This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Title Music (season 4)

I see there isnt a discussion on this so I thought I'd start one.

What do you all think about the revamped title music for season 4?

When I first heard it my initial reaction was "WTF?" What was wrong with the music we had for seasons 1 to 3? It was catchy, dramatic and suited the new look Doctor Who perfectly. This new one seems bit retro to me - shades of the 1980's or earlier. its not particularly that catchy or memorable either

That said I suppose it is starting to 'grow' on me a bit. However i still prefer the previous music.

I'm not too cool with it. But what can you do?
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I rather like it personally - very similar to some of the classic versions of the theme - it's got kick to it which the older version didn't. It doesn't suit the stories too well (except the recent Sontaran episodes - which were classic Who from beginning to end if you ask me) but then - neither did the old one.
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I have to say I miss the drums running underneath the melody from seasons 1-3 but I do like the rising orchestral strings right at the end after the episode title is shown and we go into the episode...

Comment

I really like it. Not better than the previous one but they're sort of equal.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            I really like it. Not better than the previous one but they're sort of equal.
            Me too. The new theme song is one of my ringtones on my Treo... and I have the 1980s theme as another ringtone (one for known callers and one for unknown callers) .
            sigpic
            Don't touch Lola

Comment

I don't like it at all! I hoped it would grow on me but it doesn't. Murray Gold really needs to fix it.
              He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
              He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
              And he's wonderful.

Comment

Sci-fi works best with sweeping orchestral instrumentals. That electronic thing never works for me. I loved B5's orchestral music by Franke, but the Crusade music and its electronic score sucked. The Enterprise theme grew on me, perhaps this will, too.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

If i listen to them right after the other I really can't tell that much of a difference. There's just that little added quality in the new one.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I remember it made me furious in the Christmas special, but I really don't notice it anymore. Which means it's either changed, or I've gotten used to it.

Either way, I don't mind it.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

^ They did actually change it slightly after the Christmas special - added a little more to it.

To be honest, I reckon it's about time they did a new version anyway - Doc 10 now has his own theme. Lovely
                      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

What I care most about is that the middle eight is audible at some stage during the end credits. It is at the moment, so I'm happy.

Madeleine

Comment

I guess when you look back the theme tune does change slightly for each regeneration. I think it was only very subtle from 9 to 10 so thats why most people dont think it changed.

I have to say i think the new one came of age with the Sontaran 2 parter. It now seems to fit the series.

Comment

I didn't like it at all on VotD but I admit it has grown on me rather during Season 4. I still prefer the previous version but I don't mind the new one now...
                            sigpic

Comment

Bah... Heard it in PiC. It sounds different from the Xmas special version. I suppose it's not horrid, and I'll have to live with it.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                              X