Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up playing the game Snap, but I thought that it was using Snap as an expletive. I've noticed a large amount of American kid's shows have taken to using it and I thought that this was what American kids have been saying.

I was confused why Owen was using it though, the context of it referring to the game makes much more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
      It could also be a generation thing? Do kids even play "snap!" anymore? My niece does but only because I like to play poker, so there is always a pack of cards about, I taught her to play snap and poker.
      My daughter used to play it with me when she was a lot younger, she prefers 21 now

Originally posted by phibi View Post
      hm.. forgive me, I'm from Germany... what exactly is "snap"? You said, it's a game?

I always thought when someone says "snap" it means so much as "over" or "you lost" or something?
      Basically you divide the card deck in half and you lay a card face up, when two cards of the same number come up, the first one to yell "Snap" wins and gets to keep the pile of cards, the one who has the entire deck at the end is the winner

Comment

Snap sounds a little like a card game called War in the States. It's basically a kid's game here too.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
          My daughter used to play it with me when she was a lot younger, she prefers 21 now

Basically you divide the card deck in half and you lay a card face up, when two cards of the same number come up, the first one to yell "Snap" wins and gets to keep the pile of cards, the one who has the entire deck at the end is the winner
          Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
          Snap sounds a little like a card game called War in the States. It's basically a kid's game here too.
          ah thanks for the explanation we play that here too, it's called "Krieg" (german for "war"), but it's without yelling *lol*

Convention-Pics: baby-turtles. de
          Visit me at my LJ

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

Originally posted by phibi View Post
              ah thanks for the explanation we play that here too, it's called "Krieg" (german for "war"), but it's without yelling *lol*
              How can you play snap without the yelling?

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                That's what I was going to ask, half the fun is the yelling. lol

Comment

Definitly

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                    it's played really slow here so there is no need for yelling... but believe me we have other card cames that are a lot faster and require lots of yelling

Convention-Pics: baby-turtles. de
                    Visit me at my LJ

Comment

My four year old niece still plays Snap so the game is still around
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I took 'snap' to be more like, "Crap. I'm really dead this time. Aw, snap!" A left field saying like we're accustomed to hearing from the Dead Boy Detective.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

So I should spoiler tag my mini-review of the finale?
                          Spoiler:
                          OMGWTF?!?! WORST REVENGE EVER!!! How exactly does Gray get his hands on technology and knowhow enabling him to take out a time agent, much less one as conniving as Spike? Being strung up with corpses for a dozen years doesn't exactly qualify as on-the-job training. If Gray were the agent of these evil things, doing their bidding, using their technology, I'd buy it. His rage makes him a perfect pawn, not a general working everything behind the scenes. As for our other Captain... Have our TW friends forgotten that he KILLED Jack over a gem without knowing about the whole resurrection thing? I can't buy it. Sorry. Horrible premise behind the wonderful destruction.

As for the reactions to the mayhem... Wonderful. Gwen is great as a leader. Perhaps, when Jack moves on from our Earth, she'll get Torchwood 3? Jack's punishment was gruesome and perfect. 2000 years dying. I love it. The show was all about the dual death scenes. Tosh and Owen... Sniff. Wonderfully written and acted. That was the biggest and best and saddest moment of the episode. If we had to get through time-displaced sibling angst as a catalyst for that, I'll forgive it. The setup was crap, but the payoff was excellent. More like it in S3!!!
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a
                            I took 'snap' to be more like, "Crap. I'm really dead this time. Aw, snap!" A left field saying like we're accustomed to hearing from the Dead Boy Detective.
                            No, to me given the calm way in which Owen says the word, I think Chris C was also meaning it as a responce to Jack having just said there was an explosive device. In other words Owen was saying "snap" I have found a similar explosive device Jack.

I think Owen uses fairly common lingo. Well I understand him, nothing left field at all. Maybe out-dated, maybe that is why I understand him.

Comment

Trust me, non-brits, "Snap" has no meaning to any brit (besides the onomatopaeic) except "ditto". That's what Owen was saying.

Madeleine

Comment

After being spoiled for the finale I must admit that it was still heartbreaking.

But I liked how
                                Spoiler:
                                Gwen took charge and got everyone on the police force to keep their cool and remember their training. Hopefully there'll be a third series so we can see how they'll deal with Tosh's and Owen's replacements. (I move that they let PC Andy join)

And they did a really good job for the casting of Gray. A few times I wondered if they somehow had managed to get a clone of JB the actor was that similar to him.

The final scene between Tosh and Owen was great, NM and BG did a wonderful job with it and I'll miss them.

It's Complicated Butterflies and Hurricanes

Comment

Working...
                                X