No announcement yet.

The Sonic Screwdriver: Is it overused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it only makes sense that it would do more now. I mean he's had several centuries to make upgrades.

Comment

Then. Now it literally is a Magic Wand. And it is way over used,but thats really just to endorse toy sales. That and the poor Doctor only has 40 odd min to save the day. He dosen't have that much time any more to be clever. Back in the old days ever adventure was almost 90 minutets.
      Poor Doctor.
      Althought its a little better now then it was with RTD/Tennent.
      I like Sharky
      sigpic

Comment

Star Trek had the transporters... Doctor Who has the sonic screwdriver...

I know the writers got rid of the sonic in Davison's era - to force them to be more clever... What does that say of modern Who...

I understand that they only do 40odd minute episodes... and the sonic is a tool to progress that story at a faster pace... But yes - way to annoying now... very frustrating.

I'm sure that without it, the writers could still do 40 minute stories...
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Have to agree - am not entirely happy with the last season or so it suddenly become a sensor as well as lock pick.

Comment

This thread kinda reminds of a Youtube video I recently found...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywtklrmgyxc

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie_Vampiress View Post

lol
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

This thread kinda reminds of a Youtube video I recently found...[/url]
                Now that was funny... And SO highlights the issues we mostly all have with the "sonic"...

If I had the time right now I'd track down the clip of Joanna Lumley as the 14th Doctor, with her sonic screwdriver...
                back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                and lots more!

Comment

How about something inbetween? I don't mind the screwdriver having more functions than just door unlocking. As in door unlocking and scanning things and thus, for providing exposition. Its better they use the screwdriver and not create umpteen different useless props for the doctor to bring along for the same purpose.

You've got to admit that its amusing when Nine gives his screwdriver to Rose and tells her to use setting (a ridiculously big number) to re-attach barbwire.

But yes, I agree the screwdriver should never be the solution to the episode in and of itself.

I can't remember this actually being the case in many episodes though. At its very worst the Doctor has to figure out the right thing to sonic or climb up somewhere really high and dangerous to use it.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Lol.

Comment

Well it only makes sense that it would do more now. I mean he's had several centuries to make upgrades.
                      But....at some point it stops being a sonic screwdriver and becomes a tricorder.
                      sigpic
                      Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

I like the 'now' model definitely, But just as a door opener/signal tracker or generally within the boundaries of sonic/sound manipulation. But I do think healing is a bit too far, but for the life of me I cannot think of an episode where it actually healed someone?, Maybe I missed it.
                        sigpic

Comment

The different versions of the Doctor's sonic screwdrivers exhibited different capabilities and uses, such as the interception of signals ranging from transmat beams to conscious thought; medical diagnostics and repair of organic parts; (DW: The Empty Child, The Vampires of Venice).
                          sigpic
                          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

To be honest none of it is that far fetched. Afterall us humans have managed ultrasound,sonar,ultrasonic levetation (youtube it), there is even studies that suggest that ultrasonic waves can rotate screws, levate objects (as mentioned before) and even be used to seperate damaged cells. So baring that in mind, a super smart, time tavelling alien can do all that and more isnt far fetched at all. It's far from a magic wand
                            sigpic

Comment

I hope that the new Doctor played by Peter Capaldi is a Doctor that uses his brain and doesn't rely on the sonic screwdriver.

They over used it last series. It's use as a "get out of jail" card and lazy writers. Hope this changes

Discuss.
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Haha I love that clip
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X