Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood News, Articles, Cast and Crew Interviews (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so p*ssed off at the BBC showing Torchwood a whole week after everyone else, that I'm going to complain. I know it won't do the slightest bit of good but I need to make my feeling known about this.

Link here http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/ if anyone else feels like doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      I am so p*ssed off at the BBC showing Torchwood a whole week after everyone else, that I'm going to complain. I know it won't do the slightest bit of good but I need to make my feeling known about this.

Link here http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/ if anyone else feels like doing the same.
      Done and done. I've asked for a reply too.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Next Time: The New World
        Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

The BBC have now updated their programme information for Week 28 with details of Torchwood: Miracle Day's first episode, The New World, which will première in the UK on BBC1/BBC1HD at 9:00pm, 14th July.

Read the synopsis - contains spoilers for Episode One:
        Spoiler:
        One day, nobody dies. All across the world, nobody dies. And then the next day, and the next, and the next, people keep ageing – they get hurt and sick, but they never die. The result: a population boom, overnight.

With all the extra people, resources are finite. It’s said that in four month's time, the human race will cease to be viable. But this can’t be a natural event – someone’s got to be behind it. It’s a race against time as CIA agent Rex Matheson investigates a global conspiracy. The answers lie within an old, secret British institute. As Rex keeps asking: "What is Torchwood?", he’s drawn into a world of adventure, and a threat to change what it means to be human ... for ever.

In the launch episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day, Agent Rex Matheson is impaled in a car crash and miraculously survives, while his analyst, Esther Drummond, sets out to discover what Torchwood is. Far away, in Wales, Gwen Cooper lives in hiding with her husband Rhys and daughter Anwen – she’s the last surviving Torchwood member and is determined to stay hidden. In Kentucky, convicted murderer Oswald Danes survives his own execution. And when Esther meets the mysterious Captain Jack Harkness, assassins are activated to kill them all...

Last week, Doctor Who Magazine editor Tom Spilsbury commented on Twitter that there would be slightly different versions of Miracle Day for the US and UK broadcast, adding yesterday that "they haven't started with one 'master version' and cut it for the UK. They've prepared two parallel edits for different markets." Russell T Davies had previously mentioned in his interview with Front Row that Jack is a 'childrens hero', and clarifies in the new Issue 436 of DWM that 'racier' scenes might be edited for a BBC audience.

Attendees at last week's BFI preview had reported that The New World seemed longer than the fifty minutes originally reported in the Cannes press release; this is also confirmed in DWM, with UK episodes expected to run for some 54 minutes whereas episodes on Starz would run for 50-51 minutes. Davies pointed out that this isn't a cut to the US version, but extra material added to the UK one!

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/06...new-world.html
        Last edited by Alan; 29 June 2011, 11:39 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Argh, that's so dumb
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Torchwood: Miracle Day - BBC Trailer
            July 1st, 2011

The BBC have released a 40-second trailer for the up and coming fourth series of Torchwood - Miracle Day

It is due to première on BBC1 and BBC1HD on July 14th at 9pm.
            Last edited by Alan; 01 July 2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Complaint lodged.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

They (the BBC) really are dumb sometimes, anybody, and I mean anybody more than remotely interested in watching this will torrent/newgroup the Starz episode Friday morning and not bother waiting for it to air a week later here, you don't aim a tv show at a group totally clued up on the workings of the WWW and make them wait, they won't.

Idiots, they should have aired it the Friday or Saturday after Starz, and no doubt they will cry like babies over the viewership figures being so low.

Comment

Is the Starz version supposed to be stepping it up a notch in terms of mature content compared to previous seasons of Torchwood?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                    Is the Starz version supposed to be stepping it up a notch in terms of mature content compared to previous seasons of Torchwood?
                    Right now the hype machine is still in Go-mode so from all I've read and at this present moment in time the answer to your question is "yes". That answer may very well change.

Comment

Got my DVR set for Friday!
                      sigpic

Comment

Torchwood - BBC Schedule Complaint
                        July 5th, 2011

Personal Message: Fellow UK fans of Torchwood:
                        I recently sent in a complaint to the BBC regarding my dissatisfaction and upset at the weeks gap between the US and UK broadcasts of Season 4 of Torchwood. Yesterday (4th July), at approx. 4pm GMT, I received an email from the BBC in response to my complaint.

The BBC said:
                        "We are pleased to announce that Torchwood will return to BBC One at 21.00 on Thursday 14 July.

Starz in the US have the contractual right to the World Premiere, that relates to the deal that was done and ultimately this has created better value for licence fee payers.

Contractually, the broadcasters in other territories can transmit from the next day onwards but being as close to the transmission in the US is not the only factor in the scheduling decision. We have identified what we think is the best slot for BBC One viewers and have also ensured that it's within a week of transmission in the US.
                        "
                        -----------------------------------------------------------------

It is still an incredibly ridiculous situation and the contract mentioned in the above reply is ridiculous. I am certain that the BBC could have found a far, far better date for the UK broadcast could have been found. Given technology and how people blab away on-line and forget spoiler-tags...I doubt it will be easy to stay spoiler-free for that weeks gap between the US and UK broadcast unless people stay off-line from all Doctor Who and Torchwood fan websites, forums, and avoid all on-line reviews for the next 10-weeks.

- Alan

Comment

Airlock Alpha whines about the first episode of series 4.

Fortunately, I've never actually read an AA op/ed where Hinman was actually right about anything, so it probably means the first episode back will be great.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Radio Times Cover: Forget Hollywood, here's Torchwood
                            Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

The latest edition of the Radio Times (9th-15th July 2011) features a front cover dedicated to Torchwood: Miracle Day, which premières on BBC1(HD) on 14th July 2011.

The issue features a three page article on the show, which features comments from executive producers Russell T Davies, Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter on Torchwood's arrival in Hollywood, plus writer Jane Espenson, Captain Jack himself John Barrowman and Eve Myles aka Gwen Cooper.

Russell: The audience will see that Captain Jack is darker, but he’s still got his wit. The journey he goes on is extremely different from the journey he’s been on before. It’s absolutely, jaw-droppingly exciting.

Julie: We wanted to do more episodes, we wanted to find a way to tell a bigger length of story, and all of that thinking coincided with us being in America.

The première also features prominently as one of Thursday's choices, as well as the usual synopsis and cast details on the channel listing for BBC1 at 9:00pm.

There is also a behind-the-scenes video on the Radio Times website featuring John Barrowman and Eve Myles as they step back into costume for the Radio Times cover shoot and talk about the new series.

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...er-forget.html
                            Last edited by Alan; 07 March 2017, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              Torchwood - BBC Schedule Complaint
                              July 5th, 2011

Personal Message: Fellow UK fans of Torchwood:
                              I recently sent in a complaint to the BBC regarding my dissatisfaction and upset at the weeks gap between the US and UK broadcasts of Season 4 of Torchwood. Yesterday (4th July), at approx. 4pm GMT, I received an email from the BBC in response to my complaint.

The BBC said:
                              "We are pleased to announce that Torchwood will return to BBC One at 21.00 on Thursday 14 July.

Starz in the US have the contractual right to the World Premiere, that relates to the deal that was done and ultimately this has created better value for licence fee payers.

Contractually, the broadcasters in other territories can transmit from the next day onwards but being as close to the transmission in the US is not the only factor in the scheduling decision. We have identified what we think is the best slot for BBC One viewers and have also ensured that it's within a week of transmission in the US.
                              "
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------

It is still an incredibly ridiculous situation and the contract mentioned in the above reply is ridiculous. I am certain that the BBC could have found a far, far better date for the UK broadcast could have been found. Given technology and how people blab away on-line and forget spoiler-tags...I doubt it will be easy to stay spoiler-free for that weeks gap between the US and UK broadcast unless people stay off-line from all Doctor Who and Torchwood fan websites, forums, and avoid all on-line reviews for the next 10-weeks.

- Alan
                              This is always going to be the problem when it comes to a show from one country being funded (in part) by another. Just as the BBC is required to make sure TV Licence payers get their value for money (which they've been failing at for the past few years), Starz probably has to do the same thing for it's subscribers.

The question is, how much did Starz pay to produce the show, and was it really necessary to use outside funding and film in the US when Cardiff has worked fine for Torchwood (and Who, and Sarah Jane) in the past. I'm annoyed as hell about it, but we're talking about a channel that thinks 4 episodes of Eastenders a week is a good idea, yet 13 Who episodes a year seems to have given then budget concerns for 2012. No surprise they'd go to another network for help.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Airlock Alpha whines about the first episode of series 4.

Fortunately, I've never actually read an AA op/ed where Hinman was actually right about anything, so it probably means the first episode back will be great.
                              The fact he seems to consider Spaceballs a bad movie "In fandom, we always think of Pullman in 'Independence Day' or even worse, 'Spaceballs,'" makes me believe this guy has no clue what he's on about. It and Blazing Saddles my top Mel Brooks films.

sigpic

Comment

Following in the path of Showtime, which isn’t making new originals available for streaming at all, Starz will begin holding back its original series for 90 days before they are available for streaming on Netflix.

The hold back on originals begins effective with Starz’ Camelot which is set to debut on Starz on April 1, and will include all original series, including Torchwood: Miracle Day.
                                link
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X