Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey! How long has it been since Jimmy Vee has been in Doctor Who in some form?
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Blimey! How long has it been since Jimmy Vee has been in Doctor Who in some form?
      It certainly has been. I think he last appeared in Doctor Who to briefly play a Graske in The End of Time, Part Two back in 2010. But his most recent Whoniverse appearance was in The Sarah Jane Adventures for Death of the Doctor playing the Groske....but even that was still 2010 so you're still talking 4-years!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Keeley Hawes talks Doctor Who Series 8

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/201...talks-who.html

Actress Keeley Hawes has been chatting about her role as Ms Delphox in Doctor Who Series 8. Speaking to BT, the Line of Duty actress said:

"I had such a lovely time on Doctor Who. Can't really call it work, it was absolutely lovely. My favourite part was something I thought I'd never get to do, is when the camera shakes [does a shaking motion]. You know, that kind of cheap effect! [Laughs] With the new Doctor! With Peter Capaldi - who is brilliant. And the lovely Jenna Coleman. They were so welcoming. It's quite nerve-wracking going on to a big show like that. They were absolutely delightful."

Comment

Secret Doctor Who Tardis locations revealed...
          Many of the original police phone boxes are not in a museum vault somewhere or some rich collector's mansion - they are in the streets of Glasgow, and can be visited any day of the week...
          Jade Bremner
          5:24 PM, 02 April 2014

They may not actually be able to time travel, but these original blue police call boxes are as close as you’ll get to a real Tardis

In 1963, when Doctor Who began, hundreds of blue police phone boxes were scattered all over the UK. They served a very important purpose in the days before the Internet and smartphones. Inside these iconic boxes was a telephone in which passers-by could alert the police when something was awry on the fair streets of Britain.

Over the years, local authorities tore them down, but little did they know the Doctor Who phenomenon would outlive them. However, Glasgow is one city in the UK that has preserved a handful of original (Tardis-style) police call boxes. One clever chap named Ward Westwater bought some of the remaining boxes and restored them (now they are even considered listed buildings!). Here's exactly where you can find them on the streets of Scotland...

1. Buchanan Street, Glasgow G1

Find this central police box outside Nationwide building society, near Central Station. It was moved recently to make way for a city shopping centre, but we think it fits in rather well. You can just imagine Matt Smith leaping from the door wielding a sonic screwdriver. This particular box has been made-over a number of times. Once it was painted white with polka dots by some art students and another time it was splashed with gold and black. At one point, it was even used as an ice cream stand.

2. Cathedral Square, Glasgow G4

This box on the corner of Castle Street used to be red, but was painted blue for the Who fans. At one point the police box here was transformed into a coffee hut, selling homemade beverages to warm up walkers on a cold day; we're not sure the Doctor would have approved - surely tea is more his tipple?

3. Wilson Street, Glasgow G1

This police box once stood beside some underground loos. It was on an island in the middle of the street, next to some iron railings leading down to said bogs. Now it sits on a new improved larger pavement, fully refurbished with a reinforced concrete exterior, new metal six pane windows and the whole thing was rewired, so it fully illuminates on top.

4. Great Western Road, Glasgow G12

Set on the corner of Byres Road and Great Western Road, next to the Botanical Gardens, this one sits in the middle of a fence, like it's just landed from space and taken a chunk right out of the iron. After being restored, it's in pretty good nick and well worth a photo. Remarkably, this one used to be a coffee shop too.

Police boxes around the UK

Original Tardis-style police boxes can be found elsewhere, but you will have to pay for the privilege. There's one at the Grampian Transport Museum in Aberdeenshire (entry £9.50), one in Derbyshire at the Crich Tramway Village (entry £13), one at Avoncroft Museum in the Midlands (entry £6.50) and another at Kent Police Museum in The Historic Dockyard (entry £18.50). Replicas can also be found throughout the UK, including one at Wetherby Police Station in North Yorkshire and Earl's Court tube station in London. Meanwhile, Dorset is currently building a police box – find out more here.

Link to original article which includes photos of the locations of the Police Box around Glasgow is here: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...tions-revealed

-----------------------------------

Speaking of Police Boxes and photos and Buchanan Street in Glasgow - check this out (I don't know WHAT the guy in this photo thinks he is doing??)
          Spoiler:

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

I spot a friendly Whovian in front of that police box.

We still have lots of boxes here in Edinburgh, but they are a different design, to fit in with the Edinburgh architecture. You can see some here.
            sigpic

Comment

On a related note, my local engineering firm has just purchased and installed a TARDIS replica in their yard. I walk past it on my way to work.
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                I spot a friendly Whovian in front of that police box.

We still have lots of boxes here in Edinburgh, but they are a different design, to fit in with the Edinburgh architecture. You can see some here.
                Oh, thanks mate! Appreciate that!

What a delightful and fascinating little article that is! Thanks for sharing that with us all!

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                On a related note, my local engineering firm has just purchased and installed a TARDIS replica in their yard. I walk past it on my way to work.
                Nice!

Comment

If I could just offer up a slight correction to the list of Glasgow Police Boxes?

Both the Buchanan Street box and the Wilson Street Box were used as coffee stands under the brand "Coppaccino" (Police Boxes selling coffee? Geddit?)

Myself and a few of the lads from SG-999 (in our alternate mode of UNIT) helped the owner out at the Buchanan Street box to drum up some business the day he opened.

Spoiler:

L to R: Steve Martin (Yes, that is his real name. And no he's not as funny as the other guy). Allen Green (mini-auton). Xander McEwan. John Gallacher. Brian Craig. Dave Wharton (Fourth Doctor). Me. Kevin Green (Auton).
                  Last edited by BruTak; 03 April 2014, 12:42 AM. Reason: Typo.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...tomb-62195.htm
                    Moffat explains Doctors Timey Tomb.

Comment

Smith’s Regeneration Was Originally More Brutal & Troubling

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/smiths-...ctor+Who+TV%29

Matt Smith has said that the regeneration fans saw in The Time of the Doctor was very different to other versions he shot.

Speaking at the WonderCon Q&A he said: “It’s very interesting the Christmas episode and particularly the regeneration. We shot so many versions of that.”

He elaborates: “We shot much more brutal, emotional and troubling takes and stories in there. The actual take that is used is an interesting one for me.”

Unfortunately Smith doesn’t go into further details but original reports claimed the 11th Doctor lost a leg at some point.

Smith admits he would have preferred one of the alternative versions: “To be honest, although it’s still a great episode, I think perhaps of what we shot and what was cut I would have chosen differently.”

Edit - Coincidentally I was just watching a vid of this. The relevant part is at 2.44.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                        http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...tomb-62195.htm
                        Moffat explains Doctors Timey Tomb.
                        Another snippet from Steven Moffat in DWM is this, that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else.

Q. Why doesn't the TARDIS like Clara at all?

Spoiler:

SM: As the Type 40 bad girl made clear in The Doctor's Wife, she doesn't like him bringing home strays. [...] Now those pesky humans who keep following him home are usually content to stumble about, saying "It's bigger on the inside" and remain sufficiently in awe of the Police Box magic never to question it. But clever, sceptical, hard-to-impress Clara might just cause trouble. It's almost like it's all building to something.... Oh! What's this I'm writing today...?

Comment

For anyone interested, Dark Eyes 1 & 2 are on offer this weekend, £20 each.

http://bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-w...-weekend-deals

Comment

Danny Pink: Recurring How?
                            http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/danny-p...-how-62257.htm

Comment

Doctor Who needs your vote!!!

Vote for the Radio Times Audience Award at the Bafta TV Awards 2014

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...tv-awards-2014

Ever wanted to decide which show wins an award at the TV Baftas? Well, now is your chance, as the Radio Times Audience Award is open for business.

A panel of leading TV journalists from across the industry worked with Radio Times to shortlist six shows that captured audiences' imaginations, got the nation talking and became must-watch TV in 2013. And here are the nominees... (you can click on them to find out much more)
                              • Breaking Bad

• Broadchurch

• Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor

• Educating Yorkshire

• Gogglebox

• The Great British Bake Off

But now it's over to you - because the winner announced at the British Academy Television Awards on Sunday 18 May 2014 is decided by the result of your public vote.

You have until midday on Thursday 15 May to cast your vote - so spread the word, and make sure you have your say...

Vote here ... http://www.radiotimes.com/win/radio-...-2014/211.html

Comment

BAFTA Nominations 2014

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/04...ce=twitterfeed

The drama based on the origins of Doctor Who, An Adventure in Space and Time, has been nominated for an award by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

The Mark Gatiss story, is up for Best Single Drama in the main television awards, the winners of which will be announced Sunday 18 May 2014.

Television | Single Drama in 2014
                                • The Wipers Times
                                  David Parfitt|Andy De Emmony|Ian Hislop|Nick Newman
                                • Black Mirror: Be Right Back
                                  Barney Reisz|Charlie Brooker|Owen Harris
                                • An Adventure In Space And Time
                                  Mark Gatiss|Matt Strevens|Terry McDonough|Caroline Skinner
                                • Complicit
                                  Guy Hibbert|Niall MacCormick|Kevin Toolis|Jolyon Symonds

Doctor Who itself is up for an audience award, with the 50th Anniversary special, The Day of the Doctor being nominated in the category where the winner is voted for by the British Public. [see above - Blen]

Television | Radio Times Audience Award in 2014
                                • Doctor Who: Day Of The Doctor
                                • Educating Yorkshire
                                • Breaking Bad
                                • Broadchurch
                                • Gogglebox
                                • The Great British Bakeoff

Voting in now open and can be done via the Radio Times Website - http://www.radiotimes.com/win/radio-...-2014/211.html

Doctor Who and An Adventure in Space and Time, have also been nominated in the 2014 BAFTA craft awards, the winner of which will be announced on Sunday 27 April.

Comment

Working...
                                X