Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who (spoilers for any ep aired in the UK)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Doctor Who I ever remember seeing was a repeat of the one with the Autons. Scared the hell out of me and for a while I had to avoid mannequins when we went shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
      I've just remembered what he used to be in - wasn't it that Channel 5 soap thing?

Hoping we don't have to see him or her mum again - but the Doctor...mmmm he was fantastic.
      He was in Auf Wiedersehn Pet as well. Something else with people from the North in

He wasn't very good at all, and her mum was extremely annoying. I'm just hoping there will be Daleks and lots of them in later episodes.
      The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
      The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
      Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
      Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
      An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
      Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

The next episode seems to include even more aliens which remind me of the good ol' days. Although the effects have improved by a long way, they still have that Dr. Who feel.

Comment

I saw Ep 1 via download here in the U.S. Liked it a bunch and was also happy that the theme song didn't change much. The fast-paced editing and sound is an interesting departure from classic Who.

Comment

Daleks coming in ep 6

I've booked my space behind the sofa.

But the aliens that really get me are the Cybermen...eek!
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
              Daleks coming in ep 6

I've booked my space behind the sofa.

But the aliens that really get me are the Cybermen...eek!
              When I was a kid I used to hide everytime the cybermen came on, I still find them really creepy now.

Comment

Well. just watched the first episode on BBC1 tonight and I am soo relieved. CE is perfect for the role of the doctor - and he reminds me slightly of Tom Baker - ie they were bth slightly manic. He's lovely too which always helps. I'll agree with what has been said about BP - I could almost hear the director saying look surprised, look curious, etc etc. But I hope she improves as the episodes progress. I wish they would bring back K9 - oooh how I wanted one of those!!!!

Comment

I loved the new Dr Who. CE is great as the doctor, really Quirky .

Its strange seeing Autons walking round Queens Arcade, a place i go to regualrly. It will be wierd next time I go...........i'll probably keep an eye out for any moving mannequins

Anyway, the show has the potential to be great, next weeks episode looks excellent.
                  "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

are they going to bring back the daleks

Comment

OK...

I'd gone through the Beeb's ep guide to the old school stuff and read a few of the books. This was of limited use.

First comment after the ep ended 'That was warped!' A while later, and my brain manages to analyse this stuff - but to do so I had to scratch all previous scifi reference points.

1. Nice work setting up Clive - I guess the Doctor was going to leave footprints somewhere.

2. Mad pacing at times.

3. Doctor's a cocky SOB but at least a compassionate one.

4. Mickey becoming a plastic thing happened completely differently to what I expected - why didn't the guy make any noise about his plight though?(OK, so 'Help, a large plastic bin thing has attached itself to my body and I can't break free' doesn't sound particularly sane but you get my drift)

5. The show contains one hell of a lot of London landmarks for something supposedly shot in Cardiff.

6. Only real nitpick. Doctor says 'Fancy joining me, we can go anywhere' Rose says 'No, I've got people to take care of here'. Doctor returns, says 'It can also travel in time' and Rose runs straight into the TARDIS! Why would time travel be more appealing to her than easy space travel?(she never mentioned an interest in history or anything)
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                        6. Only real nitpick. Doctor says 'Fancy joining me, we can go anywhere' Rose says 'No, I've got people to take care of here'. Doctor returns, says 'It can also travel in time' and Rose runs straight into the TARDIS! Why would time travel be more appealing to her than easy space travel?(she never mentioned an interest in history or anything)
                        Well, between the time he left and came back he had many adventures, some of which led him to evidence of Rose travelling with him, so he went back to get her.

-IMF
                        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Sure he's cocky, Matt - he's the Doctor.

Ecclestone is one of my favourite actors, usually I don't even register who he is, he's that good. And I certainly never letch him - but ... I don't know, in this maybe it's a combination of it being Dr Who (who have never been gorgeous), in the present, the fact that he didn't immediately chuck the anti-plastic into the consciousness was great.

The only possible tiny nitpick that you might be persuaded to drag out of me is that it was only 45 minutes - which would have been ok if some things hadn't seemed a little rushed, and (I'm thinking of the bit with Rose and daft bf at the TARDIS) others seemed to go on too long.

And who would turn down time travel? I think Rose hesitated because she really wasn't sure what the Doctor was offering - but after he'd gone she'd had another 30 seconds or so to calm down and realise that she had nothing to stay for.

Still grinning about it this morning. I am really really happy to have this back.

sigpic

Comment

Hey, where is everyone watching new Dr. Who? I didn't even know there was such a thing. It's been, what, twenty years?

Wow. Please tell me it hasn't been twenty years...

Anyway. I've always wondered why the Sci-Fi channel doesn't run Dr. Who re-runs. That should be a crime.

I do remember that the reason I stopped watching back in those years was because I was outraged that they had fixed the chameleon device on the TARDIS. Is it still fixed?
                            They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

In today's British Papers well one of them can't remember which one there is some new shots of the Daleks. I'll put this as a spoiler incase no-one has heard or wants to know
                              Spoiler:
                              The Daleks can now hover up stairs - the paper said in the old Dr.Who's the doctor could escape by running up some stairs - now he can't

If anyone wants I can scan the new images in later this evening.

Also on the BBC website Sylvester McCoy who played the Doctor before it was axed in 1989 has reviewed the new episode: Here is the link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/4380477.stm

Comment

Originally posted by the dude
                                Hey, where is everyone watching new Dr. Who? I didn't even know there was such a thing. It's been, what, twenty years?
                                We've been watching it on BBC1. The first new Dr. Who for... well, yonks and yonks and yonks.

And it was brilliant.

sorry for rubbing it in.

Dalek spoilers
                                Spoiler:
                                they've been able to hover for ages - can't remember when it was, but they got the ability to move around outside. Was it Invasion Earth or something? But you can still beat them by chucking a coat over their heads

Over at h2g2 there is a real ruckus about the bit where Graham Norton suddenly came on the audio
                                Last edited by Major Clanger; 07 April 2005, 10:23 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X