Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Through Doctor Who (Spoilers all Eps aired on BBC/BBCA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Massacre Of St. Bartholomew's Eve represents an important milestone in my Doctor Who marathon. It's the first four-parter I watched over the course of a single day(minus my DVDs). I don't know if it's because of the excitement of not having to hear the name "Mavic Chen" again or because I wanted to get it over with or because the story was great. But I suspect the last one.

In many ways, The Massacre is almost a sequel to The Reign Of Terror. Both take place in historical Paris, both keep the Doctor away from the plot, both feature dark periods in French history, both are incredibly complex, grim stories that are immersed in inevitability. Heck, both have the heroes dress up for the occasion whereas in other historicals, they don't seem to care(The Romans is an exception).

But where The Reign Of Terror fails, The Massacre succeeds. For one, the pacing is alright(there aren't unnecessary extra episodes). Despite the type of story, the focus is undeniably on a character we know and care about: Steven Taylor. With good actors playing better-written roles, we grow to care and understand about the situation much more(especially me, who has no clue about this period). Nicholas, Gaston, the Admiral and Anne all had easily identifiable personalities that allowed us to get a grip on the story.

I'm not gonna lie and say I followed it through. I didn't. I have no idea whom half of the villain characters were(the Queen Mother's lackeys) or their motivations and plans in this. I couldn't follow why they thought the Abbot screwed things up. But I did follow what they wanted at the time of their wanting it and that's all that really mattered, in the end.

The eponymous Massacre itself was both breathtaking, utterly depressing and like the previous story, just something you wanted the characters to get out of as soon as possible and move on to a lighter thing. Despite the scale of the story being far smaller than The Daleks' Master Plan, the death-count was far higher and it mattered more. Or should I say, added another list of names?

As for the characters, I shall start with Steven this time. For starters, this is the first story of Classic Who to have a single companion traveling with the Doctor. In the context of this story, it works very well. There's a sense of loneliness about them now, two wanderers caught up in the tide. Three companions or even two companions would be enough to keep each other company, but ONE Doctor and ONE companion in the Hartnell era... just imagine it.

But to shake things up even more, the Doctor disappears after Episode 1, leaving Steven all alone in the streets to worry about Protestants and Catholics lynching him. Just by his very presence, he's caused a turmoil(and he can't hide in the TARDIS, because the Doctor has the only key and unknown to Steven, there's that melt-if-tried-by-an-alien lock system).

Lost in history(remember, he's from the future), Steven has nothing to follow, but his morals which lead him to save Anne Chaplet, a servant girl who helps him hide out.

Meanwhile, there's an Abbot running around who looks and sounds exactly like the Doctor. I would say this is an incredibly pointless plot twist, but it only adds to the confusion and feeling of paranoia in this story so it works quite well. Steven is also led to believe the Doctor's dead and waaaay before Rose with her mum, boyfriend, goodbye speech, TARDIS/safety, he has to confront spending the rest of his life with nothing, but Anne, the wildly wrong time period and the constant threat of the religious fanatics.

But of course the Doctor returns(and suspiciously says nothing about his activities over the last few days) and after discovering the date, immediately drags Steven back to the TARDIS and in the complete reversal of The Fires Of Pompeii, leaves Anne to her fate, afraid of a change in history.

Oh, wait, I was talking about characters.
    Well, Anne is lovely. I liked her connection with Steven and her loyalty to his cause(despite being just as confused as him) was admirable. Much better than the deus ex machina that is Dodo.

Hartnell didn't do much to differ from his normal performance when playing the Abbot(just a little bit more would've been better), but that's completely made up by his final speech where he ponders his newly found loneliness and even considers returning to Gallifrey(I bet half of you never knew that!)

Great speech. But of course it's ruined by Steven's immediate return to the TARDIS, for no real reason and then the realization that Dodo might be Anne's descendant. It's a cop-out if I ever saw one.

Speaking of the Doctor/Steven stand-off, what made it great is that you can understand and sympathize with both viewpoints. The Doctor's insistence on not altering history isn't wrong, because IF Anne did survive and her descendants endured and shaped future events, that whole thing could have gone sky high had the Doctor saved her.
    On the other hand, saving her from the Protestants wouldn't have been wrong either, because being able to save 1 life from 10 000, when given the chance is something the Doctor will stand for in future incarnations.

As a final note, I will say this... if I could show any Doctor Who story to Steven Moffat(whom, if I haven't said it before, I do appreciate as show-runner) it is this, because it is pretty much the antithesis of every mistake he's done.

Coming soon: A light-spirited audio drama of your choosing. I need a bright comedy after this.
    Last edited by rushy; 09 July 2014, 02:23 PM.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

P.S. I forgot to mention the wonderful assassin Bond-eau.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Nobody knows a funny audio drama? That's disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          Nobody knows a funny audio drama? That's disappointing.
          I'll ask Flyboy... He knows audio drama pretty well.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The Ark is a very silly story. The Doctor and co land on a future human spaceship(I bet RTD loves this story) that's on its' way to Refusis 2, a planet they intend to colonise. They've also brought along another race, the Monoids for a similar purpose, but treat them like slaves.
            700 years later, the TARDIS lands again to find the Monoids have taken over the spaceship and now treat the humans as slaves. Having arrived on Refusis 2, all goes to hell as the Monoids start fighting the humans and their own kind.

My biggest problem with this relatively interesting story is the utter lack of explanation concerning the TARDIS landing in the same place 700 years later. I thought the status quo was that it was flying at complete random. The chances of it landing in the same spot PRECISELY on the day the Ark arrived are pretty slim. And it can't be attributed to the Doctor's driving skills because he was confused just like me.

As I said earlier, the story is interesting and well-written, but nobody besides the Doctor, Steven and the Refusian voice actors seem to take it very seriously. The Monoids look goofy enough(it's the hair) and the humans(particularly the Commander) behave strangely on occasion. The mood is always light and harmless. It's a children's story that gives you a little to think about.

Dodo isn't very bad. She was annoying in the first episode, but mellowed out very quickly. I loved the way she kept driving Steven nuts. Another hilarious thing was that the Doctor promised to teach her English because he was irritated by her thick Cockney accent, yet by episode 4, all I heard was BBC English. Plus, she has a pixie cut, so that automatically makes her cute. A big thumbs-up to her costume at the end too.

William Hartnell is wonderful as the Doctor as always, with the occasional fluff here and there(but a lot less than one would expect with such notoriety).

Steven is great. I loved the way he volunteered to stand for the crew on trial(usually you'd expect the Doctor to do that). He's a very fierce and strong-moraled character. I admire him a lot. Kudos to Peter Purves(I'm gonna try and watch the next recon with his narration if possible).

The story felt a little inappropriate after all the gloomy stories we've had this season(with the semi-exception of The Myth Makers). I think this story should've been more cheerful, but definitely not childish.

Speaking of childish, what was up with the humans' clothes? They looked very silly for something future humans(no matter what "segment") would wear. Also, I was a bit shocked that their clothing or other parts of the ship hadn't changed after 700 years.
            Another thing that confounded me was this line: "Ah, you speak of the distant past. After the recent revolution..."

When exactly did the Monoids take control? If it was after the distant past, but not much(the statue seems to imply that) then why does he say recent? And who built that statue anyway? It had to be done so that no one would know the bomb was in the head so not the head Monoids. And it couldn't have been the humans(who were still known as Guardians even though they kinda screwed up the guarding bit) because then they would've known were to find the bomb. And if the humans responsible had been killed, wouldn't it raise a few questions?

It's a bit convoluted, is all I'm saying. And why hide the fact from the other Monoids anyway?

Oh well. All in all, decent story, a bit strange cliffhanger(turning invisible=attack), acceptable acting for the most part. It's one of the worser Hartnell stories, but only because the others are so great.

Coming next: Either I get a name soon or it's The Celestial Toymaker...

Comment

Still nothing? Well, I'm gonna have to go wild then.
              Dark Eyes sounds kinda cool...

Comment

Confirmed: Dark Eyes is next. I have it ready for listening.

Comment

The Ark is one of those (relatively few) stories that I am pretty sure I've watched a sum total of - once.

Probably mostly because it only came out toward the end of the VHS era... and... well I frankly had no idea it was on DVD (though yes, I know that The Underwater Menace 2 is the only episode not released on DVD).

I was going to try and show it to my son... but... well... it hasn't got Daleks or Cybermen in it... (his current fave is The Invasion, btw)

I think the Ark was one of the best examples of a story that could have been all that, but ultimately just falls apart... Certainly it was totally uncharacteristic of the TARDIS to plop them down 700 years later... And it didn't need to be 700 years - 70 would have sufficed... but it did give us some great potential... a time travel show that involved time travel within the story, not just at the start/end!
                  back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                  "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                  "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                  and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                    The Ark is one of those (relatively few) stories that I am pretty sure I've watched a sum total of - once.

Probably mostly because it only came out toward the end of the VHS era... and... well I frankly had no idea it was on DVD (though yes, I know that The Underwater Menace 2 is the only episode not released on DVD).

I was going to try and show it to my son... but... well... it hasn't got Daleks or Cybermen in it... (his current fave is The Invasion, btw)

I think the Ark was one of the best examples of a story that could have been all that, but ultimately just falls apart... Certainly it was totally uncharacteristic of the TARDIS to plop them down 700 years later... And it didn't need to be 700 years - 70 would have sufficed... but it did give us some great potential... a time travel show that involved time travel within the story, not just at the start/end!
                    Daleks and Cybermen, eh? Have you tried The Romans?
                    Last edited by rushy; 16 July 2014, 04:28 AM.

Comment

"A war with the Daleks that wiped out the Time Lords? That's just the most preposterous thing I've ever heard."

My thoughts on Dark Eyes are rather confused. Let's start with what it is and see where we go from there.
                      Dark Eyes is easily the most complicated Doctor Who story I have ever gone through. It's overcomplicated, overlong and overcrazy. It's like the Time War story we never got(thus far). Seriously, the stuff that happens in here... at times I thought steam was coming outta my ears.

The Doctor is dispatched by the Time Lords to find a woman named Molly O'Sullivan(imagine a snarkier Amy Pond) whom the Daleks intend to use to wipe the Time Lords from history and whom the Time Lords intend to use to wipe the Daleks from history. To achieve that, a renegade(played by the wonderful Toby Jones) has gone back in time to infuse her with particles that would wipe out Time Lord DNA from history. I'm not too keen on how that would protect said renegade himself(he still came from the Time Lords, after all), but never mind.

In her adult form, Molly is nearly ready to be used as a weapon so the Daleks and the treacherous Time Lords chase her through time and space(The Chase, but for real!) from one crazyville to another, never stopping, never faltering.
                      Eventually, it turns out that the renegade Time Lord is the future incarnation of the Time Lord who gave the Doctor his mission in the first place. The present version was not very satisfied with his future version meddling with history and the future version hates the present version for being such a manipulator(Seventh and Eleventh, anyone?).

It also doesn't help that Molly isn't the most cooperative of companions.

In the climax, the Doctor is forced to return to the Dalek base(having already visited it in the past) because his TARDIS was a fake, Time-Lord controlled one(his real TARDIS is hidden in the fake TARDIS) and finally the events come together and implode and all this madness unravels.

Paul McGann brings his A-game as the Doctor(I can never imagine Eighth in velvet again), who has lost all hope and is only living because he hopes to find it. I thought he should've explained the Daleks better to Molly(instead of being peppered with "oh, they've totally changed!") and I never really caught when he got a new outfit, but other than that, I thought he was great.

Molly grew on me over time, but I don't think she had any chemistry with the Doctor. As they themselves said, they were thrown together by the circumstances.

I loved both versions of Straxus. The first one had a calm, deep, comforting voice and served as an anchor(even when he was evil) who kept explaining things. The second one was Toby Jones, of course. It's nice to see the Doctor isn't the only one running into his other selves.

What Dark Eyes succeeded in was being adult. Not adult in the "sex and violence" meaning, but adult as in "dark, complicated, dangerous". It certainly makes you buy the Time War and the necessity of its alleged conclusion, even if you didn't before.

Where it failed was being for anyone but the most devoted Doctor Who fan. I was listening to this story around the same time I watched The Celestial Toymaker and let me tell you, I couldn't wait to get back to Hartnell just to stop concentrating so hard and following all the plot threads.

I mean, half the story really happened just to convince the Doctor of the other half. If that makes any sense. In any case, I admire this story merely for existing, but do I have any intention of going back to the Time War? Not if you paid me.

Also, what's up with the jumbled TARDIS sound and intro theme? I thought the BBC counted Big Finish as canon.

Coming in a minute: The Celestial Toymaker.

Comment

The Celestial Toymaker would be fun if it existed in its entirety. And had interesting sets.
                        Oh well.

The Doctor and co. are captured by the Doctor Who version of Q, who wants to play deadly games with them in his own reality. It's not entirely clear what the endgame is(at times, he wants the Doctor to become his eternal combatant, at other times, he'd "hate for him to lose"), but it's bad. While the Doctor plays "the trilogic game", Steven and Dodo are forced to play other childish challenges with various cartoon characters.

William Hartnell spends most of his time as a disembodied hand.

Dodo has quickly become my second favorite companion. I think I actually might have a crush on her. It's the doe-like attitude which appeals to me. Just click here to see what I mean.

Steven doesn't work with Dodo at all. He's just too intense and serious throughout the story, not accepting that it's meant to be silly. Yes, not for the characters, but for the actors and for the audience. They have no chemistry.

My favorite villain of the lot was the sinister schoolboy Cyril, who could've easily been the Toymaker himself instead of Michael "Go from move *insert number*" Gough who quite frankly, was a little bland(heresy, but truth) as the Toymaker. Like Steven, he took himself far too seriously. Cyril was funny, he kept your attention, he bended the rules and he was a little annoying(intentionally so).

While the games themselves were mostly enjoyable despite the reconstructed nature of the episodes(god, I would've wanted to see Episode 1), the dialogue was badly written and silly. I did say Dodo was right not to take it too seriously, but believing the phantoms were real or at least trying to help them was a bad idea. They might've been real, but sure as heck they were under the Toymaker's control. And seriously, Cyril's trick was just baffling in its stupidity.

Another example is when Steven asked the Toymaker twice in one conversation, what would happen if they lost. And then Dodo pointing out he never asked about the Doctor when in fact he did. Bad dialogue, very bad.

The games were enjoyable yes, but with the exception of the "hunt the key" game, impossible to follow(I knew the rules, but I didn't know what was happening).

Despite its flaws, The Celestial Toymaker was ahead of its time and I certainly would've liked to see the Colin Baker counterpart they were planning to make(no, I'm not listening to audio any time soon).

Next time: The Gunfighters
                        I like musicals and I like Doctor Who... let's see.

Comment

The Crusade video-links prove that William Russell still has it. There's not really much about to say these, except that Moffat was an utter fool for not including him in the anniversary special.

Being naturally friendly and inviting, he easily turns a monologue into a conversation, despite the lack of another person. I should point out that the monologue makes one of the most serious historicals sound like a fun romp. Why didn't they get him to do other episodes like this? Heck, had I known he was so good, I might've skipped the recons entirely!

Next time: The Gunfighters, for real this time.

Comment

Frankly, I've already lost a great deal of optimism towards Series 8.
                            The whole "I don't know who he is anymore" thing reeks of The Christmas Invasion. Series 7 already suffered from a lack of content so I really hope the Moff hasn't run out of ideas. Or if he has, then not rehashing the bad ones. And then there's Vicky, Clara's new boyfriend. Oh, I wish there was a new Who series without the emotional baggage. Just follow Tom "Bye, bye UNIT" Baker and leave the drama. Connect to each others as characters in the TARDIS, isolated from jobs and responsibilities, just going from one planet to the next.
                            And yes, the whole show can't be like that, but surely ONE carefree series wouldn't cause that much harm(yes, Series 1 was mostly carefree, but it did rely on humans a lot)!
                            On the other hand, I loved the "be my pal" line. So sweet.
                            Last edited by rushy; 22 July 2014, 07:57 AM.

Comment

While I was looking for an episode of The Gunfighters, I ended up on a pre-air version of Peter Capaldi's first episode as the Doctor(I swear to God I wasn't looking for it on purpose, it was just there amongst the other series). The following is my review of it. Click it of your own choice or avoid til the episode is released. In the meantime, you can all tell me how bloody lucky I am.

Spoiler:
                              "I'm the Doctor. I'm over 2000 years old and not one of them good. I've made mistakes. It's about time I do something about that."

I thought it was suitably grand as Capaldi's premiere, but suffered somewhat from unnecessarily using Madame Vastra and co(whose origins are still unknown btw). There was a definite Matt Smith feel to it, even in the writing.

Peter Capaldi is hard to define as the Twelfth Doctor. He retains Eleventh's non-sense of comedic timing, but other than that, is mainly characterised by being an enigma. Then again, it IS only his first story. All I can say is that he's slightly grouchy and definitely Scottish(screw London, we got Glasgow!)

Fortunately, my fears of this being a Christmas Invasion rip-off did not come true. The Doctor quickly gets out of bed an on to business, even if he's more delusional than ever. Nor was Clara's "he's someone else" thing badly written. She had a genuine reason for being confused.

The story is this: the TARDIS crashes in Victorian London and brings along a giant dinosaur somehow. Vastra and co find a pissed off Clara and a crazed Doctor tumbling out of the ship and give them a place to stay. Soon however, the Doctor's interest is piqued by the giant dinosaur and he goes wandering off. He and Clara find a newspaper add that leads them together in a restaurant which is controlled by the clockwork robots from Pompadour's sister ship(how convenient) and stop them.
                              And there's a fourth River Song in it at the end.

It's clunky and doesn't make a lot of sense, but the continuity is at least nice, I guess. Still, it's probably the worst New Who introduction ep. The story's just so lightweight. And yes, I said grand. It feels grand, but it's a wee bit hollow inside. Plus, there's no oomph! moment where the actor establishes himself as the character, which is probably the worst crime.

My favorite(and in true Moffat fashion, continuity bending) scene of the episode was Matt Smith's cameo. What a brilliant idea executed brilliantly. More of that, please(the ideas, not phone calls from Smith).
                              So overall, grand-ish, but simplistic. Looking forward to seeing it for real.

They mopped up the dinosaur story real fast, didn't they? How come it was never recorded in history? It's like The Next Doctor all over again.
                              Last edited by rushy; 22 July 2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I should've known the leak wasn't just me... oh well. What's done is done.
                                It might take me a bit longer to review The Gunfighters because the site where I usually watch my episodes doesn't have part of the serial.
                                And my other trusty site is on the fritz. How nice.
                                I hope nobody hates me now.

Comment

Working...
                                X