Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I recall, there's an audio series revolving around a female Doctor. I'd have to track down the info again to be sure.

Personally? I think it sounds too gimmicky... at least for the show. I might check out the audio adventures- if they actually exist (and if I can find them). But probably not canon. That comment really does make you think, though, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      As I recall, there's an audio series revolving around a female Doctor. I'd have to track down the info again to be sure.

Personally? I think it sounds too gimmicky... at least for the show. I might check out the audio adventures- if they actually exist (and if I can find them). But probably not canon. That comment really does make you think, though, doesn't it?
      Interesting. If you find anything about it, please let me know.

I'm with you. Part of me would be thrilled, and the other part of me can't picture a female Doctor. I wonder if part of the success of Doctor Who is due to the character's gender. I don't see myself as drawn to the show if the actress playing Rose were playing the Doctor.
      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Well... dunno if that'd be the best example to use anyway. But yeah, it's hard to imagine.

Anyway, hunted down the place where I asked about the audios and this is the link I was given. And while I was a bit off in there being a whole series, I did find at least one female Doctor adventure. And to add to the surreality of it, David Tennant does the voice of a non-Doctor Time Lord.

I also found another thread about having a female Doctor. Bad, BAD Davies!

Comment

I do know that during the last few years of the show's initial run, there was a bit of discussion going on whether or not the doctor should gender swap. lol

But in the end it was kinda vetoed. But in Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death, a comic relief thing, the Doctor did turn into a woman. VERY funny episode if your interested.

lol
          If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago...

Spoiler:
          "I miss Thor..."

Baal: He's tiny - have him squeeze through the bars
          Teal'c: Assist us or I will squeeze you through these bars...

Oberoth: Lower your weapons.
          Lt. Col. Sheppard: [not moving] How much lower would you like ‘em?

[Zelenka gives, in Czech, a poetic description of the rising of Atlantis]
          Lt. Ford: You didn’t say anything that would require security clearance, did you?
          Dr. Zelenka: Security clearance?

Comment

In short... I'd rather die.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Would a female Dr. Who get paid only 75% of what a male Dr. Who would get paid??? I don't know....this is an okay idea, I guess. Maybe it would go over better on the Lifetime Network.

Comment

Wow I love the ammount of Sexists here, truely love it.

I think it would be cool if the Doctor had two heads, that would be neat. Does he even have to look like a human at all? I think those cat things are cool.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

I also found another thread about having a female Doctor. Bad, BAD Davies!
                  Oops. Sorry about that.

And thanks Shadow for finding the info for me! But then we know that you are the forum goddess.

Right now, I can't imagine a female Doctor, but if the right person were cast, it could work, but the writers would have to stay away from shipping.

Comment

Wow, love the massive generalization, Oreo. Wait, no I don't.

Not wanting to see the Doctor regenerate as a female doesn't make ANYONE sexist, it just means people prefer the Doctor as a male. Or at least as a not-woman. Now, if anyone started attacking the whole female gender IN ADDITION to stating that they don't want the Doctor to be a woman, you might have a case, but let's not make ridiculous generalizations, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo

I think it would be cool if the Doctor had two heads, that would be neat. Does he even have to look like a human at all? I think those cat things are cool.
                      The Doctor can't be a woman because we all know a woman couldn't be that smart. (Yes, that was a bad joke. Also, it was an example of actual sexism).

There's no real canon reason why there can't be a female Doctor (at least not to my limited Doctor Who knowledge). However, something about it would just seem wrong. However, there could always hopefully be a few surviving female Time Lords (or some survivors in general). I think the formula might be thrown off a bit if the Doctor went female, though it's a vague idea in my head I can't articulate at the moment.

Worse though, I think, would be if the Doctor became something that didn't look human. The audience would lose the ability to relate with the character. I perceive the Doctor, at least in some ways, as embodying human curiosity and potential. That feeling would be lost to me if he didn't appear human anymore.
                      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

To be fair to Oreo, it's probable that the 'sexist' comment was directed at a pretty grim post above his that I had to delete.

At least, I hope so - cos I don't think it's sexist to have a m/f preference. I prefer watching women's judo to men's, prefer female folk singers to male folk singers, and while I love the Doctor in almost all his forms, I'd bridle at the idea of a female playing the Doctor. JMO.

But not really JMO, cos part of the reason I'm against the idea is that I know that it'd be strongly resisted by so many people that even those such as me whose only connection with DW fandom is here at GW and whatever The Times choses to print, would feel the reverberations of the battles and the echoing outrage. I'd rather everyone could just be happy about DW.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          To be fair to Oreo, it's probable that the 'sexist' comment was directed at a pretty grim post above his that I had to delete.

At least, I hope so - cos I don't think it's sexist to have a m/f preference. I prefer watching women's judo to men's, prefer female folk singers to male folk singers, and while I love the Doctor in almost all his forms, I'd bridle at the idea of a female playing the Doctor. JMO.

But not really JMO, cos part of the reason I'm against the idea is that I know that it'd be strongly resisted by so many people that even those such as me whose only connection with DW fandom is here at GW and whatever The Times choses to print, would feel the reverberations of the battles and the echoing outrage. I'd rather everyone could just be happy about DW.
                          Well, from the use of the phrase "amount of sexists," it seemed far more likely that he or she considered many if not most of the comments made until that time to be sexist. But this is neither here nor there.
                          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo

Sexism has nothing to do with it!

It would just be weird and terrible.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I have to say, a female Doctor would be one of the worst things they could do for the show. It wouldnt be about giving the show a new twist, it'd be a gimmik. Introduce a female Time Lord, or Time Lady (Why not have Romana? At least she'd have a connection with the Doctor) by all means, but IMO they should keep the Doctor male.
                              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                                Worse though, I think, would be if the Doctor became something that didn't look human. The audience would lose the ability to relate with the character. I perceive the Doctor, at least in some ways, as embodying human curiosity and potential. That feeling would be lost to me if he didn't appear human anymore.
                                Interesting. I see your point. I'm not sure I could take a Doctor with five heads or one who looked like a Dalek. Certain variations fit the show's theme more than others.

Comment

Working...
                                X