Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research question!

Has anybody listened to "The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield" box set that came out fairly recently?

There's not much helpful info either on the BF site or the TARDIS Wiki, and I'm trying to figure out where it fits into things. Is this Benny returning to the TARDIS after leaving for a while, or is she already there? The Ace in this--is it Dalek-arse-kicking Ace, or naive 'I love nitro 9, Professor!' Ace?

Help me out, team
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Research question!

Has anybody listened to "The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield" box set that came out fairly recently?

There's not much helpful info either on the BF site or the TARDIS Wiki, and I'm trying to figure out where it fits into things. Is this Benny returning to the TARDIS after leaving for a while, or is she already there? The Ace in this--is it Dalek-arse-kicking Ace, or naive 'I love nitro 9, Professor!' Ace?

Help me out, team
      Heh.

*raises hand*

I have, and I THOROUGHLY loved it.

In short,

This is the most recent adventure for Benny. She is returning to the TARDIS as a much older woman, having left quite a while ago. All other Benny stuff happens WAY before this.

As for Ace, neither! This is the Ace of Gallifrey! Student Time Lord, and represents the third key period of her life, well after Nitro-9 or Dalek-Warrior Ace.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield is excellent, though the real gems are the first and last episode. The first is so fiendishly funny that I was listening to it in bed, just before going to sleep, and I ended up far more awake afterwards than before. It was comic genius on all levels. The last entry (The Lights of Skaro) was almost entirely the opposite - it was so.... heavy yet enthralling. Almost shocking. Really dark stuff that was PERFECT as a kind of 50th Anniversary entry as well (even if it was in year 51). I can't recommend enough!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm glad you answered that question FB, cos I haven't a clue.

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 14

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...ses---offer-14

Vienna's back for more - see where it all started with both Doctor Who - The Shadow Heart on CD or Download for £5, and Vienna: Series 1, a three-disc set on CD for £20 or Download for £15.

As Nick mentions below, 2012 was the year when the Fourth Doctor arrived at Big Finish to do a full range of stories. To mark that, for the next forty-eight hours we're changing the price on all six of the Fourth Doctor season ones tales to £8.99 on CD or £6.99 on Download each, or all six bundled at £50 for CD and £40 for Download.

The Dark Eyes series marked a new level of popularity for the Eighth Doctor, and today we're putting both Dark Eyes 1 and Dark Eyes 2 down to £20 each for Download or CD. November's Dark Eyes 3 can still be pre-ordered too.

Finally, help us mark the arrival of the Counter-Measures team (as seen in Doctor Who's TV adventure Remembrance of the Daleks) as both series 1 and series 2 are each made available at £25 for Download and £30 CD.

We'll see you tomorrow for offer 15, the last in this epic Big Finish 15 celebration!

Comment

Urg...I'd like to give the Fourth Doctor Adventures a go, but that comes out to over $90 CAD. That's a bit steep for me, for just six stories

I will, however, take advantage of The Shadow Heart's sale. That was a damn good story, that one!

Also, not sure if you guys have been on the Dark Eyes 3 page recently or not, but I was just looking at it and noticed that they've finally given a blurb, plus announced both the full cast and the individual episode titles:

Blurb:
          Spoiler:
          "Molly O'Sullivan? Hello you."

In his quest for universal domination, the Master plans to exploit the terrifying Infinite Warriors of the mysterious Eminence. The Doctor's friend, Molly, is key to that plan's execution, and now, aided by corrupted genius Sally Armstrong, the Master is close to success.

Paranoid and perplexed after his recent experience, the Doctor skirts the fringes of the fifty-year conflict between humanity and the Infinite Armies. Wary of changing the course of history, he fears that to fight the Eminence would be to do the Daleks' bidding. But when Time Lord CIA agent Narvin provides the impetus for the Doctor to act, Liv Chenka joins him in a desperate race to save their friend and stop the Master.

As the Doctor goes head to head with his oldest and deadliest rival, this war is about to get very personal indeed...

Cast
          Spoiler:
          Cast

Paul McGann (The Doctor), Nicola Walker (Liv Chenka), Ruth Bradley (Molly O'Sullivan), Alex Macqueen (The Master), Natalie Burt (Dr Sally Armstrong), David Sibley (The Eminence), Sean Carlsen (Narvin)

1: The Death of Hope
          Georgie Fuller (Hope Gardner), Geoffrey Breton (Leo Gardner)

2: The Reviled
          Sacha Dhawan (Jaldam), Sarah Mowat (Gajeeda), Laura Riseborough (Sharma)

3: Masterplan
          David Sibley (Professor Markus Schriver), John Banks (Captain/Lieutenant)

4: Rule of the Eminence
          Jonathan Forbes (Walter Vincent), Beth Chalmers (Casey Carraway), Georgia Moffett (Engineer Tallow)

Comments:
          Spoiler:
          Liv Chenka! The Eminence! Coordinator Narvin!

I wonder--will Narvin's appearance aid at all in placing the Gallifrey series relative to the Eighth Doctor's personal timeline?

I live in hope
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            This is the most recent adventure for Benny. She is returning to the TARDIS as a much older woman, having left quite a while ago. All other Benny stuff happens WAY before this.

As for Ace, neither! This is the Ace of Gallifrey! Student Time Lord, and represents the third key period of her life, well after Nitro-9 or Dalek-Warrior Ace.
            Okay given that...does the set contain any other references to the Seventh Doctor's timeline, that we might take a stab at where it sits?

I was thinking that -- narratively -- it might slide well in between the two versions of Klein. That way the Doctor is travelling alone when rejoined by Ace/Benny at the start of TNBSA (so no there's no disruption of other companions to worry about). Plus if it's student Time Lord Ace, then it makes a nice recent reminder of what she's up to when we first hear her voice in UNIT: Dominion.

But as I've not listened to TNBSA, I could be totally ignorant of some little reference that completely invalidates this (admittedly completely speculative) idea. So: are there any other timeline touchpoints in TNBSA that help to line it up in the Seventh Doctor's personal timeline?

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
            I'm glad you answered that question FB, cos I haven't a clue.
            Ha, well, I did put it out there because I haven't a clue either

Comment

I'd suggest it definitely has to be BEFORE the post-Dominion Klein adventures, simply because he's not quite so weary and dark as he is with Klein. I'm also tempted to suggest that it happens before his lone adventures....

It may not be much... but... based on his dress sense on the cover image, I'd suggest it was likely before UNIT Dominion... because by that point in time he's gone for the tweed....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Having just listened to The Light At The End, I just got a brilliant idea: imagine, if they would've had the Master or the evildoers in the weapons factory kill the Seventh Doctor and have him regenerate into the Eighth Doctor early?
                After everything is said and done, the Time Lords wouldn't dare to tamper with the timelines further and the early regeneration wouldn't really change the 8th Doctor's life that much(besides making him older in his era). He might check the scanner in the TV movie, thus saving himself from being shot and stop the Master anyway.
                Not only would it give a great cliffhanger and a mini-sketch where 8 gets used to his new body(and wearing 7's clothes), it'd also give 8 and 8 hilarious interaction.

And finally, 8 and Ace traveling together in a new series of audio stories. Ace would adapt to the new professor and it'd strengthen the bond between them/cause them to fall in love(you choose).

What do you think?
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                  Having just listened to The Light At The End, I just got a brilliant idea: imagine, if they would've had the Master or the evildoers in the weapons factory kill the Seventh Doctor and have him regenerate into the Eighth Doctor early?
                  After everything is said and done, the Time Lords wouldn't dare to tamper with the timelines further and the early regeneration wouldn't really change the 8th Doctor's life that much(besides making him older in his era). He might check the scanner in the TV movie, thus saving himself from being shot and stop the Master anyway.
                  Not only would it give a great cliffhanger and a mini-sketch where 8 gets used to his new body(and wearing 7's clothes), it'd also give 8 and 8 hilarious interaction.

And finally, 8 and Ace traveling together in a new series of audio stories. Ace would adapt to the new professor and it'd strengthen the bond between them/cause them to fall in love(you choose).

What do you think?
                  I suppose it would work in a Doctor Who Unbound setting, but... in fairness, it's not really my cup of tea... especially the idea of Ace and the Doctor falling in love. I'm fairly against the Doctor romancing anyone who's not a Time Lady (or there abouts). Rose is something I wipe from my own personal canon.... and overall, I like that BF expands, rather than replaces, existing canonical lore.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    I suppose it would work in a Doctor Who Unbound setting, but... in fairness, it's not really my cup of tea... especially the idea of Ace and the Doctor falling in love. I'm fairly against the Doctor romancing anyone who's not a Time Lady (or there abouts). Rose is something I wipe from my own personal canon.... and overall, I like that BF expands, rather than replaces, existing canonical lore.
                    Well, the Doctor and Ace don't have to fall in love(as I said, you choose) and it doesn't replace much, just has the regeneration happen earlier. I thought it'd shake things up a bit.
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Well, the Doctor and Ace don't have to fall in love(as I said, you choose) and it doesn't replace much, just has the regeneration happen earlier. I thought it'd shake things up a bit.
                      Like I said, sounds like a Doctor Who Unbound opportunity. You should check those out, you may like them!

I really *really* enjoyed the first three. The fourth was interesting, though very very sombre... the fifth I've struggled with, as essentially, it's NOT Doctor Who... it's about a world where Doctor Who is a failed TV show... not checked out 6-8 yet.....

But if you like the idea of alternate takes on things, Unbound could be for you. They all take 'what if' scenarios and steer the Whoniverse off on complete tangents. My favourite is Sympathy for the Devil which is a lot like Turn Left....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna check the plots first, but it sounds interesting...
                        I'd like to say though, that my idea would fit into the Whoniverse without much retconning required(besides the events of the already-chaotic TV movie). It's not that different from having Gallifrey saved in the 50th and a lot less confusing.

Comment

I'm gonna check the plots first, but it sounds interesting...
                          I'd like to say though, that my idea would fit into the Whoniverse without much retconning required(besides the events of the already-chaotic TV movie). It's not that different from having Gallifrey saved in the 50th and a lot less confusing.
                          For those of us that hold the Eighth Doctor as our favourite though, and LOVE the TV Movie... I'd really tather it *wasn't* undone....

In other news;

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 15

In late 2013 Big Finish finally confirmed a lot of fan hopes and rumours in the release of Doctor Who: The Light at the End, a story celebrating the show's 50th anniversary with all eight of the first Doctors represented - today we make the Standard edition available for £10 on CD or £8.50 on Download, or the Limited Edition for £20 on Download or £35 on CD. We've also put the unheard 5.1 mixed trailer live on the story's pages too.

It was a year when we really explored what we could do with other ideas, other shows. The Avengers - The Lost Episodes revisted a very different time of Cult televsion (volume 1 is available for this offer at £20 on Download, £25 on CD), Survivors took a regarded 1970s show and breathed infectious new life into it (volume one now available at £20 on Download, £25 on CD), receiving universal critical praise in the process. We also at last brought together an entire crew of the Liberator to record a series of full-cast Blake's 7 audio adventures, with the first - Blake's 7: Fractures - available for this offer at £6.99 on Download and £8.99 on CD, while volume 9 of the award-winning Blake's 7: The Liberator Chronicles is out today. It's worth mentioning that discount rated pre-orders or subscriptions are still available for all the next releases in The Avengers, Blake's 7 and Survivors, as well as Big Finish's 2014 celebration, The Worlds of Doctor Who.

The Eighth Doctor's first Big Finish companion - Charlotte Pollard - flew solo with four-disc set Charlotte Pollard - Series One, which can be bought here for £20 on Download and £25 on CD. And lastly, we end where Big Finish began - with Bernice Summerfield off on her adventures across the universe. The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield is available in this offer for £30 on Download and £35 on CD, a four-disc set including appearances from the Seventh Doctor and Ace, and one of the most praised Dalek stories ever.

Thank you to everyone who's participated in the Big Finish 15th Anniversary offers, be it snapping up a story that filled a gap in a collection, to taking a chance on a new range, from telling a friend about us for the first time, to emailing us best wishes. Here's to the next fifteen years!

Note that the above offers end in less that 48 hours. Clock's ticking!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I too am fond of the TV movie and the Eighth Doctor is among my top five, but I'm just saying it'd give more stories and change very little. Heck, I'd love to see another version of 7's regeneration, where he's awake for it.

Comment

Well....shoot. I was hoping for a sale on the NEDA series. Series 4 is rather pricey.

Still, this gives me a chance to check out some of the Benny stuff!

Comment

What makes Bernice Summerfield such a legend? You guys are almost drooling over her.

Comment

Working...
                                X