This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
    is that what happens down the road as the next 12 episodes play out????
    Depends on your perspective.
    Spoiler:
    Some people see Martha as having a straight drippy unrequited love / crush thing for the Doctor. It's not how I see it though.

I'm sure that's how it started, but as time went by it changed, and I felt that Martha loved the Doctor rather than being in love with him.

She never had illusions and always saw the position she was in for what it was. So I didn't see her as moonstruck, lovestruck little puppydog. She was sweet and friendly to the 'love interest' that turns up after the series midpoint, and she was never posessive; she didn't act worse or do anything differently because of her 'feelings'. She just found it quite overwhelming how wonderful the doctor is (fair 'nuff, sez I) and I think that by the end she was worried about the effect it might start to have on her.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
      Depends on your perspective.
      Spoiler:
      Some people see Martha as having a straight drippy unrequited love / crush thing for the Doctor. It's not how I see it though.

I'm sure that's how it started, but as time went by it changed, and I felt that Martha loved the Doctor rather than being in love with him.

She never had illusions and always saw the position she was in for what it was. So I didn't see her as moonstruck, lovestruck little puppydog. She was sweet and friendly to the 'love interest' that turns up after the series midpoint, and she was never posessive; she didn't act worse or do anything differently because of her 'feelings'. She just found it quite overwhelming how wonderful the doctor is (fair 'nuff, sez I) and I think that by the end she was worried about the effect it might start to have on her.

Ahhh Ok... that quells some fear I was beginning to have I have been really happy so far and just after two episodes

and was really looking forward to the rest but was getting a bit trepidatious, now I feel a bit better. That sounds more balanced and more along the lines of some level-headed thinking that I can see in this character
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I have to agree with Madeleine.... (and sorry for the spoiers Tame!)
        Spoiler:
        Martha showed on various episodes that she knows the Doctor doesn't love her and that she has no intention of being, well, a ***** and stand in the way between him and someone he might love - the bits with Joan, for example. I agree that other than the maturity of this and other actions, she did seem to lvoe him rather than just being in love with him...
        ...However. This also gets old after a while. My best example could be Stargate with the Jack/Sam ship - yes, it was there and it was obvious they both love each other but can't do anything about it or towards it - which, at the end, turned me from indifference towards that ship to being compeltely annoyed with it. I don't like those long, sad looks at your Unachievable Person, and that's what it was betwen Jack adn Sam - and that happened a lot with Martha, too.
        I do have hope for series 4 tho, when she comes back - because, after a year (or more, once she comes back) of being on her own, and after deciding after that year that she's better of without him, we might indeed see more of Martha the way she was in Smith & Jones, Shakespeare Code and Last of the Time Lords, and less of Martha from the middle of the show. I did enjoy her throughout the series - I jsut liked her more in these episodes - when she was getting much more attention as a person rather than the companion who's in love with the Doctor.

Heaven knows I did like The Dr and Rose and I want him to miss her terribly for a bit...but I also want him to move on since this is a TV show and they are going to throw him together with a new person and I would hate to watch week after week The Dr pining away for the woman he lost...while there is a vibrant young woman right there....in real life..
        True. However, also in real life... there are so many best friends who know each other for years and don't fal in love. So many people who can spend a lifetime with someone but never feel that spark.... the fact that they're together 24/7 doesn't automatically mean he should fall in love with her, methinks.
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
        X