Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I queued for many hours in John Menzies. Years later I discovered that somewhere in that queue was a very young David Tennant. And it gets even better. I told this story to Peter, who then said, “Oh, I was there but I arrived too late. It was all over.” David and I were in the queue like proper little fanboys but Peter - being somewhat cooler than us - came tumbling in through the door much later, wondering where everyone had gone."
    - Steven Moffat on going to get Tom Baker’s autograph in Glasgow in the 1970s from The Sun TV Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      Yes, it was. And I agree with you with shows like the X Factor get their ratings because they go out Live and so they need to be watched Live whereas shows like Doctor Who get caught up with later via the BBC iPlayer or Sky+. I fully expect the same to happen next Saturday too.
      I've been looking at the scheduling and I've just noticed that next Saturday the England vs Wales match in the Rugby World Cup is on at the same time as Doctor Who. People are going to want to watch that live. So I can well imagine Doctor Who live figures being even lower & the time shifted higher.

Edit - Oh great.... Do the BBC actually like shooting themselves in the foot?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34307519
      Last edited by Blencathra; 20 September 2015, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
        I've been looking at the scheduling and I've just noticed that next Saturday the England vs Wales match in the Rugby World Cup is on at the same time as Doctor Who. People are going to want to watch that live. So I can well imagine Doctor Who live figures being even lower & the time shifted higher.

Edit - Oh great.... Do the BBC actually like shooting themselves in the foot?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34307519
        I had a feeling that might be the case for the scheduling next Saturday.

As for the BBC News reporting on the ratings...they still need to be impartial whether its their own product or not as all broadcasters do. I assume ITV and Channels 4 and 5 do the same for their shows too although tbh I don't really know. I must imagine that they do. How can they not unless they're so up themselves they wouldn't admit a defeat even if it is blatantly obvious to the number crunchers?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I think impartiality is all well and good. But I think that in their attempts to be impartial the BBC go too far the other way. That headline is biased against the BBC's own show.

I think a neutral headline would be more on the lines of this one from Deadline - "'Doctor Who' Season 9 Debuts To 4.58M Viewers On BBC1 In Slow Night For UK TV".

All the BBC have done is give ammunition for the pitchfork and torch wielding anti-Moffat haters, who will now be frothing at the mouth and screaming for his removal.

Edit - Oh and another thing. How must Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat and all the Doctor who team feel. They have sweated blood to make the best programme possible, and then BBC then go with that as their headline. They must be totally depressed. They would expect it from the Daily Mail, but this one came from within the BBC itself.
          Last edited by Blencathra; 20 September 2015, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I think impartiality is all well and good. But I think that in their attempts to be impartial the BBC go too far the other way. That headline is biased against the BBC's own show.

I think a neutral headline would be more on the lines of this one from Deadline - "'Doctor Who' Season 9 Debuts To 4.58M Viewers On BBC1 In Slow Night For UK TV".

All the BBC have done is give ammunition for the pitchfork and torch wielding anti-Moffat haters, who will now be frothing at the mouth and screaming for his removal.

Edit - Oh and another thing. How must Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat and all the Doctor who team feel. They have sweated blood to make the best programme possible, and then BBC then go with that as their headline. They must be totally depressed. They would expect it from the Daily Mail, but this one came from within the BBC itself.
            I absolutely agree and support everything you said 100%!. I think you should make this point to the BBC News team as well. If you're interested in doing that (and I hope you are) you can do it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20039682

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              I absolutely agree and support everything you said 100%!. I think you should make this point to the BBC News team as well. If you're interested in doing that (and I hope you are) you can do it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20039682
              Doing it now as I feel very strongly about this. I'm just trying to figure out how to say it in less than 1500 characters.

Gallerys on the BBC site

The making of The Magician's Apprentice - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032vs5q/p032vr19

Production artwork - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032vtdg/p032vsmr

Storyboards - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032vqjx/p032vpmj

Comment

Doing it now as I feel very strongly about this. I'm just trying to figure out how to say it in less than 1500 characters.

Gallerys on the BBC site

The making of The Magician's Apprentice - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032vs5q/p032vr19

Production artwork - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032vtdg/p032vsmr

Storyboards - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032vqjx/p032vpmj
                Good for you! You've got my support! 1500 characters is a difficult (but not impossible? ) margin to work in and I'm sure you'll do it! I wish you the best, oh and thanks for those links too!

Comment

Peter Miles watches The Magician's Apprentice. Spoilers for The Magician's Apprentice.

Spoiler:

http://brightcoat.tumblr.com/post/12...er-immediately

Peter Miles (aka Nyder from Genesis of the Daleks) immediately after watching the episode.

“I have just watched the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who, and I was fascinated to see my old friend Davros. He looks a bit under the weather, but I’m sure he will be back to his old self in the near future!“
                  Last edited by Blencathra; 20 September 2015, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I have to admit, the headline is ridiculous, sees millions desert opening episode? More like audiences moving to different platforms to watch...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                      I have to admit, the headline is ridiculous, sees millions desert opening episode? More like audiences moving to different platforms to watch...
                      Exactly! The headlines is completely OTT and I am glad that you are joining Blen and I on this. Such a pity the BBC don't recognise this too. Hopefully after a well-worded complaint they will.

Comment

Wait, there's a headline saying that? Are they real?
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The Magician's Apprentice - AI:84

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/09...ce=twitterfeed

Doctor Who: The Magician's Apprentice had an Audience Appreciation or AI score of 84.

The Appreciation Index or AI is a measure of how much the audience enjoyed the programme. The score, out of a hundred, is compiled by a specially selected panel of around 5,000 people who go online and rate and comment on programmes.

The score is on a par with the scores for Series Eight of Doctor Who, which averaged 83.3.

52% of the viewers responding, strongly agreed the programme was Fresh and New .

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                            Wait, there's a headline saying that? Are they real?
                            Well the exact headline is: Doctor Who sees millions desert opening episode

Even when they say millions, you think three/four/more, but its only a dip of about 2 million...

If you consider everything else that was on (X Factor, Rugby, Davis Cup Tennis, Formula One) that weekend, most people were probably watching those on their TV, or out watching it in pubs/live. Plus lots of people wouldn't be in their homes, possibly travelling...

Its an overreaction by the BBC and makes it sound much worse than it is. I had to explain that to my mum and sister too...

Tbh, I was surprised by the amount it had dropped compared to last season when I first saw the numbers, but then I sat and thought about it and came to the above conclusion, the BBC seem to have just seen the numbers and wrote the article straight away. Needs to be also compared to other episodes this season to see what audience they bring as this is the first low episode...

Comment

Well the exact headline is: Doctor Who sees millions desert opening episode

Even when they say millions, you think three/four/more, but its only a dip of about 2 million...

If you consider everything else that was on (X Factor, Rugby, Davis Cup Tennis, Formula One) that weekend, most people were probably watching those on their TV, or out watching it in pubs/live. Plus lots of people wouldn't be in their homes, possibly travelling...

Its an overreaction by the BBC and makes it sound much worse than it is. I had to explain that to my mum and sister too...

Tbh, I was surprised by the amount it had dropped compared to last season when I first saw the numbers, but then I sat and thought about it and came to the above conclusion, the BBC seem to have just seen the numbers and wrote the article straight away. Needs to be also compared to other episodes this season to see what audience they bring as this is the first low episode...
                              Yeah, I agree with you. I mean, it's a matter of luck really when a show gets super high figures. It all depends on chance, especially nowadays with DVR and the web immensely lessening the number of people actually watching on time.
                              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/next-co...ours-76197.htm
                                Betting started on next companion and talk of next Doctor already...

Comment

Working...
                                X