• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt Smith denies rumours that he’s returning to Doctor Who
    Sorry guys…

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...-to-doctor-who

By Huw Fullerton
    Tuesday 19 July 2016 at 2:58PM

Recently there have been all sorts of rumours milling around that former Doctor Matt Smith could be returning to Doctor Who to replace Peter Capaldi, after series showrunner Steven Moffat told the Mirror that the actor was “quite open about how much he misses it, and how much he wishes he hadn’t left.”

Of course this caused feverish speculation among all quarters of fandom as to whether Smith could (or should return), but now the man himself has commented on the idea – and it’s a great big denial.

“No it's not true,” Smith said in a Guardian webchat, before adding that reports of his nostalgia for the series were more accurate.

“I miss everything. I miss Steven, I miss Karen, I miss Arthur, I miss Jenna. I miss time travelling. And I miss my friends in Cardiff.

“BUT onward goes the march. It's Peter's Tardis now. And I love what he does. So I watch as a fan.”

Not to worry though, guys – Smith does have some ideas for who the next Doctor COULD be, and they’re pretty interesting…

Matt Smith can currently be seen in Unreachable at the Royal Court, London

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Pearl Mackie is getting us all excited about the next series of Doctor Who

The new companion tweeted about the “excellent scripts” and “wonderful cast” we could expect

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...-of-doctor-who

By Huw Fullerton
      Tuesday 19 July 2016 at 11:22AM

It may be months until we get another episode of Doctor Who this Christmas and nearly a year before we’ll see a new series, but new companion Pearl Mackie is keen to keep our spirits up based on her latest update.
      Pearl Mackie ? @Pearlie_mack

Amazing read through for Block 2 of @bbcdoctorwho last night! Excellent scripts and wonderful cast! Can't wait.

Tweeting shortly after a read-through of the second part of the series (they’re flying through filming, aren’t they?), Mackie made it sound like this is a series worth waiting for, so we’ll try to be a bit more patient in future.

With that said, if the Doctor fancied picking us in in the Tardis and flying us to Spring 2017, we wouldn’t say no…

Doctor Who will return to BBC1 this Christmas and for a full series in 2017

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Doctor Who series 10: Capaldi and Mackie on location in Spain

25 Jul 2016 - 11:45

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/docto...ation-in-spain

Here's an official new snap of Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie filming Doctor Who series 10 episode 2 on location in Spain...

Doctor Who series 10 is currently filming its second episode on location in Valencia, Spain.

The BBC has released this official image of Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie outside the City of Arts and Science Museum in the Spanish city. Feast your eyes below:

Comment

Torchwood: talks afoot to bring it back to TV
          News
          Rob Leane

25 Jul 2016 - 08:23

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/torch...-it-back-to-tv

John Barrowman has a phone call today to talk about bringing Doctor Who's spin-off Torchwood back to TV....

San Diego Comic-Con 2016 unleashed a lot of new trailers for major comic book movies (see: the front page of this site), meaning that other bits of news threatened to sneak under the radar. One of these stories has come to our attention today: John Barrowman has teased that Torchwood could return to TV.

"I have a phone conversation on Monday to see how we can get it back on television," Zap2It has quoted Barrowman as saying. In a bid to convince everyone he was serious, Barrowman added, "The fans know me well enough, I’m only going to say it if I mean it and believe it."

And how can fans help? "If you really believe in Torchwood, get the comic [there's a Titan series based around the show out now]. Get this series going, it’s like a Kickstarter. If you buy the comic, you’ll show your support… we need Captain Jack back on the screens."

Indeed, Jack Harkness has been off the TV for quite a while. He last appeared in Doctor Who in David Tennant's 2010 swansong The End Of Time, while Torchwood: Miracle Day - the most recent series of the spin-off - ended in 2011. Since then, books and Big Finish audio dramas have kept Captain Jack and the Torchwood brand alive.

So, Barrowman is having a chat today about bringing back Torchwood in its original form, as a TV show. (That said, he doesn't specify with whom the chat will be. The BBC would obviously be more useful than say, his dentist.) With geek telly as huge as it is today, it's surely going to be given some serious thought.

We'll let you know as soon as we hear anything more.

Comment

Are the Weeping Angels coming to Doctor Who spin-off Class?
            Or has someone just been messing about in the props cupboard?

By Paul Jones
            Monday 25 July 2016 at 11:25AM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...spin-off-class

Doctor Who spin-off Class could feature an appearance from the scariest monsters in the Whoniverse – either that, or the actors have just been messing about in the props department...

Fady Elsayed, who plays one of the pupils in the Young Adult series about Coal Hill School, posted a snap of himself with none other than a Weeping Angel...

Now, Class is currently filming in the very BBC studios in Cardiff where Doctor Who shoots so it's reasonable to assume that they share a props department. And if you had the chance, you'd be in there rummaging through the stuff, right?

So it may be as simple as that.

On the other hand... it's a Weeping Angel! Bring back the Weeping Angels!

Comment

Well, as long as RTD doesn't have anything to do with new Torchwood, I'll be happy.

"Miracle Day" was a bit of a dog's breakfast.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Doctor Who Magazine Issue 502
                Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - Reported by Chuck Foster

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/07...716074008.html

The latest edition of Doctor Who Magazine is on general release on Thursday, and this issue looks ahead to what we can expect in the next series of Doctor Who, currently under production.

Speaking on his feelings about working on his last series for the show, Steven Moffat says:
                When I agreed to do one more run, I thought, ‘Sod it, I’m not doing the march to the scaffold. I want it to feel like a brand new show. I want it to feel like Episode 1 of a new series. I want to leave like it’s all just beginning.

Speaking about the casting of Pearl Mackie, casting director Andy Pryor says:
                Pearl has this sort of boldness, and an ability to tap into the humour of the part without making it an overtly comic performance. From the word go, she made the part her own. She found things in the part that none of us had envisaged, and she made Bill a rounded person.

Also inside this issue:
                • CONCEPT ART: DWM comic artist Mike Collins reveals the secrets of his work storyboarding TV Doctor Who!
                • MARVEL FILES: A fascinating insight into the early correspondence between Doctor Who Magazine and BBC Enterprises.
                • THE PESTILENT HEART: Part 2 of a brand-new comic strip adventure, The Pestilent Heart, written by Mark Wright and illustrated by Mike Collins.
                • RELATIVELY SPEAKING: Jacqueline Rayner bows out with her final Relative Dimensions column.
                • TIME TEAM: The Time Team attempt to distinguish dream and reality as they watch the 2010 episode, Amy's Choice.
                • FRONTIER IN SPACE: War breaks out in space, in this issue’s Fact of Fiction, which covers the 1973 Third Doctor adventure Frontier in Space.
                • COMING SOON: DWM previews all the latest Doctor Who CD and book releases.

PLUS! All the latest official news, reviews, competitions, The DWM Crossword... and a MASSIVE poster and FOUR more art cards!

Comment

Ralf Little Denies Doctor Who Rumours
                  Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/07...o-rumours.html

Actor Ralf Little has released a video categorically denying he will be taking part in the next series of Doctor Who.

The actor is best known for playing Antony Royle in BBC Comedy The Royle Family . He also played Jonny Keogh in the first six series of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps. Other roles include the young George Harrison at the Royal Court Theatre, for which he was nominated for an Olivier Award and the title character in Billy Liar.

Little voiced the character of Guy Fawkes in the 2011 Doctor Who online game The Gunpowder Plot

Doctor Who is currently in production in Cardiff with Series 10, the 36th in the series history, expected to be screened in the spring of 2017.

Comment

Doctor Who spin-off Class started with a rejected Who episode
                    Showrunner Patrick Ness reveals the origins of the upcoming BBC3 series

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...ed-who-episode

By Huw Fullerton
                    Friday 29 July 2016 at 4:46PM

We still don’t know much about what we can expect from upcoming Doctor Who spin-off Class yet (Who’s the alien? What is Shadow? And how much is Peter Capaldi in it?), but we are beginning to learn a little bit about its origins thanks to showrunner Patrick Ness.

The novelist, who is making his TV debut with the BBC3 sci-fi series, revealed today at Young Adult Literature Con in London that the whole project started when he was asked to get involved with Doctor Who itself – only to turn the tempting offer down flat.

“At first they asked me to write an episode of Doctor Who,” the A Monster Calls author told the crowd, “and I said it’s a brilliant show, but I’ve just spent so much time doing work for other people, and I really want to do something of my own."

But luckily for Ness (and Whovians worldwide), the Doctor Who producers had a plan B...

“And they said, well we have this idea for setting a spin-off in a school. And it was like, ‘ding’!”

Now, as the series reaches the home stretch, Ness clearly couldn’t be happier that he backed away from the original Doctor Who offer.

“It’s been fantastic,” he said. “I’ve got six weeks of filming to go. The cast are great, and it’s been a fantastic experience. I can’t wait for you to see it.

“Fingers crossed! It’s going well.”

Class will be released this autumn

Comment

Torchwood Comic Released Wednesday
                      Saturday, 30 July, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/07...wednesday.html

Next Wednesday, 3rd August, sees the release of the first edition of the new Torchwood Comic from Titan.

The series is written by Captain Jack himself John Barrowman, along with his sister Carole Barrowman, and illustrated by Antonio Fuso (Drive, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest) and Pasquale Qualano (Batman ’66, She Hulk, Harley Quinn).

The debut issue comes with variant covers to collect from Doctor Who artists including Tommy Lee Edwards (Tenth Doctor, Turf), Elena Casagrande (Tenth Doctor, The X-Files), Blair Shedd (Ninth Doctor), and Rod Reis (Doctor Who, C.O.W.L.).

The new comics series will run in continuity with the new Torchwood audio dramas from Big Finish.

Captain Jack Harkness is back in Cardiff, and there's only one person he can turn to, the last person who expected to see him, Gwen Cooper! On the road, on the run, and under fire, can the pair put aside their differences and rebuild the heart of Torchwood, before its flame is stamped out forever?

Doctor Who News will release a review of the comic next Wednesday morning.
                      Last edited by Alan; 31 July 2016, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Michelle Gomez is up for appearing in Doctor Who spin-off Class
                        Though she’s not sure when we’ll next see Missy in action

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...spin-off-class

By Huw Fullerton
                        Sunday 31 July 2016 at 6:27PM

We’re already pretty sure that Peter Capaldi’s Doctor will pop up from time to time in upcoming Doctor Who spin-off Class, but we can’t help but think it’d be great to see even more characters from the original sci-fi series cross over to its younger sister show.

And happily, one major figure from Doctor Who is totally on board with that idea – because Michelle Gomez (who plays Time Lord villain Missy/The Master in Who) is totally up for making the crossover happen.

“I am an actor for hire, so if I’m free and it seems like the right thing to do at the time I’d grab it with both hands,” Gomez told RadioTimes.com backstage at London film and comic-con.

However, the actress admitted she wasn’t sure if she would be asked – because at the moment, she doesn’t even know when we’ll next see Missy on Doctor Who itself.

“I just don’t know,” she told us. “I mean, I don’t even know if she’s coming back this season to be honest.

“As a freelancer which is what I am, I try to bag the next job, do it as well as I can and then move on to the next one.”

But would she keep coming back, even if writer Steven Moffat (who created her version of the character) and star Peter Capaldi were to move on after this series?

“I don’t really allow myself to think that far ahead,” she said. “Erm, I don’t know, is the short answer.”

Oh well, not to worry – if none of this pans out, she could always keep aiming for her own spin-off. Missy Who, anyone?

Doctor Who will return this Christmas and for a full series in 2017

Comment

Doctor Who series 10: Capaldi won't regenerate, says Moffat
                          News
                          Den Of Geek

1 Aug 2016 - 09:00

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/37701/doctor-who-series-10-capaldi-wont-regenerate-says-moffat

"I have no reason to suppose that I'm writing out a Doctor", says Steven Moffat on his final season of Doctor Who...

Since showrunner Steven Moffat is on the way out, it isn't outrageous to assume that Peter Capaldi will leave Doctor Who at the end of series 10 as well. But, if you've been thinking that, it seems like you were wrong.

"I have no reason to suppose that I’m writing out a Doctor", Moffat is quoted as saying about series 10, in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine. "Peter is loving the role, and long may he do so."

And what about the chances of a victory lap of old companions, a la Russell T Davies' swansong, The End Of Time? Apparently the Moff isn't planning on doing that, either.

"The departure of a showrunner doesn’t mean anything to the audience", Moffat explained. "Most of the audience doesn’t know that I exist, so they’d go blank if I attempted to wave goodbye to them. Oh, the embarrassment that would be. So I’m damned if I’m imposing my departure on the show. I just want to do a good one, before I hand over to Chris [Chibnall]."

Doctor Who Magazine issue 502 is on shelves now.

Doctor Who series 10 start date

According to the Radio Times, work proper on Doctor Who series 10 began this May. Using some ***-packet maths then, a typical nine-month production run should take it all the way to early 2017. Perhaps this series will air in spring instead of the usual autumn slot, then.

Comment

Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition - On Location
                            Thursday, 04 August, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/08...dition-on.html

The latest Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition takes a look at how the world's longest-running science-fiction series has travelled to locations far and wide.

In its early days Doctor Who was recorded on cumbersome cameras tethered to claustrophobic and often inadequate studios. The show rarely escaped these confines in the 1960s, but as technology improved, producers and directors became more adventurous.

Location shooting has helped to create some of the most memorable episodes in the series’ long history. This unique publication tells the story of those episodes and the people who made them happen.

This 100-page Special includes interviews with:
                            • Designer Spencer Chapman (The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
                            • Production manager Margot Hayhoe (Fury From the Deep, Castrovalva etc)
                            • Location manager Nicky James (Night Terrors, The Bells of Saint John etc)
                            • Location manager Iwan Roberts (A Good Man Goes to War, The Day of the Doctor etc)
                            • Producer Marcus Wilson (A Town Called Mercy, The Angels Take Manhattan etc)

Elsewhere in this issue Andrew Pixley revisits the Portmeirion location shoot for The Masque of Mandragora, Matthew Kilburn celebrates Doctor Who’s greatest quarries and Alan Barnes meets some of the fans who are dedicated to location hunting. There’s a map showing alien invasions of the British Isles, guides to the European location shoots for City of Death and Arc of Infinity, a trip behind the scenes of The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People and much more.

Editor Marcus Hearn says:
                            How important is location shooting to Doctor Who? And what do the programme’s locations tells us about the series? These are some of the questions we’ve tried to answer in this new Special Edition. This is the first time Doctor Who Magazine has dedicated a whole issue to location shooting. There’s a lot to write about, and some fantastic pictures that have never seen print before.

Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition: On Location is on sale now, price £5.99 (UK) and $11.99 (US).

Comment

David Suchet to appear in Doctor Who
                              Tuesday, 16 August, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/08...octor-who.html

The BBC has announced that David Suchet will appear in the next series of Doctor Who.

Suchet will play the role of The Caretaker in series 10, currently being recorded in Cardiff. He will appear in an episode written by Mike Bartlett, best known for writing Doctor Foster for BBC One in 2015

David Suchet is best known for playing Agatha Christie's Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot, in the ITV drama series. He played Augustus Melmotte in the 2001 British serial The Way We Live Now, a role which won him the Broadcasting Press Guild and Royal Television Society best actor awards.

In 2003 he played Cardinal Wolsey in the two-part ITV drama Henry VIII and in 2006, he played the role of the fallen press baron Robert Maxwell in Maxwell.

David Suchet has had an extensive theatre career and has recently been starring as Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Earnest at the Vaudeville Theatre in London.

Comment

Doctor Who to shoot in Vancouver?
                                J
                                oseph Ruttle
                                More from Joseph Ruttle

Published on: August 17, 2016 | Last Updated: August 17, 2016 2:40 PM PDT

http://vancouversun.com/entertainmen...t-in-vancouver

Current Doctor Who Peter Capaldi has reportedly told fans on a set in Wales that the next filming location for the longtime BBC hit will be Vancouver.

The Hollywood North rumour mill has the long-running BBC hit Doctor Who likely coming to Vancouver soon for location shooting.

British film and TV blog CultBox reports that star Peter Capaldi told several fans on a U.K. set this week that a second block of filming for the show’s 10th season will take place in Vancouver in October.
                                The crew is currently working on the third and fourth episodes of Season 10 at locations in Cardiff, Wales.

“If true, this won’t be the first time Doctor Who has shot (in Vancouver),” said CultBox. “Paul McGann made his debut as the Eighth Doctor 20 years ago in ‘The TV Movie,’ which was filmed entirely in Vancouver in 1996.” (CultBox also notes that movie will be available on Blu-ray for the first time next month.)

The city, of course, has become a sci-fi mainstay, with shows such as Supernatural, Arrow and The X-Files having been shot in Vancouver over the years.

There’s a longtime Doctor Who connection with Vancouver, too: Rachel Talalay, who has directed several episodes of the show, is a film professor at the University of B.C.

Talalay has also worked on Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow in Vancouver, reports CultBox, and has been linked to the upcoming Captain Marvel movie. Could she also have a hand in the October shoot?

Season 10 is scheduled to air on BBC One next spring.

Comment

Working...
                                X