X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donald Tosh 1935-2019
    Wednesday, 18 December, 2019 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2019/12...1935-2019.html

The writer and Script Editor Donald Tosh has died at the age of 84.

Donald Tosh was the last surviving writer from the era of the First Doctor. He served as Script Editor for 9 months, writing much of the 1966 story The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve, rewriting the original script supplied by John Lucarotti. Later in the year, he rewrote much of the script of Brian Hayes classic story The Celestial Toymaker.

Donald Tosh had a long career in British Television. He was working at Granada Television in Manchester when he was asked to commission a twice-weekly series to compete with Emergency Ward 10, then the most popular show on the air. His solution was a new project called Florizel Street, created by a young man called Tony Warren. This later changed its name to Coronation Street.

In the early 1960's he moved to the BBC, working for Donald Wilson, then Head of Serials at the BBC. Against his better judgement, he was asked to script edit the soap Compact.
    A twice-weekly serial! It was the one thing I loathed and wanted nothing to do with. However, I did it for eighteen months and learned a great deal about scriptwriting. Eventually, I went back to Donald and he told me that there were a few things that he'd be quite happy to move me to. One was another twice-weekly serial, and I said, no way and then he suggested Doctor Who and also told me that John Wiles was going to take over as producer from Verity Lambert and I said, oh, yes, then certainly I'd like to work on Doctor Who, as I knew Johnnie, we got on very well, and I had a huge respect for his work.

He joined the show in the summer of 1965, staying until the spring of 1966 and overseeing the stories The Time Meddler, Galaxy 4, Mission to the Unknown, The Myth Makers, The Daleks' Master Plan, The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve and The Celestial Toymaker. While some scripts needed very little work, most needed major rewrites to get them into a form necessary for TV Production.

His most accomplished work was probably for the story The Massacre of St Bartholomew’s Eve., set in the French court of 1572. The script had been supplied by John Lucarotti, but on reading it Tosh realised it would need to be completely rewritten.
    John sent in a script, and he hadn’t had any time to do his research, which was very unlike him. He had missed the whole point of the story, and everything else that was going in. It’s a period I know quite a bit about, so I had to go away and rewrite it from page one. Bill Hartnell was a good actor, and I wanted to give him something different to do. I gave Bill a doppelganger story where I got him to play the Abbot of Amboise, not just the Doctor. He had great fun doing it, as he wasn’t having to learn all the usual scientific lines, as he had to do as the old man. As a result of that, when he came back to playing the Doctor, his performance had really improved. I thought it worked brilliantly, and it’s one I’m still very proud of. It’s such a shame that the BBC no longer have it.

Tosh left the show in March 1966 after an argument over the scripts for The Celestial Toymaker, which had been rewritten while he was on holiday. He told the DWAS magazine The Celestial Toyroom, that he did regret leaving the series as quickly as he did.
    I really always felt that I should have stayed on as story editor until after The Gunslingers, until after Donald Cotton was settled, but when I spoke to the new producer, Innes Lloyd, it became very clear to me that his idea of what Doctor Who should be and my idea of what Doctor Who should be were poles apart. So there was really no point in me trying to stay on. I could have done, but I suspect it would have lead to untold battles in the production office, which is very bad for any programme.

After Doctor Who worked on shows such as Sherlock Holmes and Ryan International, but left Televsion in the 1970's. He worked for a time for English Heritage and became Head Custodian of Sherborne Old Castle in Dorset.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Classic Doctor Who Launches on BritBox on Boxing Day
      Friday, 20 December, 2019 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2019/12...n-britbox.html

The biggest Doctor Who Classic collection ever streamed in the UK comes to BritBox in the UK from Boxing Day.

From 26th December, 627 pieces of Doctor Who Classic content will be available on the service. This tally is comprised of a mix of episodes, spin-offs, documentaries, telesnaps and more and includes many rarely-seen treasures. Subscribers will be able to access this content via web, mobile, tablet, connected TVs and Chromecast.

BritBox is the digital video subscription service created by the BBC and ITV. The service aims to bring the very best in past, present and future British programming and award-winning content to viewers all in one place for £5.99 per month in HD. It launched in the United States in 2017 and the United Kingdom last November.

129 complete stories, which totals 558 episodes spanning the first eight Doctors from William Hartnell to Paul McGann, form the backbone of the collection.

The collection also includes four complete stories; The Tenth Planet, The Moonbase, The Ice Warriors and The Invasion, which feature a combination of original content and animation and total 22 episodes. The unaired story entitled Shada which was originally presented as six episodes (but has been uploaded as a 130 minute special), brings this total to 28.

A further two complete, solely animated stories - The Power Of The Daleks and The Macra Terror (presented in HD) - add 10 episodes.

Five orphaned episodes - The Crusade (2 parts), Galaxy 4, The Space Pirates and The Celestial Toymaker - bring the total up to 600. Doctor Who: The Movie, An Unearthly Child: The Pilot Episode and An Adventure In Space And Time will also be available on the service, in addition to The Underwater Menace, The Wheel In Space and The Web Of Fear which have been completed via telesnaps. Spin-off drama K-9 And Company, and documentaries More Than 30 Years In The TARDIS and Doctor Who: Doctors Revisited complete the collection.

BritBox will also be curating special Doctor Who Classic collections, including ‘New to Who’, featuring one key episode from each of the first seven Doctors as an introduction to the uninitiated. Further collections will be devoted to the most memorable monsters, with Cybermen, Daleks, The Master and Sontaran each getting the limelight. Regeneration episodes have also been collated.

Boxing Day also marks the start of a longer-term collaboration with the BBC, with a shared vision of making BritBox the ultimate home of Doctor Who Classic content in 2020 and beyond, and ensuring the widest collection of content available is presented in the best possible format and quality.

Reemah Sakaan, Group Director ITV SVOD, commented:
      BritBox becoming the first complete digital home of Doctor Who Classic creates a special opportunity for fans and streamers across the UK. We are looking forward to expanding the collection even further by working with the show creators to lovingly restore lost and previously unavailable episodes in the months to come and offering a truly exclusive experience.

Sally de St Croix, Franchise Director for Doctor Who at BBC Studios added
      It’s thrilling to partner with BritBox and see all this amazing Doctor Who Classic content congregate in one place where subscribers can stream to their hearts’ content – some experiencing the show for the first time whilst others will simply be enjoying it all over again.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Wheel in Space telesnaps... excuse me if I'm wrong - but that appears to be the 1 unique entry in the list of BritBox's new archives that hasn't been officially released before. Queue some upset fans who can't access this service...
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
          Wheel in Space telesnaps... excuse me if I'm wrong - but that appears to be the 1 unique entry in the list of BritBox's new archives that hasn't been officially released before. Queue some upset fans who can't access this service...
          No, you're absolutely right. But telesnaps? If it is anything like the telesnap reconstructions of the two missing episodes of The Underwater Menace that got released on to DVD, it won't be all that good. I feel sure that like other stories that have gotten animated episodes to replace those that are missing, The Wheel in Space will get the same treatment later for release on blu-ray and DVD.

Comment

Yes, we can but hope that the end goal now is to animate all missing episodes for the BluRay releases... (Except of course those dozens of episodes that Phil is allegedly sitting on *wink* *wink*)
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            and lots more!

Comment

Yes, we can but hope that the end goal now is to animate all missing episodes for the BluRay releases... (Except of course those dozens of episodes that Phil is allegedly sitting on *wink* *wink*)
              Got to admit that I forgot about Phil. Yes, he's still trying to track down Episode 3 of The Web of Fear isn't he which he said he'd initially found amongst the rest but then someone else had snuck off with it? Was that the story? It's been so long I can't remember what was actually said...

Comment

Yes - I think it was about 2015/16 he made the claims that he'd located all of Web, but before he could secure them, someone nicked ep3.

He's also made other very suggestive comments about "more to come", but it's 6 years on from the initial release of Web and Enemy - most fans have given up on any more coming from him.

If he's to be believed however, together with 1 episode that Paul V (of the Restoration Team) has confirmed as being held by a private collector - that's 2 episodes being held and not shared... (No word on what the other episode is...)
                and lots more!

Comment

Perhaps the filmstock is too far gone to allow any meaningful restoration?
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Yes - I think it was about 2015/16 he made the claims that he'd located all of Web, but before he could secure them, someone nicked ep3.

He's also made other very suggestive comments about "more to come", but it's 6 years on from the initial release of Web and Enemy - most fans have given up on any more coming from him.

If he's to be believed however, together with 1 episode that Paul V (of the Restoration Team) has confirmed as being held by a private collector - that's 2 episodes being held and not shared... (No word on what the other episode is...)
                    I think after about 3 years after the recovery of The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear that I fell out of the loop regarding news of missing episodes. At this point I've resigned myself to a big official news release of more being found and if it happens, it happens.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                    Perhaps the filmstock is too far gone to allow any meaningful restoration?
                    It's certainly a possibility and not a pleasant one at that. Let's hope that it isn't the case.

Comment

The Thirteenth Doctor Meets the Tenth in Comic Form
                      Tuesday, 24 December, 2019 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2019/12...-tenth-in.html

The Tenth and Thirteenth Doctor join forces in battle against the Weeping Angels and the Autons in the latest comic from Titan, due to be released in the new year.

THE THIRTEENTH DOCTOR YEAR 2 ISSUE #1

Writer: Jody Houser
                      Artist: Roberta Ingranata
                      Colourist: Colourist
                      Eisner-nominated writer Jody Houser and Witchblade artist Roberta Ingranata return for a brand new story in the Thirteenth Doctor comic series.An epic adventure spinning off the new season starting in the new year, starring Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor. With her pals, Ryan, Yaz and Graham, the Doctor encounters a familiar foe, and it'll take a familiar face to stop them!

Comment

Doctor Who In Memoriam 2019
                        31st December 2019
                        Toby Hadoke

Remembering those from the world of Doctor Who whose deaths were reported in 2019.

This is an amateur video - no copyright infringement intended.

Additional thanks to Alex Moore (accidentally missed off the credits: apologies).

Comment

Episode 2 | Next Time Trailer | Spyfall: Part Two | Doctor Who: Series 12
                          1st January 2020

Comment

COMING SOON | Spyfall: Part Two | Doctor Who
                            2nd January 2020

Comment

Last episode had the worst viewing figures of all new Who apparently, a drop of 3 million!

Comment

I would call that a 100% improvement on last season.

I almost felt like I was watching Classic Who (with a $2m budget). The Master reveal was unexpected (though I did see people claiming they thought Lenny was going to be the Master - certainly hadn't caught on to "O"...). I know that the Master dying, but then returning without any particular explanation is fairly common fair -

RANI: I thought that last mad scheme of yours had finished you for good.
                                MASTER: You jest, of course. I'm indestructible. The whole universe knows that.

But, I do feel myself wanting for some kind of link between Missy and this new Master.

Actually I was almost hoping that the "O" was going to be for Omega... or something/someone other than the Master... something else from the original series... but - let's just get on with the madness of another of the Master's bizarre schemes and see where we end up.

Episode 2 had better keep the momentum going...
                                and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                                X