Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it have killed them to mention Miracle Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it have killed them to mention Miracle Day?

Just for some semblance of continuity between TW and DW? With the ast few episodes using the "normal" lives of Amy and Rory as a big story point, you would think some reference to current Earth events could at least have a passing mention.
    sigpic

The BBC try to avoid any references to events in Torchwood. They do not want children trying to watch Torchwood to find out what has been going on. Likewise under no circumstances will the Doctor ever be seen in Torchwood episodes. They might talk about him but he will never be shown.

Comment

Chances are that Rory and Amy were offworld with the Doctor during the event of Miracle day. By the time they got back they were probably told about it but the Doctor probably assumed or worked out that Torchwood/Harkness had dealt with it and therefore there was no reason for it to be mentioned.

Comment

That was the problem with Miracle World in the first place. You could never believe it was actual part of Doctor Who.

That and it was overlong and boring so I'm quite glad Doctor Who never referenced it.

Besides Torchwood was/is RTD era Doctor Who and they've referenced that as little as possible during moffat's reign.
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
          That was the problem with Miracle World in the first place. You could never believe it was actual part of Doctor Who.

That and it was overlong and boring so I'm quite glad Doctor Who never referenced it.

Besides Torchwood was/is RTD era Doctor Who and they've referenced that as little as possible during moffat's reign.
          Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of that part of Moffat's tenure. He completely ignores everything from the RTD era except the stuff that he wrote during it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
            Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of that part of Moffat's tenure. He completely ignores everything from the RTD era except the stuff that he wrote during it.
            That isn't all that surprising given that their writing styles are very different. But Moffat I believe also chooses not to reference the previous seasons simply because RTD did it so often. RTD crossed over his own characters and stories so often that it became a bit too self obsessed. Moffat chooses to do it far more like the classic series. In the classic series once a companion was gone, they were gone and there was no dwelling over it. Or very little anyway. Additionally most of the villains that RTD created were....well they were too earth based to be re-used. Wasps, Rhinos, cats etc. Why would Moffat want to reference that sort of thing? Though it is a little unfair to say that he ignores what came before. He has mentioned the likes of Rose, and Jack and other events. But speaking as a writer myself I know that if I was following on from another writer I would also not want to use too much of their material. It is Moffats time now and he has his own stories he wants to tell. It is not necessary to hark back to old events and stories, especially not when there's a new Doctor now with a new personality.

As for the main point of the thread, miracle day, I would never expect them to mention Torchwood again now that RTD has left. Why would you? They are completely independent shows now. Yes Torchwood will occasionally mention the Doctor, just in the same way that Doctor Who occasionally mentions Jack, but you can't expect two shows with two completely separate tones and audiences to mention each other in explicit terms.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I would like to see Captain Jack back in DW for another episode :-) his character works in both in my honest opinion also we don't know if there is going to be any more TW.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X