This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    It's worth noting that at one point James Nesbitt, David Walliams and Paterson Joseph were the clear favourites to become the Eleventh Doctor, with a young unknown by the name of Matt Smith much further down the table (behind Jason Statham!) with 66/1 odds from at least one betting firm.

Just goes to show...
    If David Hewlett were chosen as the 12th Doctor, you can imagine four fictional characters (you know who) all simultaneously thinking, "Oh, hell to the no. Hell to the **** no." Subsequently, the four of them would try their best to transport themselves into a parallel universe.

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind David Hewlett appearing as a guest on Doctor Who... just not as the Doctor—ever.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      Who wants a laugh?

Mark Gatiss tweeted it this morning. He thought it was very amusing.

Spoiler:

The world has gone completely mad.
      That is the funniest/scariest thing I have ever seen!!

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
      Heres the full story on this...
      http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-stupide...ever-50265.htm

I'm just lost for words...
      Thanks for the article...I am stunned by the insanity of it! And to think she actually has supporters!!! Lunacy!
      sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
      Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
      GateCon Vancouver 2011
      Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Why does everyone think it should be someone relatively unknown, personally I'd cast Patrick Stewart, Alexander Siddig or Benedict Cumberbatch

Comment

Originally posted by Alterus View Post
          Why does everyone think it should be someone relatively unknown, personally I'd cast Patrick Stewart, Alexander Siddig or Benedict Cumberbatch
          All three won't happen. Two are too famous for their Trek work, and Siddig also has his recent Primeval stint to make his name known to genre fans. Cumberbatch is too established as Sherlock. All three would suffer from comparisons with their famous roles. Stewart would never be able to say "Engage" without an uproar.

The actor and the fans deserve someone who can be the Doctor, not a Holmes-Doctor hybrid.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Who wants a laugh?

Mark Gatiss tweeted it this morning. He thought it was very amusing.

Spoiler:

The world has gone completely mad.
            Though I sincerely hope she is not even considered, there's newer news about the poor girl:
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22790808

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
              I like David Hewlett, but wouldn't want to see him as the Doctor.

But I would like to see him be a character on Doctor Who!
              For those hanging their hats (or noose) on David Hewlett taking the role, he earlier tweeted:
              Wife's at speed-awareness...I'm at home with bratlett playing cross-dressing-up. Such a pretty Doctor Who!
              with the following image:

Comment

Neil Gaiman has had some thoughts on the subject on his Tumblr - http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/

torchyvalentine asked: What would you say to Sir Ian Mckellen taking the reigns as the 12th Doctor? For that matter, who do you think would be a good actor for the character?

I think that if you’d asked me who should be the 11th Doctor 5 years ago I wouldn’t have listed Matt Smith, because I didn’t know who he was or what he was capable of, and if you’d asked me who should play Sherlock Holmes in a modern day revival around the same time I wouldn’t have said Benedict Cumberbatch, because I didn’t know who he was either.

I actually like it when The Doctor is a relatively unknown actor, or one without one huge role that made them famous. A star, like Sir Ian, brings all the other roles they’ve ever played to the table when they act. Seeing John Hurt as the (Spoiler) at the end of the Name of the Doctor, meant that this was a certain type of part with a certain amount of gravitas, and you understood that John Hurt was bringing everything with it (including being John Hurt), just as Derek Jacobi did as the Master.

But I like to see The Doctor as The Doctor, and an actor who doesn’t bring baggage is a grand sort of thing. A star waiting to happen. So I don’t want to see Helen Mirren or Sir Ian McKellen or Chiwetel Ejiofor, or any of the famous names people are suggesting.

I want to see The Doctor. I want to be taken by surprise. I want to squint at a photo of the person online and go “but how can that be The Doctor?”. Then I want to be amazingly, delightedly, completely proven wrong, and, six episodes in, I want to wonder how I could have been so blind. Because this is the Doctor. Of course it is.

Comment

I hope I like who ever plays him
                  sigpic
                  My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                  poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Yeah, what Neil Gaiman said...

[which isn't something I expected to be saying today when I got up!]

Comment

Richard Madden anyone? he could play a more serious darker side of the doctor i think

In Robb Stark we trust, King of the North, EHRM Timelords
                      Last edited by mr_kennedy; 06 June 2013, 01:38 AM.
                      Last Movie Watched
                      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                      Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                        For those hanging their hats (or noose) on David Hewlett taking the role, he earlier tweeted:

with the following image:
                        https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BL-3GyuCQAARDrU.jpg
                        haha!!
                        I am Queen McBeck of McTennantLand,
                        traveling in the TARDIS with King Rodney & my fine Sir Carson of Atlantis... ALONSY!

sigpic

Comment

Shaun Evans might be good. He has quite a few roles behind him, but relatively recently landed the role as young Morse. Although if it's a success, it might keep him busy for quite a while.

I would like to see a slightly older, somewhat unknown actor who nevertheless is skilled. Not an easy problem to solve...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                            Shaun Evans might be good. He has quite a few roles behind him, but relatively recently landed the role as young Morse. Although if it's a success, it might keep him busy for quite a while.

I would like to see a slightly older, somewhat unknown actor who nevertheless is skilled. Not an easy problem to solve...
                            He would've been good but, as you say, he's playing young Morse in Endeavour and that's just be recommissioned for a second series so that's him out. Russell Tovey in a recent tweet has put himself out. Miranda Hart in an interview put herself out and thank god too.

I'm sorry to say that I need the new actor to be a white British male. I'm not sexist or racist and think there are plenty of excellent actors of different sex and ethnicity out there...but after all these years and 11 white males playing the Doctor I cannot see beyond it. If they do cast a woman or an ethnic actor I won't be able to see it as anything else other than stunt casting and I fear that there might be a sudden massive drop in ratings because they might alienate a great number of fans. I've already seen on a couple of polls that some people favour a white male in the role again and some of which say they would stop watching if a woman or non-white male is cast as the Doctor's latest life.

I'm scared.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I'm not. I trust Steven Moffat. Whoever he picks is sure to be absolutely superb. Look at his track record for leading roles - Matt Smith, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, James Nesbitt, Jack Davenport etc. The man has an eye for a great lead. I trust the Moff completely to find us the perfect Doctor.
                              Last edited by Blencathra; 06 June 2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I'm not. I trust Steven Moffat. Whoever he picks is sure to be absolutely superb. Look at his track record for leading roles - Matt Smith, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, James Nesbitt, Jack Davenport etc. The man has an eye for a great lead. I trust the Moff completely to find us the perfect Doctor.
                                I'll have to borrow some of your strength then, Blen. I have faith and trust in Steven...I'm just not sure how much faith and trust I have in whoever else is involved in the casting.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Working...
                                X