No announcement yet.

Fox developing an American version of Torchwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the problem is he's an 900 year old alien, who for the American audience had to be turned at least partly human because damn, you can just relate to a 900 year old time travelling alien when he's at least half human.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      I think the problem is he's an 900 year old alien, who for the American audience had to be turned at least partly human because damn, you can just relate to a 900 year old time travelling alien when he's at least half human.
      If that is the reason then its a stupid one

Comment

Could have been worse, He may have been an American sounding "Half human on my mother's side" time travelling alien.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          Could have been worse, He may have been an American sounding "Half human on my mother's side" time travelling alien.
          I think that would have made sense. Still I do not see quite what the problem was, he admitted he was half human, I doubt there was very much of a chance for him to admit that he was in the past.

Comment

I'm not sure if captain jack will be more than a 'in the pilot then gone' guest star. and i agree, if he stays they'd have to deliberately not mention his sexuality - so they'd have to tone him down or only have him hit on women to give the heterosexual impression.

likely they can't afford to have barrowman full time so it'll be full of pretty young things and an overabundance of cgi monsters
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

With Jack, I can either seem them completely ignoring the fact he's bi or worse, completely embrace it to the point where they've turned it from "yeah, he's into men. so what?" to "hey, look at him, he's into men".

I want him to stay Captain Jack

Not turn into Captain Jack
              Last edited by SaberBlade; 24 January 2010, 07:34 AM. Reason: fixing image link

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                For ****S SAKE!

And yes, I know that'll get censored.

Why does everything decent that is OURS have to get raped by US television. Seriously. Torchwood is inherently British, and what's more, inherently Welsh. It's the core identity of the show. I'm not sure which I find more offensive, the idea of simply a US version, or a canonical US version with the same characters. The US dominates Sci Fi, why does it have to dominate British sci fi as well? Torchwood is a British concept, both the show and the fictional institution, unless there's a Torchwood colonial branch in the US working to revoke America's independence, then the whole concept os frankly ********.
                well and as torchwood is in thoery an secret arm of the UK with the aim of protecting the empire - will they be trying to return the colonials to British rule ? well its one way to get national healthcare sorted.
                ----------------------------
                You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  It would be done in Vancouver, with the same pool of actors and locations we've been watching for years...and i bet there'll be a 'something from the rift makes them horny' episode in the first half dozen.
                  Oddly, my biggest fear is that it would be done in Vancouver. Nothing against the place, except that it's been the setting for every US SF/F thing I ever watched except the Whedon shows. It makes them all look a bit samey. Every alien planet is made of woods containing a boring sort of tree, and all the small towns look the same.

As to the rights and wrongs of an American 'franchise' of TW, I've no complaints. Doctor Who is sacred of course - the DW universe has to be based on a British version of outer space - but AFAIC TW can be loaned out to anyone who wants to have a go at it, and good luck to them. I'll watch with interest, if it ever gets off the ground.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    Would it be so awesome? Because I imagine the whole omni sexual part of Capt Jack's personality would be removed for American audiences.
                    Um I thought that was the entire team that where BI, ok Gwen just had a good snog so she might just be strieght and Suzi died in the first episode.
                    You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Well with any luck nothing'll come of this.

Does anyone else remember Red Dwarf USA?
                      I saw about six mins of it.

I havnt been the same since
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                        I saw about six mins of it.

I havnt been the same since
                        did you see the clip of the Americqn Pilot of Dads Army they showed a while back

Comment

Remember the US clone of 'Men Behaving Badly'. *gag*
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

It's funny, the most successful shows from the UK to US are either The Office, a show that has no real plot or Simon Cowell's **** show, shows that have no real talent. I think America fails when it can't do anything of real enjoyment and pleasure to watch.

Doesn't give me much hope for Torchwood.

sigpic

Comment

You know, reading this thread made me think "I'd much rather see John Barrowman playing John Taylor in a TV version of Simon R Green's 'Nightside' series than a US version of Torchwood.... Maybe with Anthony Stewart Head playing Walker..."

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                                I'd rather not have a US version of TW, I may live here but It doesn't mean I like it.
                                Oh, I agree! This is a horrible idea! And I normally for US remakes, I'm like what the heck why not, but in this case it's really really bad. The best thing about TW is that it crosses the line, of you never know what to expected( okay, the show doesn't even have a line any more but that's what makes so awesome.) but to bring TW over to US verison is BAD! They going to make it more viewer friendly and who knows what else and it will only become a hideous carbon copy of the original.
                                sigpic There are my dogs!

If you had to chose, die or watch the world die, what would you pick?"

Comment

Working...
                                X