Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic Series Episodes on DVD: What should be released next? (WARNING - SPOILERS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
    But if they release it all as a boxset they shold at least release the key to time boxset region 2 first.
    I don't understand the reason for the delay. They're not going to add features on to the region 2 version. It's already been released for region 1. So where's the overhead? Designing the region 1 covers?!?

The only explanation I heard was that the BBC is under the impression that U.K. consumers either prefer single releases or are more willing to accept single releases.

So why not release them individually?

I suspect they have developed a plan for their release schedule, The Key to Time release was a remnant of an earlier policy, and they're trying to keep everyone happy by alternating the releases of different eras.

Personally speaking, with the series airing in the summer and the DVD boxet of it released in November, I'd think the perfect time to sell The Key to Time region 2 boxset would be March. That's what I would do...sell a whole season of Classic Doctor Who during the new series drought.

Comment

I've got to admit, I'm confused about all the new DVD thingy ma jigs...

They're releasing the first three story arcs on dvd in a boxset. Ok. are they going to go through and do this for ALL the eps? i only ask, because I want to start collecting classic eps, but Id much prefer it if they were all in the same box style and not a mis match, and if theyre rereleasing all the eps, then ill collect them as they come out in the new format.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It depends really on how much the Begginings boxset will sell for.
        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I like them to be the same style but I rather have the ep so that is secondary to me
          Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett

They're releasing the first three story arcs on dvd in a boxset. Ok. are they going to go through and do this for ALL the eps? i only ask, because I want to start collecting classic eps, but Id much prefer it if they were all in the same box style and not a mis match, and if theyre rereleasing all the eps, then ill collect them as they come out in the new format.
            They are releasing a megaset set for the Region 1 DVDs which includes....
            • The Aztecs (Ep. 6)
            • The Dalek Invasion of Earth (Ep. 10)
            • The Lost In Time Collection
            • The Tomb of the Cybermen (Ep. 37)
            • The Mind Robber (Ep. 45)
            • Seeds of Death (Ep. 48)
            • Spearhead from Space (Ep. 51)
            • The Claws of Axos (Ep. 57)
            • The Three Doctors (Ep. 65)
            • Carnival of Monsters (Ep. 66)
            • The Green Death (Ep. 69)
            • The Ark in Space (Ep. 76)
            • Pyramids of Mars (Ep. 82)
            • The Robots of Death (Ep. 90)
            • The Talons of Weng-Chiang (Ep. 91)
            • Horror of Fang Rock (Ep. 92)
            • The Key to Time Giftset
            • City of Death (Ep.105)
            • The Leisure Hive (Ep. 110)
            • The Visitation (Ep. 120)
            • Earthshock (Ep. 122)
            • The Five Doctors
            • Resurrection of the Daleks (Ep. 134)
            • The Caves of Androzani (Ep. 136)
            • Vengeance on Varos (Ep. 139)
            • The Two Doctors, The (Ep. 141)
            • Remembrance of the Daleks (Ep. 152)
            • Ghost Light (Ep. 157)
            • The Curse of Fenric (Ep. 158)

And is listed on Amazon.co.uk with a price of £325.84.

But then you would need a player capable of playing region 1 DVDs.

Comment

What confuses you? Let me know and I'll try to explain it. Do you own a DVD player?

They're releasing the first three story arcs on dvd in a boxset. Ok. are they going to go through and do this for ALL the eps?
              I know the BBC is trying to milk the U.K. market with single releases, but the U.S. market is pressuring them to release boxsets.

I think if you buy The Beginning & Lost in Time boxsets, you should be pretty safe. I doubt they are going to repackage them in other sets.

Unless you want to go region 1 and buy the MEGASET.

I really don't know what the plan is for boxsets.

I think they are going to release some more for some interlocking stories.

But I think, in the short term, they will try to get by with single releases.

i only ask, because I want to start collecting classic eps, but Id much prefer it if they were all in the same box style and not a mis match, and if theyre rereleasing all the eps, then ill collect them as they come out in the new format.
              No guarantees there.

To my knowledge, the only one that didn't match up for the region 2 release was The Five Doctors, but they corrected that by offering a DVD cover you can download and print out. I have a copy if you need it.

Personally, I'm not picky enough to let the DVD cover stop me from purchasing the story, but I am picky enough to make my own DVD covers since my collection doesn't match.

1 Reconstructed MP3-CD
              1 Region 2 title
              35 Region 1 titles

I wasn't crazy about the cover designs for either region, so I have been designing my own.

Personally, I think mine are far superior.

Unfortunately, my printer crapped out before I could test print any, so I'm stuck with 19 unprintable covers which look cool onscreen but I can't vouch for their print quality.

Comment

I made cover when I switched sliders to nomal dvd covers it isn't hard, but it seem they are staying with the same style cover so don't worry

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                  I made cover when I switched sliders to nomal dvd covers it isn't hard, but it seem they are staying with the same style cover so don't worry
                  What program(s) did you use?

Comment

The GIMP. and I'd need to work with it longer before I could do more.

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                      The GIMP. and I'd need to work with it longer before I could do more.
                      I used Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign by Adobe.

I took some screen captures I found online and cleaned them up with Photoshop.

I traced out the logos from the various eras in Illustrator, imported them into Photoshop and added various layers to make it look like a hi-res capture of the show.

I created different backgrounds, based on the title sequences for each era (various colored clouds, star field, or a combination nebula/stars).

Then I created my layout in InDesign and imported all the elements.

The Front Cover
                      Upper Left Corner: the BBC logo, TARDIS Exterior, and DVD Logo arranged vertically.

Upper Middle: dominated by the Doctor Who logo used in that story.

Centered underneath is an image from the story encapsulated in a large circle.

Bottom: the story title and the season number.

The Spine
                      Top: An image of one of the companions from that story.
                      Middle: Doctor Who then the story title
                      Bottom: Story Number & Reference Number (Season# + Letter; Example: "02B")

The Back Cover
                      Top Left: Doctor Who, then the story title, underneath is a list of credits: Producer, Script Editor, Director, Writer, Incidental Music, and the Regular Cast Roles

Middle Left: Story Description

Bottom Left: DVD Extra, Orginal Airdates of Each Episode, Format & Running Time

Top Right: Story Number, Index Number, & Production Code

Right: Six images from the story running vertically down the remaining length of the cover.

So far, I got 21 DVD covers done.

Comment

cool I wasn't so exthuistic Just a few pics so I knew which DVD's it was.

Comment

The region 2 releases have been confirmed:

March 2006: Genesis of the Daleks
                          May 2006: Inferno

Comment

The following Region 1 releases have been confirmed for June 2006:

The Web Planet
                            Revelation of the Daleks

Comment

Yes I've still haven't seen the Web Planet all the way through yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                                There has been an update for the Canadian release. They will be sticking to the February release date after all.
                                There has been yet another update for the Canadian release.

It will be delayed until March 7th.

Comment

Working...
                                X