What is the Doctor's Real Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ecchi View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure it is Theta Sigma he calls him, and Then "Thete", not "Pete" later on.
    Part of the problem is that the actor playing Drax was doing that 'orrible accent, and not doing it very well. A couple of the references sound more like "Feet" than "Pete", but one of them very clearly sounds like "Pete", and in the very first one, when he opens the door in the wall and first sees the Doctor, he very clearly exclaims, "Peter Sigma!".

I have the "Armageddon Factor" episode on TiVo, as Maryland Public Television has been re-running the Tom Baker series lately. My two sons and I have been going over every scene with the Doctor and Drax very thoroughly, and we all have come to the same conclusion - that he is actually saying "Peter" and "Pete".

Coincidentally, I subsequently searched on "Peter Sigma" and immediately found it in the "Internet Movie Data Base", for whatever it's worth:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0562892/trivia

Although, truthfully, the IMDB could be wrong. I'd like for Tom Baker to weigh in on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dragongild View Post
      Coincidentally, I subsequently searched on "Peter Sigma"
      Yes, but if you do a Google search for +"Theta Sigma" +"Dr Who" you get over a thousand entries, if you search for +"Peter sigma" +"Dr Who" you get only two results, one is on a message board where most posts say it is "Theta Sigma", and the other one is this thread!
      Last edited by ecchi; 05 January 2008, 05:37 PM. Reason: Lost the [/ when editing the quote
      My jokes site - http://www.homegrownlaughter.com - for great jokes

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Theta Sigma was what he was called, it probably wasn't his name though.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
          Theta Sigma was what he was called, it probably wasn't his name though.
          Yep, its THETA SIGMA not PETER SIGMA or PETE. Although I have "The Key To Time" series on DVD, I still havent seen "The Armageddon Factor" yet

It was his Time Lord School nickname (I think it was Prydon Academy) and "Theta Sigma" are Greek Numerical Letters (or something. I might have gotten it wrong)

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

The University Nickname is definitely Theta Sigma. The Doctor confirms this in The Happiness Patrol.
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I still think they should stay clear of his name in the series. "Doctor" is all we need to know him as (though I'd quite like them to use, when dealing with The Master for instance, Theta Sigma, every so often). Revealing his real name would remove part of the enigma surrounding him, if you ask me.
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I agree with you. Maybe they could end the Series with a movie where The Doctor dies (on his 13th incarnation) and he finally reveals his name?

It would be good. Maybe it will be a final confrontation between The Doctor, The Master, The Daleks and The "True, Silver, Mondas" not "False, Steel, Alternate Universe Earth" Cybermen?
                Spoiler:
                The Doctor's wife Patience will return and reveal his name?

Anyways I truely believe that the Past Doctor Adventures book called "The Infinity Doctors" is about The Doctor/The Other before he left Gallifrey.

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

His name is of course... John Smith

the Tardis always must have a Smith...

Comment

John Smith!

Thats his name!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
                      Over on Outpost Gallifrey there was a theory going 'round that the Doctor's name had been removed as a punishment... sort of wiped from history forwards and backwards.
                      This would actually make sense because as it has been shown in the episode where the doctor and martha meet shakespeare, a name has power. So maybe the removal of The Doctor's true name the past, present and future is a greater punishment then we would think.

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
                        The University Nickname is definitely Theta Sigma. The Doctor confirms this in The Happiness Patrol.
                        I do know that Sigma means "Wisdom" in Greek
                        and I believe Theta stands for like "Spirit" I'm not to sure.

So if I am right, the Doctor was called "Wise Spirit" in school.

Just a thought of course.

Comment

I reckon he might have hidden it himself so it couldn't be used against him somehow. We know that his real name is hidden somewhere in the medusa cascade, and that there is a rift there which he sealed single handed. Maybe he sealed his name inside the rift or something.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ancient Egyptians believed in the power of a name and there is a myth involving Ra and his secret name as the source of his power...

...Names in Ancient Egypt were very mystic and powerful. It was thought that if you inscribed your enemies' name on something, then broke it, that enemy would either be afflicted, or possibly die. If you knew a name you had power. In the same respect, using a name could be beneficial.

I believe the Doctor chose to hide his true name...

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                              I reckon he might have hidden it himself so it couldn't be used against him somehow. We know that his real name is hidden somewhere in the medusa cascade, and that there is a rift there which he sealed single handed. Maybe he sealed his name inside the rift or something.
                              Maybe, just maybe, bare with me now, maybe he sealed the rift by using the power of his name hence some how sealing it within the medusa cascade rift.

Comment

Working...
                              X