Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I generally do not care for zombie fiction, but I do like scary movies. Would you recommend The Walking Dead to someone who's just looking to watch a spooky show? I don't like gore, but I love suspence.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      I generally do not care for zombie fiction, but I do like scary movies. Would you recommend The Walking Dead to someone who's just looking to watch a spooky show? I don't like gore, but I love suspence.
      Well I wouldn't say it was scary, and it does have some gore in it but I wouldn't say there's been a lot of gore.
      sigpic

Comment

What's the point of the show if not to scare the viewers?

Comment

What's the point of the show if not to scare the viewers?
          Well I don't think it's really that scary but that's just me. It takes a lot to scare me.
          sigpic

Comment

Why watch if it doesn't scare you?

Comment

Why watch if it doesn't scare you?
              Cause I love zombie movies and this show intrigued me
              sigpic

Comment

What's the appeal of a zombie film? I'm just trying to evaluate wether this show is worth my time. Tell me this... the pilot episode, is it gorey? As I said, I don't like gore.

Comment

What's the appeal of a zombie film? I'm just trying to evaluate wether this show is worth my time. Tell me this... the pilot episode, is it gorey? As I said, I don't like gore.
                  I like a zombie movie that is more than just running around like headless chickens trying to get away from flesh eaters. They have to have substance to it. Probably why I love resident evil so much. Cause it's more than just a zombie fest. The zombies aren't really the main antagonists of the movie. They aren't the bad guys, the poor sods just got caught in the middle. I think walking dead isn't just mainly about the zombies but about the characters and their interactions with one another trying to survive. It's hard to say what gory is, what's gory to some might to be that gory to others. There are lots of bodies lying around but IMO the pilot isn't really that gory.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                    I think walking dead isn't just mainly about the zombies but about the characters and their interactions with one another trying to survive. It's hard to say what gory is, what's gory to some might to be that gory to others. There are lots of bodies lying around but IMO the pilot isn't really that gory.
                    What is the plot, the driving force of the show? You speak of characters, interactions, survival... OK... but what's the story? Is it to find sanctuary from zombies? A friend told me the plot of the first episode, so it sounds like this first six-episode season's main plot will be a man trying to find his lost family in a plague of zombies. Is that right? As for gore... take a western. In older westerns, when a guy got shot, he just fell down. In a modern western, you'd see blood and maybe meat explode out from behind. The modern western would be gory. Basically, gore is anything more than a minor flesh wound.

Comment

What is the plot, the driving force of the show? You speak of characters, interactions, survival... OK... but what's the story? Is it to find sanctuary from zombies? A friend told me the plot of the first episode, so it sounds like this first six-episode season's main plot will be a man trying to find his lost family in a plague of zombies. Is that right? As for gore... take a western. In older westerns, when a guy got shot, he just fell down. In a modern western, you'd see blood and maybe meat explode out from behind. The modern western would be gory. Basically, gore is anything more than a minor flesh wound.
                      In the first few eps it's about a man trying to find his family and to figure out how everything went to hell in a hand basket in such a short space if time. Us the viewers just the the main character do not know what happened, how they became zombies. Well then you could class it as gory then. Sorry about the short replies but I'm on my iPod and it takes longer to type I'm sure when the others get here they'll be able to explain it better than me. Words aren't my strong suit.
                      sigpic

Comment

I take it you never saw the Wild Bunch then.

But anyway the Walking Dead. It's a bit like SGU with zombies. A focus on the characters, trying to survive, avoid zombies, work together, overcome divisions and find loved ones. Except here the threat isn't aliens or being trapped on a ship, it's the zombies.

As for gore, it is pretty gory. The "organ donor" scene comes to mind when they smash open a dead body with a fire axe and cover themselves with guts to hide from the zombies.

Comment

I found the first two episodes extremely gory, and hardly any in the third. I personally don't like tons of gore, but in a zombie movie/show it is bound to be there. It is just part of the nature of the show. I don't think you could get the same impact without it. Even though I don't like gore, I don't mind it in this. If there is something I really don't want to see, I turn my head. I have done it twice so far out of all three episodes for a few seconds, so it isn't that bad.

I don't find the show scary, but at times it has a creep factor.

I would say the main plot of this season is to find a safe haven, gather weapons and supplies, find loved ones, and help other survivors. I would imagine as the series goes on we will get more into what brought the fever on and how to find a cure.
                          sigpic

Comment

Not long to wait now before the next thrilling episode. Just about an hour left. I know I can't wait for it to start.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Episode 4 "Vatos"
                              Spoiler:
                              Man....as much as I love Mad Men, this show has unseated it as my favourite series by AMC.

I laughed so hard when it took the one guy's grandma to defuse the standoff, and then just moments later the "eaten by dogs" (Chihuauas moment)

I really love how the group of Vatos turned out to be more than just a tough Hispanic gang. Good play to and breaking of stereotype IMO.

And the attack on the camp at the end....holy crap. It wasn't really unexpected, with the one walker nearby to camp in the previous episode, but I was not expecting them to off two main characters this soon

What happened to Rick wanting to radio Morgan and Duane while in the city though? And shouldn't dead Amy and Ed be getting up as zombies?

My stupid PVR didn't record the preview for next week though =\
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Spoiler:
                                What happened to Rick wanting to radio Morgan and Duane while in the city though? And shouldn't dead Amy and Ed be getting up as zombies?
                                Rick got the radio, no doubt, and will probably tell them next episode. The zombie stuff is the first scene next week, I bet. Maybe it's not that instant with the zombification.

Great great great great episode. Some really awesome stuff - the characters are really growing on me (Especially Amy. The show just lost its hottest character. ) - Merle's off screen badassness definitely helped him get some cool points, and I'm liking Darryl a lot. Glenn, Rick, Shane, Dale, Lori and Andrea already had a bit of cool points to their name, and tonight was no exception. Glenn's line "Admit it, we came back to Atlanta for the hat" was epic.

Glad Ed got eaten, but to balance out losing that jerk to losing hot Amy? Damn you, unfair law of dramatic averages.

The hispanic gang thing was a nice reveal. Deus Ex Grandma to the rescue! Oh man, Guillermo's little dogs were hysterical too.

Looking forward to next week, as usual.
                                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                                X