No announcement yet.

You Know You're a Whovian When...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the water pistol thing I'm pretty sure people/kids have been shot by the police because they looked like they were holding real guns. Obviously there were extenuating circumstances as well, but I know that's why most water pistols are obviously fake looking or at least have the orange tip on the end.

I swore I saw a sign that said Dalek but when I checked again it was something that wasn't even close.

Comment

you pass a 'Barnes & Noble' and wonder if Donna's family is somehow involved...

It's Complicated Butterflies and Hurricanes

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        On the water pistol thing I'm pretty sure people/kids have been shot by the police because they looked like they were holding real guns.
        On that note:

A while back, soon after the London tube (subway) bombing, a small tank was spotted heading across Westminster Bridge. As this meant it was heading towards The Houses Of Parliament the police assumed it was a terrorist attack on the government. They cleared the area and called in a fully armed anti-terrorist unit.

However:

Nearly opposite The Houses Of Parliament is a building with several public halls, and that day the halls had been hired for a comic book and Sci-Fi convention. The "small tank" was to publicise that event, and it was not a "small tank" at all.

Armed police from the anti terrorist unit had surrounded The Houses Of Parliament to protect the British government from a Dalek !!!!!!!
        My jokes site - http://www.homegrownlaughter.com - for great jokes

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by ecchi View Post
          On that note:

A while back, soon after the London tube (subway) bombing, a small tank was spotted heading across Westminster Bridge. As this meant it was heading towards The Houses Of Parliament the police assumed it was a terrorist attack on the government. They cleared the area and called in a fully armed anti-terrorist unit.

However:

Nearly opposite The Houses Of Parliament is a building with several public halls, and that day the halls had been hired for a comic book and Sci-Fi convention. The "small tank" was to publicise that event, and it was not a "small tank" at all.

Armed police from the anti terrorist unit had surrounded The Houses Of Parliament to protect the British government from a Dalek !!!!!!!
          LOL!!!

But, good God in Govan, are there really some people who're that ignorant of popular culture?
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            But, good God in Govan, are there really some people who're that ignorant of popular culture?
            Yeah they are called "the police force"!

Oh yeah and a similar group of people ignorant of "Modern British Popular Culture" is called "The British Government"!!!!

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

On that note:

However:

That is priceless........ Can anyone find me a news item on this I have to share this with people
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                That is priceless........ Can anyone find me a news item on this I have to share this with people
                I read it in one of the London free papers (probably "The Metro" or the unimaginatively titled "London Paper", but there is a small possibility it was "The London Lite"). They all have websites, but this was a while back and I am not sure how long they archive their stories (or even if the same stories appear online as appear in the print edition).

Comment

they should considering the internet version is supposed to be for ppl who don't have access to the print version.... and the archieves should go back atleast two years...
                  I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                  sigpic

Comment

On that note:

However:

in hindsite that seems way over the top, but in a world where people place bombs on themselves, animals, disabled people, and on/in cars, the government should take everything seriously. it's best to be overreactive than to worry what the public will think and not take any care at all

*steps off high horse*

YKYAWW you sqeal you find a doctor who book in your library. it's called "a teaspoon and an open mind" and it's all about the science of the series, about time travel, aliens etc. however, the authoer keeps refering to it as the Tardis, not TARDIS. shouldn't it be all in caps?
                    "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                    "what?"
                    *throat punch*
                    My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                    LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Originally posted by rosey_angel View Post
                      in hindsite that seems way over the top, but in a world where people place bombs on themselves, animals, disabled people, and on/in cars, the government should take everything seriously. it's best to be overreactive than to worry what the public will think and not take any care at all

*steps off high horse*

YKYAWW you sqeal you find a doctor who book in your library. it's called "a teaspoon and an open mind" and it's all about the science of the series, about time travel, aliens etc. however, the authoer keeps refering to it as the Tardis, not TARDIS. shouldn't it be all in caps?
                      yes!!! after all TARDIS is an acronym...
                      sigpic

Comment

in about time travel, aliens etc. however, the authoer keeps refering to it as the Tardis, not TARDIS. shouldn't it be all in caps?
                        Indeed it should since that is the acronym
                        no means no, and so does pepper spray
                        Sig by The Carpenter
                        sigpic

Comment

I could not find the story about the Dalek causing panic in London but I did find an Essay on I think economics or politics using the Daleks as an example.

http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/1642/1/lenmanj5.pdf
                          Last edited by Coco Pops; 18 August 2008, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                            Indeed it should since that is the acronym
                            an initialism actually, coz the initials of the words make their own word that can be pronounced. i just learnt this at uni. terms like FBI and CIA are acronyms coz you can't pronounce them as words, you just say the letters. but TARDIS and ANZAC are spoken as words, not their letters.

i'm gonna write to the author coz of this, it's really a poor mistake

edit: i didn't realise Lilith responded to my question too. i'm not ignoring you hun!
                            "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                            "what?"
                            *throat punch*
                            My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                            LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

an initialism actually, coz the initials of the words make their own word that can be pronounced. i just learnt this at uni. terms like FBI and CIA are acronyms coz you can't pronounce them as words, you just say the letters. but TARDIS and ANZAC are spoken as words, not their letters.

i'm gonna write to the author coz of this, it's really a poor mistake

edit: i didn't realise Lilith responded to my question too. i'm not ignoring you hun!
                              's quite alright dear.... sometimes posts are unintentionally ignored... i've actually grown quite used to it happens to me all the time in the Cantina... doesn't help that i usually lurk there anyways
                              sigpic

Comment

I read it in one of the London free papers (probably "The Metro" or the unimaginatively titled "London Paper", but there is a small possibility it was "The London Lite"). They all have websites, but this was a while back and I am not sure how long they archive their stories (or even if the same stories appear online as appear in the print edition).

This isn't about a scifi convention but the same thing happened here

http://www.cuttingsarchive.org.uk/ne...star020804.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X