This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Indeed, it sounds like a complete mess at AMC. Sadly this isn't uncommon, and indeed a similar situation to this has happened before actually. HBO went through a rough patch a few years ago, thanks to poor decisions made by and arrogant and overconfident management, which led to the cancelation of shows like Deadwood and Rome, and several shows that were not of as high quality as previous HBO hits. Several people in it's upper management were moved around and or got rid of, and HBO got back on track with shows like True Blood, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones.

In much the same way there was over confidence at HBO, riding high after hits like the Sopranos and Sex and the City, that caused problems. It was actually in that gap that AMC took advantage, with Mad Men and Breaking Bad, which were at the time, better than most things HBO had on. HBO have since bounced back, and I hope AMC do as well, but clearly there needs to be some reshuffling iand even the removal of certain people at AMC.
    Interesting background info on HBO. I remember reading that some at HBO thought they had made mistakes with some of their cancellation decisions, but I had no idea they got things back on track by shuffling the deck and cleaning house.

I find it amazing that AMC's head of programming currenly has a toxic relationship with the head creatives of each of its top 3 hits. Perhaps one bad relationship could be defended, but 3? Here's hoping that someone in charge at AMC looks at this current situation and follows HBO's deck shuffling/cleaning house lead before it's too late.

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
    Yea I mean you think logic would dictate that when AMC execs get into these huge disagreements with the show runners of ALL 3 of your shows, there's an issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.
    You would think that would be cause for concern that requires immediate action, wouldn't you?
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
      Interesting background info on HBO. I remember reading that some at HBO thought they had made mistakes with some of their cancellation decisions, but I had no idea they got things back on track by shuffling the deck and cleaning house.
      I like HBO because they are usually straight up about their decisions. Even when they made mistakes they admitted to them. There's no passing the blame or totally dodging questions like this other network we all like to hate on. It is not something you see very often so they have a higher standing in my books.
      sigpic

Comment

The bloke currently running AMC sound like a dick head that needs to be fired or shuffle of to another department.

Through I think the cast and crew needs to stand up to AMC themselves and demand changes be made.

Comment

Just got up to speed on what's been going on. Sounds EXACTLY like what's happening at SyFy. Network execs want a cheap return at the cost of quality programming. I'm under the impression that reality TV programming is just a fad like game shows, but now with SyFy cancelling Eureka and this (both Walking Dead and Eureka were hit shows that really did not do anything to justify the treatment they've been given by their networks) I'm stating to become afraid that reality is here to stay and soon that's all that will be on TV . I wish people would stop being stupid and start tuning in to intelligent TV.

The biggest problem in general really is that networks like SyFy, AMC just do not understand sci-fi fans and the passion that they have for their favorite shows. We've been dicked around so much that we're just sick and tired of it. I don't even care if a show is canceled as long as I'm rewarded for my investment and get a satisfying conclusion (or any conclusion). I wish a network would come along that truly understands the commitment of sci-fi fans to their shows and treats us with respect, but that will never happen. If a channel that started as the sci-fi channel can't even figure that out there's no hope .
          That is just my two cents.

Comment

Since Frank was only just removed from his position, does that mean he was still showrunner during the filming of season two? If so then that really raises my hopes about what to expect in October!
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I imagine so, but I don't know if filming has wrapped yet. And even if it has, a lot of post would still need to be done, this far away from the premiere.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                Since Frank was only just removed from his position, does that mean he was still showrunner during the filming of season two? If so then that really raises my hopes about what to expect in October!
                Judging from what I've been reading it seems like there was still a fair bit of season 2 to film when Frank got the axe. And since the decision was immediate I actually don't think he was involved in more than half the filming of the season.
                sigpic

Comment

I still hold out hope that this season will be great. Until proven otherwise, that is what I want to believe.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    I still hold out hope that this season will be great. Until proven otherwise, that is what I want to believe.
                    While I will withhold judgement till I have seen the finished product, I am very pessimistic. A reduced budget, major network meddling, a short shooting schedule and the show runner being removed in the middle of filming the season does not bode well. I want the season to be good, but I'm going into season 2 with very low expectations, so that there isn't much risk of me being disappointed.

Comment

Regardless of how poorly Season 2 may turn out (and let's hope it turns out well), at least we'll always have that phenomenal first six episodes to go back to.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Regardless of how poorly Season 2 may turn out (and let's hope it turns out well), at least we'll always have that phenomenal first six episodes to go back to.
                        I agree with you both. I'm willing to see what they come up with before I pass judgment.

Anyway, seems what they've filmed so far looks good...

The Walking Dead 2×01 – “Miles Behind Us” Episode Photos
                        http://multipleverses.com/2011/08/14...pisode-photos/
                        sigpic

Comment

I am going to be so psyched come premiere night.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

If that's true about filming then the trailer of Season 2 must only show the episodes they've filmed so far, which would explain why there's only one big confrontation with the undead shown (on the motorway, under the cars). My one concern with the budget was that the show would lose the sense of scale that Season 1 had.
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

By the way, feel free to compliment me on my newly made sig

sigpic

Comment

And don't point out the fact that it says The 'Nest' New Show on TV . . . Too late to correct it now. Pretend it's a B.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X