Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I despise casting older actors to play teens, it sexualises teenagers far more than they should. Bare in mind that the SJA characters were ALL teenagers, I would assume that most people who watched SJA who were adults did NOT view those characters as sex appeal. Why is it acceptable, therefore, to portray CHARACTER's of the same age as having sex appeal by casting older actors?

Just stick with casting correctly aged people and stop trying to make it sexy, it's damn right icky.

I'm still remarkably un-enthused. I'm not going to condemn it yet, but Spooks: Code 9 is still nestling at the back of my mind...

I will watch, but am not going to hold my breath.

The trouble is, unless this does well, I don't foresee any other spin offs for a while. Which is a shame, because - DAMN IT - I want my realistic and gritty UNIT spin off that's filmed in the style of a contemporary Band of Brothers or suchlike.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 04 April 2016, 10:02 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Daniel Anthony and Anjli Mohindra were both in their early 20s at the time of SJA series 1, but - crucially - looked younger.

On the other hand with that fresh face of his, Tommy Knight, poor lad, seems doomed to play the eternal schoolboy.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        Daniel Anthony and Anjli Mohindra were both in their early 20s at the time of SJA series 1, but - crucially - looked younger.

On the other hand with that fresh face of his, Tommy Knight, poor lad, seems doomed to play the eternal schoolboy.
        I still don't buy Daniel Radcliffe as anything other than a 15 year old kid...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          I still don't buy Daniel Radcliffe as anything other than a 15 year old kid...
          Yeah, he's got the kind of face that doesn't really suit facial hair.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Here's how Peter Capaldi’s Doctor could fit into Doctor Who spin-off Class
            It sounds like the Twelfth incarnation of the Time Lord is a significant presence at Coal Hill school
            By Huw Fullerton
            Monday 4 April 2016 at 2:40PM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...spin-off-class

Today saw the announcement of all sorts of things about upcoming Doctor Who spin-off Class, including basic facts about the premise of the school-set series, the young actors starring in it and even a 360-degree video of the cast and crew on set.

However, in amongst all the news you might have missed a crucial detail explaining how the series will tie in to parent show Doctor Who and the Whoniverse in general, not to mention Peter Capaldi’s Time Lord himself.

Curious? Well let’s begin by taking a look at this Class synopsis, tweeted earlier by series creator Patrick Ness:

“Time has looked at your faces now. And time never forgets…”

What if your planet was massacred and you were the sole survivor?

What if a legendary figure out of space and time found you a place to hide?

But what if the things that want to kill you have tracked you down?

And worst of all, what if you haven't studied for your A-Levels…?

We’re calling it – that “legendary figure out of space and time” has to be the Doctor, helping a displaced young alien find a new home at the school he’s been associated with for so long. Maybe this is the last survivor of an alien race we’ve seen before (even an old enemy!), or maybe it’s something new – either way, we’ll surely get to see the Doctor lending a hand, even if it’s just in flashback.

After all, we’ve seen plenty of technology in Doctor Who over the years which hides an alien form (eg a chameleon arch or a shimmer), so we’re betting the Time Lord lent some to the ET refugee to help him/her blend in and avoid their enemies. And where better for him to send a young person in trouble than the place where the Doctor’s beloved Clara shaped minds for years?

Though according to the official press release for the new series, it might just be the worst place he could have brought someone…

All the time travelling over the years [at Coal Hill School] has caused the very walls of space and time to become thin. There’s something pressing in on the other side, something waiting for its chance to kill everyone and everything, to bring us all into Shadow.

Finally, the Doctor Who/SEGA crossover we’ve all been waiting for.

Of course, you could argue that none of this relates to the Doctor at all, and that the “legendary figure out of space and time” could be someone else entirely, perhaps a brand-new character. It could even be possible that this “legendary figure” is a villain (for example, Michelle Gomez’ Missy or Davros), described in this particular way to make us think they’re the Doctor for a great twist reveal later in the series.

But then again, if the Doctor wasn’t turning up at all why would he say that first line to some of the series’ characters, as revealed by Patrick Ness earlier today? At the very minimum, this previously unseen Doctor quote would seem to indicate we’ll see Peter Capaldi in Class at least once.
            "Time has looked at your faces now. And time never forgets..." -- The Doctor #ClassDW

When RadioTimes.com asked Patrick Ness back in November whether we could expect to see the Time Lord turn up, he was equally suggestive, teasing “I can neither yet confirm nor deny... But I’m a big Peter Capaldi fan, let’s put it that way.”

And a source close to the production told us recently that Class “will have a close connection with Doctor Who so don’t be surprised if Peter pops up”.

Basically, if we don’t see the Doctor return to help with some A level revision and/or clean up his inter-dimensional mess by the end of the first series, we’re a vampire monkey’s uncle. Class dismissed.

Class will be released on BBC3 this autumn

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Doctor Who spin-off star Greg Austin is VERY excited about his new role in Class
              The Mr Selfridge actor took to his YouTube channel to discuss his part in Patrick Ness’ Class
              By Huw Fullerton
              Tuesday 5 April 2016 at 10:43AM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...-role-in-class

After all the announcements about Doctor Who spin-off Class yesterday (including the cast and some of its premise), we thought no-one could be more excited than us about the upcoming series – but we hadn’t taken newly-announced star Greg Austin into account.

In fact, Austin – who will appear alongside cast mates Vivian Oparah, Sophie Hopkins, Fady Elsayed and Mr Selfridge co-star Katherine Kelly – was so pumped about the whole thing that he posted a video to his YouTube gaming channel all about his big new role, recounting the day he was given the part and how difficult the secret has been to keep.

You can watch Austin fanboy out above (also a handy way to see what he’s like if you’ve never seen Mr Selfridge). Basically the whole thing is very sweet, even if we are a little jealous about all the time he’s spent on the Doctor Who set. Clearly, Class will have some class.

Class will come to BBC3 this autumn

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Torchwood back as Comic
                Wednesday, 13 April, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/04...omic-form.html

Titan Comics have announced that Doctor Who TV spinoff Torchwood is back, in an all-new ongoing comic series starring the daring Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper.

The series is written by Captain Jack himself – John Barrowman – and Carole E. Barrowman, and with issues illustrated by Antonio Fuso (Drive, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest) and Pasquale Qualano (Batman ’66, She Hulk, Harley Quinn).

In continuity with the new hit Torchwood audio dramas from Big Finish, as part of the official continuation of the Torchwood saga, the comic arrives in stores on July 6 – the week of Titan’s third annual Doctor Who Comics Day event – Saturday, July 9 2016.

The BAFTA-winning cult science-fiction drama by Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies, which aired for four successful seasons from 2006 to 2011, follows the exploits of Captain Jack, Gwen (Eve Myles - Broadchurch), and their team as they investigate the unusual, the strange, and the extraterrestrial.

The hotly anticipated Torchwood comic sees Captain Jack return to Cardiff to engage the help of the last person who expected to see him again, Gwen Cooper! A dark technology from a forgotten species has been claimed by a conspiratorial power… and in this collision between an ancient civilization and an all-new evil, the Earth itself may be forfeit! Only Jack, Gwen, and their allies from what remains of Torchwood hold the key to stopping a cataclysmic wave of destruction… On the road, on the run, and under fire – can Jack and Gwen put aside their differences and rebuild the heart of Torchwood… before its flame is stamped out forever?!

The debut issue comes with variant covers to collect from Doctor Who artists including Tommy Lee Edwards (Tenth Doctor, Turf), Elena Casagrande (Tenth Doctor, The X-Files), Blair Shedd (Ninth Doctor), and Rod Reis (Doctor Who, C.O.W.L.).

Comment

Gareth Thomas 1945-2016
                  Thursday, 14 April, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/04...1945-2016.html

Gareth Thomas has died at the age of 71.

Gareth Thomas played Ed Morgan in the 2006 Torchwood story Ghost Machine. He also appeared in a 2001 Big Finish production, Storm Warning.

However Thomas was best known for playing the eponymous hero of the 1970's science fiction series Blake's 7.

Thomas played Roj Blake, leader of a band of rebels, pitted against a corrupt federation in the series created by Doctor Who writer Terry Nation. The series ran on BBC One from 1978-1981, with Thomas taking the lead role for the first two series. When Thomas decided not to renew his contract for series 3, the character of Blake was killed off. The ghost of Blake was present throughout the remaining series and Thomas returned to the series twice, once at the end of series 3 and once for the climatic final episode, Blake.

Gareth Thomas was born in Wales in 1945. He trained at RADA and made his TV debut in a 1965 production of Romeo and Juliet.

A steady succession of TV roles followed, including parts in Coronation Street, Z-Cars, Harriet's Back in Town, Sutherland's Law, Edward VII, Jackanory and How Green Was My Valley where he played Rev. Gruffydd. In 1972 he was nominated for a BAFTA for his performance in the BBC Play for Today, Stocker's Copper. He played Adam Brake in the 1977 children's series Children of the Stones, and Shem in the ITV series Star Maidens.

Following his role as Blake, Thomas played Philip Denny in the 1983 version of A.J. Cronin's The Citadel and took the lead in the BBC One drama Morgan's Boy, about a Welsh hill farmer who finds himself looking after a teenage boy, a performance which won him his second BAFTA nomination.

He appeared in By the Sword Divided and Knights of God and had a regular role in the ITV series London's Burning. In 1998 he took on the role of Nathaniel Clegghorn in Heartbeat.

In 2012, Thomas returned to the role for which he was best known, playing Roj Blake in the Big Finish Production, Blake's 7: The Liberator Chronicles.

Gareth Thomas died Wednesday 13th April. He is survived by his wife Linda.

On a personal note I want to express my deep sadness at the passing away of Gareth Thomas. My condolences go out to his family and friends. He won't ever be forgotten.

Comment

New companion to be announced during Match of the Day on Saturday
                    Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - Reported by Chuck Foster

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/04...416171008.html

The BBC have announced that they plan to reveal who will playing the latest sidekick to join Peter Capaldi in the TARDIS in Doctor Who this coming Saturday, 23rd April, during the half-time interval of the F.A. Cup Semi-Final match between Everton and Manchester United that will be shown live on BBC One from 4:50pm.

With kick-off due at 5:15pm this is likely to feature just after 6:00pm.

Comment

Doctor Who: New companion teaser trailer - BBC One
                      Published on 22 Apr 2016

Programme website: http://bbc.in/1UFcb1w The Doctor's new companion will be revealed...tune into the FA Cup semi final on 23/04/2016

Comment

Introducing PEARL MACKIE as 'BILL'

Comment

Doctor Who: Pearl Mackie named as new companion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36111598

Pearl Mackie has been named as the new Doctor Who companion alongside Peter Capaldi's Time Lord in the Tardis.

The Londoner's role was announced on BBC One during half time of the FA Cup semi-final match between Everton and Manchester United.

Mackie, 28, replaces Jenna Coleman, whose character Clara Oswald left the show in 2015.

Filming for the next series of the long-running science fiction show will start this year but air in 2017.

Mackie, who graduated from Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in 2010, played Anne-Marie Frasier in Doctors in 2014 and is currently performing in the National Theatre's West End production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.

"I'm incredibly excited to be joining the Doctor Who family," she said. "It's such an extraordinary British institution, I couldn't be prouder to call the Tardis my home."

'Genuine delight'

She added: "Peter Capaldi is such a brilliant actor, and his Doctor is such a wacky and wonderful character, I can't wait to see what adventures are in store for him and Bill throughout time and space."

Mackie said her new character "Bill" was "wicked", describing her as "cool, strong, sharp, a little bit vulnerable with a bit of geekiness thrown in".

Capaldi said: "It is a genuine delight to welcome Pearl Mackie to Doctor Who. A fine, fine actress with a wonderful zest and charm, she's a refreshing addition to the Tardis and will bring a universe of exciting new possibilities to The Doctor's adventures."

Doctor Who, which was first shown in 1963, is heading for its 10th season since it was reintroduced to schedules in 2005 after a gap of nine years.

Coleman joined the show in 2012, and starred alongside two Doctors, Matt Smith and Capaldi, the 12th Doctor who joined in 2014.

She asked to be written out and left to take on the role of Queen Victoria in a major ITV drama series.

In January, it was announced that the head writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, was stepping down from the show.

The next series will be his last, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall.
                          Last edited by Alan; 23 April 2016, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Meet The New Companion
                            Sunday, 24 April, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/04...companion.html

The BBC has released the first interview with the new Doctor Who companion, Pearl Mackie.

The casting was announced on BBC One, during half time of the FA Cup Semi-Final, with 5.3 million viewers watching at the time.

Comment

As I expected, I'd not heard of Ms. Mackie before now, and I've not seen anything she's been in - which isn't much, according to her IMDB page.

However, I wish her all the very best.
                              sigpic

Comment

I think she looks to be fun! Sort of reminded me a bit of Rose. I read quite a few comments that she reminds others of Ace, but I'm not familiar with that time in the show....

(Tom Baker was my childhood Doctor and I didn't get back to watching until #9)

Comment

Working...
                                X