Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
    Digi, I'm on the verge of asking you to marry me right now (for the love of God don't tell my partner I said that!).
    *snort*

I absolutely LOVE your chronologisation (new word) of Who - absolute mission, and absolute awesomeness. You should do it for ALL of their dramas, including Spin Offs, and email it to Big Finish so they can put it on their website!
    You know what's amusing about it is that I find it extremely cathartic/relaxing to my OCD to do things like this (I think I must've been an accountant or a clerk or something in a past life). HENCE doing it here, the Trek one, and many others I haven't shared. It's nice to be able to turn a complex into something productive

(though I DID find a flaw in your Star Trek chronology )
    One? In 700odd episodes?! I think I'll still chalk that one up in the Win column

Though it nags me now -- WHAT WAS IT???

I agree with you about the Cyberman Series on all points... however I can see why Dalek Empire went unresolved... the entire Dalek empire itself is largely open in the Whoniverse...
    That is very true, I'll admit. I guess I'm just a bit hung up on it because the first three series gave so many specific details--the other Dalek faction, the status of Earth, etc. It isn't often the Doctor goes to Earth to find it dominated by Daleks, and without a Doctor-specific appearance to resolve it, it would've been nice to know how the Humans managed things without Time Lord assistance.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      *snort*

You know what's amusing about it is that I find it extremely cathartic/relaxing to my OCD to do things like this (I think I must've been an accountant or a clerk or something in a past life). HENCE doing it here, the Trek one, and many others I haven't shared. It's nice to be able to turn a complex into something productive
      And I, for one, am grateful!

One? In 700odd episodes?! I think I'll still chalk that one up in the Win column

Though it nags me now -- WHAT WAS IT???
      Can't remember exactly, it was DS9. It concerned the episode where Jake and Ben Sisko visit Earth and Nog is already at the academy and there's shenanigans with Red Squad. But the next scheduled episode shows Nog LEAVING for starfleet academy for the first time....

That is very true, I'll admit. I guess I'm just a bit hung up on it because the first three series gave so many specific details--the other Dalek faction, the status of Earth, etc. It isn't often the Doctor goes to Earth to find it dominated by Daleks, and without a Doctor-specific appearance to resolve it, it would've been nice to know how the Humans managed things without Time Lord assistance.
      Spoiler:

I think, frankly, it's a case of the humans had to become as ruthless as the daleks to win, and they did.... I seem to remember one audio, but it's hazy... where there was some suggestion that they had actually achieved this, not sure which... That's going to bug me now... but I recall thinking... 'ah, so THIS is what they meant at the end of dalek empire III'.... Maybe Enemy of the Daleks....

You should check out "Museum Peace" btw, it's a companion chronicle style story told by Karlendorf about a meeting with originally and presumably, the Eighth Doctor, but what would now appear to be the War Doctor (in retrospect). It serves as an epilogue to the Dalek Empire Saga and a prelude to Day of the Doctor (essentially).

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much for the lists Digi. I've bookmarked them for future reference. Very handy indeed. I hadn't noticed the production codes either.

Right I'm off to sit in the sunshine to read the latest DWM & to listen to The Apocalypse Element (Bliss!). Thank you for the info about that everyone.

Comment

Big Finish announce production of Doctor Who: Damaged Goods

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...-damaged-goods

Damaged Goods, the Doctor Who novel written by Russell T Davies a decade before he became showrunner on the TV series, is being adapted as a full cast audio by Big Finish Productions. The two-hour adaptation is written by Jonathan Morris, and will be released in August 2015...

‘I’ve always been a huge fan of Big Finish, since long before I took the big chair on Doctor Who. And long after!’ says Russell. ‘So when they asked if they could adapt Damaged Goods… well, to be honest, I asked them what took so long!

‘Jonny has done the most brilliant job, adapting the novel - there’s lots of fascinating new stuff, while staying very true and faithful to the original story. At last, Mrs Jericho lives! And that other Tyler family, the original Tylers, Bev and her mum Winnie, with little Gabriel and his mysterious gift. In fact, all the inhabitants of Red Hamlets are finding their voices, after all this time. Ever since that terrible bargain was struck by Bev’s mum, on that dark Christmas Eve, long ago.’

Sylvester McCoy plays the Seventh Doctor, who is accompanied in his travels by companions Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester – although the casting of these roles has yet to be announced.

‘It was genuinely thrilling to be asked to adapt Damaged Goods,’ adds Jonathan. ‘An honour, and a great responsibility to do justice to Russell’s extraordinary novel and to not disappoint fans of the New Adventures. I pulled out all the stops to capture the spirit of the novel, the character and Russell’s voice, and the end result is undoubtedly the best Big Finish script I’ve worked on.’

The producer of the audio is David Richardson, who – by a strange twist of fate – is actually connected to the book being written in the first place.

‘Back in 1995, I was working for a publishing company called Visual Imagination on a magazine called TV Zone,’ says David. ‘I’d seen Russell’s two BBC Childrens’ series Dark Season and Century Falls, and thought they were magnificent. So I set up an interview with him, and we met in a cafe in Piccadilly.

‘I remember saying to him, “You’d be the perfect person to write for Doctor Who”, and he said he was a fan of the show. So I gave him a contact at Virgin Books, and he followed it up and ended up writing for the New Adventures series.

‘I’ve always loved Damaged Goods. It’s one of my favourite Doctor Who stories in any medium, so to have the opportunity to bring it to audio with a full cast of actors has been a privilege indeed. And, even though he’s incredibly busy on his new TV project, Russell has been so kind and generous with his time, reading the script and making some brilliant suggestions that we’ve taken on board.’

Staying with the New Adventures, Big Finish will also be adapting The Well Mannered War, which was written by Gareth Roberts (The Lodger, Closing Time) and stars Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor, Lalla Ward as Romana, and John Leeson as K9. This follows on the heels of Gareth’s storiesThe Romance of Crime and The English Way of Death, which are due to be released in January 2015.

Damaged Goods and The Well Mannered War will be available as vanilla two-disc editions, and also together in a deluxe Limited Collectors Edition, which features lavish illustrations and professional portrait photography of the cast. Pre-orders are now available.

Keep an eye on the Big Finish website for cast announcements soon...

Comment

Ooo...I am intrigued...
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Digi,

I'm half way through the last Vienna story in the boxset. I have to say... I'm not overwhelmed. It's ok, but... well, Memory Box was better. It just is... ok. Maybe it's because I've just listened to Dark Eyes 2... which was amazing.... but Vienna S1 isn't thrilling me...

On a separate note, I wish to God they'd adapt 'The Dying Days' to an audio.... the only obstacle, alas, is the passing of the great Nicholas Courtney. I wish they'd done that whilst he was still with us....

On a similar vein, I'd love to see some of the 8th Doctor BBC Books adapted... but I'm not sure McGann would go in for that....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Digi,

I'm half way through the last Vienna story in the boxset. I have to say... I'm not overwhelmed. It's ok, but... well, Memory Box was better. It just is... ok. Maybe it's because I've just listened to Dark Eyes 2... which was amazing.... but Vienna S1 isn't thrilling me...
                Oh...dear. That's unfortunate, I really enjoyed her in The Shadow Heart and found Memory Box a touch disappointing. I'd been hoping that series 1 would be better... =\

Anyhow, thanks for that!

On a similar vein, I'd love to see some of the 8th Doctor BBC Books adapted... but I'm not sure McGann would go in for that....
                Maybe it's just a frame of mind I've been in since The Day of the Doctor, but for a while now I've been feeling like McGann might be reaching the end of his time with Big Finish. It's no one single thing, and they obviously have the freedom to write stories for pretty much as long as they like; just a feeling I've been having like things are drawing to a close.

I hope not, though.

Comment

Maybe it's just a frame of mind I've been in since The Day of the Doctor, but for a while now I've been feeling like McGann might be reaching the end of his time with Big Finish. It's no one single thing, and they obviously have the freedom to write stories for pretty much as long as they like; just a feeling I've been having like things are drawing to a close.

I hope not, though.

I think he may be, afterall, the monthly range no longer features him, and NEDA has ceased. Yes we have Dark Eyes but... well... I remember during the Divergent Universe arc, he nearly left, because he was bored. Reportedly, McGann needs to really have his interest peaked in this sorta stuff... he seems to like dark and gritty more than anything else.... if they can keep that up, then they'll keep him... but...

He's doing four Dark Eyes installments... after that, to be honest... I don't think they could go anywhere with him other than actually going into ACTUAL Time War stuff and building up to his death in Night of the Doctor...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-...leases---day-2

BIG FINISH'S 15TH ANNIVERSARY OF DOCTOR WHO RELEASES - DAY 2!

In 1999 we released The Sirens of Time as our first audio production connected to Doctor Who. As we moved into 2000, the range grew. Read on for some quotes and offers relating to that second year...

Big Finish's Doctor Who at 15 - Day 2

To mark the second day of our celebration, we're making the downloads of six early Doctor Who Big Finish adventures available, each for £1. For Peter Davison's Fifth Doctor there's Spare Parts and Land of the Dead, for Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor there's Jubilee, The Holy Terror and The Apocalypse Element and for Sylvester McCoy's Seventh Doctor there's Dust Breeding.

The writer of a couple of these titles - Rob Shearman - came in last week to do a Podcast about his Big Finish time - click here to listen absolutely free, and perhaps enter the competition...

Lastly for today, we've dipped into a few of the full-price monthly range and for £5 on CD or Download are offering: The Fifth Doctor's The Game, The Sixth Doctor's Medicinal Purposes and the Seventh Doctor's Unregenerate!

These special offers end in 24 hours, at which point we'll see you for Day 3...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Alright...this is by no means done, but I've plugged away at it long enough that I think it's at least presentable.

CAUTION: Contains spoilers re: deaths of characters.

Linkification--hopefully it displays okay for you guys.

A couple of caveats:
                      • where you see some stories at the bottom a few spaces down, are stories where I have some info but not enough to definitively place them
                      • Yes, I know that the Early Adventures are to involve both the 1st and 2nd Doctor eras; it was just convenient to put them on one sheet
                      • Bonus and Special Releases often omit 'proper' production codes, so placing them is a bit of guesswork paired with prowling the TARDIS Wikia. Take the placement of those stories with a grain of salt
                      • I have not listened to all of the standalone lines, so my knowledge there is necessarily incomplete until I do get around to checking them out
                      Last edited by DigiFluid; 24 July 2014, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Oh well done Digi!!! That is fantastic!! Excellent work! Biggest green ever for you.

Comment

Alright...this is by no means done, but I've plugged away at it long enough that I think it's at least presentable.

CAUTION: Contains spoilers re: deaths of characters.

Linkification--hopefully it displays okay for you guys.

A couple of caveats:
                          • where you see some stories at the bottom a few spaces down, are stories where I have some info but not enough to definitively place them
                          • Yes, I know that the Early Adventures are to involve both the 1st and 2nd Doctor eras; it was just convenient to put them on one sheet
                          • Bonus and Special Releases often omit 'proper' production codes, so placing them is a bit of guesswork paired with prowling the TARDIS Wikia. Take the placement of those stories with a grain of salt
                          • I have not listened to all of the standalone lines, so my knowledge there is necessarily incomplete until I do get around to checking them out
                          Excellent!!!

Although, Key2Time is actually a 5th Doctor story

Seriously though, well done! Very impressed - especially for Seventh. (Though Raine in Dominion still does my head in).

I think when you do get round to Gallifrey, you should see it through Eight's timeline, as it's essentially a spin off from Zagreus and represents Eight's 'present day'. What do you think?

Kudos!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Blen

Re: Key2Time - Oh...RIGHT you are! I wonder what the heck I did there? I'll have to check once I get home

As to Gallifrey, that (and other standalone ranges) was kind of what I was alluding to when I said above that I won't know till I check them out....

This is an expensive frellin' habit. Good thing I don't smoke as well, or else I'd really be broke!
                            Last edited by DigiFluid; 25 July 2014, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks Blen

Re: Key2Time - Oh...RIGHT you are! I wonder what the heck I did there? I'll have to check once I get home

As to Gallifrey, that (and other standalone ranges) was kind of what I was alluding to when I said above that I won't know till I check them out....

This is an expensive frellin' habit. Good thing I don't smoke as well, or else I'd really be broke!
                              I know what you mean ref expensive.... :/ I'm the same, I don't drink - so I probably spend what others spend on alcohol on these things...

Ref Gallifrey - I know, I wasn't criticising. My point was just that whilst most of the other Standalone ranges kinda HAVE to be put into their own chronologies and not the Doctor's because, well, time is relative, Gallifrey is the one exception. Given that Timelords cannot go into the past or future of Gallifrey, essentially the events og the series Gallifrey must run in parallel with the Doctor's own life. When you consider that both the Eighth Doctor Adventures and Gallifrey are building up to the Time War it would just make sense to me if it were possible to slot them into Eight's chronology. Also given that reportedly Dark Eyes 3 will see a major Gallifrey character involved....

Seriously though - I am majorly impressed. One of these days I'll have to do the WHOLE thing in order!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Ref Gallifrey - I know, I wasn't criticising. My point was just that whilst most of the other Standalone ranges kinda HAVE to be put into their own chronologies and not the Doctor's because, well, time is relative, Gallifrey is the one exception. Given that Timelords cannot go into the past or future of Gallifrey, essentially the events og the series Gallifrey must run in parallel with the Doctor's own life.
                                Ohh, yes yes. I see what you're getting at now. If 'Gallifrey' seems to lead up to the War, I imagine you're probably right about it sliding in alongside his life. I seem to recall Romana is Lord/Lady President right around the time Eight and Charley go to the Divergent universe, and she's President during 'Gallifrey' as well, isn't she?

All this talk of 'Gallifrey' the last few pages of this thread is kind of getting me jazzed about checking it out! But I think I will wait out the BF15 sales....not that I expect a spin-off box set to be on sale or anything, but just in case

Comment

Working...
                                X