X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tom Baker Years on Sci Fi in Australia
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 - Posted by Harry Ward

The Australian Sci Fi Channel is to air Doctor Who episodes from the Tom Baker era, starting with his first story, Robot on 17 August.

In 1974 an unknown actor called Tom Baker was cast in the lead role of Doctor Who, and turned an already popular show into a phenomenon. For a generation, the Fourth Doctor is the definite article– warm, witty, clever and sometimes very strange indeed. Clad in his trademark overlong scarf and with a bag of jelly babies to hand, he strode confidently through some of the show’s most memorable adventures. Over seven exciting years this Doctor met old adversaries - like the Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans –with some help from much-loved friends like Sarah Jane Smith, Leela, Romana and the faithful K-9.

If you’re a fan of the incredible new series of Doctor Who, then this is a great chance to check out where the legend began. If you saw it back in the day then you won’t need reminding what awesome fun it was to go travelling with the Fourth Doctor every weeknight. Get on board the TARDIS and have yourself some all-time classic adventures in time and space with Doctor Who: The Tom Baker Years – only on SCI FI!

Schedule for Robot
    Wednesday, August 17
    06:30-06:55 - Episode 1
    06:55-07:20 - Episode 2

Thursday, August 18
    06:30-06:55 - Episode 3
    06:55-07:20 - Episode 4
    (times are shown in AEST)

A full schedule for the rest of Season 12, including repeats can be found here.
    (with thanks to Matthew See)

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...rs-on-sci.html

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
      Didn't I hear that David Walliams was appearing in one of the upcoming episodes of the rest of the series?
      Yes he is in it, episode 8, 9 or 10 i believe, Ill edit this with the correct info

Also, found some pictures from Part 2 of the series, which includes a some short clips.
      http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/first-look-...rt-2-23029.htm

Also, Moffat teases about the Christmas Special already!
      http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/fire-and-al...cial-23085.htm

Also whos going to be returning? We know some of who already
      http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/which-warri...turn-23073.htm

Comment

The Adventure Games: The Gunpowder Plot
        Thursday, July 21, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

The BBC have announced that the next Adventure Game is to be released in October, and will be entitled The Gunpowder Plot. The release describes the game thus:

The Gunpowder Plot will be the most advanced of the Adventure Games so far. Gamers will be able to play as the Doctor, Amy and Rory, exploring the immersive environments of this historic period. The adventure will feature multi-linear gameplay, even more sophisticated puzzles, and a complex lighting system specifically designed to recreate the atmosphere of 17th Century London. And for the very first time, the introduction of portal technology will enable gamers to experience for themselves that the TARDIS really is bigger on the inside...

Written by Phil Ford and produced by Gary Russell, the game is set in 1605 and will see the return of two old enemies of the Doctor's - and of course will feature the main protagonist of the title, Guy Fawkes.

The game will also be accompanied by an online resource pack with downloadable assets to support History and Literature lessons in schools, via BBC Learning.

This isn't the first time the Doctor has encountered this period - the First Doctor, Ian and Barbara became embroiled in the plot back in 1996, for the Virgin Missing Adventures series book The Plotters written by Gareth Roberts.

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...ure-games.html

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Barrowman wants role in Doctor Who 50th
          Saturday 23 July 2011

Torchwood star John Barrowman has announced that he wants to star in a Doctor Who 50th anniversary special in 2013.

The 44-year-old stated during the Torchwood Comic-Con panel in San Diego that he would "love" Captain Jack to celebrate the sci-fi milestone alongside Matt Smith's Time Lord.

"'Torchwood' and Captain Jack were born from the mother ship, which I always called and referenced as 'Doctor Who'," he said. "I think it would be an interesting thing. I would love to do it.

"If Matt was welcome to it, because he is The Doctor now, I think it would be great. I think it would be a different kind of dynamic there with Jack and The Doctor. So, yes, I'm totally up for it."

Barrowman added that he has already spoken to current 'Doctor Who' boss Steven Moffat and his predecessor Russell T Davies about the prospect.

"I think it would be disappointing for the 50th anniversary not to have a character like Jack in that show," he said. "Russell thinks it would be a good idea, I've spoken to Steven about it."

Barrowman also spoke of his gratitude at being able to continue playing Captain Jack for so long, and identified the time as his "dream" role.

"I love playing Jack, whether with 'Torchwood' or making an appearance on 'Doctor Who'," he added. "It's the best coat I could put on every morning. When I was cast as Captain Jack, I thought it would be five episodes of 'Doctor Who'. I thought that was it.

"It was a dream job for me and [Torchwood co-star] Eve [Myles] and then when they said they wanted to do a spin-off show, it was just like being handed our dream job on a platter. We never ever thought we'd be sitting here among people like you. "

Link to original article here: http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0723/barrowmanj.html

Comment

Looks like a Doctor Who multiplayer online game could be on the horizon from this article!
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...TARDIS_Told_Us

Dunno if this has already been posted here, but cant remember it being discussed, so thought id throw it out

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
              Looks like a Doctor Who multiplayer online game could be on the horizon from this article!
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...TARDIS_Told_Us

Dunno if this has already been posted here, but cant remember it being discussed, so thought id throw it out
              Multi-player on-line Doctor Who games are cool.

Comment

Which Two Characters Might Be Getting a Doctor Who Spin-off?
                Written By Sam McPherson
                July 23rd, 2011

The most recent Doctor Who episode, "A Good Man Goes to War," introduced a slew of new characters who came to the Doctor's aid to wage war against Madame Kovarian (Frances Barber). Perhaps the most notable additions to the show's cast of characters were Madame Vastra (Neve McIntosh) and Jenny (Catrin Stewart), a Silurian assassin and her human companion. The characters became almost instantly well-loved amongst the show's fanbase, and now, it seems, there might one day be a spin-off with the duo.

"Obviously the first person to think about a spin-off was me, when I was writing "A Good Man Goes To War," shared executive producer and showrunner Steven Moffat. "A Victorian Silurian? Her lesbian maid? Come on!"

Talking to SFX, Moffat declared that the spin-off had even received an unofficial greenlight from BBC Drama Controller Ben Stephenson. “He just said ‘...Yes!’. And then I said ‘I obviously don’t have time to do this..."

That doesn't mean that we'll have to wait to see more of Vastra and Jenny, especially after their reception by fans. "I think I might revisit them," Moffat divulged. "They were great fun to write. . . I was pleased by the reaction to them, but not surprised. They really cut through as characters, given how little screen-time they had. I certainly wouldn’t be averse to them returning. It’s just a thing that worked, isn’t it? I love that Victorian setting, and having kicked it out of [his other series, Sherlock, which re-imagines the Victorian era detective in a modern setting] I can always kick it in somewhere else!”

I'd personally be up to possibly seeing Vastra and Jenny as companions after the inevitable departure of the Doctor's companions, Rory (Arthur Darvill) and Amy (Karen Gillan), whenever that may be. It wouldn't put such an enormous strain on Moffat's schedule, and we'd get to see more of the duo (though just routine guest appearances would be fine by me as well). In any case, it should be interesting to see just how and when we see these new characters in the future.

Doctor Who will return in the fall with the episode "Let's Kill Hitler."

Link to original article here: http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/b...ff-works/70327

My own personal take on this: I said right from their first appearance that Vastra and Jenny deserved their own spin-off show! I think it'd be great and with it obviously being a part of the Whoniverse it would make for essential viewing for me!

Comment

That's something he tweeted about for a bit but as much as I approved of the characters, I can't see it becoming a reality. Maybe they'll be back in Doctor Who though!
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

i approve of jack returning
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

You are welcome Whovians
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Karen Gillan stays with Doctor Who
                        Sunday, July 24, 2011 - Posted by Marcus

Karen Gillan had told the website Zap2it that she is staying with Doctor Who for the foreseeable future and will be returning as Amy Pond for the 33rd series of the show which goes into production at the end of the year.

Doctor Who has been commissioned for a further fourteen episodes following this year's Christmas Special, and previously only Matt Smith was known to have been contracted for the run. Gillan was interviewed at Comic-Con and when asked if she would be returning she said, "I am going to come back, yes,That's the first time I've said that today"

The 33rd series will be the seventh full series since the show returned in 2005. It is due to be shown during 2012 and 2013.

Link to original article which also contains video here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...tays-with.html

Comment

Spoiler:
                          weeping angels
                          are back
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

OMFG That looks awesome!
                            Hope you dont mind, I posted it in the Speculation thread too, but credit went to you for posting it

Apparently episode 8 will include young Amy again and young Rory.

Also, good news about Karen staying =)

Also found this on the Doctor Who site
                            Preview of episode 11
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00jcqqq
                            Last edited by Teddybrown; 24 July 2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Doctor Who Return Date
                              Sunday, July 24, 2011 - Posted by Marcus

BBC America have confirmed that Doctor Who will return to the channel on Saturday, August 27th at 9/8c when the series continues with Let's Kill Hitler, written by Steven Moffat and directed by Richard Senior.

The BBC will not confirm a UK date for the return until much nearer the date of transmission, but a showing in the early evening of Saturday 27th is very likely.

There are six more episodes to be shown as part of Season 32.

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...turn-date.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                                Karen Gillan stays with Doctor Who

Did Rory just punch Hitler?

Comment

Working...
                                X