Originally posted by LtKatia View Post
      Agree on male and british. I'd like one of these to play the 12th Doctor:

Joseph Fiennes
      Daniel Radcliffe
      Tom Felton
      Ewan McGregor
      Joseph Morgan
      Billy Boyd
      While these are all (mostly) great actors, that would NEVER happen. Think of who these guys are?

Shakespeare/Flashforward
      Harry
      Draco
      Everything....
      Vampire
      Hobbit

These labels make these guys less than desirable candidates for the Doctor, whom I, and I think many people, should be known AS the Doctor, not another role! Just a thought though.....
      sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
      Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
      GateCon Vancouver 2011
      Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Plus it would be quite a cut in pay, wouldn't it? Lower pay in general, plus the schedule is such that they can't do anything else for the duration.
        sigpic

Comment

After watching "Sherlock", I would love to see Benedict Cumberbatch as the last incarnation of the Doctor. What I'd really like to see though is a complete reboot of the series with John Hurt portraying the first incarnation of the Doctor. With a depiction of events leading up to his stealing the T.A.R.D.I.S. in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
            Plus it would be quite a cut in pay, wouldn't it? Lower pay in general, plus the schedule is such that they can't do anything else for the duration.
            I think that's one problem certainly. And who would be willing to take such a risk? A fan of the franchise probably, or a complete newcomer. So I suspect that the next doctor may be a bit older than Matt Smith was when he was cast, but we won't be seeing guys in their 40s or older again.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McBecklover View Post
              Finally someone that agrees with me! Thought I was the only one... thought maybe I was going insane... But thought the "McKay" persona would be a brand new, different & funny side to the Doctor. Sure he can still flirt a tiny bit, but the snarky sarcasmness especially towards his enemies would be something quite new & exciting I think I think David would be great! And he started out much the same as our other David (Tennant) with being a big Doctor Who fan & being inspired into acting because of Doctor Who. I'd say give him his child hood dream as Tennant got to!
              i'd love to see david get it!
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                I think that's one problem certainly. And who would be willing to take such a risk? A fan of the franchise probably, or a complete newcomer. So I suspect that the next doctor may be a bit older than Matt Smith was when he was cast, but we won't be seeing guys in their 40s or older again.
                Exactly. Getting this role is like winning the lottery for someone just starting out in acting, but it's a career killer for those who already have plenty of work.
                sigpic

Comment

Not sure I agree with the idea that it is a killer for an established actor.

When the Series was young it was routine to hire famous actors, Jon Pertwee and suchlike. David Tennant may not have been widely known abroad but he was well known in the UK. His only problem was that initially he went over to the States and the Series he made was cancelled. Right now he is flavour of the moment again, and has been for a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                    She said on her Twitter that she'd be happy to be involved in any capacity whatsoever so, maybe that'll happen - some kind of a guest role.

(I'm not lobbying for her as Doctor Who personally - I don't think it should be someone who's already famous for a different sci-fi role. I think they ought to be fairly new/low-profile. Have as little baggage as possible to overcome.)
                    Though she would be great in this mooted B7 remake as say Servelan taking over the galaxy in fabulous frocks and impracticable heels :-)

David woudl be Villa asuming you cant get Sir Tony Robinson.
                    ----------------------------
                    You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      In my book this has long been the one sign that Doctor who is behind the scene a poorly run show with either producers or the show runner simply unable to create and efficient way to produce Doctor who I think that is partly a combination of there addiction of using well known names in roles. The fact they use locations all over the UK. The BBC lacking in house talent for producing shows in house with large amount of cgi.

I wouldn't be surprise if one of the reasons they have gone few several producers over the last few years is the BBC trying to find someone able to produce doctor who more efficently.
                      Yes you would've thought that the BBC would be able to run at a similar pace to SG which was what 7/8 days per episode and they have been in place in Cardiff now for a long enough time to build up a suitable infrastructure to do a full 22 episode season and in theory could could have doubled up with torch wood and SJA

Ok Dr who has less standing sets but producing less than half the number of episodes per year is not very efficient
                      ----------------------------
                      You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by Tristen1 View Post
                        In the sense that they won't be able to take on any other jobs for the duration, even if the seasons wind up being shortened. Whatever momentum their career had will grind to a halt.

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                        Though she would be great in this mooted B7 remake.
                        I haven't watched that yet but even so, I'm sure you're right!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tristen1 View Post

When the Series was young it was routine to hire famous actors, Jon Pertwee and suchlike. David Tennant may not have been widely known abroad but he was well known in the UK. His only problem was that initially he went over to the States and the Series he made was cancelled. Right now he is flavour of the moment again, and has been for a long while.
                          All of the actors to play Classic Doctors were reasonably established actors, but non were really all that well known. Yes, Pertwee was probably the best known, but he was I believe mostly known for radio work, not tv/film.

I am also pretty sure that every Classic Doctor actor commented that WHO harmed their acting careers... finding it very hard to get jobs afterwards. Possibly the least affected was Troughton, largely due to his amazing acting talent... Notable also is that Davison has gone on to star in several shows "later in life".

If Tennant had walked into a US tv show (that didn't get the axe straight away), then it would have certainly helped to quash the "curse"... It will be interesting to see how Smith fares.

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                          Yes you would've thought that the BBC would be able to run at a similar pace to SG which was what 7/8 days per episode and they have been in place in Cardiff now for a long enough time to build up a suitable infrastructure to do a full 22 episode season and in theory could could have doubled up with torch wood and SJA

Ok Dr who has less standing sets but producing less than half the number of episodes per year is not very efficient
                          Personally, I also feel that the BBC should be able to produce more WHO than what they do each year. But the people "in the know" (ie UK tv industry people, or those who've studied that industry) will tell you, UK tv series have always operated on shorter season durations than the US market, such as sitcoms that are typically only 6 episodes per year. There are a plethora of reasons... but basically it's not going to change any time soon.
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

Hmmmm....only woman I can see doing it is Keeley Hawes. As awesome as Amanda Tapping is...I'm not even sure she's still acting.

Patrick Stewart, was actually considered for a bad guy role once which didn't happen. Not sure he'd take it.

Robert Carlyle...maybe but getting him out of his "Once upon a Time" contract may be more trouble than it's worth. He's doing US TV at the mo because it's a stable gig and he has a family to raise last I checked.

Simon Pegg and Anthony Head...have both been mentioned...and both have played bad guys in previous seasons!

So, Brit and at least slightly older...James Nesbitt?
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                              http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/helen-mirre...ctor-50243.htm
                              Helen Mirren on being the 12th Doctor
                              I've seen in many things. I'm currently watching Prime Suspect. She'd make a Dalek surrender.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Doctor Who: New Doctor to be announced in the autumn
                                Despite hopes that Matt Smith's replacement could be taking the keys to the TARDIS by July, BBC now says it'll be August or September
                                Full article here: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...-in-the-autumn

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Working...
                                X