Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Through Doctor Who (Spoilers all Eps aired on BBC/BBCA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh just wait until you can see Dr.WHO and the Daleks Invasion of Earth: The Movie!

I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

I heard Bernard Cribbins was in it, so it can't be too bad.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        I heard Bernard Cribbins was in it, so it can't be too bad.
        Yeah. Keep telling your self that.
        I like Sharky
        sigpic

Comment

The Crusade is a bitter story in many ways.

The TARDIS ends up outside of Jaffa during the Third Crusade. The TARDIS crew get separated as usual and end up getting involved with King Richard the Lionheart's issues. And then they just decide to screw it mid-story and get out of there.

The first episode is terribly disappointing and weakly acted. They couldn't even make arrows fly? The only ones who seem to care are William Hartnell, Julian Glover and Douglas Camfield(who directed some really wonderful camera shots).

Hartnell's enthusiasm is understandable, since he normally used historicals as a way to have fun with his role(no complicated technobabble to remember). This is really what he's best at. Inside this bleak storyline, he mainly functions as comic relief. Yes, you read that right. THE DOCTOR is comic relief in his own show.

Julian Glover is magnificient as King Richard the Lionheart, taking it absolutely seriously(I've never seen Game Of Thrones, but this is probably what it'd be like) to the point where his anguish over the war that he is presiding over would likely bring some people to tears. There's something wonderfully regal about the actor and it inspires loyalty. Best actor in Doctor Who thus far IMO.

William Russell seems drunk during his first episode, no joke. He comes out of the bushes(still wearing that awful jacket from The Web Planet) with his hair in tangles and his eyes rolling around. His acting is also insanely flat. I mean, look at the scene where the Doctor gives him King Richard's belt. He just takes it, goes "oh yeah" and puts it on his shoulder.
          Fortunately in later episodes, Sir Ian quickly regains his composure and has some really funny scenes with a thief called Ibrahim and later threatening to execute the Doctor if he doesn't stop the puns.

Barbara gets kidnapped by whoever the villain was in Marco Polo. Really, there's hardly any distinction between them. There's a subplot where she escapes and gets captured, escapes and gets captured again and again until poor Sir Ian finally shows up with his sword(a shame it was in a recon).

Vicki continues to not have a single scene without the Doctor(it's really creepy at certain points since she's only known him for a few months really), thus having less personality than Susan did. Her child voice is really grating too. At least Susan had the unearthly thing about her.

And of course in Episode 4, the characters just leave Richard to his troubles and make their way back to the TARDIS. The end.
          I don't think there's anything more to add.

Coming next on Going Through Doctor Who: The Day Of The Doctor.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

It is the 10th of April, my 16th birthday and as promised, I have a review for you.

The Day Of The Doctor IS flawed. Many things don't make sense, some things are annoying, but I can't, I just cannot dislike it in any way. Let's get started.

I've already said all that needs saying about Matt Smith in my Series 7 review and my opinion of him hasn't changed. He's cool. Cool-io. He is the king of cool! My favourite line from him was "Well, I always wanted to meet someone called Yes."

David Tennant returns as the slightly goofy Tenth Doctor. It's been several years since he played in the role, so it comes as a no surprise that he's a bit off, but he never goes into the OOC zone. Funny thing is, there are several jokes he does that I hated when I saw them in Youtube, but now, they strangely fit. Except one(which I will get into later). Kudos to Sandshoes.

John Hurt plays the War Doctor. He gives the character his own touch and is a reassuringly First Doctor-esque presence in the story, but I can't shake the feeling that he is to Christopher Eccleston what Richard Hurndall was to William Hartnell. He was also a bit thick when he couldn't figure out why the future Doctors were scared of him.

The three heroes all meet because of the Moment, a sentient bomb that is trying to NOT be blown up(funny that) who is played pretty sweetly by Billie Piper. The Doctors all do the expected round of bickering(not nearly as much as the old ones though) and eventually get mixed up with UNIT, which is being invaded by the Zygons(who are as stupid as the Sontarans) who want to claim the planet. The Doctors stop the perilous situation by somehow popping into the Fall Of Arcadia and out again(I'd say it was the Moment, but they didn't seem surprised so it can't be). After the situation is resolved, the War Doctor is assured that his future's nice and dandy and pops back into the Time War.
            Only this time, the Tenth and Eleventh come with him to help him push the big bad button. Except they don't and they hide Gallifrey in a pocket universe. That actually made sense. Wowsers.

I'm not all too keen why they can't bring it OUT again from the painting, but I guess that'll be resolved at some point.
            So then Tom shows up to tell us all that the Doctor is going to retire and since he's not depressed, Gallifrey will be saved and there's no point to watch the show anymore. That's nice of him. The end.

That was all the cool bits. Now to the bad bits. As you've obviously noticed, there was a lot less wrong with it than I dreaded, but some things are still worth nitpicking.
            1) The round things are hatches in front of the various systems of the TARDIS. The Doctor should remember something as basic as that.
            2) Bringing back the Zygons equals bringing back the Menoptera for me.
            3) UNIT still hasn't had a heroic story since the Brigadier retired(and died).
            4) The Tenth Doctor didn't inquire further about the Bad Wolf?
            5) Elizabeth the First was really annoying. Centuries ago, I could've gotten executed for that.
            6) Despite all the big and nostalgic things that happened, there wasn't anything really innovative and memorable about this episode.
            7) BBC nowadays thinks that we're idiots so they have to put their name into every logo.
            8) Since when is Clara a teacher?
            9) How did UNIT get photographs of Ian wearing his Marco Polo outfit?
            10) The War Doctor's TARDIS was a cheap mix of classic and the Eccleston/Tennant styles. I would've accepted it if they said his desktop was broken, but they did not. Well, it glitched at one point, but that was the 10th's ship.
            11) Why were there old wheels in the barn? The Time Lords still have those?
            12) The Time War was remarkably straight-forward for something called the Time War. And for something being directed and written by Steven Moffat.
            13) That General guy was pretty distressed at the sight of three Doctors. I bet it was his bright idea to send William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton to help Jon Pertwee.
            14) That ding machine looked like the one from Planet Of The Dead. A crap story to be nostalgic about.
            15) The editing was horrible. There were a lot of random cuts that didn't need to be there and made no sense(one had everyone around the Doctor disappear for a second and reappear with no explanation)
            16) How did the Ninth Doctor get a new sonic screwdriver, a new console room, a new costume(okay, that wasn't too hard), an attitude that says it's been quite a while since the Time War and a penchant for chasing plastic dummies in the space of what must've been two days(maximum time for not seeing your own reflection)?
            17) Some of Tom Baker's expressions were really weird. He seemed terrified when he walked away.
            18) "Because the alternative would be death." I really wish I could've heard Eccleston there, followed by Tennant and then Smith.

So, now that I've droned on long enough, what is my general opinion? Well, it did its job as the anniversary special. It filled a quota. But that's all I can really say. The only bits that were truly priceless were the scenes between the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors and the dream sequence at the very end.
            Geronimo, Allons-y and a terribly missing
            FAN-TASTIC!!
            See you all at The Space Museum!

EDIT: I feel like I didn't give the episode enough credit, so let me add that I was thoroughly entertained, the chemistry between the trio was great, the writing was top-notch as usual and it was brilliant to have David Tennant back. I wanted it to go on longer.

EDIT 2: Another thing I forgot to criticise was the title. In the very first episode, Hartnell said that "one day, we shall get back. Yes, one day." The Day Of The Doctor should've been the name of the very last episode.
            Last edited by rushy; 11 April 2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
              17) Some of Tom Baker's expressions were really weird.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                That expression looks like it fits whatever scene he's in. However, Tom Baker's sudden look of terror in his cameo just came out of nowhere. He should've done a bit of practise in front of a mirror.

Comment

I've got good news and bad news for you, folks. The good news is that my birthday presents have finally arrived. 8 new Doctor Who DVDs! I happen to live in a country where they aren't sold at all so it's a big thing. The stories are The Tenth Planet, The War Games, The Green Death, Genesis Of The Daleks, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors, Remembrance Of The Daleks and Survival.
                  Now, unlike the earlier two stories I got, I've decided not to review these ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, this means that there's gonna be a delay until May. That rhymed. Heh. But anyways, in May I'll finally get a laptop that isn't falling to bits(literally) and I can resume with The Space Museum.

Over and out.

Comment

My reviews are pretty much limping on other people's computers... oh well.
                    The Space Museum is an average Doctor Who story. It's far from bad and it's far from good.
                    Episode 1 baffles me. It features the psyches of the TARDIS crew going into the future and discovering that they've been made exhibits of the titular Space Museum. It's hard to get first time watching(I just realised how that actually worked whilst writing this review) and I still have one question: at what point in time did the crew actually change out from their Crusader clothes?

Plus, why did that glass break and then reappear in Vicki's hands? It hadn't happened yet? Well, it did fall down. THAT happened. It just made no sense whatsoever to me.
                    I did like how they recycled The Edge Of Destruction with the conclusion that another piece of TARDIS hardware just got stuck again.

Episodes 2-4 play out without any further surprises as just your everyday rebellion vs empire story. The only added twist is the foreknowledge that the Doctor and his companions have. I think this is also the first time we learn that in minor ways, time can be rewritten.
                    MINOR WAYS, STEVEN MOFFAT. MINOR WAYS.

William Hartnell seems to have more fun with this scientific than the other ones. He gets a nice big laugh from hiding inside a Dalek casing and we learn that his Time Lord brain can apparently protect itself from being frozen(an interesting tidbit of data).

William Russell's Sir Ian(Badass of Jaffa) finally seems to reach the peak of his character. Despite wearing an awful costume, Sir Ian goes around the whole serial as a battle-hardened mercenary, determined to find his friends at any cost. He's even grown to appreciate his life a little.

BAD GUY: Killing me will achieve nothing.
                    SIR IAN: But it may be enjoyable.

Oh yeah. He actually said that. Sir Ian is officially the Boba Fett of Doctor Who(and yes, I know Jeremy Bulloch is in this story).

Vicki I still don't like. I think it's her doe-like cutie face. It's simply annoying to watch. Susan I remember being mysterious and sensual(in the pilot anyway). Vicki is just a hyperactive brat.

And Barbara gets to have a moment when Sir Ian decides to tear up her cardigan without her permission. Is there any question why I love that guy?

The cliffhanger was absolutely riveting. The Daleks have a time machine? I bet the kids were ecstatic back in the day.

Next time: The Chase.
                    It may take another while before I'm ready to see Sir Ian leave...
                    oh yeah and Barbara too...

P.S. I've read around the Internet that the Doctor calling Sir Ian by various different names(Chatterton, Charterhouse) was a running joke. Well, I haven't heard it since The Edge Of Destruction(or maybe Marco Polo, my memory won't tell). Hardly a running joke.
                    Last edited by rushy; 02 May 2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

The Chase is a decent Dalek story, but by no means the best. It's clunky, uncoordinated and that Hammer Horror episode was a complete waste of time.

Since the events of The Dalek Invasion Of Earth, the Daleks have somehow invented time travel and use it to go hunt down their old enemies(why they don't try and change their old defeats like the Cybermen I don't know. Maybe the Master taught them the Laws Of Time). What ensues is a chase across worlds and time periods with the TARDIS crew and the Daleks trying to wipe each other out.

William Hartnell is getting on a bit I think. It may just be me, but he spent the majority of the serial just looking into the distance. It's quite odd. A definite highlight was his duel with his robot self though(played by Edward Warwick who at least looks more like Hartnell than Richard Hurndall did) even if they tried to make him look like the robot a bit too much(why would the real Doctor attack Sir Ian?)

William Russell himself is a bit tired of being Sir Ian Chesterton and in the last few stories(starting from The Crusade), his performance has been quite "by the numbers". It's still more charismatic than Peter Purves though.

Vicki was great for most of the story, minus a completely nonsensical moment on Aridius in which she(whilst giggling like she belongs in a mental asylum) tells Ian the story of a ring in sand being evil cause it raised evil castles(????????).
                      In the last episode, I liked how she suffered a nervous breakdown because of her fear of heights. It reminded me of Barbara's reaction to time travel in An Unearthly Child.

Speaking of Barbara, I know I've never really been too positive about her, but that's because she's simply not an adventurer, she's a carer(is that a word?). She's motherly, responsible, but still brave and all. It's a very nice character and the glue that holds the rest of the crew together.

As for the planets themselves, I thought the plot on Aridius was a retread of Marinus(lol) with William Hartnell's "hey auntie" bit being the only memorable part. The little sketch(?) in America would've been fine had Peter Purves not acted like Jar Jar Binks on steroids.
                      The rest were all just acceptable. There was nothing interesting and nothing new. Even the Mechanoids were just a play on the Daleks(which was probably intentional as they later fight them).

All in all, it's just going back to where we were before.
                      But the reason this story is remembered primarily is of course the departure of Barbara and Sir Ian. It's not the greatest departure, admittedly and certainly not as good as Susan's farewell, but it had its moments(the moment where I almost laughed was when Sir Ian went :O as he noticed a police box).

From what I hear, the next companion is to be Steven Taylor.
                      I'm too tired of this story to complain. Yes, I forgot to say that this story is quite dull. Not bad, but not good either.
                      I hate that kind.

EDIT: This story is also the first DW story ever to show the Time Vortex. I wasn't expecting it til the Tom Baker era.
                      Next up: The Time Of The Doctor
                      Tweak the bow-tie once more, dear friends, once more.
                      Last edited by rushy; 10 May 2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

The Time Of The Doctor was a wonderful send-off to the first man I called The Doctor. Like The End Of Time, it squeezes in a lot of times past. Sometimes it's great(the music from The Waters Of Mars) and sometimes it's not(yet ANOTHER randomly introduced character whom the Doctor has known for ages?!?!?).

Still, it has it's problems. Firstly, the story feels rather short. Blink and you miss it. Basically, the Doctor has found the Time Lords trying to come through on Trenzalore and stays there for 300 years, protecting the village of Christmas(Moffat's giving it all, ain't he? *sarcasm*)
                        I loved seeing the Doctor turn old again. Matt Smith plays grandpa incredibly well and it's lovely to see him stand still for once. So kudos to that. It was atmospheric and brilliant.

Unfortunately, Clara does not fare so well. Leaving aside the fact that she has a whole family we've never met before(and the awkward naked scene), she's become pretty much the 80s companion. No backstory, no development, no future, no past. She's just... Clara. Fortunately, Coleman is a very impressive actress and manages to keep her character juuuuuust inside the border of memorable. It's a feat, I tell you.

As I stated earlier, Tasha Lem is an absolute travesty. She's basically another River Song, another Madame Vastra, another god-awful flirt whom the Doctor has never-before-heard-of history with and yet we're supposed to care. Please don't let her show up again, pleaaaase.

I'm sure there are plenty more references and little easter eggs hidden inside the special, but I caught three.
                        1) The Seal Of The High Council(stolen by the Third Doctor in The Five Doctors and not given back for some reason).
                        2) THE DOCTOR IS REQUIRED(said by WOTAN in The War Machines with a slight difference).
                        3) The reference to the Meta-Crisis Tenth Doctor. Vanity issues, indeed.

If the Silence wanted to kill the Doctor, what were they doing in 60s America?

Handles was great. He was like the Doctor's own little Wilson. Not really alive(well, the sarcastic "affirmative" was probably the closest the new Cybermen have come to the old times), but still around enough for him and us to develop an affection.

Does this story serve as a Christmas special? Well, kind of. To be honest, I think that making the final story of a Doctor a celebration of something else is a stupid idea. It's just too littered with past, present and future DW references to be a Christmas tradition. And of course, Steven Moffat's obsession with Victorian ages continues to thrive. I love Victorian, but can't we have Christmas elsewhere for once?

This story introduces the fourth poem that involves our main characters(previous ones are "A Good Man Goes To War", "Tick Tock, Goes The Clock" and "The Whisper Men").
                        This one I think is a real one and fits the situation perfectly without being contrived like the other three. Congratulations, Steven. You nailed it. At last.

Now all that's left to talk about is the regeneration itself. Personally, I think it's pretty good. The whole blowing up the Clock Tower reeks of trying to beat the Tenth Doctor's blowing up the TARDIS, but I didn't mind the grandiose. After all, we are starting a new regeneration cycle.

The last scene in the TARDIS was a bit of a pain, thanks to the completely unnecessary return of Amy Pond, a character I personally think should've departed at the end of The Big Bang or at least The God Complex. Both stories were written as finales to the character(in one, she gets married to Rory and in the other, they get a house). So why keep bringing them back?

Mind you, I didn't have a problem with Child Amy. THAT was a nice, subtle reference to the Eleventh's past, a sort of little whimsical element in the scene. Whimsical, but sad.
                        And then Karen Gillan turned up and I groaned.

And then... three utterly beautiful things happened that gave the scene a 180.
                        1) The dropping of the bow-tie.
                        2) "I will always remember when the Doctor was me."
                        3) The Twelfth Doctor!!

Peter Capaldi was a bit disorienting as the Twelfth Doctor, but he is so wonderfully turkey(I couldn't find another word) that it didn't really matter. There is no doubt in my mind that he is going to be... fantastic.

Soon on Going Through Doctor Who: The Time Meddler.
                        Last edited by rushy; 09 May 2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Matt Smith - The Eleventh Doctor
                          Doc-meter: A lovable goof who loves nothing more than to show off(and be forgiven for the Time War mess, but that's a given). He's great with kids, he's... not so good with adults and he's a lot better with time travel than his other selves. On the other side, he's frequently awkward, the contemporary references are bizarre and he lets all these overly bossy women drive the TARDIS.
                          Favourite Story: Nightmare In Silver.
                          Favourite Companion: Clara Oswin Oswald. Wonderful girl. All of them.
                          Favourite Enemy: The New Paradigm Daleks. Shame they were dropped.
                          Screwdriver: WHOAH, it's green! And it's got claws! And the TARDIS made it!
                          Costume: I liked the second one better, it was a sweet callback to earlier Doctors and it suited the character a lot better than the bland earlier one. I also liked how the Doctor took out the Second Doctor's bow-tie in one episode.
                          Worst Story: The Wedding Of River Song. The Doctor I know would never have let Song go for all that messing with time.
                          Worst Companion: River Song. Not bad, but not the best(he's not pulling the brakes!!).
                          Worst Enemy: Those dolls from Night Terrors.

Overall era: As I've noted several times, it's got its problems. It actually reminded me of Colin Baker's tenure a lot. Showing off, being rude, all sorts of flashy, random old enemies... yeah, I'd say Smith was much more like Colin than he was like Troughton. Troughton's humor was understated and quiet. It is the little things about him that make us laugh(like the time he grabbed a cucumber instead of a knife). Matt Smith's(or should I say Moffat's) humor was blatant, telegraphed early and overly smug.
                          On the other hand... Matt Smith's era finally got off Earth(a feat RTD barely accomplished) and explored other planets. The Rings Of Akhaten is a prime example of a story he never would've done.
                          Doctor Who of the 2010s so far is a glorious success I'd say. We've lost some good bits and some bad bits and we gained some good bits and some bad bits.

Comment

The Time Meddler is a classic example of a William Hartnell story done well. There's actual direction, good humor, easy-to-understand dialogue and a brilliant villain.

The TARDIS lands in England, 1066 and the crew finds another Time Lord, the Meddler manipulating events there in the hopes of 'improving' the timeline.

William Hartnell is having great fun with this, primarily because of the Meddler(Peter Butterworth) is much like his own character. Tricks and treats. Watching the two giggling like schoolkids over the Meddler's masterplan is just priceless. It's also a historical(kind of) so he's not having any science-y dialogue to recite.

Peter Purves is decent as Steven Taylor. His character is relatable and like Sir Ian before him, he plays off the Doctor(I love how he keeps calling him "Doc").

Even Vicki is giving her best. All for the season finale, I suppose. She's not crazy(that ring in the sand story still bugs me) and she's not overblown (REVOLUTION!). She's just a girl traveling in the TARDIS and I'm fine with that.

And then there's the Meddler himself. I love this guy. Considering the fast-paced nature of new Doctor Who, there's no time for something completely pointless, but back in those days... I just feel happy when he tries to ram the cell door open in case the Doctor's hiding behind there. It's completely pointless and completely realistic. As I said before, the Meddler isn't evil. It's hard to define what he is. Sometimes he's just having fun, other times he's preparing to destroy Vikings with neutron bombs(wasn't one of them enough to blow up Skaro?). I loved the "To Do" list he had.

For the most part, the story runs along just fine, but there are a few exceptions. In Episode 2, the Vikings attack the camp and the villagers believe that the TARDIS crew were their spies. What happened to that? Later on, it's completely dropped.
                            Secondly, more than half of Episode 4 is spent on babbling. Literally, there's a whole scene of the Doctor and the Meddler talking about how good the Meddler's chameleon circuit is.

And it goes on with how the Meddler's TARDIS is better than the Doctor's and how the Doctor intends to stop the Meddler("I wonder what we'll do to stop that monk fellow"). All that takes about half the episode to get through.

However, after we have, it picks up again and races to the finish line and makes it first place.
                            The ending was just brilliant with the Meddler bellowing at the Doctor like the latter eventually will at the Time Lords. Throughout the story, the Meddler seems to consider the Doctor as a superior of sorts.

And that's it. There's not really much to say about this story. It goes right up there with Marco Polo, The Dalek Invasion Of Earth and The Romans as a William Hartnell classic.

So that's Season 2 finished. It was a big improvement over Season 1, obviously. The bigger studio has done wonders to the show, the persona of the Doctor is a fact, not a variable and there have been some real good stories. I just love William Hartnell's Doctor. That's the problem with the new show... there aren't enough stories. Even though Hartnell was in the business for about as long as David Tennant and Matt Smith, I've seen and grown to know the First much more than the Tenth or Eleventh.

And what I've seen is that he is very underrated as a Doctor, far too low on the list. He always gets branded as "the grumpy one", even though he is as high-spirited and adventerous as any other and the grumpiness is usually reserved for humor or caution. He's immensely clever, brave and defiant.

Coming soon: Galaxy 4. Let's kick off Season 3 with recons!

Comment

To fill in the time before my Galaxy 4 review comes out(I'm trying to find the existing Episode 3 online, but all I get are recons), here's a list of Doctor Who stories that claim to be canon, but unfortunately, in my book, are not. And the reasons why.

1) Love And Monsters. Leaving aside the fact that it's a crap story with a crap villain, the whole "face in the paving" thing made absolutely no sense, not to mention the fact that SOMEHOW, the woman managed to retain her glasses when her DNA was transferred.

2) A Christmas Carol. Despite being my favourite Doctor Who Christmas story thus far, the Doctor breaks the show's primary of law of not going back and rewriting your own history. With all the changes he did to Kazran's timeline, surely the man would've treated him differently when the Doctor first arrived to meet him. And if you're saying that the Doctor is a time-traveler and temporal changes don't directly affect him, then why does the Ninth Doctor point out that he can't travel back in time and warn the people on Satellite Five that the Daleks are planning to attack them?

3) Space and Time. Enclosed paradoxes = magic get-away card.

4) The Wedding Of River Song. This one IS a canon one(because it's directly connected to Series 6's events), but I just want to point out yet again that the whole "River didn't shoot the Doctor in an alternate timeline" thing made no sense, because then the whole of Series 6 wouldn't have happened. It's another case of an enclosed paradox.

5) Fear Her. Another almost one. The lighting of the torch was probably covered up by UNIT, but it's phenomenally uncharacteristic of the Doctor(on his good days) to directly affect history like that with a smug smile on his face.

6) The Crimson Horror. How on earth did that old woman build a space rocket with or without anyone noticing something?

7) In numerous episodes, the Doctor discovers something by going to the future and then prevents said future from happening with that future knowledge. So how was that future able to happen in the first place? Surely the timeline should've accepted time travel as a fact by now.
                              Last edited by rushy; 06 June 2014, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Galaxy 4 is underrated, but for a very good reason. The recons suck. They're bad quality(both pictures and audio), there aren't enough scrolls down telling what's happening and it's just a bore.
                                However, the existing Episode 3 was actually quite decent and it had the best Vicki moment yet.

The TARDIS lands on a planet in the fourth galaxy(so the universe is line-shaped?) where two ships have crash-landed and their occupants wage conflict.

The recons make it look very by-the-numbers. The "Chumblies" are pretty much the latest Mechanoids(only with more repetitive noises) and the whole idea of two advanced races fighting each other has already been done in almost every scientific story so far(stretching back to The Daleks)

On the other hand, the existing episode makes it look new and fresh, with the Doctor being on the side of the mechanical nuisances for once and also the planet-collapsing threat looming over them. Not to mention Maaga's almost Shakespearean performance that completely disappeared in the recons. It's very hard to follow this story in the recons, but I became quite engrossed with it in Episode 3.
                                I didn't like the scene where the Drahvins threatened to kill Steven though. All he had to do was open the door and run away from the sloooow lone Chumbley.

Besides, there's several Hartnell fluffs here too like responding to Vicki's "release the bars" with "No, it's keeping the atmosphere in!"
                                But the script isn't faultless either. For starters, I find the idea that any race would describe their atmosphere as "gas" peculiar. Secondly, why does the Doctor think that the Chumblies can detect them via their heat when it's just been established that they rely much on sound?

I mentioned earlier about Vicki's awesome moment. At one point, she grabs a threatening Drahvin's gun and looks totally badass with it. It's the little things that count. That scene alone was enough to raise her standing above Steven's. Shame I couldn't find a photo of it for you on Google.

Just two minor niggles: The Drahvin spaceship door(they inexplicably have one that makes sound and one that doesn't) sounds exactly like the SIDRAT door from The War Games. And the Rills' command center has a Dalek heartbeat. Perhaps there's more behind this story than we thought...

The real Chumblies move much more wonkily than the CGI ones from the recons.

The Rills' command center has a lot of rubble in it for some reason. Makes the whole thing look cheap.

Overall, it has potential and if the whole thing existed I'd be far more positive about it, but as it is now, it's the weakest Hartnell story yet. At least The Rescue had comedy elements in it.

And next time on Going Through Doctor Who: Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.
                                LET THE DALEKS HIT THE FLOOR! LET THE DALEKS HIT THE FLOOR!
                                Last edited by rushy; 10 June 2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X