Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone bid 25,000 pounds (raising money for Children in Need) so they could see Doctor Who being filmed... Wow that is a fan with far too much money, at least it went to a good cause.

"TIME TRAVEL WITH DOCTOR WHO
    Sold for £25,000

We're giving you the chance to travel through the vortex to meet the 900-year-old Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey - Doctor Who."

Comment

I don' think this has been posted but a repost won't hurt...

Doctor Who Children In Need Concert

It's about two and a half hours...

And it won't be around for ever,

you can hear the whole event again for the following seven days by going to our Radio Player!

Comment

The site has been updated ready for the Christmas special "The Runaway Bride". The update has been up for about a week, but today they have added an advent calendar with Day 1 selectable, and a little surprise behind it.
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Surprised nobody else has got this yet, but there's an interview with John Barrowman over at SyFy Portal. (It contains SPOILERS)

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 3/29:
          Spoiler:
          Jack's back!
          “I will be in [season] three of ‘Doctor Who,’” he said excitedly. “I will be in the last three episodes of four episodes, and the scripts are being written as we speak because I just got a text from Russell [T. Davies] telling me that he’s finishing the script that Jack returns to ‘Doctor Who.’”

Comment

You sure thats not been posted, 'cus I've known about that for a while?
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Not on here it hasn't - not that interview at least, somebody may have mentioned it somewhere else, though.

Comment

Children In Need Doctor Who Concert Repeat

For those of you who didnt get to go to the concert in september, you may like to read this.
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...21/39201.shtml

I will have to do the online option since I dont have BBCi.
                Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Looks like the SCI FI Channel has committed to broadcasting Doctor Who Series 3 in the summer of 2007.

"Coming in 2007: Season Three. David Tennant returns as the Doctor this Summer, with Freema Agyeman as his new companion, Martha Jones."

If you haven't already found FreemaAgyeman.com, it's worth a look for multimedia Who info (and spoilers).

Doctor Who - Complete 2nd Series DVD
                  Last edited by TRexx; 23 December 2006, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Just a question. This is the first season I have truly enjoyed Dr. Who......so why do they have to change the dynamics, by losing one "companion" and adding another? I know, it was probably a "contractural" thing.....but I'm really getting tired of producers "fixing" things that aren't broken. Guess I'll be reading alot more next season and watching SciFi a LOT LESS.
                    On fighting:
                    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Billie Piper wanted to leave. I suppose RTD could have made her stay, if he'd had enough sellotape and maybe a really decent staple gun, but they'd have had to let her free and risk her running away whenever she needed a loo break, so they probably felt it wouldn't be worth it.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Lida View Post
                        Just a question. This is the first season I have truly enjoyed Dr. Who......so why do they have to change the dynamics, by losing one "companion" and adding another? I know, it was probably a "contractural" thing.....but I'm really getting tired of producers "fixing" things that aren't broken. Guess I'll be reading alot more next season and watching SciFi a LOT LESS.
                        In the original Doctor Who series, companions typically stayed on for two years.

Comment

In otherwords.

Companions don't actually matter. They get used up and thrown away. Which in this case, suits me fine.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                            In otherwords.

Companions don't actually matter. They get used up and thrown away. Which in this case, suits me fine.
                            Well, I don't agree with that assessment.
                            They fulfill an important role in the series (someone for the audience to identify with).
                            If you don't care about them, then for your purposes they aren't really effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              In otherwords.

I don't agree with that, they do not get used up and thrown away. Often travelling with The Doctor leads them to realise how much they need to be in one place and have a life that doesn't involve aliens and travelling to strange planets and being shot at, often they meet other people and choose to stay on with them (Susan, Joe, Nyssa) and sometimes they have no choice. Now if you mean the actresses, well I don't know, sometimes they maybe get pushed out for a newer model but I haven't heard of that happening, I still think 2 or so years on a show like Doctor Who is more then enough for any one companion, as much as I loved SJS 3-4 years was a very long time, and even though she shared some of that with various members of UNIT it was still a long time.

I think the companions need to be relatable, as a kid it was the companions more then The Doctor I related to, I didn't want to be like The Doctor I wanted to travel with The Doctor, to be a companion. *hey I was a kid* The companions are meant to be the wide eyed innocents in a way, but they are not always like that, many have been more world weary then The Doctor himself. I like that Doctor Who while sticking to a formula still managed to shake that up particularly with Liz Shaw and SJS.

EDIT: Can I say people forget that even this new version of Doctor Who is a kids show or at the very least a Family show, I know when I was a kid 2 years was a heck of a long time, as a kid a huge part of Doctor Who was taken up with SJS in my mind, and of course Tom Baker, now it was good casting and blind luck that they mostly worked (blind luck as SJS was of course cast while Joh Pertwee had the role) I actually think Elisabeth Sladen worked better with Tom then Joh, but sometimes it doesn't work so well, I think Rose/Billie was good with Tennant but Eccleston was her Doctor, and to me it showed. Of course I didn't ship them and I think the older fandom that did ship them was confused and angry when she left (also at Chris when he left for much the same reason/s). Again it is not an adult show so even with all the blatant shipping on the show, it never worked for me personally in fact it took away something, that total innocents of watching a show without UST.

Kids shows really shouldn't have that IMHO.
                              Last edited by Willow'sCat; 26 December 2006, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                                I don't agree with that, they do not get used up and thrown away. Often travelling with The Doctor leads them to realise how much they need to be in one place and have a life that doesn't involve aliens and travelling to strange planets and being shot at, often they meet other people and choose to stay on with them (Susan, Joe, Nyssa) and sometimes they have no choice. Now if you mean the actresses, well I don't know, sometimes they maybe get pushed out for a newer model but I haven't heard of that happening, I still think 2 or so years on a show like Doctor Who is more then enough for any one companion, as much as I loved SJS 3-4 years was a very long time, and even though she shared some of that with various members of UNIT it was still a long time.
                                Actors that played "companions" but were "pushed out", in other words, their contracts weren't renewed:
                                Peter Purves (Steven), Adrienne Hill (Katarina), Jean Marsh (Sara), Jackie Lane (Dodo), Anneke Wills (Polly), Michael Craze (Ben), Caroline John (Liz), Ian Marter (Harry), Matthew Waterhouse (Adric), Mark Strickson (Turlough)

Actors who I think might have been "pushed out" but I never found out for sure:
                                Sara Sutton (Nyssa), Nicola Bryant (Peri), Bonnie Langford (Mel)

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                                Again it is not an adult show so even with all the blatant shipping on the show, it never worked for me personally in fact it took away something, that total innocents of watching a show without UST.

Kids shows really shouldn't have that IMHO.
                                I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X