X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview Extra - Peter Capaldi, Doctor Who

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/in...i-doctor-who-0

As the Doctor returns for an epic new 12-part run, star Peter Capaldi reveals he's a little more chilled out than the grumpy, hug-resistant Time Lord TVChoice encountered last year. Plus, he talks about the pressures of living up to fan expectations, and supressing his own fannish urges on set!

[Spoilered this first question as it mentions a monster. I think we all know this anyway, but spoilered just in case - Blen]

Spoiler:
    The Daleks are back in this Saturday's opener. Are you happy to see them?

Oh yeah! And so many of them, which is lovely – not having them all CGI-created but to actually have a whole pile of them in the room, it’s very exciting.

Bring us up to speed on how things are between the Doctor and Clara as this series begins.

They are sort of celebrating this freedom they have to roll through time and space wherever they want to go. They’re having a brilliant time. They’re really excited about the idea of adventure, and they keep pointing themselves in that direction, but of course, being as it’s Doctor Who, that’s a dangerous thing to do! You can’t have a good time for too long. You’ll have to pay for it somewhere down the line!

We'd seen quite a conflicted Doctor last year, but he seemed to have come to some sort of resolution by the Christmas special. Where's he at now?

What I find interesting about this year's run is that the Doctor’s still sort of looking for himself. He’s changed to some degree. I mean, he still has the same concerns and worries and darkness, if you like, but he’s embracing the present. That’s really because he has a profound knowledge of the past and the future and that in this incarnation he is, I think, sometimes prone to… he’s wiser than he often says. He knows things can end in great distress, but rather than focusing on that he’s decided to have a good time. But it doesn’t mean that he’s not aware darkness will fall… or whatever phrase I can think of that you can print which sounds good!

Is there anything after your first series where you thought, 'I’d like to do less of that or more of that?'

Not really. I’m not involved with writing the scripts, so whatever comes is whatever comes, and it’s very, very good. They’re particularly strong this year. I think all Doctors, when they come along in their first year, probably react against the Doctor who was before them. So, obviously, because Matt [Smith] was very friendly and open, I felt it was important to not be like that. I think we made good choices. But I also think it’s right he grows as a character. It must be a very weird thing if you’re suddenly regenerated. Although you’re essentially the same person, you’re a new spirit, a new being, like a baby who has to discover who you are. So he’s still on that journey, even though it may appear he’s settled into a groove.

As a Doctor Who fan yourself, how do you find experiencing the stories the way you do rather than watching them as a completed package?

I guess those two bits of me are welded together – the fan and the grown-up professional actor… the not very grown-up professional actor! I just look at the material from the point of view of how I can make this work, and how best I can do my job with it. But at the same time, I’m always excited, because there’s always something fun in it that I really, really like. I’m excited to see a new monster or an old monster. I don’t get giddy or breathless, but there is a very warm, honey-ish feeling you get when you walk into a room full of Daleks. So I enjoy it, but I always think the fan relationship with Doctor Who is actually kind of private and intimate, really. I carry that with me. I have my own relationship with it. I couldn’t be gushing. Everyone would hate me if I turned up everyday and went, ‘Ooh, look, here’s another rubber monster, how fantastic! And here’s another corridor to run down!’ Although I do feel like that…

Carole Ann Ford – who played the first ever companion, the Doctor's granddaughter Susan, back in 1963 – has visited you on set. Do you think there’s any parity between her experiences and yours? When you talk, can you talk shop about the same show?

I think it’s a different show but everybody’s sort of linked. It’s important for someone like Carole Ann that she knows how respected she is. There’s a kind of dual thing, because I can see it from the point of view both as a fan and as an actor. So, what was it like to be an actor in the Sixties, and to go to Vidal Sassoon and get your hair cut and be trendy and work with Verity [Lambert, the show's first producer] and all that stuff? I have a respect for her as an actor, but also her place in the show is very important and key. Of course, she's my granddaughter, so I’m always fascinated by that. I just wish we could somehow echo that, or bring her back, or do something with her…

You've become known for taking extra time to write back to fans and sign autographs…

To be honest, I don’t think I do any more than Matt or David or Chris or anybody does. It’s just that we live in a new age where this is all communicated and reported. I think they did as much, if not more. You just walk around with this sense of a constant mountain of letters and stuff that you can’t deal with. You can’t get around to everybody. I do little drawings sometimes just because I doodle, and it seems slightly more personal to do something like that. I don’t think I particularly do anything special. It’s the great privilege of the job in the sense that you know that you can make people quite happy just by showing up. And they’re very forgiving – they don’t ask very much of you.

And is it in the back of your mind what it meant to you as a fan?

I think I know what it’s like, and I think I know how important it is, which is why I have this sackful of guilt because I simply can’t do everything. I can’t. So I try to do what I can, but to be honest there’s probably going to be a time where I’m going to have to pull back, because you haven’t got enough time to do the show… but I stress again I don’t think I do any more than anybody else.

Graham Kibble-White

Comment

Mission Dalek Competition Winners

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...tition-winners

Comment

Tweet from Blogtor Who

https://twitter.com/BlogtorWho/statu...61835613179904

EP 2 of Doctor Who Series 9, The Witch's Familiar, confirmed for a 7.45pm start on BBC One. Synopsis here http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/201...-familiar.html

Comment

Dalek spotted up a tree at Northington Grange in Alresford

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1373..._in_Hampshire/

Comment

NEW VIDEO: The Glory Years of the Doctor and Clara

The glory years of the Doctor and Clara are coming! Steven Moffat explains how and why!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032kq8n

Comment

DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE 491

http://www.doctorwhomagazine.com/doc...-magazine-491/

Doctor Who Magazine exclusively previews the first four episodes of the new series: The Magician’s Apprentice & The Witch’s Familiar and Under the Lake & Before the Flood…

Under the Lake and Before the Flood form Toby Whithouse’s first two-part Doctor Who story – and it hinges on time travel – and fairly mind-bending time travel at that. While plotting and writing, did Toby ever come to regret taking the wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey route?

“Oh never, I loved it! I’ve always wanted to do a timey-wimey episode,” he says. “In fact, it was going to be a lot more timey-wimey, but we lost some of that before we started filming. It’s enormous fun to deposit something in a script, then have the reason for it happen later.”

This is also the first story that Toby’s written to star Peter Capaldi as the Doctor.

“I think he’s the most ‘alien’ Doctor we’ve had since the show came back,” says Toby. “Even though the essentials of the character remain the same – his heroism, his brilliance, his enthusiasm – he feels to me like much more of an outsider than Chris Eccleston or David Tennant or Matt Smith were. He’s more strange and otherwordly. That’s really interesting to play with.”

ALSO INSIDE THE BUMPER 100-PAGE ISSUE 491…

- TARDIS TAKE-OFF!
              The Doctor’s days off and the TARDIS’ take off – showrunner Steven Moffat answers readers’ questions.
              - CLARA OSWALD’S 100 IMPOSSIBLE FACTS
              She has been something of ‘a mystery wrapped in an enigma’ but we’ve got to know Clara better than you might think. Jonathan Morris summarises everything we know about the Impossible Girl.
              - MONSTERS OF THE MILLENNIUM
              How do you go about making monsters for Doctor Who? Millennium FX prosthetic effects supervisor Kate Walshe reveals all!
              - LEGO DIMENSIONS!
              Official Lego products and a brand new video game…. Doctor Who is about to enter a new dimension. DWM talks to the team behind the project.
              - BEST DRESSED TIME LORD
              DWM interviews costume designer Ray Holman, the man behind the Twelfth Doctor’s new look.
              - “GOOD GRIEF!”
              As the Third Doctor returns for a brand new series of audio adventures, DWM talks to the man who is recreating the role made famous by Jon Pertwee: Tim Treolar.
              - THE WAR GAMES
              The Fact of Fiction explores the Second Doctor’s final story, a 10-part epic which threw the Doctor and his companions back into the events of the First World War.
              - JUNGLE FEVER!
              The adventure continues in the brand-new comic strip adventure, Spirits of the Jungle, by Jonathan Morris, illustrated by John Ross.
              - WHO HOMEWORK
              Jacqueline Rayner makes her kids’ summer homework fun with an exciting Doctor Who project in her regular column, Relative Dimensions.
              - MISSING IN ACTION
              Graham Kibble-White reviews The Macra Terror, a Second Doctor story missing from the BBC archives.
              - COMING SOON
              DWM talks to the people involved in the latest Doctor Who CD and book releases, including Justin Richards and Miranda Raison.
              - THE UNEXPLAINED
              The Watcher reflects on past Doctors and anticipates the new series of Doctor Who in Wotcha!.
              - PLUS! All the latest official news, reviews, competitions and The DWM Crossword.
              - AND! A giant-sized, double-sided poster!

The 100-page Doctor Who Magazine 491 is on sale from Thursday 17 September 2015, price £5.99.

Comment

I'm seeing unconfirmed reports that Jenna Coleman is to leave Doctor Who at the end of the current series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34266847
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I'm not surprised. She has stayed about the average length of time for a modern Doctor Who companion.

Looking around I'd be surprised if

Spoiler:
                  she was in the Christmas episode. They are filming right now but Jenna has been to Dragon Con in the US (Alex Kingston cancelled her appearance), Blackpool Comic Con and she's just tweeted that she was at a charity event at a school in London yesterday.

Comment

Just a reminder that The Doctor's Meditation will be on BBCA on Friday 18th September at 10 pm EST.

I'm guessing/hoping that the BBC will release it here in the UK at around 3 am Saturday. That seems to be a rather odd time to show it. Fingers crossed it will be available midnight.
                    Last edited by Blencathra; 17 September 2015, 04:45 AM. Reason: Get the times correct!

Comment

Is that the title of the prologue clip that they released online not too long ago?
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Dunno if any of you guys play the Facebook game "Bushwhacker 2", but a couple of oddly familiar looking characters have made an appearance today.

There's a red haired girl called "Amy", and her friend "the Doc" who wears a fez and has a blue shed.

Hmmmm, now who could that be I wonder?
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Hee! A blue shed! LOL.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Is that the title of the prologue clip that they released online not too long ago?
                          No it's different, Digi.

The Prologue is about 2 minutes long. The Doctor's Meditation is about 6 minutes long.

Here are a couple of official BBC pics from it...

Spoiler:

The Doctor's Meditation was shown in cinemas in the US a couple of days ago after 3D screenings of Dark Water/Death in Heaven, and I've been desperately trying to avoid spoilers for it.

Comment

Doctor Who Series 9 - Brian Minchin's episode guide

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/201...-minchins.html

Doctor Who executive producer Brian Minchin has been chatting in the latest issue of UK TV listings magazine TV & Satellite Week about Doctor Who Series 9, check out what he has to say below.

Spoiler:

The Witch's Familiar

"The cliffhanger from episode one feels so important to get out of, so I can't say much about this. We're going to see the Doctor trapped and alone, facing his greatest enemy and a terrible temptation. We see more of a Dalek city than ever before, and we're going to surprise you with this episode."

Under The Lake

"Ghosts on an underwater base! Add in time travel and we realised that in Doctor Who you could be haunted by your own ghost. A hugely exciting episode with some of our scariest moments yet. And you won't see the cliffhanger coming."

Before The Flood

"Set a few hundred years before episode three... The Doctor needs to unpick the past to solve the future."

The Girl Who Died

"We couldn't believe the Doctor hadn't properly met Vikings before. They find themselves in a small, fight Nordic village, with the Doctor doing all he can to persuade them not to fight the alien warriors that are menacing them. It doesn't quite work out as he planned."

The Woman Who Lived

"A beautiful episode centred on the Doctor and Maisie Williams' character. There's a Highwayman menacing London, an alien lurking in the woods, and comedian Rufus Hound stealing every scene."

The Zygon Invasion

"Some rogue Zygons are trying to destabilise the peace and start a war between Zygons and humans. We've gone global on this with stories split across the world."

The Zygon Inversion

"The UK has been taken over by shape-shifting Zygons, Clara is in a whole world of trouble... It's a bit of an Invasion of the Bodysnatchers..."

Sleep No More

"This episode is assembled from footage found in the wreckage of a crashed space station. We're just putting it out as it was discovered."

Face The Raven

"Sarah [Dollard, writer] had an idea about all those little side streets that don't actually exist, but what if they do, and what it actually inside them? Rigsy [from Flatline] is back, and he's in trouble. He woke up with a tattoo on his neck and it's counting down. No-one knows what happens with it hits zero..."

Heaven Sent

"This is a 'single-hander' which only features the Doctor and no-one else. It's the first time we've ever done an episode like it. And it's the most virtuoso, fantastic piece of writing from Steven [Moffat, lead writer]."

Hell Bent

"We go to somewhere I've always wanted to take Doctor Who, and meet the most brilliant new characters. There are monsters, battles, and surprises..."

Comment

Tweet from Doctor Who News

https://twitter.com/DoctorWhoNews/st...33654773854208

"@BBCNewsround is back tomorrow with some big Doctor Who news"

Comment

NEW VIDEO: The TARDIS is Changing!

Peter Capaldi reveals how and why the TARDIS will be changing in Series 9!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032kr3m

Comment

Working...
                                X