What is the Doctor's Real Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    So he hasn't even met the Tom Baker version yet you mean?
    That's the way I'd interpret it.

Comment

In the time it would take to pronounce one letter of his true name a trillion cosmoses would flare into existence and sink into night... no wait.. that's Nibbler from Futurama.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Clandestine View Post
        In the time it would take to pronounce one letter of his true name a trillion cosmoses would flare into existence and sink into night... no wait.. that's Nibbler from Futurama.
        Oh I don't know...... maybe his name is like the Carrionites and mentioning it out loud carries power.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

in one of the episodes amy pond tries to kiss pond and we know that river song is the doctors future wife well what if i told u a river always starts as a pond RIVER song,amy POND river song is amy pond from the future and river song is married to the doctor well if river is married to the doctor the girl always takes the mans name so we know now that the doctor last name is song the doctors first name we may never know his name is .......... song

Comment

Originally posted by the doctors name View Post
            in one of the episodes amy pond tries to kiss pond and we know that river song is the doctors future wife well what if i told u a river always starts as a pond RIVER song,amy POND river song is amy pond from the future and river song is married to the doctor well if river is married to the doctor the girl always takes the mans name so we know now that the doctor last name is song the doctors first name we may never know his name is .......... song
            Okay, I know this is your first post here, and I want to go easy on you, but you have kind of started out with the proper occurence of a marriage, then you kind of "fudged" it up.

In most marriages, the wife takes the husbands last name. And in some marriages, the wife takes the last name of her husband, and also keeps her last name, making a combination of the two. The husband never takes a wifes last name. Well, I've never known that to happen so I don't know how accurate that is.

Anyway, to be honest, what we know of the Doctor's real name, is that he only tells it to people that he trusts so much, and in a certain situation, that to utter it would be to shake the very foundation of the Whoniverse.

If the show is still running past it's 50th anniversary though, and if we find that the Doctor's real name, after all the build-up from 1963 onwards, has been either simply Jim or God in the very last episode, whenever that may be, then I am going to be royally p*ssed off!
            Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Another thing I only just realised / noticed. When Winston Churchill phones the Doctor instead he gets River Song....... She explains "the TARDIS is clever and must of rerouted the call to her" but hang on he was phoning the Doctor....... So why did the call go to her unless "she's the Doctor" but no they couldn't be that obvious could they? Anyway that scene has never been explained.

Comment

I am watching the Doctor Who Marathon on the Space Channel. Happy Spacemas! And I was thinking what if the Doctor's Name is actually John Smith. Like The Doctor says his name is some very difficult confusing name but in actuality it is. That would be very Doctorish.

Comment

The Doctor's true name will remain a mystery, just like Spock's other name. "You couldn't pronounce it."
                  sigpic
                  Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Maybe the question marks on the clothing the 4th-7th Doctors wore was just a brandname trademark for that clothing company.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
                      Over on Outpost Gallifrey there was a theory going 'round that the Doctor's name had been removed as a punishment... sort of wiped from history forwards and backwards. But Steven Moffat responded to that one:..

Sorry for super thread necro but I have to ask but punishment for what?

And why is the name of The Master hidden too?

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post

As for the Doctor's name...I keep coming back to that line in Girl in the Fireplace:

REINETTE: Doctor... Doctor who? It's more than just a secret, isn't it?

When asked about this line, the episode's writer Stephen Moffat said that he believes the Doctor's real name is associated with some deep, dark secret from his past, which is why he doesn't tell it to even his closest Companions.

What if... what if the Doctor is the Master? We know that during a Time Lord's regenatation they can develop amnesia, like what happened in the Doctor Who telemovie in 1996. What if the Master went through a regeneration and developed permenant amnesia and, as a result, a more benevolant personality? What if he learned of the things that he'd done and, with his new outlook on life, was horrified and mortified by it? What if he resolved to try and make right as much as he could within to Universe to atone for all the things that he'd done, and began by getting rid of his name and original title and instead adopting a title that would convey his newfound purpose of healing both the universe and his own sins? And what if the reason that he mostly avoids Gallifrey is because he doesn't want to chance anyone figuring out his true identity and having him punished?
                        Again sorry for thread necro

I LOVE this theory..... But it does come a little undone in the end in that how do you explain the other guy bing "The Master" or is he actually fighting himself in another body? alternate regeneration?

Comment

Re Theta Sigma...

This was the Doctor's nickname while at the Time Lord Academy... There's no reason to believe this has any association with/is an abbreviation of his actual name.

Lady Peinforte knew something... though possibly not the Doctor's name... Maybe we'll revisit the Nemesis statue one day and learn the Doctor's name...

The theories tying him with Rassilon and Omega are far from canon... though certainly interesting. Personally though, despite the "slip" in Remembrance of the Daleks ("We?" "They..."), I think it's pretty hard to retro-con this theory, given the lack of any reference to the Doctor being "related" (or involved with) Rassilon and Omega in the previous stories featuring reference to those 2 Gallifreyan heroes...

The idea that Moffat is going to, this new coming season/anniversary special, reveal the Doctor's name, fills me with dread...
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                            Re Theta Sigma...

This was the Doctor's nickname while at the Time Lord Academy... There's no reason to believe this has any association with/is an abbreviation of his actual name.

Lady Peinforte knew something... though possibly not the Doctor's name... Maybe we'll revisit the Nemesis statue one day and learn the Doctor's name...

What statue?

Comment

The Nemesis statue from the 7th Doctor story 'Silver Nemesis'.

sigpic

Comment

Lady Peinforte warns the Doctor that she will reveal his secrets, tell (the Cybermen) of the old times, the times of chaos, (and the Doctor's involvement in said times), if the Doctor didn't give her the statue... But the Cybermen said they didn't care about the Time Lord secrets... (despite their intrigue in The Five Doctors)

The story ended with Ace asking the Doctor... "Who are you?", to which the Doctor replied with a "Shh...".

Ohh... so that's his name! Shh!
                                back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                                "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                                "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                                and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                                X