This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shazzboy
    this isnt an attack on americans, just your idiotic tv executives who stuff up almost everything. especially if its 'foreign'.
    It's Britishness is part of its charm.

It finally managed to slip into the American market.

I'm hoping the American audience will recognize its quality and, this time around, those American TV execs will just let it be.

They've proven time and again, they don't know squat.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
      It's Britishness is part of its charm.
      Yeah, I reckon the show could stand or fall in the US on that basis. Could go right over the Yanks' heads or they could love it. Plus they don't do tongue-in-cheek like the Brits.
      sigpic
      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I hope it does real well here... "Maybe if it does we could get a release for the TV movie.... hopes, Or even more eps I can't wait I am so excited!
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

If the ratings massively drop in the UK then that will be an even bigger problem.
          You ARE kidding of course, when Dr Who was screened here in the UK it swept everything off the ratings for 13 weeks, and it narrowly missed being the top show on Christmas Day because EastEnders killed off Nana Moon a few days before

Comment

Nope it isn't, and we get the chance to Show there are Doctor Who fans here too
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Anyone want to bet that the American censors cut the 'Defabricator' Scene from Bad Wolf and the Shirtless and tortured Chris Ecclestone from Dalek, It's going to get Butchered by the censor's

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                Anyone want to bet that the American censors cut the 'Defabricator' Scene from Bad Wolf and the Shirtless and tortured Chris Ecclestone from Dalek, It's going to get Butchered by the censor's
                i don't think they'll feel the need to cut much...

The defabricator was done quite well...the nudity was implied, not shown and just being shirtless doesn't earn a cut on broadcast tv so a cable network shouldn't have any problem with it.
                Thanks!
                Jordan

my page
                My LJ
                From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Sweet.
                  I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                    Maybe that should be spoiled You know that Capt Jack, scene was censored by the BBC anyway, couldn't show a butt shot! I wanted a butt shot!

I wondered about whether that was why they chose the 9 PM timeslot, it seems odd that here in Australia the ABC went with a Saturday 7.30 PM (child friendly) timeslot but the US goes with what is really an Adult viewing timeslot.

I think
                    Spoiler:
                    the kiss with Capt Jack might send some over the edge, except of course "Duet" had one of them too *which was after Dr Who's had screened* it is funny how the ratings for "Duet" slumped.

I had an odd thought the other day about the US market and Dr Who, if it did well do you think they would do an "The Office" on it? You know remake it for an American audience I can't even imagine how they could and have it remotely similar but I wouldn't put it past them. More to the point I wouldn't put it passed the BBC to lease them the rights to make their own version.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                      I had an odd thought the other day about the US market and Dr Who, if it did well do you think they would do an "The Office" on it? You know remake it for an American audience I can't even imagine how they could and have it remotely similar but I wouldn't put it past them. More to the point I wouldn't put it passed the BBC to lease them the rights to make their own version.
                      The Office...you're kidding, right?

They're already doing it.

Click here.

It stars Steve Carrell, formerly of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                        The Office...you're kidding, right?

They're already doing it.

Click here.

It stars Steve Carrell, formerly of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
                        Haha, that is what I meant. US version was not so great IMO, but I really liked the UK version.

Comment

Dont worry, as long as it maintains its enormous popularity in the UK and continues to be sold to more countries, US executive demands will be irrelevant. its all about market share. if US market share outweighs UK then there might be a problem. but, that is highly unlikely.

If the ratings massively drop in the UK then that will be an even bigger problem. however, as long as it is the show to watch in the UK and continues to become even more global, US executive demands will be a simple whisper in the background. this isnt an attack on americans, just your idiotic tv executives who stuff up almost everything. especially if its 'foreign'.
                          Actually think about it- if the scenario was reversed. Say Dr who was a us product and the bbc simply bought the seriew to show in the UK. The bbc would have no say in the content or format. So as the bbc own it and sci fi are simply just airing it they should have no say either. It only gets murky if some sort of joint funding for shows is involved like Sky one and Sci fi joint funded Battlestar Galactica. I don't think that's happened for Doctor who and I'd be surprised if it did. Plus there's the whole "the bbc is a British public funded institution" and their remit is to make entertainment for us. They have a completely different raisondetre to commercial stations who have to make a profit commercially. The BBC just has to show it gives us value for money and diversity for what we give them. Selling overseas is kinda like icing on the cake so to speak but not their core business.

Comment

Yeah the delay in the US is due to SciFi Channel's airing of Dr Who starting in March. However it does look like the release in Canada is still going to be Feb. 14th.

http://www.amazon.ca
                            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Well Canada has alrady seen the episodes well I think so.
                              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

It's almost like heaven....I'm not sure whether to believe my own eyes.

Stargate (x2)
                                Battlestar Galactica
                                And now Doctor Who

All on the same channel? I'm never going to leave my house on Friday ever again (except maybe during rerun nights). Go Sci-Fi. Keep up the good work.

Now if you really want to shock us, how about signing for a 6th Star Trek series (sans Beraga...maybe Manny Coto is available) from Paramount?
                                Thomas G Sluder
                                Smyrna, DE, USA

Comment

Working...
                                X