Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I composed a lengthy reply based on Dave9946's post, but decided not to post it. The problem with someone somewhere getting it right is it ruins everyone's fun. Not to mention the firestorm that will result from speculating on the details.

Don't read unless you've seen the end of season 3, and in fact you still may not want to read it:

Spoiler:
    In short, given the developing theme in which Gallifrey is gone and a second Time Lord is found and promptly dies much to the Doctor's grief, it is extremely likely that a female Time Lord will show up next and that it will be the Rani or someone similar. To say any more than that will ignite said firestorm.
    Last edited by Wordsmit2; 26 August 2007, 03:27 PM.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

I think many a rouge Time Lord would have done just what the Master did and escape by making himself human.

Then again I'll bet anything that the Master aint even dead!. Anyone remember the early 70's stories will know why I think this?.

It seems strange to have a secret mid-series episode. When anything major would likely be kept till the end of the series.

Comment

Gah. The Computert Ate My Reply.

For an actual show finale that would be pretty cool but as a season finale, it would make the next season nowhere near as good.
        Sound of Drums/ LatTL spoilers.
        Spoiler:
        I think it can also work as an arc for series 5/ the rest of the show, in the same way his Gallifrey angst is an arc now. The Doctor seems to be romanticising Gallifrey - the first hint of disapproval was mentioned when he spoke of his childhood and the Master's in Sound of Drums - it seems he finds it best to ignore the fact that while Gallifrey was still around, he did his best never to set foot there..... Bringing back Gallifrey migth make him have to face this.
        Also, bringing it back will probably involve some major tinkering with time by the Doctor. What if the Time Lords disapprove? What if he finds himself an outcast - again - a real outcast, like the First Doctor, more than the later "freelancer". What if Gallifrey is there but he can't return there, ever again, cos his people won't let him?
        Also, with all his guilt and pain over Gallifrey, it's not something that would disappear overnight. It seems like the damage is done, at leasdt some of it anyway. The memory of destroying Gallifrey would always be there, even if Gallifrey exists again.

So it can be real cool

But I agree, it's alsop the ultimate happy ending for the entire programme.
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          Don't forget RTD is very good at misdirection. Don't bother thinking too hard.
          I met Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto from Torchwood) yesterday and he told me that the BBC often leak stuff just to hype it up a bit...

Comment

The return of Gallifrey could also work if it was brought back by the intervention of some other species, perhaps by the Guardians or something, and The Doctor is treated as a criminal by the rest of the Gallifreyans and possibly forced to stand trial. Would be interesting to to see The Doctor forced to face the actions he took during the time war and how they affected not just Gallifrey but how the absence of the Time Lords affected other worlds. After all, he has said several times that "everyone lost" at the end of the Time War.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy View Post
              The return of Gallifrey could also work if it was brought back by the intervention of some other species, perhaps by the Guardians or something, and The Doctor is treated as a criminal by the rest of the Gallifreyans and possibly forced to stand trial. Would be interesting to to see The Doctor forced to face the actions he took during the time war and how they affected not just Gallifrey but how the absence of the Time Lords affected other worlds. After all, he has said several times that "everyone lost" at the end of the Time War.
              The problem with putting the Doctor on trial is basically... well, the War Games. And Trial of a Time Lord. Especially on genocide.

....sorry, watched Trial of a Time Lord for the first time a couple of months ago, and I couldn't stop laughing when they put him on trial for a genocide he hasn't committed yet.....
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Hmmm there may well be a few things some have forgotton about the Timelords over the years.

Anyways before that I dont recall there being mention in detail about the Doctore involvment in the Time War or just what he had done during it or to help the Time Lords.

And as for the Doctor being made an outcast if he went back and braking the rule of non interference in events in time and other planets\life forms etc.

Well look at how often the Time Lords had or had the Doctor go an interfere at there command?. Several times over the years of the classic series Mainly during the Pertwee years.

Plus they wanted the Doctor to save them during The Three Doctors. And prevent the Daleks having ever existed during Genesis of the Daleks. The doctor could not do this due to him knowing that other planets would war between themselfs rather than right against the Daleks had they never existed.

Now there is an interesting connection if ever the producers notice enough to work on it. Prehaps the Time Lords from the Time War tried to save themselfs by going back in time to try and prevent the Daleks having ever existed and therefor preventing the time War in the first place?.

Also during the Trial Of A Time Lord it was mentioned that Gallifrey pretty much destroyed earth by moving it half way across the cosmoss\galaxy or universe wharever it was because they had gaines access to the Matrix or something. A far far greater crime than the Doctor could ever do by going back and saving Gallifrey.

Comment

Now there is an interesting connection if ever the producers notice enough to work on it. Prehaps the Time Lords from the Time War tried to save themselfs by going back in time to try and prevent the Daleks having ever existed and therefor preventing the time War in the first place?.
                  Actually, that's Genesis of the Daleks. If I'm not mistaken RTD said he sees this as the first shot in the Time War
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Ahh so therefor as the 4th doctor he failed to prevent thr Time War happening hundreds of years in the Doctors life down the road.

I wander if the proposed possable Doctor Who film will ever be about the Time War. And then it could go ahead to the final end of Doctor Who at the end of the film???. Then again a possable Doctor Who film has been in development for several years. This was something mentioned before anything about the return of the series was confirmed back in 2003.

But I'd still say either the Time Lords and or Gallifrey will be back during the next series.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave9946 View Post
                      I think many a rouge Time Lord would have done just what the Master did
                      Goodness knows there were a *lot* of rogues, renegades, and other ex-patriots: The Meddling Monk, possibly Padmasambhava, the War Chief, The Master, K’anpo Rinpoche, Drax, Romana, Professor Chronotis, Azmael, The Rani.

Did I miss any?
                      Last edited by Wordsmit2; 09 September 2007, 04:15 AM. Reason: missed one
                      Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

A thought occurs, RTD said that it was something mentioned several times by the Master, could it be
                        Spoiler:
                        The Sound of Drums? I mean it never was fully explained was it? Just put down to the Master's complete insanity.

Comment

Working...
                        X