Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Isn't this The Orville section?
    It's not the same as a subforum. It is easier to discuss things without spoiler tags. I am guessing that an Orville section is based on the traffic of this thread. But given Gateworld's traffic in general...I don't know.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

The only problem with this is Fox has relegated it to Sunday nights after the NFL (or I'm getting muddled with another show) either way it's like they are trying to kill the show before it becomes REALLY popular, I don't think they expected it to be as popular as it was, it was certainly the unexpected hit of 2017, and well, it certainly seems like they're trying to kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
        The only problem with this is Fox has relegated it to Sunday nights after the NFL (or I'm getting muddled with another show) either way it's like they are trying to kill the show before it becomes REALLY popular, I don't think they expected it to be as popular as it was, it was certainly the unexpected hit of 2017, and well, it certainly seems like they're trying to kill it.

Wouldn't it have the opposite effect? All of those people watching TV at the end of the game...a percentage of them would most likely stay tuned to watch what's next. Even if that's 1% of everyone who watched the game that's still a hefty crowd. FOX's ratings for late Sunday division rounds was at around 35 Million viewers. Just 1% is an extra 350,000 viewers. The pilot which aired on Sunday night had 2.8 million adults 18-49 with 8 Million Live+same day stream viewers with a total of 14 Million across all platforms. That number went down on the move to Thursday to 6 Million live+Same Day Stream viewers at the end of the season. Some of that came from the NFL game right before it.

It will probably start with at least 6 Million live+Same Day viewers...no less than 5 Million. And those are low very conservative numbers.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

Wouldn't it have the opposite effect? All of those people watching TV at the end of the game...a percentage of them would most likely stay tuned to watch what's next.
          I wish that were true, but I highly doubt it. That seems like a logical argument, but more than likely people turn to other things after the game is over. The big thing you have to consider is that after the game is over there is the mandatory Post Game Show; the discussion by overpaid ex-players about what happened in the game people just watched and what happened in all of the games of the week. It is mandatory and you would have to expect all of those viewers who watched the game to sit through the entire Post Game Show to watch the Orville. And if the game runs long they still have that stupid Post Game Show. That is why I say this is not a good time slot. But who knows. My fingers are crossed that it will work.

Comment

Time shifters are a big part of an audience these days, and putting it on at wildly unpredictable times will kill that. You don't want to program the DVR to record from 8 pem to midnight to catch one show, for example.

Of course, the proper solution is to end the games on time. If it is scheduled to end at 8, it ends at 8 and the network goes to what's next.

But pigs might fly first.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
              I wish that were true, but I highly doubt it. That seems like a logical argument, but more than likely people turn to other things after the game is over. The big thing you have to consider is that after the game is over there is the mandatory Post Game Show; the discussion by overpaid ex-players about what happened in the game people just watched and what happened in all of the games of the week. It is mandatory and you would have to expect all of those viewers who watched the game to sit through the entire Post Game Show to watch the Orville. And if the game runs long they still have that stupid Post Game Show. That is why I say this is not a good time slot. But who knows. My fingers are crossed that it will work.
              Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Time shifters are a big part of an audience these days, and putting it on at wildly unpredictable times will kill that. You don't want to program the DVR to record from 8 pem to midnight to catch one show, for example.

Of course, the proper solution is to end the games on time. If it is scheduled to end at 8, it ends at 8 and the network goes to what's next.

But pigs might fly first.
              It's risky, I admit. However one thing that does work against it and I think it did work against it, is changing the time slot all together. Moving a show in the middle of a season or not announcing the return of that show after a hiatus in time kills shows faster than whatever was on before it. So here's to enjoying similar numbers but with more stability, that's really the best we can hope for.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                It's risky, I admit. However one thing that does work against it and I think it did work against it, is changing the time slot all together. Moving a show in the middle of a season or not announcing the return of that show after a hiatus in time kills shows faster than whatever was on before it. So here's to enjoying similar numbers but with more stability, that's really the best we can hope for.
                CW is taking a chance with Supergirl, too, moving it to Sunday nights, opposite sports, which frequently runs way late.

Comment

Not really. It's their 2nd highest rated show. Every network factors in football overrun when they look at the numbers
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

this may sound crazy, but have a aerial broadcast channel nationally, that is just for tv shows that are sci fis etc

Comment

Originally posted by AleksisMi View Post
                      this may sound crazy, but have a aerial broadcast channel nationally, that is just for tv shows that are sci fis etc
                      You would have to have a network of broadcast stations; TV signals are Line Of Sight, the curvature of the earth would prevent one station from reaching the entire country. But we already have networks.. And they carry jockstrap crap.

A sci-fi oriented or exclusive network would not be financially workable.

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                        If you guys are ready for a dedicated Orville folder, I'll make one. I'm enjoying the show and our episode guide on SciFi Stream is doing really well traffic-wise.

~Darren
                        This was from Darren, so I think he'll do it with enough requests.
                        sigpic

Comment

Heyyy an Orville subfolder!
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Heyyy an Orville subfolder!
                            "Darren, you wanna open this jar of pickles for me?"
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

*cuts off P90's leg*
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Thanks for this board. =)

Comment

Working...
                                X