Who actors in other roles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/22/arrow-alex-kingston/
    Alex Kingston is to guest star in Arrow playing Laurels mum.

Comment

John Barrowman and Alex Kingston on the set of Arrow.

Comment

Trailer for Broadchurch with David Tennant and Arthur Darvill. This starts sometime in March in the UK.

Comment

Andrew Garfield The Amazing Spiderman...... was in Daleks in Manhatten/evolution of the daleks wow
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Broadchurch, with David Tennant and Arthur Darvill, starts tonight on ITV at 9.00 pm.

1/8 - Out-of-town DI Alec Hardy investigates the mysterious death of an 11-year-old boy in an idyllic seaside community, aided by local girl DS Ellie Miller, who has her work cut out dealing with her unyielding new boss. Meanwhile, the sadness of losing their child consumes Beth and Mark Latimer as they and the other residents of Broadchurch try to cope with the media frenzy surrounding the case. Crime drama, starring David Tennant, Olivia Colman, Andrew Buchan, Jodie Whittaker, Arthur Darvill, Vicky McClure and Pauline Quirke.

Comment

I watched Broadchurch last night and really enjoyed it. Superb acting, excellent story by Chris Chibnall and it was fun picking out all the Doctor Who people. I spotted five. (David Tennant, Arthur Darvill, Olivia Coleman, Tracey Childs & David Bradley). Highly recommended.

Comment

I watched the second episode of Broadchurch tonight, David Tennant is excellent. Arthur Darvill hasn't been in it much yet - slightly Rory-esque as the vicar. Can't wait for next week to find out what happens next.

It's here on itvplayer - https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/broadchurch - if anyone wants to catch up (only plays in the UK).

Comment

Also at one point Freema narrated Bizare ER, not sure if she still does, it's not really on that much any more, but from time to time you can catch an episode of it on tv.

Series about eye-watering cases which come through the doors of British A&E departments.
                  sigpic
                  McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                  Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                  ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

John Simm will star in The Village this weekend.

Comment

Cargese, directed by Doctor Who's Matt Smith - first review

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...--first-review

If Matt Smith does call time on his role in Doctor Who at the end of this year, which new path will he take? Cargese, his directorial debut which comes to Sky Arts 1 HD on 30 May, hints that he might move away from the spectacle of big-budget science fiction and go back to his acting roots. On this evidence he'd be more than capable of helming an indie film where atmosphere and the tiny, telling details of performance are what count.

Cargese, written by award-winning playwright Simon Stephens, is part of the Playhouse Presents strand: half-hour one-offs that tend towards the impressionistic, the artsy and, as the name implies, the theatrical. So it is here in a piece about two teenage friends, adrift in a dull urban landscape. Carl (Craig Roberts) is about to escape to go to college; Stephen (Joe Cole) is the wilder, rougher and needier of the two, particularly now he and his meek brother Alex (Perry Millward) spend their time at home watching their mother die of cancer.

Craig Roberts played the lead in Submarine but is in a supporting role here: it's all about Joe Cole (the violent baddie Luke from Skins) as Stephen, who is the sort of kid your mother worries you might end up hanging around with. He's full of rage, at being abandoned by Carl, his dying mother and his already absent father, and at his lack of options in life. Gradually we realise Stephen is genuinely unhinged: Cole and Smith cook up a disturbing recurring motif of him grinning and giggling at inappropriate moments, and there's a visceral scene where he will not stop dancing violently to the music on his headphones, even after Carl has ripped the headphones off him.

Cargese is described by Sky Arts as "poetic realism", which I think means we're supposed to let ourselves gloss over a rather overcooked twist in the middle that makes it hard to believe any of Roberts and Cole's later scenes. Smith could perhaps have provoked Roberts into breaking out of his tendency to underplay.

There are a lot of intense, theatre-workshop two-handers, which Smith directs with restraint, mostly staying out of the way and using close-ups sparingly and effectively. But the sketchy script also obliges him to fill in the gaps with his own, more esoteric imagery. This makes Cargese a brave choice of first project, but his compositions show a lot of promise. I liked his recurring, hand-held wide shot of Stephen swallowed up by a particularly drab and anonymous part of town, and his occasional trick of bringing out the nuance of the dialogue by laying it over shots of the same characters interacting wordlessly. He makes good use of the cold sky and snowy ground that were available during the January shoot, too.

Smith himself doesn't appear in Cargese. Since he's so faultlessly good in Doctor Who, you'd hate to see too many future projects where he contents himself with staying behind the camera – but it's clear he has talent there too. It's a nice problem to have...

Comment

Alex Kingston joins Branagh’s Manchester Macbeth

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/produ...ester-macbeth/

Alex Kingston will play Lady Macbeth alongside Kenneth Branagh in the title role of Shakespeare’s play at this year’s Manchester International Festival.

The production, which is directed by Rob Ashford and Branagh, will be staged within the walls of a deconsecrated Manchester church.

Kingston is a former member of the Royal Shakespeare Company and has performed in Much Ado About Nothing, King Lear and Love’s Labour’s Lost among other shows. She is also well known for her roles as Dr Elizabeth Corday in ER and River Song in Doctor Who.

This production is commissioned and produced by Manchester International Festival. It will run from July 5 to 21.

Comment

Arthur Darvill travels from TARDIS to Broadway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22538267

By the time Arthur Darvill left Dr Who last year his career as an actor had received a huge boost from playing the part of Rory Williams. But of the many paths his career could have taken post-Who, starring in a hit musical on Broadway was surely one of the least likely.

On Broadway Arthur Darvill is now The Guy. Literally.

He's just taken over the male lead, known only as the Guy, in the Dublin-set musical Once at the Bernard B Jacobs Theatre.

Manhattan's 45th Street is a long way from Cardiff where Darvill filmed three series of Dr Who alongside Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. So how did his new job come about?

"It's been an amazing leap," he says. "I'm friends with the stage director Mike Longhurst and he was here in New York directing a play with Jake Gyllenhaal last year. I was over on holiday so I sat in on some of the auditions. And that's how I met Once's casting director. "That led to me auditioning for the show. So chance and coincidence was definitely part of it - but it was also a role I was hungry to take on."

Once, now playing in London too, originated in 2006 as a film. Darvill's role is that of an unnamed street-musician in Dublin who falls in love with a Czech girl. Most of the songs are by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

"I didn't really have any formal training in musical theatre," says Darvill. "But I've been in bands for years and I sing. In fact while I'm in New York I'm writing music for a play at Shakespeare's Globe in London. So though I trained at Rada as an actor, music's been a big part of my life."

Did Darvill worry he wouldn't be able to sustain a Dublin accent for eight performances a week? "Well we had excellent help from a dialect coach. But singing in an accent is a different thing and I'm not sure people actually sing in their own voice anyway. It's always a performance.

"When I listen to myself sing, even in my own accent, I hear influences ranging from the Manic Street Preachers to Michael Jackson. It's a joy to sing Glen Hansard's music - I've loved his stuff for years. But in the show my character is supposed to have written the songs so it has to be a very personal performance".
                          Party animal

Darvill isn't the only Brit in the cast. He's playing opposite Joanna Christie as The Girl, recently seen on TV in ITV drama series Mr Selfridge.

"We did our recall audition together here in New York. And we worked on it together to make sure that the next day we'd both give our best audition ever. But I heard I'd got the part about half an hour before she did and for those 30 minutes Jo was slightly insane," says Darvill.

"We've both found it doesn't make a lot of difference that we're playing to Americans. Maybe New York audiences are a bit more demonstrative - but that's partly because our ushers on Broadway do a great job whipping them into a frenzy in a way you don't get in London.

"The one thing which irritates me here is the number of phones going off in the auditorium: it's definitely worse than at home."

New York has long had a reputation as the city that never sleeps and Darvill is committed to Once until the end of the year. So is he pacing himself to cope with the lifestyle?

"Probably it's a good thing I'd been here before, both on holiday and for Doctor Who. I do have a tendency to go out and not know my limits so it was good I got that out of my system before I came here to work.

"I know what I could be doing socially - but this is such a demanding job that you have to cut back.

"Normally I'm a coffee fiend but I've even had to switch to decaf, which I swore I'd never do. But you have to do it for the sake of your voice. As part of the job you get to see a voice doctor so you get plenty of good advice. Fortunately I'd given up cigarettes about three months ago but I've also changed my diet and I'm exercising more. I'm still pretty fond of dollar-a-slice pizza - but they'll be the next thing to go."

Leaving a successful TV show such as Doctor Who can be tricky for an actor. So has the move to New York for eight months proved the perfect solution?

"Well luck plays a big role in any acting career: even the best people are only asked to do a limited number of jobs. This came along at the right time and it was all fixed up very quickly. And we decided to do no publicity until now, which has taken the pressure off a bit.

"The downside of being in New York is I'll miss all the Doctor Who 50th anniversary stuff. It's still a show I'm hugely fond of. So if I get asked to do one or two little bits and pieces I hope I'll be in a position to say yes."

Once is running at the Bernard B Jacobs Theatre in New York until the autumn 2013.

Comment

Just a quick reminder that Cargese, directed by Matt Smith, is on Sky Art 1 HD on Thursday 30th May.

http://skyarts.sky.com/playhouse-pre...es-2-announced

Cargese on 30 May

Written by Simon Stephens. Directed by Matt Smith

Simon Stephens and Matt Smith join forces to create a unique piece of poetic realism which mines the tragic seam of adolescent love and loss. Starring Craig Roberts, Joe Cole and Avigail Tlalim.

Comment

MACBETH starring Kenneth Branagh and Alex Kingston to be broadcast from Manchester International Festival as part of National Theatre Live UK live broadcast: Saturday 20 July 2013

http://www.don411.com/entry/macbeth-....3SG5Rcdj.dpbs

Manchester International Festival’s production of MACBETH, with Kenneth Branagh in the title role and Alex Kingston as Lady Macbeth, will be broadcast to cinemas in the UK as part of National Theatre Live on Saturday 20 July (international dates to be confirmed). Directed by Rob Ashford and Kenneth Branagh, this tragic tale of ambition and treachery unfolds within the walls of an intimate deconsecrated Manchester Church.

Macbeth from Manchester International Festival marks National Theatre Live’s first festival partnership and fourth broadcast from outside the National Theatre. Over one million people worldwide have now seen a National Theatre Live broadcast in 23 countries, including 250 cinemas and performing arts venues in the UK.

Former Royal Shakespeare Company members Jimmy Yuill and John Shrapnel will play Banquo and Duncan. Alexander Vlahos (Mordred in BBC’s Merlin) will play Malcolm,Norman Bowman (Finding Neverland; Guys & Dolls West End) will play Ross, Ray Fearon (Coronation Street; RSC Othello) will play Macduff and Rosalie Craig (NT Shed Table; Finding Neverland) will play Lady Macduff. The weird sisters will be played by Laura Elsworthy (The Kitchen Sink), Anjana Vasan (RSC Much Ado About Nothing) and Charlie Cameron (The Addicted). The cast also includes: Andy Apollo, David Annen, Elliot Balchin, Nari Blair, Steven Cree, Jordan Dean, Patrick Neil Doyle, Pip Pearce, Cody Green, Daniel Ings, Harry Lister-Smith, Stuart Neal, Harry Polden, Dominic Thornburn, Katie West and Benny Young.

Kenneth Branagh returns to the stage for his first Shakespearean role in over a decade. He has garnered international acclaim as a writer, director and actor across the disciplines of stage, film and television, and he has been nominated in five different categories for an Academy Award.

Alex Kingston won critical acclaim for her numerous television roles including Dr. Elizabeth Corday in ER and River Song in Doctor Who. A former member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, performing in Much Ado About Nothing, King Lear and Love’s Labours Lost amongst others, Kingston was recently seen on the London stage in Luise Miller at the Donmar Warehouse. In 2006 she played Nurse Ratched in the West End production of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest starring Christian Slater. Recent feature film credits include Sweetland opposite Alan Cummings and Alpha Dog, starring Justin Timberlake.

Rob Ashford has directed and choreographed productions on both sides of the Atlantic, from collaborations with the Donmar Warehouse and National Theatre to major Broadway productions. Awards and nominations include: an Olivier Award for Anna Christie and nominations for A Streetcar Named Desire and Parade (Donmar Warehouse); and a Tony Award® for Thoroughly Modern Millie, with nominations for productions including Evita and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. He also won an Emmy Award for his choreography at the 81st Academy Awards.

This production of Macbeth is commissioned and produced by Manchester International Festival. It runs Friday 5 – Sunday 21 July 2013.

National Theatre Live enables audiences to experience the best of British theatre throughout the year, as the National Theatre broadcasts performances live from stage to screen.

For a full list of UK and international venues and ticket information visit www.ntlive.com.

Comment

http://cultfix.co.uk/guardians-of-th...lain-22885.htm
                                Karen Gillan cast as lead villain in Guardians of the Galaxy

Comment

Working...
                                X