Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Doctor Who episode did you watch today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billz View Post
    Surprised you can sit through that K-9 dribble to be honest with you. Besides the brief appearence of K-9 Mark 1 in the first episode before "regenerating" (robots can't regenerate damnit! ), the K-9 series has virtually nothing to do with the Whoniverse. Plus, it's a boring show anyway.

Thanks for reminding me to pick up "The Mutants" when next in HMV though. I knew I had forgot to do something today. :facepalm:

On topic, The Keeper Of Traken was the last serial I watched recently.
    "Boring show" in your HUMBLE opinion.

If you watched K-9 you'd see one of the lead characters pull out a device from K-9's destroyed remains with some Gallifreyan writing on it which was undoubtedly installed in him when he stayed on the planet of the Time Lords with Leela. If Time Lords can master black holes and create time travel machines that are bigger on the inside than on the outside and can change their physical interiors and exteriors, then creating a device which can alter a 51st century robot should be child's play by comparison.

And remind me again...what exactly does it take for something to be part of the franchise? I think the lead character having previously appeared in the parent show would be the major one. Just because K-9 isn't being made by the BBC doesn't make it any less a part of the Whoniverse. It's merely a licensing issue that prevents the creators of K-9 making more explicit, in-your-face, references to Doctor Who. It's a harmless show that the writers say follows K-9 Mk. I after the Last Great Time War and which can neither confirm or contradict Doctor Who. And with K-9 being set 40-years after the events seen in Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures nothing it does can go against or be mentioned in those shows.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I think that 'mere' licensing issue is a pretty colossal stumbling block, personally. I haven't watched the show, so I certainly can't speak with any authority on K-9; but a spin-off not being legally allowed to mention its parent series is a pretty big problem.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        "Boring show" in your HUMBLE opinion.

If you watched K-9 you'd see one of the lead characters pull out a device from K-9's destroyed remains with some Gallifreyan writing on it which was undoubtedly installed in him when he stayed on the planet of the Time Lords with Leela. If Time Lords can master black holes and create time travel machines that are bigger on the inside than on the outside and can change their physical interiors and exteriors, then creating a device which can alter a 51st century robot should be child's play by comparison.

And remind me again...what exactly does it take for something to be part of the franchise? I think the lead character having previously appeared in the parent show would be the major one. Just because K-9 isn't being made by the BBC doesn't make it any less a part of the Whoniverse. It's merely a licensing issue that prevents the creators of K-9 making more explicit, in-your-face, references to Doctor Who. It's a harmless show that the writers say follows K-9 Mk. I after the Last Great Time War and which can neither confirm or contradict Doctor Who. And with K-9 being set 40-years after the events seen in Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures nothing it does can go against or be mentioned in those shows.
        I saw the first episode, and to be honest, I still stand by what I said earlier. That doesn't mean to say that no-one should watch the show. Some people like it, and some people don't (SGU being a prime example). But when a supposed spin-off makes barely any mention of the original show or characters because of a licensing issue, then that is a big problem and will alienate some fans.

I still thought it was boring though which is why I never continued past the first episode. Just my opinion.
        Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          I think that 'mere' licensing issue is a pretty colossal stumbling block, personally. I haven't watched the show, so I certainly can't speak with any authority on K-9; but a spin-off not being legally allowed to mention its parent series is a pretty big problem.
          Why? Fans know who K-9 is through Doctor Who so anyone who watched that will be well aware of K-9's past and his travels with the Doctor. If there's people watching K-9 who haven't seen Doctor Who before then their just watching a self-contained show. As a fan I know the ins and outs of K-9's past, so therefore I don't need the direct references. Just having subtle references like the brief appearance of the original K-9 model, some Gallifreyan writing on a device, an Axon contained in a cell, and drawings of an Alpha Centauran, a Sea Devil, and a Mandrel in this show have been good enough for me because I know what they are and they make me cheer because I know the history of them. To new viewers their just things they've seen and I imagine that exact same thing has happened for Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures too when the Cybermen are mentioned and a Sontaran appeared. To fans...fun history time. To new viewers...the show goes on.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Colony in Space
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
            Originally posted by Jonzey
            Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

18.01 The Leisure Hive

Wha, what a lot of changes! New theme music, new theme sequence, new incidental music during the episodes, the return of John Leeson and....where the heck has the Doctor's scarf gone?!
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Dæmons

The doctor seems to have no patience for superstition...
                Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Genesis of the Daleks (Tom Baker anno 1975) *snickers*
                  Twinchy---
                  sigpic
                  FanFic---------------------------------------------------Twinchy's Lair

Comment

Yesterday, I finally received Doctor Who season 5 on DVD. I couldn't watch everything I wanted to because of work the past 3 days but this is what I watched through last night:

The Eleventh Hour (plus bonus scene)
                    The Beast Below
                    Victory of the Daleks
                    The Time of Angels
                    Flesh and Stone (plus bonus scene)
                    sigpic

Comment

Logopolis

Everytime I see Tom Baker's Doctor regenerate into Peter Davison's Doctor, I shed a little tear.
                      Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

18.02 Meglos

Tom Baker looks like he lost a LOT of weight this season.
                        Last edited by DigiFluid; 03 February 2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Day of the Daleks

Comment

The Time of Angels

Spoiler:
                            Even though I don't watch the new episodes.. (cuz I only loved the 10th doctor) I still thought this episode was reallyy interesting!
                            sigpic
                            My tumblr

Comment

Doctor Who is change, embrace it

Comment

The Curse of Peladon

Comment

Working...
                                X