David Tennant Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bittybye2000 View Post
    I just read that the BBC has offered Tennant £1.3m to stay on as the Doctor.

He's said he hasn't been approached with a new offer so now that he has his decision should be announced in the next few weeks. *fingers crossed*
    oh, I hope he does. a fourth season of Mr. Tennant is every fangirl's dream!
    Jess | he/his/him | future ruler of the universe
    "Roger that. Remind me to underachieve twice as hard from now on."
    sigpic
    dA | tumblr | twitter

Comment

Originally posted by bittybye2000 View Post
      I just read that the BBC has offered Tennant £1.3m to stay on as the Doctor.

He's said he hasn't been approached with a new offer so now that he has his decision should be announced in the next few weeks. *fingers crossed*
      Oh please please please please please! I'll throw in a tenner if that'll help tip the balance!
      sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
          Oh please please please please please! I'll throw in a tenner if that'll help tip the balance!
          hahaha same! of course with the exhange rate it doesn't really equate to much, but it's the thought that counts, yeh? i buy the dvds anyhow, so that should count for something, right?

i really hope he accepts. it's not like they're locking him in all the time, it's only 13 eps a year, and he's doing a play next year, so the job is great, the money is great. it's a wise investment for him.

hugs!

"victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
          "what?"
          *throat punch*
          My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
          LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Originally posted by rosey_angel View Post
            i really hope he accepts. it's not like they're locking him in all the time, it's only 13 eps a year, and he's doing a play next year, so the job is great, the money is great. it's a wise investment for him.
            It's 9 months of filming though with a crazy schedule. He's doing the play this year (starting next month I think) as they are not filming a full season this year.

An interesting thing I read/heard recently in an interview with RTD highlights the differences between UK and US TV. Yes, Doctor Who only makes 13 episodes a year whereas the standard for a US show (like SGA) is around 20. But - Doctor Who takes around 3 weeks to film each episode! SGA etc do roughly one a week. So people who assume that British TV shows don't work as hard as US ones because they produce less episodes couldn't be more wrong..
            sigpic

Comment

three weeks! how come it takes that long, do they only work five days a week or something? most US shows have an 8 day schedule, i get that DW has a lot of effects and stunts and stuff, but three weeks is insane scheduling
              "what?"
              *throat punch*

Comment

three weeks! how come it takes that long, do they only work five days a week or something? most US shows have an 8 day schedule, i get that DW has a lot of effects and stunts and stuff, but three weeks is insane scheduling
                No they work pretty long days and the actors work usually 5 or 6 days a week, I think. Just a different style of doing things, I guess - plus also Doctor Who doesn't use standing sets anywhere near as much as a show like SGA (the only standing set they have is the TARDIS interior) so there's more set-building and more location work etc.
                sigpic

Comment

yeah i know about the set building, but the actors don't need to be there for that. is it coz of the ancilliary stuff, like audio books?
                  "what?"
                  *throat punch*

Comment

yeah i know about the set building, but the actors don't need to be there for that. is it coz of the ancilliary stuff, like audio books?
                    No. Stuff like that is separate and extra from the episode filming. I honestly don't know enough about it to know why it takes 3 weeks to film an episode, I'm guessing that things like a high amount of location filming and new sets makes things take longer - merely in terms of setting everything up and sorting lighting and everything in a new location all the time, rather than a standing set where you have all that stuff permanently set up.

I think in general Doctor Who uses more sets/locations in each episode than SGA ever does - in SGA it's pretty much Atlantis, maybe an off-world village (often a standing set), a hive ship or Wraith base (standing set) an Earth ship (standing set) and.... that's about it generally. In Doctor Who they're all over the place!

Taking just, for example, The Sontaran Strategem, you've got
                    Spoiler:
                    the Rattigan academy (inside and out - 2 different locations, actually probably 3 cos there's the lab room and then Luke's room), location shoot of the car/car going into river, the TARDIS, the exterior factory, the interior factory (various locations), the cloning room, the UNIT control room, Donna's family's house interior and exterior, the UNIT jeep en route, the Sontaran ship control room etc.
                    sigpic

Comment

i really wanna find out more, from a scheduling pov it doesn't make sense for the actors to be working 15 days on one ep. it certainly shows that the design team work harder than the SGA team does, the physical and digital design, but the actors. two weeks per ep means two eps a month, with approx four weeks a month. that only means 6.5 months filming if my math is correct
                      "what?"
                      *throat punch*

Comment

i really wanna find out more, from a scheduling pov it doesn't make sense for the actors to be working 15 days on one ep. it certainly shows that the design team work harder than the SGA team does, the physical and digital design, but the actors. two weeks per ep means two eps a month, with approx four weeks a month. that only means 6.5 months filming if my math is correct
                        It's 3 weeks per ep. 3 x 13 = 39 weeks / 9 months (nearly 10 actually!).
                        sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                            It's 3 weeks per ep. 3 x 13 = 39 weeks / 9 months (nearly 10 actually!).
                            wow they work 15-21 days per ep! david and catherine etc are good, i wonder why it takes them that long to film 45 mins? is there anywhere the BBC or whomever does a q&a, i'd love to ask them

"what?"
                            *throat punch*

Comment

Now I forget the technical terms of everything but basically Stargate has 2 filming crews while Doctor Who has one. It takes longer to do everything that way.

Take for instance SP. The episode was split fairly equally between the Doctor and Ida and Rose and the rest of the crew. If it was Stargate one filming crew would be filming the Doctor's scenes and the other Rose's. Not on Doctor Who.

Comment

ahh ok, that makes sense. ty

"what?"
                                *throat punch*

Comment

Working...
                                X