Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBC AMERICA HOW COULD YOU (The Name of the Doctor is OUT on DVD NOW)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole thing sounds very hinky to me at this point.
    sigpic

Comment

DW is hardly the first show where DVDs or episodes have been released early ,so I doubt this is any kind of industry scam/hype just to heighten interest in the Finale.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I meant the person who claimed they got a DVD set early. All they'd have to do is be convincing enough for the BBC to respond with, "we understand DVDs were released early, please don't spoil people."
        sigpic

Comment

hey, the dvds for downton abbey shopped 3 weeks before the finale. not unprecedented.

these places ship out thousands of dvds a week, bound to be slip ups
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Which is what makes it so believable. (Don't mind me, I've been on the internet a very long time and I'm pretty cynical at this point.)
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for fliing me in SGalisa.

I'm sure it was an honest mistake. Probably did alot of pre-orders and messed up on when to ship them. Who knows what really happened.

I remember when I-tunes messed up on SGA S4's episode Doppleganger. The ep was filmed first, but was suppose to air 4th. I-tunes accidently aired it as the first ep. So that week we got 2 eps and a sneak peek of the ep. Those that got it early where excited. Those that waited to see it... had to wait 3 more weeks. At least for the finale for DW it's this coming Saturday. Not too long away.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                Just what BAggie says. Don't spoil it for those of us waiting. That finale is a forbidden topic here until next saturday (?) when it airs.

No spoilers, no screen caps, if you watched it, please keep it to yourself or talk elsewhere.

thanks
                This bears a repeat quote because it was made in Sky's capacity as Forum Manager.

NO spoilers or even jokey ones,until after the Finale airs on Beeb 1 and the official ep thread opens folks...and after then in line with normal GW Forum Spoiler policy ,please be careful to not post direct ep spoilers in thread titles ,VM or Group messages.

*Ep titles : because they show on New Posts search and in other areas that spoilerphobes will not thank you for.

*VM/Groups : because as far as we can see the Activity Stream carries spoilers through to mutual friends ,and we can't find any way to switch the stream off at source ie via the Admin permissions.vbb still haven't come up with a permanent way to shut it off.
                Our default code installed by Darren sets the Profiles to show our recieved VMs ,so avoid your Activity Stream if you fear there may be spoilers ahoy!

If any of you don't know how to go about typing out spoiler and /spoiler tags in thread/other posts ,take a look here :

Originally posted by Forum FAQ
                How do I use the [spoiler] tag?
                The [spoiler] tag hides marked off portions of text, forcing readers to highlight it with the mouse in order to read the spoilery details you've posted. Use of the spoiler tag (or other spoiler warnings) is required for all current and future seasons, and for upcoming and newly-released DVD movies (See complete rules).

Here's how to best use the [spoiler] tag:

I was watching the Season 15 premiere the other day, and
                Spoiler:
                I can't believe Jack dies in this episode!

Make sure that you let your reader know exactly which episode your spoiler is from -- otherwise, they won't know whether or not to risk reading it.

If quoting a spoiler from another member's post, leave the [spoiler] tag in place (or insert it if they forgot, so that their error isn't repeated and repeated in future replies).

Note that the [spoiler] tag is for the body of your post only; it will not work in a headline, where spoilers don't belong anyway.

There are three different versions of the tag available: [spoiler] , [spoilers] , and [spoil] ! Feel free to use whichever is easier for you to remember ... but the opening
                Spoiler:
                and closing
                tags must match!
                What isn't in the FAQ is that it really helps keep spoilers (and inter-thread conflict!) down if you preview your posts before hitting send to ensure the tag worked properly.

Hope this clarifies the situation AND keeps any modding minimal on GW.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

And, since some are already letting their excitement run away with them......those that blatantly disobey the 'no spoilers' directive will get their posts modded until after the weekend. It's very simple, this is a no spoiler zone for that episode, we asked nicely, and those that respect that will be just fine. Those that let their excitement rule their actions will take a little break.

If someone posts a 'I saw it, here's what happens.....' spoiler, report it and let us deal with it.

(And the only reason I'm taking a hard line is that we've already had some folks dropping spoilers all over the place, it will stop. There's only 5 more days. Those that saw it, enjoy your secret. Those that tracked it down on the internet, go talk about it elsewhere.)
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifan View Post
                    Thanks for fliing me in SGalisa.
                    no problem. It was a nice diversion to fill in the time..
                    Scary tho, watching real life events almost parallel the "Atlas Shrugged" projected movie timeline. If life turns out with a similar outcome, it will be because of a different reason causing it. There is a bit of sci-fi in the *A.S.* movie..
                    Spoiler:
                    and it reminded me of Stargate's event horizon, without the gate, of course. I'm still wondering how the story is going to explain *it* and why the gov't (in the story) couldn't even find the place on the other side.. An entire region cloaked?

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                    This review is spoiler-free, thankfully!

'So… Did anyone else get their pre-order early? This is a HUGE mistake via BBC America, one I’m very happy to be victimized by. I get to see Nightmare in Silver AND The Name of the Doctor early!

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                    The whole thing sounds very hinky to me at this point.
                    Considering that the info came from only one person, so far who claims to have fessed up, I might tend to agree. Most of the many commentaries surrounding this whole idea of a leakage also started getting suspicious of this being a hoax (unless the DVD's went out to the highly privileged friends/crew already connected to the show, which is normal..). It reminds me of the whole Star Trek super secret script news stuff -- under threat of.. The new Star Trek movie interviews were quite interesting as to who snuck off with what -- even with tight security...

I'm just amazed that Doctor Who has gained that same level of popularity as Star Trek -- and mostly revolving around just this one seasonal finale eppy..!
                    20 years ago, it was DOCTOR WHO? as in "what's that?.. never heard of it."

Historically, I am happy to hear this DW program has gained so much popularity, because it was challenging and depressing watching the "classic" years being grounded into the ground like a piece of junk by the BBC of ancient years (Doctors 1-7 stories.. Doctor#8 barely got a chance). I can't tell how many DW magazines I've read about the series being threatened into cancellation. I don't think TPTB in those years realized how amazingly versatile this show was; and I find it extremely weird reading comments about what is (or always has been considered to be) Canon within the series and what is not.

Plus, regarding more recent years, I've learned not to trust what I read on the internet. There's been too many false bunny trails that some people have just had a field day of *fun* leading to nothing --and not just about DW, but other programs too, such as Stargate (all series versions). Even snippet clips of so called actual scenes -- cannot be trusted. Preview commercials are especially bad, because sometimes, the scenes tend to be deliberately placed out of order to make the story look like something completely different than what actually occurs. Sci-Fi/SyFy channel was most famous for that. Teasers, regardless of what they claim to say or read as, innocently standing alone, could be completely taken out of context and apply to something totally disconnected from whatever our own imaginations think they might be. Such moments might end up merely serving to disappoint, so I personally try to ignore most of whatever is put "out there" in plain sight...
                    That's why they're labelled as teasers.. because they are not always what they might appear to be.
                    *sigh*

Comment

It's not a hoax. The BBC have reported it as well.
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I personally believe DW is popular mainly for it's longevity and a great reboot.

Alot of the older generation still remembers DW before it got rebooted. I came in around Tom Baker's time and got to watch when PBS broadcasted it, but then they stopped airing it. So I missed all the other seasons. Star Trek was only on air briefly so the fan following still amazes alot of the original casts, and how it survived through all these years and spawned many spin-offs.

Comment

Working...
                        X