Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The No, no a thousand times no Anti Doctor/Rose ship thread!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think of it this way...many new series fans might be interested in the classic series, so why spoil them on the first 26 years?

Comment

I'm not too keen on the Doctor/Rose ship. Whilst watching the 'Confidential-One Year On' at the weekend I was surprised to see Julie Gardner (executive producer) state how much she believed that there was definately something going on between them, *shakes head* how could she say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
        I think of it this way...many new series fans might be interested in the classic series, so why spoil them on the first 26 years?
        The frightening thing about that is your serious. The whole 26 series, all of them? Hang on what about the eps that no longer exists? If you can never see the episode; are they still spoilers?
        Originally posted by Egeria
        I'm not too keen on the Doctor/Rose ship. Whilst watching the 'Confidential-One Year On' at the weekend I was surprised to see Julie Gardner (executive producer) state how much she believed that there was definately something going on between them, *shakes head* how could she say that?
        Maybe she hasn't seen the show... the classic series. Maybe they need some education, although I am thinking these people (TPTB) all do the same thing, they make these comments out of hand and fans run with them until everyone starts thinking it is happening or reading too much into the episodes.

Spoilers for Dr Who series 28 or 2 and SGA season 2

Spoiler:
        The trailers with the kiss are a classic example. It is the same reaction in some places that the SGA trailer with Sheppard/Teyla and Sheppard/Weir, 'Shippers' can't help themselves they grab it and run with it. Of course slashers never do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
          The frightening thing about that is your serious. The whole 26 series, all of them? Hang on what about the eps that no longer exists? If you can never see the episode; are they still spoilers?
          I have always used spoiler tags for the classic series, except in the Classic Series thread I created, due to the implicit nature of it containing spoilers for the Classic Series.

I thought that was obvious, until someone complained at the lack of spoiler warning there.

The one time I didn't use them, someone made a point of it.

I contacted the mods to implement that person's suggestions for that thread, but they decided against it.

Now that very same person who took that stance is taking the opposite position against my habits.

I find this response more than a little ironic.

Especially since that incident motivated me to further restrict my habits as an accomodation.

Beyond that, I don't know what to say.

Comment

Is this thread supposed to be about the spoiler rules or about saying no to a Rose/Doctor ship?

I think its gonna happen, but I would rather it not, I mean, this is the Doctor we are talking about, Rose/Jack fine, but I find it hard to believe a Doctor/Rose ship going on.
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
              Is this thread supposed to be about the spoiler rules or about saying no to a Rose/Doctor ship?
              When someone is talking to you, it is impolite to not respond.

Both TameFarrar and Drwho'srose commented on my actions and I responded.

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
              I think its gonna happen, but I would rather it not, I mean, this is the Doctor we are talking about, Rose/Jack fine, but I find it hard to believe a Doctor/Rose ship going on.
              Getting back on topic, I agree.

I wouldn't want to see the Doctor with anyone.
              I think I would probably stop watching if that was the case.
              I guess we'll have to tune in to see what does or does not develop.

Comment

I've just added loads of spoiler tags. I wasn't sure if the things I've tagged are real or tongue in cheek though.

We don't ask for spoilers on the classic series. Apart from anything else, with several hundred episodes I think it's virtually certain that everything that can happen does happpen somewhere in the show, and no one will remember which ep was spoiled if they haven't already seen it. But please use spoilers for s28

Madeleine

Comment

I suppose I should throw my weight behind this thread...
                  Rose... if you hadn't had started this thread... I probably would have.

I don't like the idea of a romance between the Doctor and Rose... I don't like the idea of the Doctor and anyone getting together. The Doc's always been a voracious explorer and the thought of him being starry eyed over his companion worries me.
                  I don't mind so much Rose having a bit of a crush on the Doctor but I don't want to see it reciprocated. It doesn't feel right... the Doctor has always been a benevolent, paternalistic character... something of a loner.
                  So what happens when Rose decides she doesn't like the travelling anymore... are we going to have the Doctor nursing a broken heart? Egad, no...
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

What is it with 'shippers and their crazy 'ships eh? One little pucker and their hearts go all a flutter

Now correct me if I'm wrong (most of you will be more clued-up than I ), but Dr Who NEVER gets romantically involved with his companions.

In all the years I watched Dr Who from Tom Baker to Colin Baker, he never got 'off' with a companion. And don't forget, some of them have been male, so imagine trying to get that premise past Mary Whitehouse and her board of censors back in the 1970s and 80s.

Dr Who changes companions quite often, so, what happens when he drops off Rose and picks up a new one? Will he have a romance with her/him? And the next, and so on... Will this lead to Dr Who being accused of, what is that AWFUL expression? Oh aye, 'Shepparding' 'Kirking'.

Heaven help us if someone comes up with a new anti-[insert definition] thread for our Timelord.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm spoiling anything, PM me if I need to edit my post.
                    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                      What is it with 'shippers and their crazy 'ships eh? One little pucker and their hearts go all a flutter

Now correct me if I'm wrong (most of you will be more clued-up than I ), but Dr Who NEVER gets romantically involved with his companions.
                      To be fair, I think it's been more than one little pucker...
                      I've been watching Dr Who for a long time now and I've never seen any romance between the Doctor and any of his companions. But it's obvious in the new series that the writers have been trying to set something up between Rose and the Doctor for some time. I'm not saying I approve... but I think it's a concerted effort... subtle but it's there. The odd jealous moment here and there and of course, loud hints of it in the Christmas Invasion...

Seeing that companions come and go, I definitely don't want the Doctor turning into Casanova or James Bond. Let other characters on other tv shows explore their sexuality... the only thing I want the Doctor to explore is other worlds and times.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                        In the original television series, he only had one romantic interest...in Cameca (The Aztecs, Season 1).

In the 1996 movie, he had a romantic interest in Grace, but she wasn't a companion.

The term "romantic" is so imprecise with multiple meanings.
                        Romantic as in "heroic tradition".
                        Romantic as in "child-like affection".
                        Romantic as in "euphemism for sex".
                        Etc. Etc.

There is only one possible romantic involvement with a companion, and that's with Romana II.

It's a very romantic relationship.
                        Of course, it was platonic and they didn't express affection through physical contact, but they obviously enjoyed each other's company and sought out some rather stirring venues to experience together, such as Venice and Paris...and they did seem to enjoy all the banter and all the adventuring.

Now, I'm pretty sure that's not what you really meant in your question, but I think it's a legimate, though not definitive, point.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                          In the original television series, he only had one romantic interest...in Cameca (The Aztecs, Season 1).

In the 1996 movie, he had a romantic interest in Grace, but she wasn't a companion.
                          Forgot about that...

The term "romantic" is so imprecise with multiple meanings.
                          Romantic as in "heroic tradition".
                          Romantic as in "child-like affection".
                          Romantic as in "euphemism for sex".
                          Etc. Etc.
                          I'm pretty sure that when we're talking about romance on this thread it means... love, courtship, consummation, that sort of thing.
                          However, I too will play your game... and add that romance also refers to a novel... or a story...
                          There is only one possible romantic involvement with a companion, and that's with Romana II.

It's a very romantic relationship.
                          Of course, it was platonic and they didn't express affection through physical contact, but they obviously enjoyed each other's company and sought out some rather stirring venues to experience together, such as Venice and Paris...and they did seem to enjoy all the banter and all the adventuring.

Now, I'm pretty sure that's not what you really meant in your question, but I think it's a legimate, though not definitive, point.
                          I wouldn't necessarily cast it as a romance (although I gather that Tom Baker and Lalla Ward were romantically involved and married at some stage) even if they got on extremely well. I think their closeness in age probably adds to that perception. Otherwise, Third Doctor and Jo could be considered a romance too.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                            I'm pretty sure that when we're talking about romance on this thread it means... love, courtship, consummation, that sort of thing.
                            However, I too will play your game... and add that romance also refers to a novel... or a story...
                            I was being serious.

Children can have romantic feelings.

So can asexual folks.

Not the definition people usually refer to, but certainly adult romance wouldn't be possible without having the feelings children are capable of as a basis.

I think we are so constantly bombarded with sexual images, we forget that little child inside.

Okay, enough new age talk.

Back to the specific topic.
                            I wouldn't necessarily cast it as a romance (although I gather that Tom Baker and Lalla Ward were romantically involved and married at some stage) even if they got on extremely well. I think their closeness in age probably adds to that perception. Otherwise, Third Doctor and Jo could be considered a romance too.
                            There were times when the Third Doctor used a little poetry to get Jo or Sarah Jane to join him on a journey, but those were very paternalistic relationships.

The Fourth Doctor wasn't a paternalistic figure, but he didn't behave that way with Sarah Jane or Leela.

Romana II was his equal. Gallifreyans are very childlike at times and it wasn't romantic in the adult human sense.

If you don't see it that way, I understand.

I just don't think you take just any girl punting.

Comment

I don't think it will happen it seems much like a mentor student relationship
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Seeing that companions come and go, I definitely don't want the Doctor turning into Casanova or James Bond. Let other characters on other tv shows explore their sexuality... the only thing I want the Doctor to explore is other worlds and times.
                                I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I would hate to see that happen to the doctor's character. I've seen a sampling of all the doctors and a hefty amount from 5-7 and I can't imagine any of them working as a Bond-like character. That being said, I admit that I 'ship', as it were, Rose and Who because I think the writers have done an excellent job of easing it on the audience. However, many of the issues raised here are valid and I'm crossing my fingers that the writer's can avoid some of the pitfalls we've mentioned.

On a side note (since previous Docs and their companions) were being discussed, I think, and it might be a stretch, that the Fifth doctor's relationship with Peri could have become romantic and was leaning that way until fate intervened. To a lessar extent, her relationship with number Six was a little romantic (at least slightly firtatious), but it went no where ultimately.

Later all,
                                Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X