Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr River Song Speculation/Discussion ( Spoilers needed for S6/32 discussion)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    Firstly, his mum would be a Time Lord, and Time Lords regenerate and time travel. Secondly, we don't canonically know that was his mum, do we? It was never confirmed or even mentioned on-screen.
    Didn't the show's producer confirm this?

And even if she did regenerate she's stuck in the time lock with the other Time Lords
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Or if not his mother, then some other female relative.

The way River talks down to the Doctor reminds me of the way the women in my family (my mother and sister-in-law in particular) speak to me. They seem to think I'm A: Stupid, B: Still a child (I'm 40 BTW), or C: Both.
      Time Lords must have odd relationships with their female relatives then. I don't know any guys who would kiss their mother like this

Spoiler:

Here's a bit from an interview with Steven Moffat in this months DWM.

What does the unmasking of River - played by Alex Kingston since 2008 two-parter Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead - mean for the character?

"A lot. Well, no, she already knows who she is. It's not going to change her a lot. But the balance of her relationship with the Doctor is constantly changing, because each time he knows her a bit better and she knows him a bit less, so they're heading towards equilibrium. To be honest, I don't think the whole 'who is she?' question is the most interesting thing about her; I think it's the ultimate no-win, tragic love story. She dies when he first meets her, and now he gets to know her and sort of fall for her a bit. That's the fun part to write."

What's more she's a brilliant way into a story. "She can just erupt into the Doctor's life, and cause absolute screaming havoc," he enthuses, " which may continue or may not depending on who she is. But I like the fact there's someone out there who can yank his chain. The main thing that he finds sexy, I suppose, is someone who can put him in trouble, because he loves trouble. He thinks, "River has turned up, it's going to be bad - hooray! And I thought it was going to be a boring day.'"

Is she the character that Steven enjoys writing the most? It seems that way sometimes, reading the scripts.

"They're kind of all fun in their different ways. The Doctor is brilliant fun to write, but he's exhausting, because you're constantly trying to write somebody who's got an extraordinary mind, when you've only got an ordinary one. I have to do that with Sherlock Holmes as well. I love writing River because she's cheeky, but it's all about the Doctor in a way."

"It's who the various people he meets force him to be. He's confused dad-cum-boyfriend with Amy. He's slightly combative, but trying to be fatherly with Rory. With River, the only person who knows more than he does, he's just a little bit annoyed, but at the same time thinking, she is so cool. Plus, she's bad. She's not a completely good person, like him. She's deeply naughty, which he never is."

[snippage]

But most of the fun, says Steven, is writing the foursome. "That's the Doctor, River, Rory and Amy. They're all so distinct. You've got this quasi family unit going on, which is all back-to-front and stupid. You've got Mum and Dad, and the kids. I loved writing those scenes in the opening two-parter with the four of them...."

Comment

Oh would this female relative thing just die already! Ive been saying it for months! Years even that shes not related to him! Im right.. why don't people just listen to what I say and let that be true
        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Anyone think River might just be a kind of crazy stalker that somehow found out his real name and is just pulling him along telling him they were together in the hopes that they might be.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
            Oh would this female relative thing just die already! Ive been saying it for months! Years even that shes not related to him! Im right.. why don't people just listen to what I say and let that be true
            Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

No ones opinion is more valid than anyone else's.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by padr49904 View Post
              Anyone think River might just be a kind of crazy stalker that somehow found out his real name and is just pulling him along telling him they were together in the hopes that they might be.
              OMG a time traveling bunny boiler
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

No ones opinion is more valid than anyone else's.
                No really though its very clearly wrong... like wrong to the point of me arguing that Natalie Portman infact plays the part of River Song and that its not alex kingston.. its just something thats very very clearly wrong like we've all seen them making out in the trailer..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                  No really though its very clearly wrong... like wrong to the point of me arguing that Natalie Portman infact plays the part of River Song and that its not alex kingston.. its just something thats very very clearly wrong like we've all seen them making out in the trailer..
                  So?

She could be doing it to mess with his head.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I am just hoping she not the doctor wife, way to obvious.

Comment

Hi folks,

Did you notice that in the beginning stages of 'The Impossible Astronaut'
                      Spoiler:
                      when the future Doctor and River have a look at their diaries, I noticed that they were identical. Wonder if River's diary is actually the same diary in the Doctor's hands!

Comment

Originally posted by vp1398 View Post
                        Hi folks,

Did you notice that in the beginning stages of 'The Impossible Astronaut'
                        Spoiler:
                        when the future Doctor and River have a look at their diaries, I noticed that they were identical. Wonder if River's diary is actually the same diary in the Doctor's hands!
                        They're not, they just look similar but the doctors is smaller

Comment

Someone of LJ just posted a tweet from Steven Moffat regarding River.

squigglywhosan @steven_moffat why does River know Rory now when she didn't know him in the Big Bang? Isn't that episode in her future?

Spoiler:
                          stephenmoffat @squigglywhosan She DOES know him, she pretends not to. Spoilers.

and one about Amy

nightsky47 @steven_moffat I. Really loved it the ep . Best ep ever. But one thing i have to ask. Amy drinking wine when she is pregnant?!

Spoiler:
                          steven_moffat @nightsky47 She's Scottish.

LOL.

Comment

I dont think Rivers the girl in the spacesuit. Im hoping shes someone unexpected or that will shock us.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                              I dont think Rivers the girl in the spacesuit. Im hoping shes someone unexpected or that will shock us.
                              I dunno... When the astronaut first appeared and spoke to the Doctor, they raised their visor and I'm fairly sure we caught a split second glimpse of River's hair.
                              sigpic

Comment

I dunno... When the astronaut first appeared and spoke to the Doctor, they raised their visor and I'm fairly sure we caught a split second glimpse of River's hair.
                                Oooo, i just had a really really interesting thought as to who River may be, but it contains spoilers for episode 2.
                                But my theory could also be wrong, depends what happens in episode 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X