This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Hawkes as the Governor?

Viewers of the Walking Dead TV series know by now that the zombies aren't the bad guys—they are simply an incredibly troublesome part of life. They don't act with malice, they just are. But readers of Robert Kirkman's comic know that there's a true villain on the horizon. So who will play Walking Dead's Big Bad, the Governor?

In the pages of The Walking Dead, the Governor is a sadistic tyrant who rules over a town of survivors with a twisted iron fist. And when he encounters Rick Grimes and friends, it kicks off a devastating wave of bloodshed.

It's a plum role ... one that actor/makeup effects maestro Tom Savini (who worked on, among others, the original Friday the 13th and Dawn of the Dead) wanted for himself, and he's been lobbying his old friend Greg Nicotero—another makeup legend who's now a co-executive producer on Walking Dead—to that effect. As Savini told Dread Central:
    "Listen, I have been campaigning to be the Governor on that damn thing with Greg Nicotero for over a year. Every time I see the graphic novel and I see a picture of the Governor, who looks just like me, I send Greg a picture. I just won't give up. Last time I talked to him about it, when I was in Los Angeles, he said they were going after a name for that part. I said, "Who?" He said John Hawkes. Well, I never heard of John Hawkes. But then he reminds me that we were in From Dusk Till Dawn together. He is the guy at the beginning in the store that fires on them. Apparently he was up for an Academy Award; he was up for something called Winter's Bone. That's whom they are going after for the Governor."
    So Oscar nominee John Hawkes, eh? He's spent a lot of time on TV, appearing on Lost, 24, Deadwood and, way back when, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But with the heat he's gotten as of late for movies like Winter's Bone, Martha Marcy May Marlene and this year's Sundance smash The Surrogate—and the fact that he's shooting Steven Spielberg's Lincoln right now—it feels like Hawkes is gonna be a tough get.

Still, if you were an actor looking to sink your teeth into a meaty role on a popular, critically acclaimed show, you could do a lot worse than The Walking Dead.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Interesting....if they could get him. I like John Hawkes in the things I've seen him in, including Winter's Bone.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

I'm not too sure about it to be honest. I've only ever seen him in Deadwood and Eastbound & Down and he's a really nice guy in both.Plus he's kinda scrawny too, and to me the Governor looked kinda stacked. I'm not sure it would be the best fit.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Schedule for the second half:

Feb 12 -- 2.08 Nebraska (premiere)
          Feb 19 -- 2.09 Triggerfinger
          Feb 26 -- 2.10 18 Miles Out
          Mar 4 -- 2.11 Judge, Jury, Executioner
          Mar 11 -- 2.12 Better Angels
          Mar 18 -- 2.13 Beside the Dying Fire (finale)
          No breaks? Very nice.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm not too sure about it to be honest. I've only ever seen him in Deadwood and Eastbound & Down and he's a really nice guy in both.Plus he's kinda scrawny too, and to me the Governor looked kinda stacked. I'm not sure it would be the best fit.
            John Hawkes is a good actor, and he's got great range, so he could work.

Comment

He was rather scary/badass in the Winter's Bone...the setting centered around backwoods drug dealers. Complete opposite of the character he played in Deadwood. And I had watched that movie before seeing him in Deadwood.

Haven't read the comics that far to get to the Governor so don't exactly have a physical picture of him, but I do rather agree with you that Hawkes is rather small, and I would picture the Gov being bigger.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

I trust them to cast someone who can pull off the Governor role.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I just realized while in class that the premier is less than a week away and almost yelled "yes"...Lol

edit:

Valentine's Day card for my girlfriend 425160_381202625239235_110475388978628_1485731_995483225_n.jpg
                  Last edited by Gen. Chris; 06 February 2012, 08:51 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait for this coming Sunday night. It will be great to have this show back on. Should be interesting to see where things go from here.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                      I just realized while in class that the premier is less than a week away and almost yelled "yes"...Lol

edit:

Valentine's Day card for my girlfriend [ATTACH=CONFIG]33766[/ATTACH]
                      That card is awesome!
                      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I am getting very excited about Sunday nights episode.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Me too - even more so after reading this interview:
                          The Showrunner Transcript: The Walking Dead’s Glen Mazzara Opens Up on Darabont’s Departure and Reworking the Series

[excerpt]
                          But now, six months after Darabont left, with the first all-Mazzara episode about to air, can you say you have your own vision for the show?

I do. I see it as a horror show, and that just means to me that it needs to be incredibly suspenseful. That suspense could come from interpersonal drama or it could come from the zombie scare of the week. I’ve really been trying — and you’ll see in these next six episodes, but even in the midseason finale, which was the first final script that Frank did not touch — I’ve been trying to amp up the intensity of the show. To make it feel less safe, more dangerous, more in your face, taking away any good options for the characters. Their backs are against the wall and they’re frightened. I’m trying to keep the show as immediate as possible, so that an audience member can imagine themselves in that situation, and wonder, What would I do? That is something that I think I’m bringing to the show. Hopefully you can see that I’m trying to push people into new emotional territory.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...-darabont.html
                          sigpic

Comment

Nice little read there. Thanks for posting that. Both my wife and I really look forward to the rest of this season.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Yeah thanks for posting the article. I'm so counting down to Sunday
                              Originally posted by jelgate
                              This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Tomorrow night is going to be so great. I just know it. At least our wait is finally over.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X