Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I thought Tosh and Mary was really well done - I disagree with people giving that as an example of "everyone in Torchwood is bi" - you could see Tosh was really uncomfortable about the whole thing, it struck me as a first time for her. Thing is, we see heterosexual relationships where team-mates fall with aliens all the time in science fiction. I'm enjoying that in Torchwood it can be non-heterosexual, too.

As for "bolder than ever" - I didn't read this as sexual-content-related, TBH. I thought it much the kind of thing they also say about Doctor Who all the time, if I'm not mistaken they said in one of the series 4 press release that "it's gonna be a bolder than ever series".
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

The thing is there's TOO much of it.

Ianto/Jack
      Tosh/Mary
      Gwyn/Owen
      Owen/Woman from the past
      Jack/Jack
      Gwyn/Sex Alien

Now. Out of all those, the only one I'm happy with is Ianto/Jack. Gwyn/Owen, annoyed me, but I can let it pass as it just kind of shows what kind of woman she is, and we all know Owen is a sleaze.

The point is. Out of a team of 5. 3 are obviously bisexual (Tosh was watching enthralled when Gwyn was kissing the sex alien). Half the fandom is convinced Owen is bisexual as well (it depends if you think he yelled "Taxi" to escape or to sleep with the guy and the girl in the first ep). And Gwyn, whilst apparently being the only straight one, still made out with the sex alien.

The statistics are a little unbelievable. Jack is omni-sexual. Fairplay, that was always established. Making Ianto bi worked as well, it gave an added layer to the show.

Making Tosh bisexual cheapened Jack/Ianto and made it seem like RTD just wants to hammer home the "oo look, gay sex" thing. Then Jack/Jack made a MOCKERY of Jack/Ianto. Especially when it's clear how much poor Ianto cares for Jack.

Jack/Jack annoys me because it cheapens Jack/Ianto.

And Tosh/Mary really felt out of place. It would have worked just as well if it was a male alien. Perhaps then there wouldn't have been the actual sex which has been at the fore front of the show.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Oh God
        Spoiler:
        I hope the don't give Helen Raynor one of the 'Eagerly Awaited' episodes to write, she wrote the travesty that was Daleks in Manhatten/Evolution of the Daleks

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
          Oh God
          Spoiler:
          I hope the don't give Helen Raynor one of the 'Eagerly Awaited' episodes to write, she wrote the travesty that was Daleks in Manhatten/Evolution of the Daleks
          Spoiler:
          Oh good LORD! No!

That was a dismal episode. Let's hope there's no daleks in Torchwood either...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            The thing is there's TOO much of it.

Ianto/Jack
            Tosh/Mary
            Gwyn/Owen
            Owen/Woman from the past
            Jack/Jack
            Gwyn/Sex Alien

Now. Out of all those, the only one I'm happy with is Ianto/Jack. Gwyn/Owen, annoyed me, but I can let it pass as it just kind of shows what kind of woman she is, and we all know Owen is a sleaze.

The point is. Out of a team of 5. 3 are obviously bisexual (Tosh was watching enthralled when Gwyn was kissing the sex alien). Half the fandom is convinced Owen is bisexual as well (it depends if you think he yelled "Taxi" to escape or to sleep with the guy and the girl in the first ep). And Gwyn, whilst apparently being the only straight one, still made out with the sex alien.

The statistics are a little unbelievable. Jack is omni-sexual. Fairplay, that was always established. Making Ianto bi worked as well, it gave an added layer to the show.

Making Tosh bisexual cheapened Jack/Ianto and made it seem like RTD just wants to hammer home the "oo look, gay sex" thing. Then Jack/Jack made a MOCKERY of Jack/Ianto. Especially when it's clear how much poor Ianto cares for Jack.

Jack/Jack annoys me because it cheapens Jack/Ianto.

And Tosh/Mary really felt out of place. It would have worked just as well if it was a male alien. Perhaps then there wouldn't have been the actual sex which has been at the fore front of the show.
            About the number of romances - I have to admit I find it slightly more belivable than shows that ignore the issue completely - take for exampel Stargate, and Daniel's complete lack of romantic interest in women between Sha'uri and Vala (he had no romantic interest in Sarah, she was an ex and a friend). It always struck me as somewhat ridiculous - I mean, what, am I expected to believe he dind't sleep with anyone for 7 years?...
            I agree Gwen/ Owen was annoyign - I liked both characters much when they were a couple than when they were alone (okay, I never was a big Owen fan, but I actually liekd Gwen when she wasn't a part of Gwen/ Owen). - but I also think it was realsitic and good for character development.
            Ianto/ Jack was a nice touch.
            sex alien - well the entire plot was ridiculous, but I do excuse Gwen at being influenced by the alien, I do think she's straight.
            And I also still think Tosh is straight. Seriously. I've met more than one person who was straight but were at some point in a lesbian relationship - and in one case it was a very long one. She eventually ended it because, well, she was straight. Her being all uncomfortable about MAry would suggest to me she isn't bi.
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

... and spoiler conversation
              Spoiler:
              Ghost Machine was quite lovely, I'll give her that, but I am highly suspicious after the Dalek two parter. Then again, I'm much more concerned about the two parter she's writing for DW series 4 than the TW one!
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I had a rather peculiar Torchwood/Dr. Who related dream last night.

Something about the Seventh Doctor and Ace joining the Torchwood gang to fight off a Cyberman and a whole load of zombies...

I think maybe I've reached TV saturation point.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  About the number of romances - I have to admit I find it slightly more belivable than shows that ignore the issue completely - take for exampel Stargate, and Daniel's complete lack of romantic interest in women between Sha'uri and Vala (he had no romantic interest in Sarah, she was an ex and a friend). It always struck me as somewhat ridiculous - I mean, what, am I expected to believe he dind't sleep with anyone for 7 years?...
                  I agree Gwen/ Owen was annoyign - I liked both characters much when they were a couple than when they were alone (okay, I never was a big Owen fan, but I actually liekd Gwen when she wasn't a part of Gwen/ Owen). - but I also think it was realsitic and good for character development.
                  Ianto/ Jack was a nice touch.
                  sex alien - well the entire plot was ridiculous, but I do excuse Gwen at being influenced by the alien, I do think she's straight.
                  And I also still think Tosh is straight. Seriously. I've met more than one person who was straight but were at some point in a lesbian relationship - and in one case it was a very long one. She eventually ended it because, well, she was straight. Her being all uncomfortable about MAry would suggest to me she isn't bi.
                  Daniel's had quite a few girls in between Shar'e and Vala I believe. Wasn't one of them actually the Destroyer?

I still really don't see how a straight person could be in a same sex relationship. I thought Tosh was uncomfortable because she didnt want to be bisexual.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                    I had a rather peculiar Torchwood/Dr. Who related dream last night.

Something about the Seventh Doctor and Ace joining the Torchwood gang to fight off a Cyberman and a whole load of zombies...

I think maybe I've reached TV saturation point.
                    Oh don't worry, I'm well beyond that point. I've got to the point where in my dreams I end up in combat with the Master (and by God it's painful having a chair smacked off your head), and in other dreams I've taken to actually introducing myself in a manner similar to Captain Jack... ie

"Iain Bennett, UAS, Pilot"

Worst thing was, that was part of me actually talking out loud and someone heard it, and it apparently was said in the same tone of voice as Jack...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

How's your cousin Gordon these days, Flying Officer Bennett?
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

*blink* thank god I never remember my dreams...
                        but it's funny, I got this friend who always ends up dreaming real weird dreams about telly shows she gets addicted to and they're quite entertaining to hear.
                        (And FOB, sorry, but... HA!)

Back on Torchwood - well, it's possible, methinsk. If you really like someone and that person is gay, you might end up confusing non sexual love for sexual love/ lust/ attraction. It doesn't seem that impossible to me, especialy as you would get the sexual signals from your partner...
                        As for Daniel, I admit to have been thinking of Forever in a Day onwards - I jsut rememebr there's a ridiculously long period of time where he's basically a hermit (not that Carter is in any better position til Pete comes along...)
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                          How's your cousin Gordon these days, Flying Officer Bennett?
                          *glares*

Pitry, Well it's possible, but by God would it make the sex difficult...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

*glares*
                            Ten thousand apologies old chap, couldn't resist it.
                            sigpic

Comment

I suppose I shouldn't tell you that my middle initial is "G" then.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Daniel's had quite a few girls in between Shar'e and Vala I believe. Wasn't one of them actually the Destroyer?
                                Daniel's got a girl on every planet

I still really don't see how a straight person could be in a same sex relationship. I thought Tosh was uncomfortable because she didnt want to be bisexual.
                                Women are more inclined to experiment with the same sex than men are

Comment

Working...
                                X