No announcement yet.

Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, that's interesting timing. I just gave UNIT: Dominion a re-listen during my commutes this week.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      Edit - BTW Thank you Digi for putting your Guides in your sig. Makes it very handy to find & look at.
      I thought it might

Still working out kinks in a few spots though--especially the resurrection one!
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 8
        Big Finish started their Dark Shadows range in 2006, bringing to life the cult American fantasy soap opera with the same care and attention it was giving Doctor Who. Today we make four of these titles available at £2.99 on Download and £5 on CD each: House of Despair, The Book of Temptation, The Christmas Presence, and The Rage Beneath. If you've never heard a Dark Shadows title, now's a very good time to start...

In the Doctor Who universe today, we celebrate the 2006 launch of dark, psychological four-volume I, Davros with volumes 1 - Innocence, 2 - Purity, 3 - Corruption, and 4 - Guilt each available for £1 on Download or £2.99 as CD. We've also put hidden gem The Davros Mission available at £1 for the Download-only title!

The clock is ticking. in 48 hours, we'll be here for offer nine and some new offers!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...leases---day-8

I, Davros is a *very* good range. It provides a much needed backstory to everyone's favourite insane despot.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I had a bit of a panic on then. I thought that last night I'd try one of the UNIT audios to see if I like them & then download the rest of series 1 today if I did. Well I listenened to Time Heals last night & loved it, so it was a slight shock to see that Big Finish had Offfer 8 up today. But when I looked, the UNIT downloads are still only £1 each, so I've just bought the other 3 stories.
          Last edited by Blencathra; 03 August 2014, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I had a bit of a panic on then. I thought that last night I'd try one of the UNIT audios to see if I like them & then download the rest of series 1 today if I did. Well I listenened to Time Heals last night & loved it, so it was a slight shock to see that Big Finish had Offfer 8 up today. But when I looked, the UNIT downloads are still only £1 each, so I've just bought the other 3 stories.
            Agh! Panic stations!

You listened to the mini prequel 'The Coup' as well though I trust? (Tis free!) It's *essential*. Trust me on that!

What did you think to Time Heals?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes I listened to The Coup. Can't resist a freebie. But I didn't enjoy that so much. I do prefer longer stories with more plot, though as a free audio it was pretty good & I assume it's setting up the longer arc. So I thought I'd get a "proper" UNIT audio, Time Heals, and I thought that was fantastic. Exciting, well acted and has the Brigadier. I like Emily Chaudhry too & I always love it then somebody new, who knows nothing about aliens or the Doctor or whatever, finds out about them (Colonel Dalton). I'm guessing there is some mystery about what has happened to Colonel Brimmicombe-Wood that we will slowly discover over the rest of the series.

BTW yesterday I found the first BF audio that I haven't enjoyed. It was one that I was looking foward to as well, The Holy Terror. I absolutely love Frobisher in the comic strips and both he and the 6th Doctor were good in this audio. But the rest of it was just too silly for my taste. Disappointing. It could have been an excellent story if it had been played straighter. Perhaps it didn't help that I listened to it immediately after a very bleak Blake's 7 episode where we find out how Jenna's parents were tortured to death by the Federation & how she and her brother took their revenge.
              Last edited by Blencathra; 03 August 2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Yes I listened to The Coup. Can't resist a freebie. But I didn't enjoy that so much. I do prefer longer stories with more plot, though as a free audio it was pretty good & I assume it's setting up the longer arc. So I thought I'd get a "proper" UNIT audio, Time Heals, and I thought that was fantastic. Exciting, well acted and has the Brigadier. I like Emily Chaudhry too & I always love it then somebody new, who knows nothing about aliens or the Doctor or whatever, finds out about them (Colonel Dalton). I'm guessing there is some mystery about what has happened to Colonel Brimmicombe-Wood that we will slowly discover over the rest of the series.

BTW yesterday I found the first BF audio that I haven't enjoyed. It was one that I was looking foward to as well, The Holy Terror. I absolutely love Frobisher in the comic strips and both he and the 6th Doctor were good in this audio. But the rest of it was just too silly for my taste. Disappointing. It could have been an excellent story if it had been played straighter. Perhaps it didn't help that I listened to it immediately after a very bleak Blake's 7 episode where we find out how Jenna's parents were tortured to death by the Federation & how she and her brother took their revenge.
                Ahhh good good! Sorry, I get a little bit OCD about people missing essential components to the story. You're right, it's not the BEST, but The Coup serves as an introduction for Chaudhry and introduces some key ideas about ICIS that will really pay off later on. I really like Colonel Daulton, I often think it would have been excellent to have brought him into the TV series, he's such a great character - a man after The Brig's heart (back in the day, before his old 'science leads' schtick).

The Brimmicombe-Wood saga does indeed continue. If you fancy a jaunt sideways in time, check out the Doctor Who Unbound Story - "Sympathy for the Devil" which features an alternative Third Doctor who was exciled by The Time Lords to 1997, not the 70s/80s. Thus UNIT has been forced to cope without the Doctor. It's an intriguing 'Turn Left' style adventure which is frankly excellent, and sees UNIT o the international stage, being led by Col Brimmicombe-Wood (played by a VERY Scottish David Tennant) as they attempt to recover Chinese stealth technology in Hong Kong that has a possible alien origin. All the while, The Brig is retired and disgraced and running a small British Pub on the island. All in all, this gives you an idea of the type of man who's missing!

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...-the-devil-363

Back on topic, I'm glad you liked Time Heals. Particularly as it is, imo, the weakest of the four UNIT S1 entries. Snakebite offers a good old 'Monster of the Week' story, and then the Longest Night and The Wasting develop the story-proper. And they are EXCELLENT.

Reference The Holy Terror.... interesting. I must admit, I really enjoyed it. I actually found the entire concept to be rather sinister in a lot of ways... but I can understand how, after Blake's 7, it may not appear so....

Let me know how you get on with the next UNIT adventures? You may not have gathered... I rather have a fondness for UNIT....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Oh wow, do you really?!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Oh wow, do you really?!
                    Just a tiny bit

This discussion is making me really nostalgic to go back and re-listen to the UNIT audios. But I've got so many other things I need to listen to first!
                    Last edited by Flyboy; 03 August 2014, 09:33 PM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Big Finish's 15th Anniversary of Doctor Who releases - Offer 9!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...leases---day-9

Fifteen years ago, we released Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time, starting a tradition of audio storytelling for the worlds of Doctor Who and beyond. In 2007 two ranges began which would prove astonishingly popular and shape how Big Finish is seen today - we get a glimpse of their origins and - of course - provide some special offers for listeners...

As part of the Big Finish 15 celebration, we're pleased to announce:

Doctor Who: The Companion Chronicles - The First Doctor Boxed Set!

New for June 2015 will be the First Doctor Boxed Set, the latest in our hugely popular Doctor Who: Companion Chronicles range. Four stories across four discs, read by fan favourites from the era and accompanied by a second actor.

Pre-orders at special prices are now available for Download and CD from here.

And for a special taste of the Doctor Who: The Early Adventures, today we put live the trailer for Domain of the Voord! Pre-orders are still available on this impending title...

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 9

Today we're making four Doctor Who - The Companion Chronicles available, one each for the first four Doctors at £5 for CD or Download each: The Time Museum features William Russell as Ian Chesterton, The Forbidden Time has Anneke Wills and Frazer Hines, Katy Manning voices Jo Grant in The Many Deaths of Jo Grant, and lastly Lalla Ward's second Romana is the narrator of The Invasion of E-Space.

To celebrate the teaming of Sheridan Smith and Paul McGann as the hugely popular pairing of Lucie Miller and the Eighth Doctor, we're making the entire first season of their adventures available at £5 each for Download or CD, or there's a Bundle of all eight volumes at £25 for Download or £30 on CD.

We'll see you for offer ten in but a short day!

Comment

FB - I'll let you know how I get on with the other UNIT audio. I may take them on holiday with me.

Once again with today's offer BF is tempting me to spend money I haven't got.

Comment

FB - I'll let you know how I get on with the other UNIT audio. I may take them on holiday with me.

Once again with today's offer BF is tempting me to spend money I haven't got.
                          The UNIT audios were my first ever Big Finish dramas... so they have a permanent place in my heart!

I know right... I'm being bankrupted by all these damn new releases too! Gallifrey - Intervention Earth has me VERY excited.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Fortunately (for my bank balance) the last couple sales have given me a bit of a respite. The sales have been things that I either already have (I Davros, S1 of NEDA), or else am not really interested in (CC).

But let's see what tomorrow brings, shall we?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Fortunately (for my bank balance) the last couple sales have given me a bit of a respite. The sales have been things that I either already have (I Davros, S1 of NEDA), or else am not really interested in (CC).

But let's see what tomorrow brings, shall we?
                              I can't wait for Day 15... I have a hunch it will be SPECTACULAR!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Big Finish's 15th Anniversary of Doctor Who releases - Offer 10!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...ses---offer-10

Fifteen years ago, we released Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time, starting a tradition of audio storytelling for the worlds of Doctor Who and beyond. It's that "beyond" aspect we look at today - it's often said at Big Finish that "We love stories", so where better to look than at some real Classic tale? Read on for exclusive news and pre-order of a new release, another offer, and Nick Briggs revealing the intense difficulties of Big Finish rights-negotiations...

We're very, very pleased to be able to announce the following as part of the Big Finish 15 celebration:

Sherlock Holmes had many secrets. This is the greatest of them.

"Our knowledge of the life and career of Mr Sherlock Holmes is necessarily partial and inexact. Riddled with lacunae and ambiguities, its parameters are defined chiefly by what his friend and colleague, Dr John Watson, saw fit to record. One era in particular – those enigmatic years in which, believed dead at the Reichenbach Falls, the Great Detective roved the world incognito – has been shrouded in obscurity and doubt, the particulars of that time too terrible and too strange to be set down in full.

At least, that is, until now…"

Pre-orders are now available for The Judgement of Sherlock Holmes, a full-cast audio as a four-disc CD set (also available on Download) released in December 2014! The latest in Big Finish's acclaimed Sherlock Holmes series, this Jonathan Barnes-written story sees Nicholas Briggs and Richard Earl reprise their praised Holmes and Watson performances, accompanied by a sterling guest cast including Terrence Hardiman, John Banks, Tim Bentinck, Jemma Churchill and Gemma Whelan.

Also, this morning we're able to reveal:

Ahead of its release this November, Big Finish is pleased to reveal casting for the third series of The Confessions of Dorian Gray, starring Alexander Vlahos as the titular antihero!

Spoilered for length
                                Spoiler:

‘Series three is a bit of a different beast from what’s come before,’ explains producer and director Scott Handcock. ‘Alex and I were both very keen to do something different this time round, and what we have in store will hopefully please long-standing fans of the range, as well as keeping everyone on their toes and delivering something new! Not only have we eight episodes now instead of five, but we’re making the most of the extended run to try a few new things, and we’re driving Dorian’s story in directions we haven’t before…’

Also returning alongside Alexander Vlahos’s Dorian are a number of familiar characters from previous releases, including Miles Richardson (The Picture of Dorian Gray) as Henry Wotton, David Blackwell (The Fallen King of Britain) as Simon Darlow, and Bernard Holley (The Mayfair Monster) as an older incarnation of Dorian Gray himself.

‘There’s been a certain joy to building up Dorian’s world over the past few series,’ continues Scott, ‘and we’ve always had at the back of our mind how certain characters or actors might return, depending on the storylines we’re telling. Dorian’s no stranger to flashbacks and hallucinations - phantoms even - so it’s all too easy to flesh out a bit of backstory should the opportunity arise! But we’ve also got a whole host of brand-new characters for him to encounter, and a cracking cast on board to play them!’

Doctor Who stars Nicola Bryant and Terry Molloy finally get the opportunity to act alongside one another for the first time since filming Revelation of the Daleks in 1985, and are joined by fellow Doctor Who guest stars Annette Badland (Boom Town), Tracey Childs (The Fires of Pompeii), Barnaby Edwards (Dalek operator), and Edward Harrison, who is set to appear in the forthcoming eighth series alongside Peter Capaldi’s Doctor!

Completing the line-up are Sean Biggerstaff (Harry Potter), Blake Ritson (Da Vinci’s Demons), Sophie Wu (Fresh Meat), Laura Doddington (Graceless), Toby Longworth, Alex Jordan, Christopher Allen and Andrew Pepper.

The eight-episode series due in November can be pre-ordered now on CD (£20) and Download (£18), and will also include a bonus disc of behind-the-scenes interviews with cast and crew.

For the latest updates, follow the Dorian Gray Twitter account: @DorianGrayBFP

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Offer 10

For the next forty-eight hours, we mark the start of the Big Finish Classics range in 2008 by making our entire Classic range eligible for a 15% discount. Simply chose your titles, and when prompted give the discount code BIG15F2008 for a 15% on any title. Note that discount codes cannot be used on Subscription orders, but that for the next 48 hours the subscriptions have been reduced by 15% too.

Revisit the Phantom of the Opera, take a voyage to Treasure Island with Tom Baker, or perhaps hang out in 221B for an evening with Holmes and Watson in our other Sherlock Holmes titles (please note that discounts do not apply to pre-orders). This also applies to our entire The Confessions of Dorian Grey series - but please note this range contains adult material and is not suitable for children. Time is also running out on pre-ordering on CD or Download for Big Finish's impending Frankenstein production!

Offer eleven will follow offer ten in but 24 hours. It's a wonderful thing, Time...

Comment

Working...
                                X