Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood News, Articles, Cast and Crew Interviews (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Torchwood' Will Remain Faithful To 'Doctor Who'

Despite being a spinoff, "Torchwood" has always respected the mother series that gave it life. And The Doctor has always been a central point in Capt. Jack's life.

However, when "Torchwood" returns for its fourth season as a joint venture with an American cable channel, the show may be seen to stand a little more apart from "Doctor Who" as it continues to evolve and tell its own stories without The Doctor's influence.

"It’s quite difficult to coordinate any sort of crossover," series creator Russell T. Davies told Ology. "Neither would you want to, because both shows have a fantastic identity of their own. But for those fans who like that sort of stuff, it’s still absolutely faithful."

What does this mean exactly? Well, "Miracle Day" is likely to be of a similar nature to "Children Of Earth" - a self-sustaining adventure that operates within the existing mythology of the greater Doctor Who universe. In the 2009 miniseries, homage was paid to "Doctor Who" by way of a video message recorded by Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles) who ponders why Earth was abandoned by The Doctor in its time of need.

In the new season, the Earth will again face a global threat that will shatter the very meaning of human existence ... everyone will live forever. No one grows old, no one dies and everyone continues their life at the age they are now.

"Capt. Jack is immortal, and what we are talking about is the world turns immortal," Davies said. "There’s an awful lot of story packed into that ... There’s no break in continuity. There’s no fracturing. There’s fewer references to 'Doctor Who,' because we are making a show out here [in the United States], they are making a show in Britain."

No airdate has been confirmed for the series, but shooting on the 10-part series is already underway. The series is expected to be broadcast on BBC One and Starz in the summer.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/8183/to...octor-who.html
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Link to current film location pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=32774129515

Thank you Torchwood! for posting them.
      sigpic

Comment

Russell T Davies talks Torchwood
        Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

Torchwood writer/executive producer Russell T Davies has spoken to BBC Wales Today about the forthcoming series and how he sees the future.

Its brilliant to return to Torchwood - in a way for me Torchwood never went away because it always lives in my head, really. The chance to take those characters, take Eve Myles's character Gwen Cooper and obviously Captain Jack, played by John Barrowman. It's their fourth year of stories now, it's kind of like they have become modern legends, I love that. And I think people of Wales have enjoyed it, everyone's in on the story, they're kind of in on the fun of it all, it's great to keep going.

And on what he'll do afterwards:

It's interesting as to how long I can stay in the science fiction world. Personally I think I'm coming to the end of it now and I've saved the world and blown up the world too many times, and I hope I leave Torchwood in rude health, and then I'll probably move onto something else then

It's time to write something just where people talk in kitchens, at least for me. But I hope we literally leave the franchise in in a very strong position that other writers come in and take it over.

You can watch the full interview online, and on BBC Wales Today tonight.

As reported earlier in the week, actor William Thomas returns to Torchwood playing Gwen's father Geraint. Russell T Davies confirmed in his interview (above) that Gwen's mother Mary is indeed back too, with actress Sharon Morgan reprising her role.

Since her previous appearance in Something Borrowed, like Thomas she has appeared in both Belonging (Nancy) and Alys (Lisabeth)!

Another member of the cast spotted at filming over the weekend was Ian Hughes (pictured); this was confirmed by his Spotlight listing as playing a character named Ralph Finch; the actor has played roles in Holby City, Casualty, Gavin and Stacey and Robin Hood, and is also a voice-over artist and drama coach.

Two other supporting actors recently mentioned their upcoming appearances online: Martin James Fox reported on Facebook: "Look out for me, as an extra in a police uniform being for the Monday evening filming. Am excited about the prospect of 'spectacular action'"; Graham Burton revealed his rendezvous with the show via Twitter: "I'm travelling down to Cardiff on Monday - filming Torchwood early Tuesday!"

Californian actor's workshop The Actor's Key have reported that Hymnson Chan is a co-star on the show; the actor/stuntman has appeared Greek and performed stunts in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. The Internet Movie Database has also listed Brian Guest appearing in the show as Alexander Peterssen, and Denny Torich as "Prison Guard".

With the first three weeks of the shoot now completed and the fourth week well under way, information on the production team involved with the shoot has slowly emerged. Russell T Davies is, of course, the brainchild behind the series, and he is an Executive Producer alongside Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter, plus Vlad Wolynetz on the BBC Worldwide front. Producer in the US is Kelly Manners (Dollhouse, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and her UK counterpart is the previously reported Brian Minchin (who previously helmed The Sarah Jane Adventures); line producer in the UK is Debbi Slater (who most recently worked on the BBC's continuation of Upstairs Downstairs).

Directors currently assigned are Bharat Nalluri (Spooks, Hustle) for episode one and Bill Gierhart (Sons of Anarchy, The Shield) for episode two; Director of Photography is Nathaniel Goodman (Heroes). Production design is by Gregory Melton (The Walking Dead) in the US and Ed Thomas (the original Torchwood designer!) in the UK. Visual Effects are supervised by Eric McAvoy (True Blood, CSI).

Costumes are handled by Shanwa Trpcic (Dollhouse) in the US with Alana Stone (fashions), with the UK side handled by Lindsay Bonaccorsi with Maria Franchi (both old hand with Doctor Who). Makeup comes under the purvue of Todd McIntosh (Detroit 1-8-7, Pushing Daisies) in the US and Claire Pritchard Jones (Sherlock, Gavin and Stacey in the UK.

Other UK crew include Gareth Skelding (Location Manager), Paul Davies (Production Unit Manager), Sam Baker (Production Co-Ordinator), and James North (design), plus practical effects from Danny Hargreaves and Real SFX.

The writers of the show are currently known to be Russell T Davies (1/10), Doris Egan (2), Jane Espenson (3,5,7,8), Ryan Scott (8), and John Shiban (6). The writers for two episodes (4,9) are currently unknown.

(The Doctor Who News Page will shortly be launching a full series summary for the show)

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/02...ies-talks.html

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

"Bad Wolf" returns!
          Thursday, February 03, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

An old name has emerged associated with the production of Torchwood!

Bad Wolf Productions LLC is the company name that was registered by BBC Worldwide Americas Inc in the United States on the 16th September 2010, and has now appeared on documentation relating to filming currently taking place in Los Angeles.

The use of the name is an in-joke by the production team - it originally featured in the first series of the revived Doctor Who, also masterminded of course by Russell T Davies. It featured throughout that series and was ultimately unveiled as a message sent back through time by the Doctor's companion, Rose Tyler: "I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words. I scatter them ... in time, and space. A message to lead myself here."

The company name has provided links to a couple more members of the production team:

Jill Rytie Lutz's online CV with business connnections site Linkedin indicates that she is Travel Coordinator, and joined the production in January (when filming began); prior to this she worked in a similar capacity for The Event, and has been involved in other production capacities for projects like Beneath The Blue, Deadland and We Were Soldiers

The site also cites Paris Pickard as Art Department Coordinator (from November 2010); in her entry she says: "I'm on the BBC TV show Torchwood shooting at Warner Brother's Studios.". Her previous credits include Angels and Demons, Pushing Daisies and Frost Nixon.

Finally, with action ramping up once more in the United States, some of the production team have resumed their hints of activity on set during the production via Twitter, including providing us with faces for some of the names involved!

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/t...neespenson.jpg
          Jane Espenson (writer episodes 3, 5, 7, 8)

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/t.../dorisegan.jpg
          Doris Egan (writer episode 2)

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/t...stone-crew.jpg
          Alana Stone: your Torchwood set costumers Joey, Eddie and I... who is gonna bail us out?
          (with thanks to The Torchwood Production Team)

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/02...f-returns.html

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Wayne Knight to appear in Torchwood?

Wayne Knight to guest star in Torchwood?

According to clues left by the Torchwood production office, actor Wayne Knight is to guest star in an episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day.

Knight is most notable for playing Dennis Nedry in Jurassic Park and Newman in Seinfeld.

A twitter message posted by the BBC Torchwood account on Monday evening gave us our first clue:
            "We've got Alexa Havins here with us today with a special guest, here's a clue "uh uh uh didn't say the magic word""

Costumer Alana Stone later tweeted another:
            ""Dodgson! Dodgson! We've got Dodgson here! See? Nobody cares. Nice hat!""

At the moment the production office has only been releasing clues as to who the special guest is, and it has not been made clear if Wayne Knight was actually on set filming for Torchwood.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

'Torchwood's' Eve Myles Talks Gwen, Motherhood and 'Miracle Day' (VIDEO)
              by Maureen Ryan, posted Feb 21st 2011 3:30PM

'Torchwood,' which follows the adventures of a tight-knit team fighting alien threats, has gone through a lot of changes over the years, but two things have remained constant: Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper.

The new season of the compelling sci-fi drama, which arrives this summer on Starz, may be the biggest departure yet. Much of the show's fourth season is being shot in the United States, and the events of 'Torchwood: Miracle Day' will transpire in various locations worldwide.

Gwen and Captain Jack will both be back, but their lives will be different. Gwen, for one thing, is a "mum" now, as actress Eve Myles explains in the video below.

As fans of 'Torchwood' no doubt know, Bill Pullman has joined the cast of 'Torchwood: Miracle Day' as a slippery criminal named Oswald Danes, Mekhi Phifer is playing CIA agent Rex Matheson, Lauren Ambrose has taken the role of PR agent Jilly Kitzinger, and those actors are joined by fellow cast members Alexa Havens, Arlene Tur and Dichen Lachman.

I'll have much more on what's next for 'Torchwood' in coming weeks, and there's a bit on the new season's premise below the video, but first, let's hear from Myles on how life has changed for Cooper, Torchwood's intrepid ex-policewoman. (Please note that, contrary to the tagline on the video below, the show's exact return date has not been confirmed by Starz, which has only said "summer" for 'Miracle Day's' arrival. However a July arrival for the new season of the show is quite probable.)

http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-te...w/751094542001

If you don't want to know the premise of 'Miracle Day,' which is revealed in the new season's opening minutes, look away now.

As creator Russell T Davies explained in this recent interview, 'Torchwood' has morphed into a show that is about dropping a big idea on modern society and seeing how people react. The "big idea" of 'Miracle Day' is that, one day, people on Earth stop dying. At first, this seems like a great thing, but this unexpected development soon turns into a disaster in terms of overcrowding, etc.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

Link to original article here: http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/02/21/to...s-miracle-day/

Comment

Torchwood: Who you gonna call?
                Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

The actor Ernie Hudson has today been reported as having a role in Torchwood: Miracle Day:

Alana Stone: Who you gonna call?
                Michael Colbert: The one and only Ernie Hudson is guest starring on this ep.

The actor has had a prolific career in films and television, having recently appeared in recent television series like Transformers Prime (voice of Agent Fowler), The Secret Life of an American Teenager (Dr Field), Law and Order (Frank Gibson), and Desperate Housewives (Detective Ridley). His sci-fi credentials include appearances in Heroes, Stargate SG-1, as Sergeant Albrecht in The Crow, and Washington in the film Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone.

But he will always be best known as Winston Zeddemore, the fourth member of the team in the extremely successful Ghostbusters, and its followup Ghostbusters II. (A third film has been mooted for production shortly!)

The casting follows on from the announcement at the weekend that Christopher Thomas Howell would also be appearing in the series. The actor reported that he would be filming during an interview with SouthLATVFans.

Another actor rising to fame in the 1980s, Howell is best known for his portrayal of Ponytail Curtis in The Outsiders; he also appeared Tyler in E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, and other films like The Hitcher, Red Dawn and Soul Man. Notable television roles include Kindred: The Embraced (Det. Frank Kohanek), Amazon (Dr. Alex Kennedy), 24 (Barry Landes), and most recently as Officer Dewey Dudek in Southland. He also has a role in the currently filming The Amazing Spider-Man.

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03...you-gonna.html

Comment

Anyone Can Die In 'Torchwood'
                  Series will have a more American feel with 'Miracle Day'

There has always been something American about "Torchwood."

Sure, John Barrowman brings a touch of American class to the show but the overall scope, scale and style of storytelling demonstrated by the series always strives for the entertainment levels offered by American science-fiction. However, in the upcoming fourth season, the series may begin to feel more like an American series made for British television.

"Russell [T. Davies] and Julie Gardner remain in charge," writer John Fay said. "[But] there are more American characters in it, so obviously it'll probably feel more American."

In the series, Capt. Jack (Barroman) and Gwen (Eve Myles) cross the pond in order to investigate a global miracle that takes place when the world is rendered immortal. There are no deaths and no births and it is left to Capt. Jack and Gwen to find out why.

The writing team for the series was made up of talent from the United Kingdom and America, meaning that both approaches to storytelling with be included. One such approach is Jack's immortality thanks to the Bad Wolf - in most drama shows the thrill and excitement comes from the possibility that our heroes could die at any moment. But on a series like "Torchwood" where that simply cannot happen the writers need to rely on other areas to ramp up the tension.

And Fay warns that anyone can die in "Torchwood."

"A universe in which fictional characters aren't 'allowed' to die is ridiculous and limiting," he argued. "When death is a reality in a drama, the jeopardy is greater [and] the stakes are greater. In Torchwood, anyone can die. That's a good thing."

BBC has not yet confirmed when "Torchwood: Miracle Day" will premiere on BBC One. Although Starz, the American premium cable channel that picked up the show, has yet to confirm when the series will air in the United States, the broadcast dates are expected to be relatively close thanks to the joint production deal between both channels.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/8305/an...torchwood.html

Comment

Absolutely loved this video made by Shanara Shannon. Check it out. The song is sung by JB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp_o6gqKxI
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Anyone Can Die In 'Torchwood'
                      Series will have a more American feel with 'Miracle Day'

There has always been something American about "Torchwood."

Sure, John Barrowman brings a touch of American class to the show but the overall scope, scale and style of storytelling demonstrated by the series always strives for the entertainment levels offered by American science-fiction. However, in the upcoming fourth season, the series may begin to feel more like an American series made for British television.

"Russell [T. Davies] and Julie Gardner remain in charge," writer John Fay said. "[But] there are more American characters in it, so obviously it'll probably feel more American."

In the series, Capt. Jack (Barroman) and Gwen (Eve Myles) cross the pond in order to investigate a global miracle that takes place when the world is rendered immortal. There are no deaths and no births and it is left to Capt. Jack and Gwen to find out why.

The writing team for the series was made up of talent from the United Kingdom and America, meaning that both approaches to storytelling with be included. One such approach is Jack's immortality thanks to the Bad Wolf - in most drama shows the thrill and excitement comes from the possibility that our heroes could die at any moment. But on a series like "Torchwood" where that simply cannot happen the writers need to rely on other areas to ramp up the tension.

And Fay warns that anyone can die in "Torchwood."

"A universe in which fictional characters aren't 'allowed' to die is ridiculous and limiting," he argued. "When death is a reality in a drama, the jeopardy is greater [and] the stakes are greater. In Torchwood, anyone can die. That's a good thing."

BBC has not yet confirmed when "Torchwood: Miracle Day" will premiere on BBC One. Although Starz, the American premium cable channel that picked up the show, has yet to confirm when the series will air in the United States, the broadcast dates are expected to be relatively close thanks to the joint production deal between both channels.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/8305/an...torchwood.html
                      I'd say characters at risk is a decidedly more British thing, frankly. Not an American thing. I actually find it quite offensive that it's being suggested that a) Torchwood's greatness is because it uses an American style, and b) that the US way is the better way.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

So, does anyone know when Torchwood will start airing new episodes? Also, will it show in the UK and then the US? I wonder if BBC America will air it...I sure hope so.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          So, does anyone know when Torchwood will start airing new episodes? Also, will it show in the UK and then the US? I wonder if BBC America will air it...I sure hope so.
                          Rumours for a July start for Series 4. Not known which country will air it first but my money is on a Doctor Who-esq thing going on where its aired the same day in both the US and the UK but, of course, due to time zone basically the UK gets it first.

I believe that its Starz that will be airing Series 4 in the US this time, not BBC America. BBC1 will be airing it in the UK again.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                            I believe that its Starz that will be airing Series 4 in the US this time, not BBC America. BBC1 will be airing it in the UK again.
                            Yeah it doesn't look like it will be airing on BBC America the first time around, only on Starz in the US it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                              Yeah it doesn't look like it will be airing on BBC America the first time around, only on Starz in the US it seems.
                              Well, I'll have to keep myself updated so I can catch some first run Torchwood!
                              sigpic

Comment

Torchwood: Miracle Day for 8th July (Starz)
                                Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

Torchwood: Miracle Day co-producer Starz have released a poster confirming the USA premier for the show, revealing the date for when the series commences as Friday 8th July. The BBC has yet to confirm if it will also broadcast the first episode on the same evening.

Series 4 poster at this link HERE

(report courtesy of TV|Line)

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03...racle-day.html

Comment

Working...
                                X