Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr River Song Speculation/Discussion ( Spoilers needed for S6/32 discussion)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was browsin the net and I found this:

Submitted by Republibot 3.0 on Tue, 01/11/2011 - 13:56
    River Song is probably the most interesting recurring character in the Whoniverse. I won't bother to explain all about her here, if you watch the show you know. If you don't watch the show, you don't care, so let's just assume you follow it.

There's much speculation about who and what she 'really' is, and her role in the Doctor's life. Personally, I think it's fairly straightforward: The Doctor's first meeting with River is her death. Her first meeting with him is his death. Basically it's just a device to give the Doctor a more interesting character to play off of outside of the standard "Companion" thing.

I don't think she's his mom/sister/daughter/self/the rani/future amy/ or any of the other hoo-hah that's been suggested without any real evidence. Certainly he'd know if she was a Time Lady, since Galifreyans can all sense each other. I believe she's exactly what she says she is - which is plenty interesting enough on its own - she's an amoral, murderous, stalkery woman who somehow got him to marry her. Do we need more than that?

It's strongly implied that she deliberately brought about his death. "Death" could mean regeneration, but I don't think so. That'd be too cheap, at least under normal circumstances. Obviously it can't *really* be the Doctor's death, but just as clearly River tries to kill him for some reason, and she believes she's succeeded. Not only that, the authorities believe so as well, as per the priest/warriors (I really, really, really liked them, btw, particularly the Bishop's last scene. Wow!).

Thus at some point in the Doctor's future he comes close enough to death that people think he's dead for a substantial period of time.

The only real questions here is *why* does she kill him, and why does she think he's really dead? On their first meeting? And then spend a lifetime trying to make it up to him? Certainly the authorities seem none too pleased.
    <Snipped by Moderator>

Mod Insert : To read the entirety of this article please click to view : REPUBLIBOT.COM
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 27 January 2011, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vp1398 View Post
      I was browsin the net and I found this:

Submitted by Republibot 3.0 on Tue, 01/11/2011 - 13:56
      River Song is probably the most interesting recurring character in the Whoniverse. I won't bother to explain all about her here, if you watch the show you know. If you don't watch the show, you don't care, so let's just assume you follow it.

There's much speculation about who and what she 'really' is, and her role in the Doctor's life. Personally, I think it's fairly straightforward: The Doctor's first meeting with River is her death. Her first meeting with him is his death. Basically it's just a device to give the Doctor a more interesting character to play off of outside of the standard "Companion" thing.

I don't think she's his mom/sister/daughter/self/the rani/future amy/ or any of the other hoo-hah that's been suggested without any real evidence. Certainly he'd know if she was a Time Lady, since Galifreyans can all sense each other. I believe she's exactly what she says she is - which is plenty interesting enough on its own - she's an amoral, murderous, stalkery woman who somehow got him to marry her. Do we need more than that?

It's strongly implied that she deliberately brought about his death. "Death" could mean regeneration, but I don't think so. That'd be too cheap, at least under normal circumstances. Obviously it can't *really* be the Doctor's death, but just as clearly River tries to kill him for some reason, and she believes she's succeeded. Not only that, the authorities believe so as well, as per the priest/warriors (I really, really, really liked them, btw, particularly the Bishop's last scene. Wow!).

Thus at some point in the Doctor's future he comes close enough to death that people think he's dead for a substantial period of time.

The only real questions here is *why* does she kill him, and why does she think he's really dead? On their first meeting? And then spend a lifetime trying to make it up to him? Certainly the authorities seem none too pleased.
      <Snipped by Moderator>

Mod Insert : To read the entirety of this article please click to view : REPUBLIBOT.COM

That was an awesome read. Pity you can't add comments. I couldn't find the link to add a comment.

Another mystery is how and why she finds out the Doctor's real name.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Maybe she is the Doctor's last regeneration, maybe that's why the her sonic screwdriver had her memory memory chip imprinted in it, because she remembered when she was to die she was to meet the her past regeneration as the 10th Doctor which would be her past self. This thing happened when Cassandra (the skin fellow) saw herself die without knowing, but in this way, the Doctor dies, and that would be just it and so the end of the series.

For sure we will have to wait season 6 to know the truth, but it is nice to imagine and speculate on what could happen in our favourite series.

Comment

And besides on the Doctor's name, she kwould have known it from her self being the doctor.

Comment

Maybe she is the Doctor's last regeneration, maybe that's why the her sonic screwdriver had her memory memory chip imprinted in it, because she remembered when she was to die she was to meet the her past regeneration as the 10th Doctor which would be her past self. This thing happened when Cassandra (the skin fellow) saw herself die without knowing, but in this way, the Doctor dies, and that would be just it and so the end of the series.

For sure we will have to wait season 6 to know the truth, but it is nice to imagine and speculate on what could happen in our favourite series.
            And besides on the Doctor's name, she kwould have known it from her self being the doctor.

See this annoys me now. Even I don't think River Song is an incarnation of The Doctor..Why would she go "Hello Sweetie" and carry on like that if she was The Doctor.... Bzzzzzzzt no don't like that.

Comment

Being difficult? Or just because she knew from her earlier encounters with herself how she's supposed to act (that's a paradox that's very Moff). It's not unthinkable.

That said, I absolutely do not believe that River is a later regeneration of the Doctor.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                But if River is the Silence then why all the games? Why not just wipe out The Doctor?
                You should have learn by now that super villains always like to play games with the good guys, got to give them a chance, a james bond film would not be half as good if the villain just stuck a bullet into Bond head instead of throw him the shark tank.

Well except the villain in the Watchman.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  You should have learn by now that super villains always like to play games with the good guys, got to give them a chance, a james bond film would not be half as good if the villain just stuck a bullet into Bond head instead of throw him the shark tank.

Well except the villain in the Watchman.

Sigh.. I know this. And the Villain must do a long monologue describing their plan and even showing the good guy how they will achieve what they want.

Comment

What if the dream lord some how return an takes complete control of the doctor, basically turning him evil an that when Song has to kill him.

Spoiler,
                    In the trailer we know her an her people are trying to build there own Tardus, what she want to take the doctor place an become a time a lord an cause the dream lord take over of the doctor to give her a reason to kill him.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 29 January 2011, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      What if the dream lord some how return an takes complete control of the doctor, basically turning him evil an that when Song has to kill him.

Spoiler,
                      In the trailer we know her an her people are trying to build there own Tardus, what she want to take the doctor place an become a time a lord an cause the dream lord take over of the doctor to give her a reason to kill him.

I'll be very annoyed if the Dreamlord returns. That was imho a very lame character.....Though why at the end when they're all back to normal was there a funny reflection in the TARDIS console?

Comment

I'll be very annoyed if the Dreamlord returns. That was imho a very lame character.....Though why at the end when they're all back to normal was there a funny reflection in the TARDIS console?
                        Because the Dreamlord is the Doctor, or an aspect of his unconscious/subconscious mind. I found him annoying but compelling, I sort of want to see him return, and sort of don't.
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

See this annoys me now. Even I don't think River Song is an incarnation of The Doctor..Why would she go "Hello Sweetie" and carry on like that if she was The Doctor.... Bzzzzzzzt no don't like that.

Don't get me wrong, I do not like that either, but just that's what I am thinking right now. Luckily enough we will get to know next spring, no?

Comment

BTW what are these

And where do you get them?

Cute and I want.

Comment

My guess would be they're prototypes for a new set of Time Squad mini-figures.
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                                My guess would be they're prototypes for a new set of Time Squad mini-figures.
                                What are those?

Comment

Working...
                                X