No announcement yet.

Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No DW? That's odd... But I did like the other Dorian Gray stuff so maybe I'll preorder the next series as long as it's discounted.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 11

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...ses---offer-11

The Doctor Who main range in 2009 saw a trilogy which told the story of a new race for the Fifth Doctor to recover the Key 2 Time, and so we're making The Judgement of Isskar, Destroyer of Delights and The Chaos Pool available for £7.50 on CD, £6.50 on Download, or Bundled as three for £15 on either format. Crucial characters in this trilogy were given their own series, so today Graceless sets 1, 2 and 3 are available for £15 each on Download or CD, or in a Bundle at £35 for all three.

The same year also saw the release of Cybermen 2, a second collection of stories focusing on one of the Doctor's most classic enemies, given the Big Finish treatment for a terrifying, thrilling ride. Today it's available for £15 on Download only. And finally, while we're talking of Cybermen, The Silver Turk pits the Eighth Doctor against one of the first classic incarnations of the monsters - available for £5 on Download or CD.

See you in less than 24 hours for offer 12...

Comment

So I've just bought the Key 2 Time Trilogy & The Silver Turk. I'm glad to got these as they are all on my wish list.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
          So I've just bought the Key 2 Time Trilogy & The Silver Turk. I'm glad to got these as they are all on my wish list.
          Key 2 Time is good. I liked that a lot. Same for the Silver Turk - it also has a GREAT intro theme.

Graceless was... ok.

I found the first one a struggle at first, though it did improve. Series 2 was good. Series 3... just felt mediocre. Not one of their finest spin off ranges.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I don't know what to make of Graceless to be honest. Looking at the descriptions I'm not certain they are my kind of thing. I think I'll listen to the Key 2 Time and then see if I like the characters.

I do fancy the Cybermen stories, but I'm happy to wait to get those. Also I need the first series, so the offer on them today isn't of any use to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
              I don't know what to make of Graceless to be honest. Looking at the descriptions I'm not certain they are my kind of thing. I think I'll listen to the Key 2 Time and then see if I like the characters.

I do fancy the Cybermen stories, but I'm happy to wait to get those. Also I need the first series, so the offer on them today isn't of any use to me.
              Yeah... I mildly enjoyed Graceless, but I wouldn't rave about them.

Cyberman is a must, but as you say - you need S1!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 12

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...ses---offer-12

Professor George Litefoot and showman Henry Gordon Jago have long been regarded as one of Doctor Who's best double-acts. In 2010 Big Finish gave them their own series and a hugely popular range was born. Today the four-volume first series of Jago & Litefoot can be bought for £20 on CD or £15 on Download, and a pre-order price on October's series 8. There's also Doctor Who - The Companion Chronicles: The Mahogany Murderers (£5 on Download or CD) which first saw Big Finish team the friends up again.

Also released in 2010 was the first of the Doctor Who: Short Trips range, audio productions written as short stories and read by known Doctor Who actors. Today all four of the compilation releases are available for £5 each on Download or CD, or as a £15 bundle. The pre-order for next year's Doctor Who: Short Trips Monthly download titles are also available, either individually or as a subscription.

No hurry... But in 24 hours we launch offer 13.

Comment

After enjoying 'Museum Peace', a free Short Trip, I decided to take advantage of the Short Trips offer today.

For anyone interested in Jago & Litefoot, definitely check out Mahogany Murderers first. Not only is it the pilot for the series, but it's also pretty good and gives you a rough idea of what to expect. I've enjoyed Jago & Litefoot, but seven series in, it's getting a little old... The first three series were the best.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I haven't listened to any Jago & Lightfoot at all, though I did like them in the Talons of Weng Chiang. So I've used the money I know my MiL will be giving me for my birthday to buy S1 and The Mahogany Murders. I'll be borrowing my Christmas money next.

Comment

Just because it's awesome.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

So my Gallifrey discs haven't arrived yet, but since I have ordered and paid for them and there's no digital download option on the BF website, I didn't feel too terribly guilty about picking them....alternatively.

Been listening to Series 1 this week (finished S1 on my drive this morning actually). I am not as overwhelmed as I'd hoped, but I have enjoyed it thus far and am looking forward to Series 2. I was especially grabbed by how 1.4 was explicitly tied into the Eighth Doctor/Charley/Zagreus storyling (I'm coming to understand what you meant earlier on, FOB). And the 'exit' of a certain guest character in that story was something I did find tugging at my heartstrings a bit. I'll be interested to see if there are any more tie-ins down the line.

Conceptually as well, it's pretty interesting to see storytelling from the point of view of the temporal powers--which, so far as POV goes, is about as akin to gods as you can get. I recently re-watched The Sound of Drums, and one bit of Doctor dialogue from that episode keeps popping into my head while I'm listening to the Gallifrey line:
                        there stood the Citadel of the Time Lords. The oldest and most mighty race in the universe. Looking down on the galaxies below, sworn never to interfere, only to watch.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          So my Gallifrey discs haven't arrived yet, but since I have ordered and paid for them and there's no digital download option on the BF website, I didn't feel too terribly guilty about picking them....alternatively.

Been listening to Series 1 this week (finished S1 on my drive this morning actually). I am not as overwhelmed as I'd hoped, but I have enjoyed it thus far and am looking forward to Series 2. I was especially grabbed by how 1.4 was explicitly tied into the Eighth Doctor/Charley/Zagreus storyling (I'm coming to understand what you meant earlier on, FOB). And the 'exit' of a certain guest character in that story was something I did find tugging at my heartstrings a bit. I'll be interested to see if there are any more tie-ins down the line.

Conceptually as well, it's pretty interesting to see storytelling from the point of view of the temporal powers--which, so far as POV goes, is about as akin to gods as you can get. I recently re-watched The Sound of Drums, and one bit of Doctor dialogue from that episode keeps popping into my head while I'm listening to the Gallifrey line:
                          Indeed, glad to hear you're enjoying. S2,3 and 6 are the pure gold series for Gallifrey, so things will REALLY start to heat up for you soon. It is *very* interesting to hear things from the Time Lord's PoV, and it gets infinitely more so as things go on. My major complaint was the theme tune though... could have done with some Murray Gold 'This is Gallifrey' if you ask me... but hey.

As you also mention, S1.4 was a very good episode, an absolutely epic standalone adventure. There's a couple of links to this in the Charlotte Pollard boxset as well, subtle ones, admittedly, but distinctly present.

Narvin is, most definitely, my favourite of the Gallifrey characters. He's so sneaky!

My only curiosity in all this is, where's Ace? It's made clear by Dominion and the New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield that as of the 7th Doctor's era, Ace is on Gallifrey. Considering that in the upcoming Gallifrey - Intervention: Earth, Ace is also in Gallifrey, I wonder where she is through S1-6....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Fifteen years ago, we released Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time, starting a tradition of audio storytelling for the worlds of Doctor Who and beyond. 2011 was both a brilliant year and a tragic one. Read on to find tributes, accounts from writers, and of course some more offers on a number of Big Finish releases.

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 13

Bernice Summerfield kicked off a lot of Big Finish's early adventures, and it's only right we mark her presence at the party. Today as we mark the events of 2011 for Big Finish, we're making that year's Bernice Summerfield boxed set Epoch available for £20 on Download or CD.

And we also wanted people to help us remember some of the much loved actors who've worked with Big Finish and delighted fans across the world. For this offer only, you can get all four adventures of our Sarah Jane Smith series at £2.99 each on Download or £5 for CD. Nick Courtney's regarded memoirs are £5 on Download, while his superb Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge Stewart co-stars opposite David Warner in two Doctor Who Unbound stories: Sympathy for the Devil and Masters of War, each £2.99 on CD or £1 as Download. Caroline John's appearance as Liz Shaw in Doctor Who - The Companion Chronicles: The Last Post is available for £5 on CD or Download, with Doctor Who - The Companion Chronicles: The Stealers from Saiph available at the same price starring Mary Tamm as the wonderful Romana.

We'll see you tomorrow for offer 14! Have a good day
                            http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...ses---offer-13

If you guys get anything from today's sale, I would HIGHLY reccommend Symoathy for the Devil. A fantastic Brig and the Doctor story.... it's not just Doctor Who Unbound, it's UNIT Unbound. It also stars David Tennant has Colonel Brimmicombe-Wood.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              My only curiosity in all this is, where's Ace? It's made clear by Dominion and the New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield that as of the 7th Doctor's era, Ace is on Gallifrey. Considering that in the upcoming Gallifrey - Intervention: Earth, Ace is also in Gallifrey, I wonder where she is through S1-6....
                              Already mentioned this in a PM, but I'll put it out here in public too... (Assuming you mean by "as of the 8th Doctor's era" as well).

I don't see that it's necessarily any contradiction that Ace didn't appear in Gallifrey S1-6. We learn in one of the Gallifrey S2 stories that just being there retards the aging process in normal mortals--they even specifically state that Leela has been on the planet for 25 years but still looks youthful. To me, that could very easily mean that Ace has just been 'away at college' learning at the Academy for the duration of S1-6, and can turn up in Intervention Earth having aged nary a day and it wouldn't be odd in the least!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                                Already mentioned this in a PM, but I'll put it out here in public too... (Assuming you mean by "as of the 8th Doctor's era" as well).

I don't see that it's necessarily any contradiction that Ace didn't appear in Gallifrey S1-6. We learn in one of the Gallifrey S2 stories that just being there retards the aging process in normal mortals--they even specifically state that Leela has been on the planet for 25 years but still looks youthful. To me, that could very easily mean that Ace has just been 'away at college' learning at the Academy for the duration of S1-6, and can turn up in Intervention Earth having aged nary a day and it wouldn't be odd in the least!
                                Wait until you've listened to S2 and 3.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X