Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analysis (and over-analysis) are core parts of any fandom, so why suddenly the implication that it's wrong to do so? Skimming back through the thread I can see a lot of nitpicky, over-analytical comments being made without anyone calling the posters on it and yet twice now in the past week I've seen people make statements that seem to criticize those who had problems with the ep. Was Out of the Rain really so wonderful and perfect that people can't stand to see a word said against it?

Comment

I see what you mean... and that's usually fine, but for me the problem wasn't that it didn't stand up to analysis after viewing, it's that during the show I was just wondering so many things about the episode that just didn't get answered.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        I see what you mean... and that's usually fine, but for me the problem wasn't that it didn't stand up to analysis after viewing, it's that during the show I was just wondering so many things about the episode that just didn't get answered.
        Exactly. Or at least, that's how it was for me. I spent most of the ep fairly confused about what was happening and why. Oh, sure, characters are coming out of film and stealing the breath of the living, but beyond that it didn't make much sense to me.

Comment

They showed 'A Day in the Death' on BBCA last night and I have to say that it was another good Owen episode, the whole Zombie!Owen arc really. Although I could've lived without seeing Owen break his finger.

It's Complicated Butterflies and Hurricanes

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            Analysis (and over-analysis) are core parts of any fandom, so why suddenly the implication that it's wrong to do so? Skimming back through the thread I can see a lot of nitpicky, over-analytical comments being made without anyone calling the posters on it and yet twice now in the past week I've seen people make statements that seem to criticize those who had problems with the ep. Was Out of the Rain really so wonderful and perfect that people can't stand to see a word said against it?
            I didn't say it was wrong to analyse or over analyse a show if that floats your boat but sometimes ripping an episode to shreads to find hidden meaning, a point or whatever is taking fandom a bit far, why not just sit back, watch and be entertained, you (the Royal You, not you personally) may be surprised, Out of the Rain wasn't the best episode ever but it was watchable and entertaining that's all, why can't people just say they 'watched' it instead of picking it minutly to bits.

Comment

Maybe it will be revisited in a couple of series time, the ending was a bit cliffhangery

Comment

I watch pretty much everything that I watch at all, expecting to like it, and I usually do like it (or I wouldn't have watched it in the first place.)

But if I do, I often like to analyse why; and if I don't, then analysing why not is often a way of getting residual enjoyment out of a not-really-my-thing ep.

Ceasing to analyse afterwards would not enhance the probability of my finding an ep good while it's on.

Madeleine

Comment

Often I find other's analysis of an episode enhances my enjoyment by giving me another perspective. On episodes I don't care for, other's analysis helps me to put my finger on some of the reasons WHY I found it so unsatifying.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                    Often I find other's analysis of an episode enhances my enjoyment by giving me another perspective. On episodes I don't care for, other's analysis helps me to put my finger on some of the reasons WHY I found it so unsatifying.
                    Indeed. Different people will notice different things about each episode.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Exactly. I find that each perspective I encounter adds to my enjoyment of the show. If it didn't, I wouldn't be online. That's why I'm upset about TW. I'll see the episodes eventually, but now, I won't get to discuss them with all of you when they are still fresh in everyone's mind.

I also analyze books, films, etc. for a living, so I watch shows attempting to turn my "analysis button" off. If a program is great, then I often have little to say; however, a frightening episode forces me into figuring out why I don't like something (much like my day job has me looking at where things can be improved).
                      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Just got round to watching the "family friendly" version of this one which I recorded last week but my son wasn't really interested in it - don't think weddings are really his "thing"! Poor Owen, not being able to operate that thingy with his bad hand. I would think that most of his work will be affected by that problem unless they find a way of getting him back to normal? He seemed to be able to clap o.k. at the ceremony, though.

Nobody seemed bothered about that bloke getting killed - I would have expected Gwen to be a bit upset if she realised that he only got killed because she refused to postpone the wedding, but maybe she thought, hey, he was quite an annoying person anyway, so who cares? I didn't really get the fake policeman stripper at her hen night - do they really book one of those for a policewoman??! Oh, and I rather think that if you want to conceal the fact that you are very pregnant at your wedding, you can get a wedding dress that hides the bump instead of flaunting it, but that would have been no fun I suppose.
                        Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
                          I didn't really get the fake policeman stripper at her hen night - do they really book one of those for a policewoman??!
                          Well, I dunno about that. But, this guy is in big trouble.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Adrift!!!

Spoiler:

Dear God.

I cried!

It was such a sad episode. Such a good one. All I can say is that proved without a doubt that Torchwood is one of the greatest tv shows ever.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Adrift!!!

Spoiler:

Dear God.

I cried!

It was such a sad episode. Such a good one. All I can say is that proved without a doubt that Torchwood is one of the greatest tv shows ever.

Spoiler:
                              oh yes, first I cried from laughing then at the end I was close to tears again because of the sadness....

gwen catching Jack and Ianto in flagranti was just bloody brilliant *giggles

Convention-Pics: baby-turtles. de
                              Visit me at my LJ

Comment

Adrift...

Spoiler:
                                I squeed in the total fangirl way at the 'close inspection of plant life' and then cried at the end.

I recall screaming. RETCON!!! RETCON!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X