Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed the two episodes last night. I was dog tired from work. Couldn’t even manage to stay awake to rewatch Ripple Effect last night which is one of the few S9 Stargate episodes I really liked. Woke up right at 8pm. Saw like a minute worth of the first Dr. Who episode. Went right back to sleep and didn’t wake up again until the end of the Atlantis episode....

I’ll be watching tomorrow night though when they repeat it. I’ve just got to see what the fuss is all about when it comes to Dr. Who.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

I remember watching Dr Who as a kid on PBS with my dad so I have been really looking forward to seeing Dr. Who on SciFi.

I was a little disappointed in the first episode (Rose) Friday night but I did enjoy The End Of The World more. I'm glad we are finally getting to see Dr. Who on TV in the US again. I hope the ratings are good so SciFi will continue to show Dr. Who.
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by lastro
        Doctor Who has always been a little offbeat and corny, that's apart of its charm. When I first saw Rose last year I was put off by the amount of comedy in the episode but the things calmed downed quickly in future episodes. The second half of the series contains some very unique and inspired stories. I would try to stick around to Episode 6, the only one set in the US, where things take a darker turn.
        The Empty Child is another good one, scared the crap outa me
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
          The Empty Child is another good one, scared the crap outa me
          Oh yes - the Episode 9/10 - the Empty Child/The Doctor Dances two-parter is atmospheric, creepy, slightly disturbing and easily the best of the series! Plus we meet a new member of the Tardis crew.

Comment

Originally posted by lastro
            Plus we meet a new member of the Tardis crew.
            And if you thought it was corny before ...
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by LadyShip
              Is that the series with David Tennant as Dr.Who?
              Yes, but David Tennant is a new Doctor in the second series, which is going to be aired in UK around Easter. Last year (the series which is now aired in US) it was Christopher Eccleston.

Comment

I tried watching the show, and I mean I really tried but I couldn't get through 10 minutes of it before changing the channel. ( maybe even less than 10)

I guess it's just not my cup of tea with too much corn and cheese
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

It is so exciting I can't wait to see the ratings
                  Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

Yes because Stargate never has that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      I tried watching the show, and I mean I really tried but I couldn't get through 10 minutes of it before changing the channel. ( maybe even less than 10)

Well, if you want more serious stuff, might want to check back on
                      03 The unquiet dead
                      06 Dalek
                      08 Fathers day
                      09 The empty child
                      10 the doctor dances
                      12 bad wolf
                      13 the parting of the ways.

Comment

It was better than I thought it would be. It had some of the feel I remember. I was rather surprised by the look of the inside of the TARDIS. It's been a looong time since I've seen Dr. Who. I liked the character of Rose. I'm going to give it another try.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the premiere. As mentioned by others who've already seen the entire series (Brit and US) it takes a couple of episodes to get into but the episodes improve.

We get a fair amount of Rose and Doctor character development throughtout the series.
                          * Why did Rose decide to join the Doctor when he mentioned time travel?
                          * Why is the Doctor always easily irritable and melancholy?

Comment

When isn't the Doctor irritable and melancholy?
                            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                              When isn't the Doctor irritable and melancholy?
                              When he's wearing a 14 foot scarf?

Actually, this Doctor has a bit of bitterness to him the others lacked. Oh you had your erascibility, and lots of egomania going on, even some petulance, but past Doctors all had a lot of social graces this one ignores. For good reason, mind.

As for the mad grinning someone mentioned, that was lovingly (or not-so lovingly) referred to in fandom as the Doctor's gurning. He does it a lot and it is OTT, but now that I've seen the whole series and know his character arc I can understand why. Suffice to say, it's not all sweetness and light in the Whoniverse these days. It gets prophetically darker as the series progresses and things are revealed.

I'm thinking my fellow Stargate fans will be tuning into "Dalek" when that airs (in about 4 weeks). If for no other reason than Anna-Louise Plowman (Sarah Gardner) plays a crucial role. I got to see it via a live internet stream last year, came in about 2 minutes into the show in the midst of a crucial confrontation. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Christopher Eccleston can act (though it did make me fear for my beloved heroic Doctor... not quite the same man I always thought I knew). But be warned, the corniest moment in voice acting history is on display... from an American actor no less.

Comment

Ok, i'll give the good Doctor another try. I just hope his acting improves...I like everything else about the show...but the Doctors personality/acting is so incredibly forced right now. :/
                                It feels good to be alive.
                                Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Working...
                                X