Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Through Doctor Who (Spoilers all Eps aired on BBC/BBCA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. is a marginal improvement over the first Cushing movie, but only in terms of plot.
    Like its TV counterpart, the movie is bigger in almost every way: effects, storyline, heroics, Daleks, location etc.

Unfortunately, it's still a crap movie.

The first problem comes before I even push play. The title. How would you like it if I called The Lord of the Rings "Sauron - War Middle-earth Third Age"?
    It's just random words about the movie put together. Very lazy.

To give it credit though, the movie starts out okay with some classic Bach(the piece of music everyone thinks came from Dracula) that immediately strikes back to Cushing's acting roots. Plus, it's a very good movie opening featuring a robbery. Certainly gets your attention.
    Tom Campbell(played by the only good actor in this) is trying to catch some thieves, but gets knocked on the head and inexplicably kidnapped by the Doc- I mean Dr. Who, Susan and Louise(stand-in for Barbara).

The- I mean, Tardis materializes in the year 2150 in which the Daleks have taken over the Earth, yet everyone still wears decent clothes. During a horribly fast-paced journey, they end up separating, joining a rebellion, attacking/infiltrating a Dalek saucer, then making their way across England, infiltrating a mine, planning the downfall of the Daleks, causing said downfall and then going home. And all that in 80 minutes.

As I said, the costuming is pathetic. Also, devastated London doesn't look nearly as devastated or depressing as in the original.
    But all of that could have been saved if anyone(except for one guy) cared about acting. I hate to say this about Peter Cushing, but even he was acting like he was acting. When William Hartnell is doddery, it's natural and sweet. When Cushing is doddery, it's like he's making fun of the other.
    The guy playing Dortmun made loud, cringeworthy declarations that just made me want to exterminate him. The guy playing Tyler didn't really exhibit any emotion(but he wasn't emotionless like the TV Tyler). Louise was forgettable.

But Bernard Cribbins was good. I mean, it's not the greatest performance ever, but it's a performance. He was basically a down-to-earth, lower-class version of Sir Ian and that was all that he had to be.

The music sucked. It was a racket, really. The best example of this was Dortmun's death scene during which they played jazz. JAZZ. Let that sink in. The Robomen theme(basically a discount Imperial March) was overused. It literally played every single moment they were on-screen.
    Also, it might not have been intentional, but the guards from The War Games looked like movie Robomen rip-offs. Sad, since it's a ridiculous look. And I could say the same things about the Pig-guards from Daleks In Manhattan. They should've just sticked to the TV Robomen.

The two good things from the original Cushing movie - atmosphere and Tardis lighting up - are both gone. This movie has no atmosphere whatsoever. Tons of budget, yeah but no atmosphere. It just looks like the characters are going through a park during their "epic" journey to Bedfordshire. There's no variety(the sewer part is skipped).

The continuity issue from the original(in which the Doctor stated that the Daleks here are from the past, despite the fact that no clues were given in The Daleks of them ever having space travel) is repeated here.

I don't know if it's intentional, but the Daleks in one scene declare that their plan is to move Earth next to Skaro and then to occupy "it". They might mean Earth, but why occupy something that's... well, already occupied? Or do they mean Skaro? Are they the Renegade Daleks?

For some reason, the-Dr. Who and Tom are easily saved from Robo-conversion, but Craddock's binds are stuck.

I liked the idea of the magnetic force being the Daleks' downfall, but it wasn't nearly as epic as the volcanic eruption. The end of the invasion was really muted.

And finally, that ending with Tom capturing the thieves made no sense. Aren't there two Toms now running around? The one who didn't have to capture the thieves and the alternate one who did? Besides, shouldn't Dr. Who know better than to interfere in history?

Overall, the movie's only advantages over the first Cushing movie is the plot, the money and Bernard Cribbins. The other one, though just as silly, had atmosphere, an alien planet and a Tardis that lit up when you opened the door. I'm glad to have finished this part in Doctor Who's history.

Next time: Mission To The Unknown
    A recon with no familiar characters. Hip-hip...
    Last edited by rushy; 10 June 2014, 01:19 PM.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
      Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.

Unfortunately, it's still a crap movie.

I warned ya!
      I like Sharky
      sigpic

Comment

Peter Cushing - Dr. Who
        Doc-meter: A doddery, absent-minded old professor, who doesn't seem to be shocked by anything. This is also his weakness as he frequently fails to recognise danger and really shouldn't be allowed to time travel. But you try stopping him...
        Favourite Story: Dr. Who And The Daleks
        Favourite Companion: Tom Campbell.
        Favourite Enemy: The Daleks.
        Screwdriver: N/A.
        Costume: A gorgeous golden-brown velvet suit with a bright blue neck-tie and golden vest.
        Worst Story: Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.
        Worst Companion: Barbara Who.
        Worst Enemy: N/A.

Overall era: A tacky, simplified and boring shadow of the early William Hartnell era.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

John Hurt - The War Doctor
          Doc-meter: A sad old man who is determined to do the right thing... if only he knew what it was.
          Favourite Story: The Night Of The Doctor.
          Favourite Companion: N/A.
          Favourite Enemy: The Daleks.
          Screwdriver: A silver rod with a white light on top(that goes red when the sonic is turned on), a call-back to the classic ones with a hint of the new ones.
          Costume: A raggedy mix of the Eighth and Ninth Doctor costumes.
          Worst Story: The Day Of The Doctor. It's a great story, but he only has two.
          Worst Companion: N/A.
          Worst Enemy: The Zygons.

Overall era: Unknown... but he never quite got what it means to be a soldier.
          Last edited by rushy; 16 June 2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
            I warned ya!
            Well, I had little choice, did I? If you're gonna do a DW marathon, you have to be ready for the potholes.

Comment

Before I get to Mission To The Unknown, I have an announcement!
              I may have figured out the Dalek timeline!!!
              Well, at least their early years, but that's the biggest cracker.

In Genesis of the Daleks, two types of Daleks are created: the ones with a conscience and the ones whose conscience is removed(because we see a Dalek before Davros orders the new ones to have no emotions). Those Daleks were either deliberately sent to the Kaled city or just escaped there when the new Daleks took over the bunker(and presumably exterminated their more pathetic selves). The new Daleks eventually developed space flight(and were the ones from all subsequent stories not set on Skaro) whereas the old Daleks were the ones from The Daleks who died out thanks to the Doctor.

The only thing I can't really answer is why the Daleks from Genesis already had solar panels(whereas the ones from The Dalek Invasion Of Earth had those dishes). Maybe it has something to do with the Fourth Doctor mentioning the magnetic core of Earth being the cause of the Daleks' failure instead of the volcanic eruption? Someone make a story explaining this.

Anyway, Mission To The Unknown was a nice, bit claustrophobic story. It actually reminded me much more of Season 1 with its Marinus-esque jungle sets. I liked the futile attempts of the heroes to contact Earth about the impending Dalek invasion. It was all very nice.

There was one bit of dialogue that didn't make sense to me. The secret agency guy says at one point "stop talking and get back to work". The other guy replies with "look, just cut the chat, will you?"

The story focuses on a group of astronauts who've discovered that the Daleks(from 1000 years after The Dalek Invasion Of Earth) are planning to invade the solar system once more and try to get a message out before the killer plants get them. And they fail.

Overall, a well done prelude that gives off a sense of impending doom approaching. Especially since the next story is a comedy(it's made bittersweet when you know the Daleks are coming to get them the whole time).

Next time: The Myth Makers.
              Odysseus and the Doctor. I have no idea...

Comment

Going Through Doctor Who has officially got its own blog now. I'm going to continue posting my reviews here too, but I'd like to point out that this gives me the chance to go back and rewrite some of the stuff I've already done to a far better-explained, more adult form than when I originally did them.
                Also, some exclusive reviews can only be seen there.
                Last edited by rushy; 24 June 2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

The Myth Makers would be an entertaining historical worthy of a rewatch, if only because Vicki departs in that story. But it's a recon. And they're starting to annoy me. A lot. Seasons 3-6 are likely to be the hardest part of anybody's Doctor Who marathon and certainly mine, but I am determined to get through it.

Anyways, the story has the Doctor and co. visit Trojan times. Whilst the Doctor has to work out a way for Odysseus to get into Troy, Vicki is forced to work out a way to stop him. And Steven's in it too.

I thought Odysseus was a bit oddly written. In Episode 1, he comes across as the villain, trying to convince everybody to kill the TARDIS crew, but in the later episodes, he's more of an ally/nuisance.

I thought the Doctor was brilliant in this story, inventing the horse(not to mention flying machines). He had a great moment at the end as well where he declared "I'm not a god." Great stuff.

Steven was somewhat underused in this story. He even points out how useless he is to the Greeks(even though he could help the Doctor come up with a plan) so he goes and gets himself captured by the Trojans.

It's a known fact that you often don't appreciate what you have til you lose it. That's the way I feel about Vicki. She was a great, spunky companion and dammit, I'm gonna miss her. She was just often written badly, as a know-it-all or weirdly young, so it made it hard to get into her character, but here, she's great. The Doctor let her go a bit too easily though. I would've thought she has to escape the TARDIS or something.

I kinda like Katarina, who believes the TARDIS is limbo. It's a really funny twist on the Doctor/companion relationship. It's obvious that she's not going to be granddaughter nr. 3.

The Myth Makers has a well-crafted story that often pokes fun at itself and the Fall Of Troy, the heroes are surprisingly involved(it's obvious the Doctor's fear of changing history is melting) and it all comes together at the end. There's a depressing undertone about it, because you know all the Trojans are screwed.

To Be Continued... in The Daleks' Master Plan!

Comment

P.S. The recon should've done something to differentiate the characters. For a while, I thought Paris and Troilus were the same person.

Comment

Well silly little Maureen O'Brien shouldn't have tried to start a revolt, and she'd likely have got another year's work on the show...
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                        Well silly little Maureen O'Brien shouldn't have tried to start a revolt, and she'd likely have got another year's work on the show...
                        The guy who wrote this episode was under the mis-impression that O'Brien wanted to leave, not writing her out because he hated her or something. As far as I know, at least. I'm glad it happened though, because I thought Katarina's death(and her character) was very well done.

Comment

My understanding is, contracts were due for renewal at the end of season two, and Maureen made waves over pay-rates, and management thus gave her a new contract - for 4 weeks only.
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          and lots more!

Comment

Inside this 12-part behemoth is a 6-part epic. The Daleks' Master Plan is a complicated story to review, because it goes in vastly different directions. For the first few episodes, we have the Doctor and co. travel around in space, visit different planets etc. on their desperate mission to warn Earth of the impending attack. Then there's the visit to Crazyville(i.e. Christmas) and then Dennis Spooner takes over and brings back the Meddler for another round until finally he produces one of the best final episodes... ever.

There's no consistency. So to give it proper credit, I'll review the story in four chunks.
                            Episodes 1-6 are pretty good. The space travel is a big change to the usual, the deaths of Katarina and Bret Vyon are properly tragic and I loved the part where Steven, the Doctor and Sara were beamed through space(waaay before Scotty, there was Steven jumping on a trampoline). It was a touch repetitive though(land on one jungle planet, escape from the Daleks, rinse and repeat).

Episode 7 was a madhouse, all full of Arabs(hey, that's what he said!). First the TARDIS crew end up in contemporary London(that the TARDIS considers to have poisonous atmosphere. Strange how she never brought it up in all the other times they visited contemporary London) and mess around with the local police station(there's a guy there who keeps talking about his moving greenhouse and it goes NOWHERE). Then, they go to a 1920s film set where all hell breaks loose. Just watch it to see what I mean. I did love the intertitles though.

Episodes 9-10 have the Daleks and the Meddler hunt down the Doctor in their respective time machines(strange how he suspects the Meddler first, even though the Daleks are the far more likely hunters). It all comes together in an awesome confrontation in Ancient Egypt.

For episodes 11-12, the heroes and villains(minus the Meddler) all return to Kembel where it all started. The Doctor, hoping to destroy the Dalek invasion force, foolishly activates the Time Destructor that over the course of the finale, turns the entirety of the planet into dust. Even in reconstruction, it looked incredible. As the story ends, the Doctor and Steven are left standing alone on a dead world, with nothing left, but the TARDIS.

William Hartnell was stunning as the Doctor, especially towards the end. His second encounter with the Meddler was just as much fun as the first(it was mean of him to send the Daleks to attack the poor guy though) and his desperation and terror in the final episode was completely believable.

Peter Purves was also great as Steven. He's still a little too intense for my liking. I know it's not a comedy turn, but he should try to chill out a bit and take things calmly. "Look, there's got to be something we can do!!" seems to be becoming a catchphrase.

No matter what TPTB thought, Katarina was an interesting companion and the story arc of her trying to reach the land of the dead was a good idea. Shame she was killed off so quickly.

Sara Kingdom, in my opinion, was a half-companion. She was only there to stop the Daleks and save the Earth even if she traveled more than Katarina did. The only issue I had with her was when Terry Nation had her say "oh, I forgot about the Daleks". But that's a criticism of the writing, not the character. Her death scene was unforgettable. Unforgettable, I tell you.

Nicholas Courtney has his first outing in Doctor Who as Bret Vyon, Sara's brother(wait, so she was married?) and has just as much of an authority here as later, when he plays the Brigadier. A fantastic actor in his prime is just a joy to watch. Can't wait for his return.

Peter Butterworth returns as the Meddler, this time for petty vengeance against the Doctor. I thought the idea of him showing up at the worst time possible was hilarious and I nearly died of laughter when he showed up in Egypt in his monk costume, with sunglasses on. He's such an incompetent villain that you can't help, but love the guy.

Kevin Stoney is also great as Mavic Chen, the traitor. I don't know if Terry Nation intended for the character to go insane, but Stoney played his slow mental breakdown perfectly. He starts out as a reasonable Saruman-ish collaborator of the Daleks and dies at their hands declaring that he's the Daleks' leader, immortal and supreme master of the universe. As the Daleks point guns at him, he's asking for reports and giving out orders. It's brilliant stuff.
                            What happened to his creepy lackey, though?

The Daleks' Master Plan episode 12 is in my eyes, on equal terms with The Tenth Planet episode 4.

Overall, an overlong and padded classic, but still a classic.

Next: The Massacre Of St. Bartholomew's Eve
                            I've had my fill of the Daleks for a long time...

Comment

I bow down to you, oh rushy, for you have tread where I fear to.

I enjoy watching the existing episodes from this story... and was overjoyed when ep2 turned up in 2004... Back in 199x when DWM featured photos from the story, I (photocopied and) cut them and put them on my wall like posters... Sara's death looked SO intensely amazing...

But... to sit through 9 episodes of recons... I just couldn't/haven't mustered the strength.

Maybe we'll see at least 8 more episodes returned one day... And as for The Feast of Steven... there's a decent animation on YouTube that someone put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WeakujB2nA
                              and lots more!

Comment

I usually go one or two episodes per day. Sometimes, when the dialogue is difficult to make out, I read the transcript afterwards.
                                And if someone found this story, that'd be great. I just love Camfield's direction in Episode 10.
                                But please no Feast of Steven. If anything deserves to be buried in the past, it's that.

Comment

Working...
                                X