Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who (spoilers for any ep aired in the UK)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What, I've got to be in Britain to watch the new Dr. Who? That's major B.S.
    They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

I loved it Eccleston Ruled.
      Great idea for the
      Spoiler:
      Millenium Eye being used as a beacon for the nesting conciuosness

The scenes shown in the Dr Who special that was on an hour and a half before showed great Daleks. I cant wait.
      The first Dr Who ep I saw was the Trial of the Timelord with Colin Baker. Heres a thought they could do a the 4 doctors starring in it Colin Baker Sylvester McCoy and Peter Davidson.
      I can remeber the first Auton ep and that scared me real bad we got Uk Gold and I was six and I have never looked in a shop window the same way ever.
      Question why did they kill of the guy from the NAtion Wide Adverts (the Dr Who researcher) I liked him.
      The North bit was great but also the Plastic verison of Roses boyfreind was great too 'Pi...Pizza!!!'.
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

That was just brilliant. I'm so looking forward to next week.

I was nervy about CE, having only seen him act (a) a chap who saws the head off a corpse and attacks Ewan MacGregor with a drill, (b) a murderous rapist, and (c) Jude The Obscure. Hardly fun and frolics. He was really good though; he had a bit of the Tom Baker cheerful insanity and a little of Peter Davidson's sweetness, but he was very much a new entity all the same. BP was very good, I thought.

The wheelybin / plastic Mickey bit was really creepy, and really funny - just like Doctor Who should be. My four-year-old wasn't too scared by it, and he liked it masses, and so did Mr W. Even two of my sisters who never watch SF watched it and loved it.

(Funniest of all though was that everyone at church was on about it, and I don't recall anyone ever having a TV discussion at church since 1982 when Jesus Of Nazareth was shown, but it outranked Easter and The Weather as the old ladies' Hot Topic over the post-service coffees.)

And for some reason I totally thought of MC when that bit about The North came up...

Madeleine

Comment

Very interesting ep. I'll have to keep an eye on this series. Eccleston /The Doctor was brilliant. Not so sure about Billie Piper, but maybe that'll even out a bit more in time (ha).

Didn't like the boyfriend at all. He seemed very plastic even BEFORE he was eaten by the garbage bin. Dunno what it was... it's like he'd react... and then just hold that reaction until he said his lines... and then wait some more. He seemed stilted and unnatural. Could just be me, though.

As for why the time travel thing should be a selling point... I'll agree that part of it was that she had time to think it over... and depending on how quick on the uptake she is, it might have occurred to her that if he can travel through time, then she could theoretically run around with him for a few years and then be returned to the moment after she left.

I'd be curious if any time passed between when The Doctor left and when he reappeared.

Comment

I thought the moment when the plastic boyfriend got hit by the champagne cork was done well - with it firing into his forehead and the plastic simply absorbing it (the look on his face was pretty comical too). Shame they had him spitting it out afterwards, though. It may just have been me, but I thought they really didn't need to add that bit - it just looked a bit naff, and maybe a bit obvious, as well. Never mind, they made up for it when the Doctor pulled his head off. That was great fun.
            sigpic

Comment

I've just read in todays UK papers that there will be a host of toys released for Doctor Who including everyone's favourite villians The Daleks.

There is also talk of a Dr.Who Playstation game on the way as well.

Comment

Re the -reuniting the doctors thing. That looks unlikely at the moment as Russell Davies (?) is saying he wants this show to be standalone with no reference to the previous incarnations. From a marketing point of view I guess he wants to sell it as a capsule show with no baggage or history for fans to feel intimidated about catching up on. It's that "make it as easy and straightforward" or as I would say "as dumb and lazy to watch as you can so the audience needs no brain" thing. Wish they would get out of the reality tv mentality and think seroiusly about how intelligent their audience his.. even without getting to the adults the average 8 year old is smart and prettysavvy these days.. Why lower th bar... make it a challenge not a come down..

Sorry for the rant- dumbed down tv or media of any kind- even for kids is only going to bite us all in the bum a few generations later...

Anyhow I hope they reconcider their decision and think about us adults who do know the history and give us something to relate back to. After all we are the ones with the money to buy cds and other memorabilia...

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior
                  I've just read in todays UK papers that there will be a host of toys released for Doctor Who including everyone's favourite villians The Daleks.

There is also talk of a Dr.Who Playstation game on the way as well.
                  Playstation game? Please... please.. please.. to all the video game gods do not make it a platform game! Please... All tv and film licences make me nervous when converted to a game.... Can't see it as a shoot em up either (sonic screwdriver em up?) So what does it leave? A RPG? An adventure game? Hydrid of the two? Maybe a sort of sneak em up maybe?

Comment

Wowser that was quick!

It's official-been posted to the beeb site!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwh.../30/18213.shtml

Second season is go!

BBC commissions second season and Christmas special.

According to the Guardian, Jane Tranter has commissioned more Doctor Who. "I want to make Doctor Who again," she said. She claimed to be shocked by the first episode's popularity.

"I told myself I'd be completely and utterly thrilled if it got 6.5 million, but there was a little voice inside whispering '4.5 million'," she admitted.

She also revealed that the show had scored a good 81 out of 100 in audience appreciation research.

While other writers are still to be confirmed, Russell T Davies will be penning the 60 minute Christmas special.

"It's fantastic news," said Russell. "It's been a tense and jittery time because the production team has been working on plans for Series Two - scripts are being written already! - without ever knowing if it would ever get made. We could all have ended up unemployed. But now we can put all those plans into action and get going.

"It's particularly good for BBC Wales. This is a major flagship show for the region, and their staff and crews are the best you could find. It's a tribute to them that Doctor Who is returning. Cymru am byth!"

The figures have been touted between 9.5 million and 10.5 million. Whichever way it trounced Ant and Dec on the other side!

The 81 out of a 100 is really good apparently- anything between 75-80 is impressive! So 81 is even better!

Comment

Originally posted by BritAngie
                      Wowser that was quick!

It's official-been posted to the beeb site!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwh.../30/18213.shtml

Second season is go!

BBC commissions second season and Christmas special.

According to the Guardian, Jane Tranter has commissioned more Doctor Who. "I want to make Doctor Who again," she said. She claimed to be shocked by the first episode's popularity.

"I told myself I'd be completely and utterly thrilled if it got 6.5 million, but there was a little voice inside whispering '4.5 million'," she admitted.

She also revealed that the show had scored a good 81 out of 100 in audience appreciation research.

While other writers are still to be confirmed, Russell T Davies will be penning the 60 minute Christmas special.

"It's fantastic news," said Russell. "It's been a tense and jittery time because the production team has been working on plans for Series Two - scripts are being written already! - without ever knowing if it would ever get made. We could all have ended up unemployed. But now we can put all those plans into action and get going.

"It's particularly good for BBC Wales. This is a major flagship show for the region, and their staff and crews are the best you could find. It's a tribute to them that Doctor Who is returning. Cymru am byth!"

The figures have been touted between 9.5 million and 10.5 million. Whichever way it trounced Ant and Dec on the other side!

The 81 out of a 100 is really good apparently- anything between 75-80 is impressive! So 81 is even better!

That's the good news! Now for the bad news...

The Ninth Doctor is already kaput... Christopher Eccleston has opted out of the second series of Who, claiming a fear of typecasting. Personally, after hearing the guy interviewed a few times, I think he just wasn't prepared for how much work a Sci-Fi series would be, and how little time it would leave him for other things.

Rumour is that they are looking at David Tennant for Doc 10.

-IMF

EDIT: BBC Confirmation
                      Last edited by IMForeman; 30 March 2005, 03:14 PM. Reason: Added source
                      "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                      "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Nooooooooo! I like him already.

Madeleine

Comment

They have apprently filmed three endings to the first season, one in which the Doctor is exterminated by the Daleks.

Also they had to re-shoot the last episode in parts.

Its been in loads of newspapers this week - fans are also apparently boycotting the series.

Comment

Boycotting? Why?

Anyway, last night's was good. The Tree (who gave the Doctor a cutting from her grandfather ) was splendid, and all the other incidental characters were interesting. It's really odd to be watching something that really does feel like Doctor Who (the Zoe Wannamaker character was the sort of character only Who could come up with, and the Doctor already Feels Right) but that has proper SFX and not just egg boxes and tin-foil.

Madeleine

Comment

Apparently people are boycotting the show because of the fact he has decided to leave so early etc - its rather ridicolous (spelling isn't my strong point with big words)

Last nights was good as you said, I really liked all the aliens and it was interesting to see Roses reaction to it all - it was just a shock to her system. I liked the bit when they go back to Earth and are talking and Rose just comes out with "chips. I smell chips can you"

Comment

OK...

1. Chris Ecclestone is starting to become Dr Who for me in the way Pierce Brosnan is James Bond! Ah...bugger. He'll only be hanging around for one season won't he?

2. Definately liked the "You asked for it" line before whirring the dial more than a few times. Given that I'd have just stopped off 30 years in the future to start with...he was right. But still, the whole 'End of the World' thing did feel very unreal - as it was supposed to be.

3. F-k knows how that freak can call herself human. Could we really get that messed up? OK...we've got 5 billion years I guess!

4. So Galifrey is toast! Took a while for me to research how that happened but it certainly makes things interesting. Would mind visiting those events on screen though

Overall it still feels very unreal but I'm starting to get the feeling that that's par for the course(a mobile call crossing billions of years anyone?). Another thing I might need to get used to is that sermon thing at the end. Yeah...I know the Earth's going to get toasted someday, but as that day's 5 billion years away...

Other than that:

A damn good lead actor? Check!
                                Writers that know what they're doing? Check!
                                A clear Union Jack stuck on the front? Check!

Game on!
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X