Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood News, Articles, Cast and Crew Interviews (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly I'm not really all that worried, for two reasons.

First is that this seems to be a Starz-first production. So it would seem to me that the great numbers it got there are what really counts.

Second is that I kind of think Torchwood has run its course. Honestly I would have been completely satisfied with Torchwood's run if it had ended with the fantastic final episode of Children of Earth. Miracle Day is just a great big 10-episode bonus for me, so if this is the end then so be it. I won't mind a bit, because it's been a great ride
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Torchwood: Appreciation Index
      Sunday, July 17, 2011 - Posted by Marcus

The UK premier of Torchwood: The New World had an Appreciation Index score of 85.

The Appreciation Index or AI score measures how much the audience enjoyed the programme. The scores are based on the comments of a panel of around 5,000 people who rate and comment on programmes.

A score of 85 is regarded as excellent.

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...reciation.html

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Rendition: Starz ratings
        Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

Initial audience figures have been released for the second episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day shown on Starz, and indicate that an average of 1.4m viewers watched Rendition over its airings across the weekend. The première broadcast on Friday at 10:00pm was watched by 609,000 viewers. This compares with 819,000 viewers for The New World on its premier broadcast, and an average of 2m across the opening weekend.

Starz have also reported that the total audience for The New World reached 2.7m viewers once the additional weekday airings and the Live+3 DVR data have been included.

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...z-ratings.html

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Ouch.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Ouch.
            I'm no expert on what counts as good ratings for the US but from your reaction I take it they're not the best? Hmmm. Between America and the UK, Torchwood doesn't seem to be shining very brightly numbers-wise and that the show could potentially do with a Miracle Day of its own in the ratings department. I believe that Camelot was recently cancelled by Starz based on its ratings which were about the same as what Torchwood got for Episode 2 in the US I think. If the ratings continue dropping that way for Torchwood over the next 8 weeks and if Starz have an idea of what they know as good numbers...the show could go the way Camelot went. Same with the BBC too.

Comment

Plus is also depends on how expensive TW is versus Camelot. And supposedly Camelot was also canned because of scheduling problems with the actors.

I won't be too sad if this is it though. Granted I only started watching TW a couple of months ago (well I did see CoE back when it aired), but I was a fan of Jack ever since I first saw him on DW way back when the series began again. I'll be happy as long as Jack pops up on DW every now and then.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

BBC Cuts Steamy 'Torchwood' Scenes

"Torchwood" has received a minor beating from fans in the United Kingdom over creative decisions made this season as well as the BBC's decision to air the series after it is broadcast in the United States, but now that will only intensify with news that scenes have been removed from the series after being deemed too inappropriate for a UK audience.

According to The Sun newspaper, the BBC has revealed that an upcoming episode on Starz will feature Capt. Jack having gay sex with a bar tender but that same episode will be toned down and will not feature that scene. The newspaper claims that a source has revealed the scene was believed to be too graphic to be allowed to air on BBC One despite the "Torchwood" airtime being after the watershed.

"It wasn't that it was a gay scene that worried people, but just the fact that it was such an explicit sex scene full stop," the newspaper claimed. "You can get away with scenes like that on American cable channels, but you can't on primetime BBC One."

Sex is nothing new to "Torchwood." In fact, it was its open attitude to sex that attracted many viewers to the show when it first launched on BBC Three. Unlike other science-fiction shows, "Torchwood" never shied away from sexual themes with Jack Harkness being an open omni-sexual (meaning he will happily have sex with men, women and aliens).

The second season took a more refined approach to the topic when the show made the leap from the multi-platform channel and onto BBC Two, however the same sexual overtones remained. By season three, when the show aired as part of prime-time BBC One, the series had settled on well defined relationships (of varying orientations).

It appears though that the scene would have "shocked" fans and could have turned viewers away from the series. However, the source also admits that the U.S. version of the series is different from the version airing in the United Kingdom ... something that writer Jane Espenson also revealed on Twitter last week as she tweeted live during the UK premiere.

"Don't know if we're watching slightly different edits. Not even sure I'm watching the U.S. broadcast version – might be a directors cut," she tweeted while the episode aired.

In addition to the sexy scene that was deemed to risqué for television, the BBC version will also be missing a violent scene that will air as part of the Starz presentation.

"The UK and U.S. versions of 'Torchwood' are slightly different," a BBC spokesperson said. "However, these differences do not change the story in any way and the strong storylines are first and foremost to the series."

No gay sex for you!

Comment

I'm not too concerned with missing the gay sex scene, but I am very curious as to what could be so bad they'd think is too violent. We've already saw a man get his burnt head cut off in a medical examination.

sigpic

Comment

Barrowman wants role in Doctor Who 50th
                    Saturday 23 July 2011

Torchwood star John Barrowman has announced that he wants to star in a Doctor Who 50th anniversary special in 2013.

The 44-year-old stated during the Torchwood Comic-Con panel in San Diego that he would "love" Captain Jack to celebrate the sci-fi milestone alongside Matt Smith's Time Lord.

"'Torchwood' and Captain Jack were born from the mother ship, which I always called and referenced as 'Doctor Who'," he said. "I think it would be an interesting thing. I would love to do it.

"If Matt was welcome to it, because he is The Doctor now, I think it would be great. I think it would be a different kind of dynamic there with Jack and The Doctor. So, yes, I'm totally up for it."

Barrowman added that he has already spoken to current 'Doctor Who' boss Steven Moffat and his predecessor Russell T Davies about the prospect.

"I think it would be disappointing for the 50th anniversary not to have a character like Jack in that show," he said. "Russell thinks it would be a good idea, I've spoken to Steven about it."

Barrowman also spoke of his gratitude at being able to continue playing Captain Jack for so long, and identified the time as his "dream" role.

"I love playing Jack, whether with 'Torchwood' or making an appearance on 'Doctor Who'," he added. "It's the best coat I could put on every morning. When I was cast as Captain Jack, I thought it would be five episodes of 'Doctor Who'. I thought that was it.

"It was a dream job for me and [Torchwood co-star] Eve [Myles] and then when they said they wanted to do a spin-off show, it was just like being handed our dream job on a platter. We never ever thought we'd be sitting here among people like you. "

Link to original article here: http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0723/barrowmanj.html

Comment

Torchwood: Episode 1 Final ratings
                      Monday, July 25, 2011 - Posted by Marcus

Episode One of Torchwood: Miracle Day had a final official rating of 6.59 million viewers according to figures released by BARB.

The programme was the 8th highest rated on BBC One for the week. The final result includes those who recorded the programme and watched it within 7 days. It does not include those watching on iPlayer. The rating is almost exactly the same as the first episode of the last series of Torchwood, Children of Earth, which had a final rating of 6.47 million on BBC One with an additional 0.13 million watching on BBC HD.

Meanwhile Episode Two had an AI score of 85, the same as that for Episode One.

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...episode-1.html

Comment

Considering how much Barrowman has talked about doing Who lately, it would be a shame for him not to do it. There is also going to be a time when he can't play the character due to his age (unless they give him regenerations or something) so I think he should be in the 50th Anniversary.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          Considering how much Barrowman has talked about doing Who lately, it would be a shame for him not to do it. There is also going to be a time when he can't play the character due to his age (unless they give him regenerations or something) so I think he should be in the 50th Anniversary.
                          Well John, Steven, and Russell have all talked about Jack returning to Doctor Who from what I understand...now they just need to walk the walk.
                          As for John's age. Its not a factor. He can age all he wants. At the end of Last of the Time Lords, Jack mentions he's getting older:
                          Originally posted by Captain Jack Harkness
                          "The odd little grey hair, ya know".
                          He just ages at a different rate to us.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            BBC Cuts Steamy 'Torchwood' Scenes

"Torchwood" has received a minor beating from fans in the United Kingdom over creative decisions made this season as well as the BBC's decision to air the series after it is broadcast in the United States, but now that will only intensify with news that scenes have been removed from the series after being deemed too inappropriate for a UK audience.

According to The Sun newspaper, the BBC has revealed that an upcoming episode on Starz will feature Capt. Jack having gay sex with a bar tender but that same episode will be toned down and will not feature that scene. The newspaper claims that a source has revealed the scene was believed to be too graphic to be allowed to air on BBC One despite the "Torchwood" airtime being after the watershed.

"It wasn't that it was a gay scene that worried people, but just the fact that it was such an explicit sex scene full stop," the newspaper claimed. "You can get away with scenes like that on American cable channels, but you can't on primetime BBC One."

Sex is nothing new to "Torchwood." In fact, it was its open attitude to sex that attracted many viewers to the show when it first launched on BBC Three. Unlike other science-fiction shows, "Torchwood" never shied away from sexual themes with Jack Harkness being an open omni-sexual (meaning he will happily have sex with men, women and aliens).

The second season took a more refined approach to the topic when the show made the leap from the multi-platform channel and onto BBC Two, however the same sexual overtones remained. By season three, when the show aired as part of prime-time BBC One, the series had settled on well defined relationships (of varying orientations).

It appears though that the scene would have "shocked" fans and could have turned viewers away from the series. However, the source also admits that the U.S. version of the series is different from the version airing in the United Kingdom ... something that writer Jane Espenson also revealed on Twitter last week as she tweeted live during the UK premiere.

"Don't know if we're watching slightly different edits. Not even sure I'm watching the U.S. broadcast version – might be a directors cut," she tweeted while the episode aired.

In addition to the sexy scene that was deemed to risqué for television, the BBC version will also be missing a violent scene that will air as part of the Starz presentation.

"The UK and U.S. versions of 'Torchwood' are slightly different," a BBC spokesperson said. "However, these differences do not change the story in any way and the strong storylines are first and foremost to the series."

No gay sex for you!
                            I didn't think said "steamy sex scenes" were that steamy...they made a light mist at most...
                            sigpic

Comment

Starz: future Torchwood not assured
                              Friday, July 29, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

Even though ratings for the first few episodes of Torchwood: Miracle Day have proven reasonable for both Starz and the BBC, this has never been a guarantee that a fifth series of the show will automatically be commissioned.

Speaking to reporters at the TV Critics Show, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht has clarified their position, explaining:

Torchwood is not one of the shows we went into thinking about a yearly return. It’s about Russell T Davies - he has a lot of things on his plate. If Torchwood is not at the top of his list, that will affect the future of Torchwood.

Davies previously indicated that he had been considering moving onto other projects after Miracle Day's production was completed - in February he told BBC Wales Today:

It's interesting as to how long I can stay in the science fiction world. Personally I think I'm coming to the end of it now and I've saved the world and blown up the world too many times, and I hope I leave Torchwood in rude health, and then I'll probably move onto something else then.

It's time to write something just where people talk in kitchens, at least for me. But I hope we literally leave the franchise in in a very strong position that other writers come in and take it over.

Subsequently, Davies has been reported as developing a new show for Showtime, entitled Cucumber. However, with over half of Miracle Day still to be transmitted (episode four, Escape to L.A., premièring tonight on Starz), Torchwood's future cannot be written off quite yet!

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...torchwood.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                                Starz: future Torchwood not assured
                                Friday, July 29, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

Even though ratings for the first few episodes of Torchwood: Miracle Day have proven reasonable for both Starz and the BBC, this has never been a guarantee that a fifth series of the show will automatically be commissioned.

Speaking to reporters at the TV Critics Show, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht has clarified their position, explaining:

Torchwood is not one of the shows we went into thinking about a yearly return. It’s about Russell T Davies - he has a lot of things on his plate. If Torchwood is not at the top of his list, that will affect the future of Torchwood.

Davies previously indicated that he had been considering moving onto other projects after Miracle Day's production was completed - in February he told BBC Wales Today:

It's interesting as to how long I can stay in the science fiction world. Personally I think I'm coming to the end of it now and I've saved the world and blown up the world too many times, and I hope I leave Torchwood in rude health, and then I'll probably move onto something else then.

It's time to write something just where people talk in kitchens, at least for me. But I hope we literally leave the franchise in in a very strong position that other writers come in and take it over.

Subsequently, Davies has been reported as developing a new show for Showtime, entitled Cucumber. However, with over half of Miracle Day still to be transmitted (episode four, Escape to L.A., premièring tonight on Starz), Torchwood's future cannot be written off quite yet!

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...torchwood.html
                                Well that doesn't sound too good.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X