Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Doctor Who episode did you watch today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched The Vampires of Venice a few days ago and The Hungry Earth today.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
      In 1994/5 the ABC here in Australia did a run of Peter Davison episodes (and maybe Colin too...) at 4.30am...

Tape was at a premium, and I didn't trust timers anyway, so - 4.25am every morning my alarm would go off, I'd wander down to the loungeroom and turn the tv on... wait for the start of the episode, start the VCR (that's a Video Cassette Recorder, kids), watch the episode... stop the recorder, and go back to bed.

What came on at 4.25am, just before Doctor Who? Basil Brush, of course... for all the young kids who were awake at 4.25am...
      Good grief. I used to do something like that back when the STV region was showing "War of the Worlds".
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Angels Take Manhattan
        no means no, and so does pepper spray
        Sig by The Carpenter
        sigpic

Comment

Cold Blood
          sigpic

Comment

Vampires of Venice. The copy I watched was put on a dvd of other stuff by an American penpal and I was most puzzled to find several small scenes either not there or well cut down. Not sure if this is the place to put this comment, but is this generally the case with Doctor Who in the States ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tristen1 View Post
              Vampires of Venice. The copy I watched was put on a dvd of other stuff by an American penpal and I was most puzzled to find several small scenes either not there or well cut down. Not sure if this is the place to put this comment, but is this generally the case with Doctor Who in the States ?
              From what I understand, yes. Doctor Who in the US is edited to make room for more ads.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                From what I understand, yes. Doctor Who in the US is edited to make room for more ads.
                That is absolutely correct, unfortunately.
                I had watched a new ep on BBC America at 9PM one Saturday, and was up at 5AM Sunday morning and watched the same ep. there was definitely more Dr Who than the night before when it first was shown. There were far more Advertisements at 9PM., and it made the episode very disconnected. 5AM showing didn't have so many adverts.
                I get much more out of Dr Who when I buy the DVD's. It's really sad.
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

That's really sad to hear... I've noticed locally (Australia) that old tv shows are butchered to fit more ads in... Which I presume comes down to 2 things - older tv shows ran longer than modern ones (about 5 minutes per hour I think), and secondly I think when tv networks are screening old shows, they just don't care if they cut them to fit more ads in...

I know when the 96 telemovie aired in the UK, US, and AU, AU had the best deal, seeing more than the other two, because in the US it was edited for ads (though officially I don't think much was "lost", a few scenes had longer fades in/out), and the UK screening was edited for censors, which didn't happen in Australia, where it was aired commercial free as always on the ABC...
                  back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                  "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                  "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                  and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                    older tv shows ran longer than modern ones (about 5 minutes per hour I think)
                    Pretty much, yeah.

I'm in the middle of a Mission: Impossible rewatch and the episodes typically run for just under 50mins.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure MASH era shows ran even as long as 52 minutes... though I could be wrong.

Yet most modern sci fi "hours" are only about 42 minutes...

It's just criminal what they do to The Simpsons here on Network Ten... So much cut out...
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

A typical M*A*S*H episode was generally around the 25min mark. Occasionally, a season opener would be double length. And the series finale, "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" was a two hour special.
                        sigpic

Comment

Vincent and the Doctor
                          sigpic

Comment

The Lodger
                            sigpic

Comment

DOCTOR WHO
                              07.04 - Inferno

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

The Pandorica Opens.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X